GTX 280 as main GPU 9800GT for PhysX
  1 / 2    
Like the title says i have GTX 280 as my main GPU and a 9800GT i'd like to use purely for rendering PhysX.

In the PhysX control panel however, only one of my cards is recognised.
The 'Select GPU for GeForce PhysX' button does NOT appear.

I have latest 177.83 drivers with Vista 64 and both cards are showing up fine in Device Manager with no conflicts.

Do i require an Nforce chipset/nForce Motherboard for Physx to be able to recognise both GPU's? :blink:
Like the title says i have GTX 280 as my main GPU and a 9800GT i'd like to use purely for rendering PhysX.

I have latest 177.83 drivers with Vista 64 and both cards are showing up fine in Device Manager with no conflicts.

Do i require an Nforce chipset/nForce Motherboard for Physx to be able to recognise both GPU's? :blink:

2x EVGA GTX580 (3GB version) in SLI

Core i7 980x @stock

G.Skill DDR3 12GB @ 1600mhz

EVGA Classified E7624-Way SLI motherboard

LG Blu Ray Player/DVD re-writer

27" Samsung SA950 3D monitor

Auzentek Home Theatre HD X-fi Soundcard

Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround

Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU

Coolermaster HAF X case

3x OCZ Agility 240GB SSD's in RAID 0

2x Seagate 500GB HDD's in RAID 0 (backup)

Posted 08/12/2008 06:47 PM   
[quote name='RavenMaster' date='Aug 12 2008, 07:47 PM']Like the title says i have GTX 280 as my main GPU and a 9800GT i'd like to use purely for rendering PhysX.

Do i require an Nforce chipset/nForce Motherboard for Physx to be able to recognise both GPU's?  :blink:
[right][snapback]424490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seriously? Not one person knows the answer?
[quote name='RavenMaster' date='Aug 12 2008, 07:47 PM']Like the title says i have GTX 280 as my main GPU and a 9800GT i'd like to use purely for rendering PhysX.

Do i require an Nforce chipset/nForce Motherboard for Physx to be able to recognise both GPU's?  :blink:

[snapback]424490[/snapback]

Seriously? Not one person knows the answer?

Core i7 980x @stock

Coolermaster HAF X case

Posted 08/12/2008 08:48 PM   
So you are running 2 different cards in SLI?

That's probably why you have this problem.
So you are running 2 different cards in SLI?

That's probably why you have this problem.

Case: Antec P 180B. modded. 2 x 120mm Noctua fans.

Psu: Corsair HX 750W modular.

Mobo: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR.

Cpu: Intel Core i7 920 2.6GHz @ 3.4 GHz.

Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 3GB DDR 3. 1600

Video cards: Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X Crossfire.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640gb Black edt.

Sound: Auzentech X-FI Prelude. Camebridge Desktop theatre 5.1 speakers.

Posted 08/12/2008 08:57 PM   
I dont think he has them on SLI...he just has them in the same system and asks wether he can use one of those just for Physx.....And i for once dont know the answer.....But i really doubt it....
I dont think he has them on SLI...he just has them in the same system and asks wether he can use one of those just for Physx.....And i for once dont know the answer.....But i really doubt it....

Sincerely

Nik K

JOIN Our Folding@Home NVIDIA User2User Forums Team.

TEAM NUMBER : 142900

PROJECT URL :

Normal Client : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

GPU Client : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Posted 08/12/2008 10:51 PM   
i read earlier @ guru3d that with vista, you have to actually connect both cards to a monitor in order to be able to use the multi-gpu physx mode. the suggestion was to simply connect both to the same monitor (dvi + vga), or extend your desktop if using two.

[quote]Now there's a thing you will need to be aware of in the Multi GPU mode, it's actually a Vista limitation but a second monitor must be attached to enable PhysX running on the second GeForce GPU. You must extend your Windows Vista desktop onto that monitor.

To bypass that issue, most monitors have a standard VGA and a DVI connector, right? Just use both. This limitation is related to the Windows Vista display driver model (WDDM). This limitation does not exist in Windows XP. In NVIDIA's upcoming drivers, they will be offering a workaround to improve the experience for Windows Vista users.

With a single card or two cards in SLI mode you will not have this problem.[/quote]

hth.
i read earlier @ guru3d that with vista, you have to actually connect both cards to a monitor in order to be able to use the multi-gpu physx mode. the suggestion was to simply connect both to the same monitor (dvi + vga), or extend your desktop if using two.

Now there's a thing you will need to be aware of in the Multi GPU mode, it's actually a Vista limitation but a second monitor must be attached to enable PhysX running on the second GeForce GPU. You must extend your Windows Vista desktop onto that monitor.

To bypass that issue, most monitors have a standard VGA and a DVI connector, right? Just use both. This limitation is related to the Windows Vista display driver model (WDDM). This limitation does not exist in Windows XP. In NVIDIA's upcoming drivers, they will be offering a workaround to improve the experience for Windows Vista users.

With a single card or two cards in SLI mode you will not have this problem.

hth.

|| CPU Intel Core i7 3820 || HSF Noctua NH-U12P SE2 || MOBO ASUS Rampage IV Formula ||
|| DDR3 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP@1600MHz || GPU (2x) SLI EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) ||
|| LCD BenQ XL2420T (1080p@120Hz) || AUDIO X-Fi Titanium || CASE Lian Li PC-B25FWB ||
|| PSU Corsair AX1200 || SSD Intel 520 Series (120GB) || OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) ||

Posted 08/13/2008 12:36 AM   
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:36 AM']i read earlier @ guru3d that with vista, you have to actually connect both cards to a monitor in order to be able to use the multi-gpu physx mode. the suggestion was to simply connect both to the same monitor (dvi + vga), or extend your desktop if using two.
hth.
[right][snapback]424642[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh wicked cool, thanks man! I knew i was missing something :lol:
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:36 AM']i read earlier @ guru3d that with vista, you have to actually connect both cards to a monitor in order to be able to use the multi-gpu physx mode. the suggestion was to simply connect both to the same monitor (dvi + vga), or extend your desktop if using two.

hth.

[snapback]424642[/snapback]

Oh wicked cool, thanks man! I knew i was missing something :lol:

Core i7 980x @stock

Coolermaster HAF X case

Posted 08/13/2008 12:48 AM   
no problem... glad i could help.

btw (at the risk of sounding a little dense), is there anything terribly complicated to running both cards on a non-sli board? i'm looking at doing this by adding a 9500gt for physx, but i have a crossfire motherboard. (yeah, i'd rather have a 9600gt or a 9800gtx+ for this, but the 9500 is a bit smaller and shouldn't produce near the heat or noise.) does the one driver install handle both cards at once, or would i have to install the driver with just the 260gtx installed, and then add the 9500gt? i don't foresee any issues and i'm more than capable... but i'm still curious as to what to expect before i go and try this.

tia.
no problem... glad i could help.

btw (at the risk of sounding a little dense), is there anything terribly complicated to running both cards on a non-sli board? i'm looking at doing this by adding a 9500gt for physx, but i have a crossfire motherboard. (yeah, i'd rather have a 9600gt or a 9800gtx+ for this, but the 9500 is a bit smaller and shouldn't produce near the heat or noise.) does the one driver install handle both cards at once, or would i have to install the driver with just the 260gtx installed, and then add the 9500gt? i don't foresee any issues and i'm more than capable... but i'm still curious as to what to expect before i go and try this.

tia.

|| CPU Intel Core i7 3820 || HSF Noctua NH-U12P SE2 || MOBO ASUS Rampage IV Formula ||
|| DDR3 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP@1600MHz || GPU (2x) SLI EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) ||
|| LCD BenQ XL2420T (1080p@120Hz) || AUDIO X-Fi Titanium || CASE Lian Li PC-B25FWB ||
|| PSU Corsair AX1200 || SSD Intel 520 Series (120GB) || OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) ||

Posted 08/13/2008 12:52 AM   
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:52 AM']no problem... glad i could help.

tia.
[right][snapback]424648[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well im now running my GTX 280 as my main card and my 9800GT is doing the PhysX and im on a Crossfire motherboard too.

I put both GPU's into the machine and uninstalled the old drivers. Then installed the latest 177.83 (PhysX support included) and the driver does for both cards :)

Then of course u have to go into Vista display settings or XP display settings (not the nvidia panel) and click on the drop down box where u see ur main card. When the box drops down u should see ur other card too. Set both cards to the same resolution then click on 'extend to desktop'box and check that then 'apply'

You should now be able to see the 'Select GPU for Geforce PhysX' option box in the settings in the PhysX control panel. Keep ur best card for main graphics and use ur cheaper one for the PhysX.
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:52 AM']no problem... glad i could help.

tia.

[snapback]424648[/snapback]

Well im now running my GTX 280 as my main card and my 9800GT is doing the PhysX and im on a Crossfire motherboard too.

I put both GPU's into the machine and uninstalled the old drivers. Then installed the latest 177.83 (PhysX support included) and the driver does for both cards :)

Then of course u have to go into Vista display settings or XP display settings (not the nvidia panel) and click on the drop down box where u see ur main card. When the box drops down u should see ur other card too. Set both cards to the same resolution then click on 'extend to desktop'box and check that then 'apply'

You should now be able to see the 'Select GPU for Geforce PhysX' option box in the settings in the PhysX control panel. Keep ur best card for main graphics and use ur cheaper one for the PhysX.

Core i7 980x @stock

Coolermaster HAF X case

Posted 08/13/2008 10:30 AM   
cool. hopefully i shouldn't have the issue with having to extend the desktop since i'm on xp. i was mostly curious as to how i was going to have to do the driver install (if i was going to have to yank the second card out everytime that i upgraded drivers or reinstalled windows then i wasn't going to bother). much appreciated!
cool. hopefully i shouldn't have the issue with having to extend the desktop since i'm on xp. i was mostly curious as to how i was going to have to do the driver install (if i was going to have to yank the second card out everytime that i upgraded drivers or reinstalled windows then i wasn't going to bother). much appreciated!

Posted 08/13/2008 10:42 AM   
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 02:52 AM']no problem... glad i could help.

tia.
[right][snapback]424648[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, the driver will handle all cards it finds that it supports (you can even add support for other cards it normally does not support by adding the needed values to nvdisp.ini before you install the drivers, I do this all the time because I run a 6600GT and a 9600GT on a single board, both driving their own monitor). In fact WDDM [b]REQUIRES[/b] that all cards are handled by a single driver package, otherwise it will just disable all cards that are run by a driver other than the one used by the primary GPU/Monitor.
[quote name='deadite_9' date='Aug 13 2008, 02:52 AM']no problem... glad i could help.

tia.

[snapback]424648[/snapback]

Yes, the driver will handle all cards it finds that it supports (you can even add support for other cards it normally does not support by adding the needed values to nvdisp.ini before you install the drivers, I do this all the time because I run a 6600GT and a 9600GT on a single board, both driving their own monitor). In fact WDDM REQUIRES that all cards are handled by a single driver package, otherwise it will just disable all cards that are run by a driver other than the one used by the primary GPU/Monitor.

Posted 08/14/2008 09:59 AM   
[quote name='DarkJack' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:59 AM']Yes, the driver will handle all cards it finds that it supports (you can even add support for other cards it normally does not support by adding the needed values to nvdisp.ini before you install the drivers, I do this all the time because I run a 6600GT and a 9600GT on a single board, both driving their own monitor). In fact WDDM [b]REQUIRES[/b] that all cards are handled by a single driver package, otherwise it will just disable all cards that are run by a driver other than the one used by the primary GPU/Monitor.
[right][snapback]425499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
thanks! /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='DarkJack' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:59 AM']Yes, the driver will handle all cards it finds that it supports (you can even add support for other cards it normally does not support by adding the needed values to nvdisp.ini before you install the drivers, I do this all the time because I run a 6600GT and a 9600GT on a single board, both driving their own monitor). In fact WDDM REQUIRES that all cards are handled by a single driver package, otherwise it will just disable all cards that are run by a driver other than the one used by the primary GPU/Monitor.

[snapback]425499[/snapback]

thanks! /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 08/14/2008 10:38 AM   
phyx can't even detect my 9800gt when it is alone....
phyx can't even detect my 9800gt when it is alone....

Posted 08/20/2008 03:24 PM   
Sorry for the bump, but it still beats creating another topic.

I'm currently using an Asus 8800GTX, and I have another card here doing nothing (the 9500 GT 1GB).

It wasn't really clear for me how this got solved, but is it possible to use my 8800 GTX as a main card, and the 9500 GT as a PhysX processor, even though it's from a different serie?

And if it's possible, can someone explain it/send a link with a how-to?

Thanks in advance,

Mayco.
Sorry for the bump, but it still beats creating another topic.

I'm currently using an Asus 8800GTX, and I have another card here doing nothing (the 9500 GT 1GB).

It wasn't really clear for me how this got solved, but is it possible to use my 8800 GTX as a main card, and the 9500 GT as a PhysX processor, even though it's from a different serie?

Thanks in advance,

Mayco.

Posted 09/03/2008 07:34 PM   
[quote name='Mayco' date='Sep 3 2008, 08:34 PM']Sorry for the bump, but it still beats creating another topic.

Thanks in advance,

Mayco.
[right][snapback]434953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah its possible. Go into your (Windows) display settings. You'll see u have several monitor screens. Click on the tab below so it drops down and it will say something like

1. <monitor> 8800GTX
2. <monitor> 9500GT

Click on the '9500GT' and make sure the box is checked where it says 'make this my default monitor, to make your 9500GT work as ur main card.

Then click on the 8800GTX and check the box where it says 'extend to desktop' and that will make the 8800GTX run as 2nd card.

Then go to Nvidia PhysX in All Programs and go to settings. The tab that says 'choose which GPU you want as your physx card' should be there. Choose which card u want as ur Physx card (8800GTX would be best choice) and let the 9500GT do the rest :)
[quote name='Mayco' date='Sep 3 2008, 08:34 PM']Sorry for the bump, but it still beats creating another topic.

Thanks in advance,

Mayco.

[snapback]434953[/snapback]

Yeah its possible. Go into your (Windows) display settings. You'll see u have several monitor screens. Click on the tab below so it drops down and it will say something like

1. <monitor> 8800GTX

2. <monitor> 9500GT

Click on the '9500GT' and make sure the box is checked where it says 'make this my default monitor, to make your 9500GT work as ur main card.

Then click on the 8800GTX and check the box where it says 'extend to desktop' and that will make the 8800GTX run as 2nd card.

Then go to Nvidia PhysX in All Programs and go to settings. The tab that says 'choose which GPU you want as your physx card' should be there. Choose which card u want as ur Physx card (8800GTX would be best choice) and let the 9500GT do the rest :)

Core i7 980x @stock

Coolermaster HAF X case

Posted 09/04/2008 06:06 PM   
Okay, thanks for helping.

I was thinking: Isn't the 8800GTX way better than the 9500GT? Even tough it's older, it's still better, isn't it?
Okay, thanks for helping.

I was thinking: Isn't the 8800GTX way better than the 9500GT? Even tough it's older, it's still better, isn't it?

Posted 09/04/2008 09:08 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top