nVidia Boot Agent 253.0543 Help with new installation
Hello everyone. I'm pretty new into the building game, and I had a few questions.
I've put together a new setup with the following items:

Intel Quad Core Q6600
xfx 780i MoBo
OCZ 4 GB RAM
Maxtor 500 GB HD (SATA)
Sony 20X DVD (SATA)
xfx GE Force 8800 Video Card

I can get it to the BIOS and it shows the FF on the counter... however, after exiting the BIOS and putting the Vista64 CD in, It comes up with this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data...

Boot from CDE:

NVIDIA Boot Agent 253.0543
Copyright © 2001-2008
Copyright © 1997-2008
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I've tried to change the boot order in the BIOS which is currently set to boot:
1. HDD
2. CD ROM

My question is, what is the next step, is it because the DVD is SATA, that the MoBo doesn't recognize the deivce? How do I get it to do so without the OS installed? Do I need an IDE CD-ROM?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello everyone. I'm pretty new into the building game, and I had a few questions.

I've put together a new setup with the following items:

Intel Quad Core Q6600

xfx 780i MoBo

OCZ 4 GB RAM

Maxtor 500 GB HD (SATA)

Sony 20X DVD (SATA)

xfx GE Force 8800 Video Card

I can get it to the BIOS and it shows the FF on the counter... however, after exiting the BIOS and putting the Vista64 CD in, It comes up with this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data...

Boot from CDE:

NVIDIA Boot Agent 253.0543

Copyright © 2001-2008

Copyright © 1997-2008

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I've tried to change the boot order in the BIOS which is currently set to boot:

1. HDD

2. CD ROM

My question is, what is the next step, is it because the DVD is SATA, that the MoBo doesn't recognize the deivce? How do I get it to do so without the OS installed? Do I need an IDE CD-ROM?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted 09/15/2008 01:44 AM   
What happens if you dont have a CD in the ROM?

I know on an ABiT mobo, the BOOT list has like 8-10 items in it, and when using a SATA Optical, it appears near the end of the list with its actual name. You have to scroll down the list to find it.

On some boards, you might have to enable the SATA.

And some VISTAs wont install with more than 2GB, so try that also.
What happens if you dont have a CD in the ROM?

I know on an ABiT mobo, the BOOT list has like 8-10 items in it, and when using a SATA Optical, it appears near the end of the list with its actual name. You have to scroll down the list to find it.

On some boards, you might have to enable the SATA.

And some VISTAs wont install with more than 2GB, so try that also.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 09/15/2008 01:50 AM   
No, it gives me the same error if there is nothing in the DVD drive.

Both SATA devices, the DVD and HDD show up on the list when initially booting up the computer, so the MoBO sees them both.

I went into the BIOS and it shows that SATA is "All Enabled"

I've also then unplugged the SATA cable from the MoBo for the DVD drive and it gives me the same error. Not sure again if it is something where the MoBo doesn't recognize the drive until the drivers are installed or not.

I'll remove the stick of 2GB memory, but I really won't be able to install if there is no DVD ROM detection...
No, it gives me the same error if there is nothing in the DVD drive.

Both SATA devices, the DVD and HDD show up on the list when initially booting up the computer, so the MoBO sees them both.

I went into the BIOS and it shows that SATA is "All Enabled"

I've also then unplugged the SATA cable from the MoBo for the DVD drive and it gives me the same error. Not sure again if it is something where the MoBo doesn't recognize the drive until the drivers are installed or not.

I'll remove the stick of 2GB memory, but I really won't be able to install if there is no DVD ROM detection...

Posted 09/15/2008 12:31 PM   
Can bios be set to boot,

1)Optical/Sata-cd/dvd
2)HDD
3)any others Dissabled!!!

Have you created 64k stripping on the Hdd's in the bios raid utility?
Can bios be set to boot,

1)Optical/Sata-cd/dvd

2)HDD

Posted 09/15/2008 12:46 PM   
[quote name='fatboy' date='Sep 15 2008, 08:46 AM']Can bios be set to boot,

1)Optical/Sata-cd/dvd
2)HDD

[right][snapback]440188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I can do that for the boot.

What does creating a "stripping" entail?
[quote name='fatboy' date='Sep 15 2008, 08:46 AM']Can bios be set to boot,

1)Optical/Sata-cd/dvd

2)HDD

[snapback]440188[/snapback]

Yes, I can do that for the boot.

What does creating a "stripping" entail?

Posted 09/15/2008 02:24 PM   
If you want a quick fix then replace the SATA DVDRW with IDE DVDRW and the problem will disappear.

If no boot device is detected on the DVD or HDD then the motherboard tries other devices including LAN. If no bootable devices are available over LAN it will result in the PXE error.

This is exactly the same problem as another forum post I replied to this morning. Haven't got it resolved yet but you can read about it by checking my posts from today.

My guess at this moment is the motherboard has incorrectly diagnosed the DVD as a HDD. The RAID controller tries to set up RAID but is unable. Enter BIOS and change the following setting so that RAID is disabled.
Integrated Peripherals. > IDE Function Setup > Serial ATA Controller > RAID enabled > Disabled
[img]http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/images/articles/1201367354iekcN90pmu_2_15_l.gif[/img]
If you want a quick fix then replace the SATA DVDRW with IDE DVDRW and the problem will disappear.

If no boot device is detected on the DVD or HDD then the motherboard tries other devices including LAN. If no bootable devices are available over LAN it will result in the PXE error.

This is exactly the same problem as another forum post I replied to this morning. Haven't got it resolved yet but you can read about it by checking my posts from today.

My guess at this moment is the motherboard has incorrectly diagnosed the DVD as a HDD. The RAID controller tries to set up RAID but is unable. Enter BIOS and change the following setting so that RAID is disabled.

Integrated Peripherals. > IDE Function Setup > Serial ATA Controller > RAID enabled > Disabled

Posted 09/16/2008 04:23 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Sep 16 2008, 12:23 AM']If you want a quick fix then replace the SATA DVDRW with IDE DVDRW and the problem will disappear.

If no boot device is detected on the DVD or HDD then the motherboard tries other devices including LAN.  If no bootable devices are available over LAN it will result in the PXE error. 

This is exactly the same problem as another forum post I replied to this morning.  Haven't got it resolved yet but you can read about it by checking my posts from today.

My guess at this moment is the motherboard has incorrectly diagnosed the DVD as a HDD.  The RAID controller tries to set up RAID but is unable.  Enter BIOS and change the following setting so that RAID is disabled.
[img]http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/images/articles/1201367354iekcN90pmu_2_15_l.gif[/img]
[right][snapback]440461[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

I checked and saw that RAID was disabled for all accounts. Therefore, I just went and picked up a cheap IDE DVD drive and was able to boot and get into Windows Install.

My next question is, when I then install windows, will I have a problem seeing the SATA HDD? I want to install Vista64 onto my new machine. Or will it give me the option to add drivers?

Thanks.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Sep 16 2008, 12:23 AM']If you want a quick fix then replace the SATA DVDRW with IDE DVDRW and the problem will disappear.

If no boot device is detected on the DVD or HDD then the motherboard tries other devices including LAN.  If no bootable devices are available over LAN it will result in the PXE error. 

This is exactly the same problem as another forum post I replied to this morning.  Haven't got it resolved yet but you can read about it by checking my posts from today.

My guess at this moment is the motherboard has incorrectly diagnosed the DVD as a HDD.  The RAID controller tries to set up RAID but is unable.  Enter BIOS and change the following setting so that RAID is disabled.

[snapback]440461[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply.

I checked and saw that RAID was disabled for all accounts. Therefore, I just went and picked up a cheap IDE DVD drive and was able to boot and get into Windows Install.

My next question is, when I then install windows, will I have a problem seeing the SATA HDD? I want to install Vista64 onto my new machine. Or will it give me the option to add drivers?

Thanks.

Posted 09/16/2008 03:59 PM   
Buying an IDE DVD was taking the easy option. :P
I really don't know why it wasn't detecting the DVD. I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the HDD, but I'm not in any position to really know. I didn't even know this was an issue until a few days ago when I started googling about it. Personally I've never had any problem with SATA drives other than plugging them in and they work.

I think I might have shown the wrong area in BIOS where to change the SATA function. There should be an option to choose either RAID, AHCI or IDE. If you come under any trouble with the hard drive just look for that option, I think RAID is default sometimes which could have caused the problem with your DVD, changing it to IDE would work, the drives then behave just like normal IDE drives and no drivers to install.
Buying an IDE DVD was taking the easy option. :P

I really don't know why it wasn't detecting the DVD. I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the HDD, but I'm not in any position to really know. I didn't even know this was an issue until a few days ago when I started googling about it. Personally I've never had any problem with SATA drives other than plugging them in and they work.

I think I might have shown the wrong area in BIOS where to change the SATA function. There should be an option to choose either RAID, AHCI or IDE. If you come under any trouble with the hard drive just look for that option, I think RAID is default sometimes which could have caused the problem with your DVD, changing it to IDE would work, the drives then behave just like normal IDE drives and no drivers to install.

Posted 09/17/2008 09:28 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:28 AM']Buying an IDE DVD was taking the easy option.  :P
I really don't know why it wasn't detecting the DVD.  I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the HDD, but I'm not in any position to really know.  I didn't even know this was an issue until a few days ago when I started googling about it.  Personally I've never had any problem with SATA drives other than plugging them in and they work.

I think I might have shown the wrong area in BIOS where to change the SATA function.  There should be an option to choose either RAID, AHCI or IDE.  If you come under any trouble with the hard drive just look for that option, I think RAID is default sometimes which could have caused the problem with your DVD, changing it to IDE would work, the drives then behave just like normal IDE drives and no drivers to install.
[right][snapback]441032[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm curious about flipping it to IDE (the SATA DVD ROM) so I will definitely give that a shot to see if that will allow it to boot from there. Thanks again for your help.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:28 AM']Buying an IDE DVD was taking the easy option.  :P

I really don't know why it wasn't detecting the DVD.  I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the HDD, but I'm not in any position to really know.  I didn't even know this was an issue until a few days ago when I started googling about it.  Personally I've never had any problem with SATA drives other than plugging them in and they work.

I think I might have shown the wrong area in BIOS where to change the SATA function.  There should be an option to choose either RAID, AHCI or IDE.  If you come under any trouble with the hard drive just look for that option, I think RAID is default sometimes which could have caused the problem with your DVD, changing it to IDE would work, the drives then behave just like normal IDE drives and no drivers to install.

[snapback]441032[/snapback]

I'm curious about flipping it to IDE (the SATA DVD ROM) so I will definitely give that a shot to see if that will allow it to boot from there. Thanks again for your help.

Posted 09/17/2008 11:44 AM   
Scroll To Top