8800 GT for Mac Pro
I've been digging quite a bit, so I appologize if I've missed a post on this. Anyway I have the Early 08 Mac Pro and have purchased the 8800 GT Upgrade Kit. The installation is said to be "plug and play" but I am not finding that the case. I have Mac 10.5.4 (10.5.2 required) and simply get a black screen on boot up. Everything is attached snuggly, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. No one seems to be reporting anything like this (on any forum that I 've seen) so Im wondering if perhaps I just have a bad card??

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance!
I've been digging quite a bit, so I appologize if I've missed a post on this. Anyway I have the Early 08 Mac Pro and have purchased the 8800 GT Upgrade Kit. The installation is said to be "plug and play" but I am not finding that the case. I have Mac 10.5.4 (10.5.2 required) and simply get a black screen on boot up. Everything is attached snuggly, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. No one seems to be reporting anything like this (on any forum that I 've seen) so Im wondering if perhaps I just have a bad card??

Thank you in advance!

Posted 07/22/2008 08:01 PM   
[quote name='apoction' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:01 PM']I've been digging quite a bit, so I appologize if I've missed a post on this. Anyway I have the Early 08 Mac Pro and have purchased the 8800 GT Upgrade Kit.  The installation is said to be "plug and play" but I am not finding that the case.  I have Mac 10.5.4 (10.5.2 required) and simply get a black screen on boot up.  Everything is attached snuggly, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. No one seems to be reporting anything like this (on any forum that I 've seen) so Im wondering if perhaps I just have a bad card??

Thank you in advance!
[right][snapback]414402[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Try testing your card in a PC. If it works, then I guess apple didn't do an "unbranding" job to justify their double price this time. >.<
A 8800GT Upgrade Kit here costs more than a Geforce 8800 GTX (gtx for pcs, of course) :mellow:
Frankly, there are some brands of 8800GT out there that work with your Mac Pro and you'll pay half the price.
[quote name='apoction' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:01 PM']I've been digging quite a bit, so I appologize if I've missed a post on this. Anyway I have the Early 08 Mac Pro and have purchased the 8800 GT Upgrade Kit.  The installation is said to be "plug and play" but I am not finding that the case.  I have Mac 10.5.4 (10.5.2 required) and simply get a black screen on boot up.  Everything is attached snuggly, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. No one seems to be reporting anything like this (on any forum that I 've seen) so Im wondering if perhaps I just have a bad card??

Thank you in advance!

[snapback]414402[/snapback]

Try testing your card in a PC. If it works, then I guess apple didn't do an "unbranding" job to justify their double price this time. >.<

A 8800GT Upgrade Kit here costs more than a Geforce 8800 GTX (gtx for pcs, of course) :mellow:

Frankly, there are some brands of 8800GT out there that work with your Mac Pro and you'll pay half the price.

Posted 07/23/2008 12:54 AM   
Hi Apoption, I just buy the 8800GT upgrade kit and have the same problem. Did you find out whats the problem? just a bad card? I would really appreciate any information

thanks for any help

-Fausto
Hi Apoption, I just buy the 8800GT upgrade kit and have the same problem. Did you find out whats the problem? just a bad card? I would really appreciate any information

thanks for any help

-Fausto

Posted 09/23/2008 07:31 AM   
[quote name='filipetolhuizen' date='Jul 22 2008, 06:54 PM']Try testing your card in a PC. If it works, then I guess apple didn't do an "unbranding" job to justify their double price this time.  >.<
A 8800GT Upgrade Kit here costs more than a Geforce 8800 GTX (gtx for pcs, of course)  :mellow:
[right][snapback]414519[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Don't listen to him. An Apple video card will not work in a PC. You may damage the card or PC by doing this.

Got your OS fully updated? Is the card actually designed for a Mac? Power supply enough for the card? Plug everything in?
[quote name='filipetolhuizen' date='Jul 22 2008, 06:54 PM']Try testing your card in a PC. If it works, then I guess apple didn't do an "unbranding" job to justify their double price this time.  >.<

A 8800GT Upgrade Kit here costs more than a Geforce 8800 GTX (gtx for pcs, of course)  :mellow:

[snapback]414519[/snapback]

Don't listen to him. An Apple video card will not work in a PC. You may damage the card or PC by doing this.

Got your OS fully updated? Is the card actually designed for a Mac? Power supply enough for the card? Plug everything in?

Posted 09/23/2008 11:26 AM   
[quote name='Hexen525' date='Sep 23 2008, 08:26 AM']Don't listen to him. An Apple video card will not work in a PC. You may damage the card or PC by doing this.

[right][snapback]443246[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A regular PC videocard would work on the old MacPro (replacing the bundled 7300 GT with a regular 7800 GT is known to work). Won't work properly on the new one due to some kind of information that has to be present on the BIOS, sorry for the misinformation. If you put a regular PC card in the new Mac Pro, it'll boot but you'll be stuck in just one resolution. You only needed a differenced version of the card for the mac to boot when it was powerpc based.
Since the 8800GT is the official upgrade for the mac pro, the power supply bundled in the mac pro must be enough for it (it runs 2 quad core Xeon processors already).
[quote name='Hexen525' date='Sep 23 2008, 08:26 AM']Don't listen to him. An Apple video card will not work in a PC. You may damage the card or PC by doing this.

[snapback]443246[/snapback]

A regular PC videocard would work on the old MacPro (replacing the bundled 7300 GT with a regular 7800 GT is known to work). Won't work properly on the new one due to some kind of information that has to be present on the BIOS, sorry for the misinformation. If you put a regular PC card in the new Mac Pro, it'll boot but you'll be stuck in just one resolution. You only needed a differenced version of the card for the mac to boot when it was powerpc based.

Since the 8800GT is the official upgrade for the mac pro, the power supply bundled in the mac pro must be enough for it (it runs 2 quad core Xeon processors already).

Posted 09/24/2008 02:40 AM   
Scroll To Top