Did Nvidia Ever Fix Overscan Via DVI=>HDMI? For HDTVs??
It's been about 7 months or so, but at that time I was trying to get my 8800GTX to properly display on my HDTV. It overscanned like crazy, and this is because the Sony HDTV itself overscanned (and the TV had no option to reduce/fix overscan).

Now, back then there was a utility included with Nvidia drivers called "resize desktop" or something like that, where I could drag the screen size of this screen image to fit the actual viewable area on my HDTV, and the Nvidia drivers were suppposed to make that the new borders & viewable area for output to the screen. But right after accepting the new size, the resized screen would just reset and NOTHING happened to fix this. >.<

Now, I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue. I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??). But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV? (!)

Did Nvidia Fix Overscan???
It's been about 7 months or so, but at that time I was trying to get my 8800GTX to properly display on my HDTV. It overscanned like crazy, and this is because the Sony HDTV itself overscanned (and the TV had no option to reduce/fix overscan).

Now, back then there was a utility included with Nvidia drivers called "resize desktop" or something like that, where I could drag the screen size of this screen image to fit the actual viewable area on my HDTV, and the Nvidia drivers were suppposed to make that the new borders & viewable area for output to the screen. But right after accepting the new size, the resized screen would just reset and NOTHING happened to fix this. >.<

Now, I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue. I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??). But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV? (!)

[Monitor]: Acer H5360 3D 720p Projector on 80" Screen

[CPU]: INTEL i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz

[CPU Cooler]: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

[RAM]: Corsair Vengeance 4GB @ 1,866MHz

[Mobo]: MSI P67A-GD65

[GPU]: eVGA GTX 580SC @ 920 / 1840 / 2065

[PSU]: Corsair AX850 80+ Gold

[HDD]: Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10k RPM

[Case]: Antec Three Hundred

[OS]: Windows 7 x64

[3DMark06 Score]: 31,048

Posted 07/08/2008 07:09 PM   
[quote name='CyberCT' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:09 PM']It's been about 7 months or so, but at that time I was trying to get my 8800GTX to properly display on my HDTV.  It overscanned like crazy, and this is because the Sony HDTV itself overscanned (and the TV had no option to reduce/fix overscan). 

Now, back then there was a utility included with Nvidia drivers called "resize desktop" or something like that, where I could drag the screen size of this screen image to fit the actual viewable area on my HDTV, and the Nvidia drivers were suppposed to make that the new borders & viewable area for output to the screen.  But right after accepting the new size, the resized screen would just reset and NOTHING happened to fix this.  >.<

Now, I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue.  I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??).  But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV?  (!)

[right][snapback]407477[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Um... no.

They never did fix that. I've tried to use DVI/HDMI on two different HDTV's now (both capable of 1080p) I just don't understand it. Both TV's run fine when i hook up my Xbox 360 Elite and use the HDMI/HDMI link for that.

I've tried Nvidia 8800GTS and my new GTX 280 on both HDTV's. Still getting the overscan problem with DVI/HDMI on both cards. The desktop bottom and sides still get cropped. If i resize the desktop then text just looks blurred to hell.

Nvidia fix this please! >.<
[quote name='CyberCT' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:09 PM']It's been about 7 months or so, but at that time I was trying to get my 8800GTX to properly display on my HDTV.  It overscanned like crazy, and this is because the Sony HDTV itself overscanned (and the TV had no option to reduce/fix overscan). 

Now, back then there was a utility included with Nvidia drivers called "resize desktop" or something like that, where I could drag the screen size of this screen image to fit the actual viewable area on my HDTV, and the Nvidia drivers were suppposed to make that the new borders & viewable area for output to the screen.  But right after accepting the new size, the resized screen would just reset and NOTHING happened to fix this.  >.<

Now, I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue.  I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??).  But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV?  (!)

[snapback]407477[/snapback]

Um... no.

They never did fix that. I've tried to use DVI/HDMI on two different HDTV's now (both capable of 1080p) I just don't understand it. Both TV's run fine when i hook up my Xbox 360 Elite and use the HDMI/HDMI link for that.

I've tried Nvidia 8800GTS and my new GTX 280 on both HDTV's. Still getting the overscan problem with DVI/HDMI on both cards. The desktop bottom and sides still get cropped. If i resize the desktop then text just looks blurred to hell.

Nvidia fix this please! >.<

2x EVGA GTX580 (3GB version) in SLI

Core i7 980x @stock

G.Skill DDR3 12GB @ 1600mhz

EVGA Classified E7624-Way SLI motherboard

LG Blu Ray Player/DVD re-writer

27" Samsung SA950 3D monitor

Auzentek Home Theatre HD X-fi Soundcard

Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround

Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU

Coolermaster HAF X case

3x OCZ Agility 240GB SSD's in RAID 0

2x Seagate 500GB HDD's in RAID 0 (backup)

Posted 07/08/2008 09:23 PM   
v175.16 and up- Create Custom Resolution is the only available solution to the problem, and it works great. No artifacts/It does not affect quality at all to run something like 1890x1040i/p. The video card outputs a standard 1080i/p signal (it's just the visible area on you see on the screen gets "shrunk") so the Tv does not scale. A video card can do a WAAAAY better job of scaling than any Tv.
v175.16 and up- Create Custom Resolution is the only available solution to the problem, and it works great. No artifacts/It does not affect quality at all to run something like 1890x1040i/p. The video card outputs a standard 1080i/p signal (it's just the visible area on you see on the screen gets "shrunk") so the Tv does not scale. A video card can do a WAAAAY better job of scaling than any Tv.

Posted 07/08/2008 11:40 PM   
[quote name='CyberCT' date='Jul 8 2008, 12:09 PM']Did Nvidia Fix Overscan???
[right][snapback]407477[/snapback][/right]

I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue.�  I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??).�  But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV?�  (!)
[/quote]

Hello,

I too was looking for a solution and this thread pointed me in the right direction. I signed up for an account just so I can reply to this thread and say, "Yes! and no...." The overscan issue is corrected with the nVidia drivers direct from nVidia. In my particular case I have a 42" Samsung monitor and HDMI output didn't fit the screen at 1366x768. Even when I set the default to 1360x768 I couldn't see the top and sides of the desktop.

I simply went to the advanced settings for the graphics card and created a custom resoltion of 1366x768 and set that. Then I went to the "Resize HDTV Desktop" feature, which completely resolved the screen not fitting properly. The resize option may not be present the first time you're using a custom resolution, so resize first then set the custom resolution and then resize again. For some reason the resize option disappeared the first time I used my custom resolution. I simply set the resolution back to 1360x768, resized then set to custom 1366x768 and resized didn't disapper so I could then fine tune it again.

I'm using a GTX280 on Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Superb results for movies and the desktop.
[quote name='CyberCT' date='Jul 8 2008, 12:09 PM']Did Nvidia Fix Overscan???

[snapback]407477[/snapback]

I was contemplating getting a GTX280, and want to know if Nvidia fixed this issue.�  I know they offer sound over the DVI=>HDMI by using the onboard connectors (so does that mean I need a specific DVI=>HDMI adapter that supports sound??).�  But can I now successfully resize the screen to compensate for overscan on my TV?�  (!)

Hello,

I too was looking for a solution and this thread pointed me in the right direction. I signed up for an account just so I can reply to this thread and say, "Yes! and no...." The overscan issue is corrected with the nVidia drivers direct from nVidia. In my particular case I have a 42" Samsung monitor and HDMI output didn't fit the screen at 1366x768. Even when I set the default to 1360x768 I couldn't see the top and sides of the desktop.

I simply went to the advanced settings for the graphics card and created a custom resoltion of 1366x768 and set that. Then I went to the "Resize HDTV Desktop" feature, which completely resolved the screen not fitting properly. The resize option may not be present the first time you're using a custom resolution, so resize first then set the custom resolution and then resize again. For some reason the resize option disappeared the first time I used my custom resolution. I simply set the resolution back to 1360x768, resized then set to custom 1366x768 and resized didn't disapper so I could then fine tune it again.

I'm using a GTX280 on Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Superb results for movies and the desktop.

Posted 10/25/2008 08:42 PM   
Scroll To Top