Install/Uninstall Issue
  1 / 2    
I have recently purchased a GeForce 8400 GS and i went home and did everything i was supposed to do and im having just one problem. The Driver i had previously wont uninstall. Its like an aggravating ghost driver. The drivers graphics card isnt even plugged in.

Here is a step by step process of what i did. Tell me if i did anything wrong.

1. Opened the box.

2. Took out graphics card.

3. Turned off PC.

4. Put in new graphics card and took old sh*tty one out.

5. Turned on PC.

6. Put new graphics card installation disc in. (PNY Nvidia 175.16)

7. Followed installation process and installed new drivers.

8. Restarted PC.

9. Went to: Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Device Manager>Video Adapters>ATI Radeon Xpress 200>Uninstall

10. Was prompted to restart PC after uninstall so i did.

11. Almost threw my PC was started back up again and the old driver was still there in the Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Device Manager>Video Adapters, along with the new driver (GeForce 8400 GS)

Please Help!
I have recently purchased a GeForce 8400 GS and i went home and did everything i was supposed to do and im having just one problem. The Driver i had previously wont uninstall. Its like an aggravating ghost driver. The drivers graphics card isnt even plugged in.

Here is a step by step process of what i did. Tell me if i did anything wrong.

1. Opened the box.

2. Took out graphics card.

3. Turned off PC.

4. Put in new graphics card and took old sh*tty one out.

5. Turned on PC.

6. Put new graphics card installation disc in. (PNY Nvidia 175.16)

7. Followed installation process and installed new drivers.

8. Restarted PC.

9. Went to: Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Device Manager>Video Adapters>ATI Radeon Xpress 200>Uninstall

10. Was prompted to restart PC after uninstall so i did.

11. Almost threw my PC was started back up again and the old driver was still there in the Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Device Manager>Video Adapters, along with the new driver (GeForce 8400 GS)

Please Help!

Posted 07/29/2008 11:58 PM   
You should have uninstalled the old drivers before installing your new ones.
Uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, uninstall the ATI drivers, restart, install [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655"]Driver Sweeper[/url], reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper, remove all traces of nVidia and ATI drivers using Driver Sweeper, reboot and install the nVidia drivers again.
You should have uninstalled the old drivers before installing your new ones.

Uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, uninstall the ATI drivers, restart, install Driver Sweeper, reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper, remove all traces of nVidia and ATI drivers using Driver Sweeper, reboot and install the nVidia drivers again.

Posted 07/30/2008 12:29 AM   
[quote name='theprofessor13' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:29 PM']You should have uninstalled the old drivers before installing your new ones.
Uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, uninstall the ATI drivers, restart, install [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655"]Driver Sweeper[/url], reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper, remove all traces of nVidia and ATI drivers using Driver Sweeper, reboot and install the nVidia drivers again.
[right][snapback]417887[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hmm, I dont know if Drive Sweeper isnt picking up all the ATI files because it came back after i followed your instructions. Grr :(
[quote name='theprofessor13' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:29 PM']You should have uninstalled the old drivers before installing your new ones.

Uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, uninstall the ATI drivers, restart, install Driver Sweeper, reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper, remove all traces of nVidia and ATI drivers using Driver Sweeper, reboot and install the nVidia drivers again.

[snapback]417887[/snapback]

Hmm, I dont know if Drive Sweeper isnt picking up all the ATI files because it came back after i followed your instructions. Grr :(

Posted 07/30/2008 02:03 AM   
You could possibly try using [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745#download"]Driver Cleaner Professional[/url] in the steps above instead of Driver Sweeper.
You could possibly try using Driver Cleaner Professional in the steps above instead of Driver Sweeper.

Posted 07/30/2008 03:36 AM   
Is the Radeon Xpress 200 even a video card, or is it a motherboard chip? I'm not sure but maybe it is some kind of onboard video which can be disabled within BIOS.
Is the Radeon Xpress 200 even a video card, or is it a motherboard chip? I'm not sure but maybe it is some kind of onboard video which can be disabled within BIOS.

Posted 07/30/2008 04:36 AM   
I'm guessing it's not as he said that he removed the old one in the first post. It could have integrated graphics as well though.
I'm guessing it's not as he said that he removed the old one in the first post. It could have integrated graphics as well though.

Posted 07/30/2008 04:53 AM   
Not sure, I searched with google and the results seem to indicate that Radeon Xpress 200 is a motherboard chip, basically ATI's competition to the nforce4.

aalorn, could you give us the details of your motherboard and also what was the old video card you removed?
Not sure, I searched with google and the results seem to indicate that Radeon Xpress 200 is a motherboard chip, basically ATI's competition to the nforce4.

aalorn, could you give us the details of your motherboard and also what was the old video card you removed?

Posted 07/30/2008 05:15 AM   
I dont know..but its really frustrating. Everytime i uninstall the ATI one and follow theproffessor's instructions it comes back somehow. Here is a picture of the graphics card i pulled out of my PC (Yes i know its sh*tty)

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w273/Aalorn/Picture001.jpg[/img]

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3700+
2.19 GHZ
1gb Ram, 200gb HD

This is everything that came with

[url="http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00503717&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN"]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...=reg_R1002_USEN[/url]
I dont know..but its really frustrating. Everytime i uninstall the ATI one and follow theproffessor's instructions it comes back somehow. Here is a picture of the graphics card i pulled out of my PC (Yes i know its sh*tty)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor

3700+

2.19 GHZ

1gb Ram, 200gb HD

This is everything that came with

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...=reg_R1002_USEN

Posted 07/30/2008 01:09 PM   
I think it may be like an onboard video adapter because i uninstall it, boot to safe mode. Run driver cleaner, restart and then the driver is installed again.

Edit: Check this out, and event from when i ran Driver Cleaner. Protected!?

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w273/Aalorn/lolol.jpg[/img]
I think it may be like an onboard video adapter because i uninstall it, boot to safe mode. Run driver cleaner, restart and then the driver is installed again.

Edit: Check this out, and event from when i ran Driver Cleaner. Protected!?

Posted 07/30/2008 03:06 PM   
The device which you are holding in your hand is not a video card, it is a network card or modem. The video card is where the monitor plugs into.

EDIT: I just checked where you linked to the HP website and you definately do have integrated (onboard) video with your motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS to disable it. First find the option in BIOS where to disable then follow these steps.
1. In device manager, select xpress 200 and choose uninstall, tick the checkbox to also remove driver.
2. When the PC is restarting, enter BIOS and disable the onboard video.
The device which you are holding in your hand is not a video card, it is a network card or modem. The video card is where the monitor plugs into.

EDIT: I just checked where you linked to the HP website and you definately do have integrated (onboard) video with your motherboard. You will need to go into BIOS to disable it. First find the option in BIOS where to disable then follow these steps.

1. In device manager, select xpress 200 and choose uninstall, tick the checkbox to also remove driver.

2. When the PC is restarting, enter BIOS and disable the onboard video.

Posted 07/30/2008 03:27 PM   
No thats the video card...lol.

EDIT: I think that may be the network/modem card i think your right. Which means i have an integrated graphics card IN my motherboard. How do i fix that lol.
No thats the video card...lol.

EDIT: I think that may be the network/modem card i think your right. Which means i have an integrated graphics card IN my motherboard. How do i fix that lol.

Posted 07/30/2008 03:32 PM   
If that's a video card then I'm Angelina Jolie's underwear.
If that's a video card then I'm Angelina Jolie's underwear.

Posted 07/30/2008 03:33 PM   
I have been in BIOS and have searched for the option to turn off Onboard Video but have come up with nothing. What other options could be used to turn it off in BIOS?
I have been in BIOS and have searched for the option to turn off Onboard Video but have come up with nothing. What other options could be used to turn it off in BIOS?

Posted 07/30/2008 03:36 PM   
First a general warning, You'll need to be careful making changes in BIOS with anything you are unsure about. Only change settings if you know exactly what they do. If you are not sure what any setting means then just ask.

It is usually in the advanced section, under the heading of "integrated peripherals". There would be an option for onboard video, or integrated video. You should be able to disable it, or at least change the preference so the the add-on video card will take preference.

All BIOS are different, so it's impossible to tell you exactly what the option will be named. If you have a HP computer, you should be able to ring their support line. Or maybe there is a manual on their website which explains the different BIOS options.
First a general warning, You'll need to be careful making changes in BIOS with anything you are unsure about. Only change settings if you know exactly what they do. If you are not sure what any setting means then just ask.

It is usually in the advanced section, under the heading of "integrated peripherals". There would be an option for onboard video, or integrated video. You should be able to disable it, or at least change the preference so the the add-on video card will take preference.

All BIOS are different, so it's impossible to tell you exactly what the option will be named. If you have a HP computer, you should be able to ring their support line. Or maybe there is a manual on their website which explains the different BIOS options.

Posted 07/30/2008 03:48 PM   
I did online chat with an HP technician and he told me to go to BIOS on startup>Advanced>and then go to Primary Display Adapter and change it from Onboard to PCI.

I did...and then i restarted, uninstalled ATI, restarted, booted into safe mode, ran drive sweeper, restarted and then booted up regularly because i was going to install the Nvidia drivers now and then im my system tray a popup said "New Hardware Found - ATI Radeon XPRESS 200" i was like F*CK YOU. Then about 2 minutes later another popup came up and said "Your new hardware has been installed, would you like to restart now?" ..im so p*ssed. How do i disable the found new hardware thing? Is that even the problem? Any suggestions?
I did online chat with an HP technician and he told me to go to BIOS on startup>Advanced>and then go to Primary Display Adapter and change it from Onboard to PCI.

I did...and then i restarted, uninstalled ATI, restarted, booted into safe mode, ran drive sweeper, restarted and then booted up regularly because i was going to install the Nvidia drivers now and then im my system tray a popup said "New Hardware Found - ATI Radeon XPRESS 200" i was like F*CK YOU. Then about 2 minutes later another popup came up and said "Your new hardware has been installed, would you like to restart now?" ..im so p*ssed. How do i disable the found new hardware thing? Is that even the problem? Any suggestions?

Posted 07/30/2008 04:42 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top