Nvidia 8800M GTX and Age of Conan latests drivers
[font="Impact"]Hi Everyone,[/font]
4 Months ago I bought the Alienware M15X (see specs below) with the 8800M GTX Nvidia.
Recently I bought the gaming software Age of Conan, and I noticed a very low Frame Rate compared to what I get in World of Warcraft (60 FPS+), but it was playable, since recent updates this has even gone worse (ingame High gfx mode I get 4 to 10 FPS, ingame low gfx mode about 6 to 15 FPS). It makes the game just about impossible to play.
When I log onto Age of Conan I get the following message from Age of Conan:
[i][color=blue]The currently detected video driver version (Nvidia Display driver release 167.55) is known to behave unstably with our game. It is highly recommended you update your video drivers to at least version Nvidia Display driver ForceWare release 169.21 or later. The latest drivers for your video hardware can be downloaded at [url="http://www.nvidia.com"]http://www.nvidia.com[/url]. Do you want to quit the game and download the latest drivers? Y / N[/color][/i]I understand the version numbers they give to be the last 4 figures of the driver version.

The driver they refer me to is not for my 8800M GTX )it is for 8800 GTX) and has an older release date than the driver (21 Dec. 2007) installed on my laptop.

I am no expert on gfx cards, it is all a very grey area for me, and needless to say I am carefull what I update this computer with.

Are there any other [b]8800M GTX [/b]alienware users playing AOC that have these issues?

MADge /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' />

Area-51® m15x
Chassis - m15x - 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1080p)
Alienware Command Center - Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Indigo
Video - m15x - 512MB Nvidia® GeForceT Go 8800M GTX
CPU - m15x - Intel® CoreT 2 X7900 2.8GHz - Extreme Edition (4MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
RAM - m15x - 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 2048MB
Turbo Cache Memory - Intel® Turbo Memory (1GB) - Accelerate Data Transfer Speed
OS - m15x - Microsoft® Windows® Vista Ultimate
HDD - m15x - 200GB SATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical - m15x - 8X Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW Burner
Wireless - m15x - Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Sound Card - m9750 - High-Definition Audio with surround sound
------------------
System Information
Time of this report: 6/11/2008, 15:58:22
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: m15x
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Extreme CPU X7900 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1541MB used, 4798MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800M GTX
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_0770152D&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1774 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
[color=blue][b]Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6755 (English)[/b][/color]DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/3/2008 14:00:49, 5263360 bytes

Can anyone clarify what drivers I could use with the 8800M GTX?

/fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

Madge
Hi Everyone,

4 Months ago I bought the Alienware M15X (see specs below) with the 8800M GTX Nvidia.

Recently I bought the gaming software Age of Conan, and I noticed a very low Frame Rate compared to what I get in World of Warcraft (60 FPS+), but it was playable, since recent updates this has even gone worse (ingame High gfx mode I get 4 to 10 FPS, ingame low gfx mode about 6 to 15 FPS). It makes the game just about impossible to play.

When I log onto Age of Conan I get the following message from Age of Conan:

The currently detected video driver version (Nvidia Display driver release 167.55) is known to behave unstably with our game. It is highly recommended you update your video drivers to at least version Nvidia Display driver ForceWare release 169.21 or later. The latest drivers for your video hardware can be downloaded at http://www.nvidia.com. Do you want to quit the game and download the latest drivers? Y / NI understand the version numbers they give to be the last 4 figures of the driver version.

The driver they refer me to is not for my 8800M GTX )it is for 8800 GTX) and has an older release date than the driver (21 Dec. 2007) installed on my laptop.

I am no expert on gfx cards, it is all a very grey area for me, and needless to say I am carefull what I update this computer with.

Are there any other 8800M GTX alienware users playing AOC that have these issues?

MADge /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' />

Area-51® m15x

Chassis - m15x - 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1080p)

Alienware Command Center - Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Indigo

Video - m15x - 512MB Nvidia® GeForceT Go 8800M GTX

CPU - m15x - Intel® CoreT 2 X7900 2.8GHz - Extreme Edition (4MB Cache 800MHz FSB)

RAM - m15x - 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 2048MB

Turbo Cache Memory - Intel® Turbo Memory (1GB) - Accelerate Data Transfer Speed

OS - m15x - Microsoft® Windows® Vista Ultimate

HDD - m15x - 200GB SATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Optical - m15x - 8X Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW Burner

Wireless - m15x - Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card

Sound Card - m9750 - High-Definition Audio with surround sound

------------------

System Information

Time of this report: 6/11/2008, 15:58:22

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: m15x

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Extreme CPU X7900 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 1541MB used, 4798MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800M GTX

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_0770152D&REV_A2

Display Memory: 1774 MB

Dedicated Memory: 495 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6755 (English)DDI Version: 10

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 3/3/2008 14:00:49, 5263360 bytes

Can anyone clarify what drivers I could use with the 8800M GTX?

/fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

Madge

Posted 06/16/2008 10:24 AM   
LOL, comparing AoC to WoW in terms of performance? LOLOLOLOLOL. Might as well compare Crysis to Solitare.

Hit the link my sig for laptop drivers. Make sure to read the whole site so you know how to install the drivers properly.
LOL, comparing AoC to WoW in terms of performance? LOLOLOLOLOL. Might as well compare Crysis to Solitare.

Hit the link my sig for laptop drivers. Make sure to read the whole site so you know how to install the drivers properly.

Posted 06/16/2008 11:34 PM   
Welcome to hell Madge. Here is what I can figure out:

- nvidia has a scheme so laptop companies can pay for inclusion in official drivers, or provide them themselves
- laptop makers take the cheap way out, and create and provide the drivers themselves and suck at it
- laptop makers do it once, and then go to sleep, and the user is stuck with old drivers forever

So, it is a now it is a similar situation to microsoft's plug and play (if you pay). Nothing works unless you go to the vendor's site and get a driver.

For example, with my Acer laptop, which I love, I can't just download the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia. When I try to install them, it says "Error, Acer has what you need, not us, go away." It is a 8600M GS and won't play Cossacks or Painkiller gosh darn it. Ruins our little home LAN parties is what it does.

There are workarounds, but I gave up trying. You can edit the text files, after you unzip the drivers and force them to install (there are online guides). Me, all I got was a trip to safe mode to undo them. Another work around, is to use Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows, as I have no problem there with drivers, it is all plug and play and you never ever are even asked about new hardware or anything. With Ubuntu, if a device does not just work, then that is because no driver exists anywhere and don't waste your time, but just wait and it will work when the community gets it done. I guess it is the money squeeze that is the problem. Ubuntu is great for things like WC3, WOW, D3, but most games like say Painkiller, don't work.
Welcome to hell Madge. Here is what I can figure out:

- nvidia has a scheme so laptop companies can pay for inclusion in official drivers, or provide them themselves

- laptop makers take the cheap way out, and create and provide the drivers themselves and suck at it

- laptop makers do it once, and then go to sleep, and the user is stuck with old drivers forever

So, it is a now it is a similar situation to microsoft's plug and play (if you pay). Nothing works unless you go to the vendor's site and get a driver.

For example, with my Acer laptop, which I love, I can't just download the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia. When I try to install them, it says "Error, Acer has what you need, not us, go away." It is a 8600M GS and won't play Cossacks or Painkiller gosh darn it. Ruins our little home LAN parties is what it does.

There are workarounds, but I gave up trying. You can edit the text files, after you unzip the drivers and force them to install (there are online guides). Me, all I got was a trip to safe mode to undo them. Another work around, is to use Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows, as I have no problem there with drivers, it is all plug and play and you never ever are even asked about new hardware or anything. With Ubuntu, if a device does not just work, then that is because no driver exists anywhere and don't waste your time, but just wait and it will work when the community gets it done. I guess it is the money squeeze that is the problem. Ubuntu is great for things like WC3, WOW, D3, but most games like say Painkiller, don't work.

Posted 06/17/2008 01:31 PM   
"Can anyone clarify what drivers I could use with the 8800M GTX?"

Most likely, you can only use what is available on the website from who made the laptop. Then, if a game does not work, you are just supposed to move on and not play that game.

OR, listen to the guy above with his link to drivers. How did I miss that, thanks dude. I will try them out asap. Please please work...
"Can anyone clarify what drivers I could use with the 8800M GTX?"

Most likely, you can only use what is available on the website from who made the laptop. Then, if a game does not work, you are just supposed to move on and not play that game.

OR, listen to the guy above with his link to drivers. How did I miss that, thanks dude. I will try them out asap. Please please work...

Posted 06/17/2008 01:33 PM   
Thanks for the replies.

Been sooooo busy at work and have not have time to try anything. I am slso communicationg with Alienware Australia atm.

But I guess I will have to live with the low FPS for now.

Hexen525, I did not compare AOC with WOW, and I did not expect 60FPS in AOC, but also did not expect 4 FPS that I am getting now. Thanks for the laptop driver site :)

The search for the driver begins /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

MADge
Thanks for the replies.

Been sooooo busy at work and have not have time to try anything. I am slso communicationg with Alienware Australia atm.

But I guess I will have to live with the low FPS for now.

Hexen525, I did not compare AOC with WOW, and I did not expect 60FPS in AOC, but also did not expect 4 FPS that I am getting now. Thanks for the laptop driver site :)

The search for the driver begins /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

MADge

Posted 06/17/2008 05:26 PM   
I know, I was just being a butt :D .

I recommend the 175.16 drivers. They are what I use on my 8600M GT card, and on my 8800GTX SLI desktop. I like them a lot.
I know, I was just being a butt :D .

I recommend the 175.16 drivers. They are what I use on my 8600M GT card, and on my 8800GTX SLI desktop. I like them a lot.

Posted 06/17/2008 06:37 PM   
Just an update, there is a new Beta driver available for the 8800M GTX at the Alienware US website.
175.80_beta FPS improved to 30-40 FPS at high graphix in AOC /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />
Just an update, there is a new Beta driver available for the 8800M GTX at the Alienware US website.

175.80_beta FPS improved to 30-40 FPS at high graphix in AOC /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

Posted 06/26/2008 03:04 PM   
[quote name='Madge' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:04 AM']Just an update, there is a new Beta driver available for the 8800M GTX at the Alienware US website.
175.80_beta FPS improved to 30-40 FPS at high graphix in AOC  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />
[right][snapback]400475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thats pretty cool. BTW, hot character in your icon! Mine doesn't look much different but mine needs a tan like yours. That is interesting that it runs so well on a laptop, granted its a frikin Alienware with that GPU lol. Good to hear drivers fixed you up. Conan is all about updates to the game and drivers now just like Crysis was...until they LOL stopped making updates for it. Drivers still help tho!

Also, it seems much like WoW, when you lower your View Distance in the video options inside AoC it can run a lot better. Conan looks 100% breath-taking with max view/graphics but runs like poop :blink:

I think my view is like 2,000 out of the 3500meters or something. I am very impressed with the Conan video options, play with them for a few mins to tweak it to you liking.
[quote name='Madge' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:04 AM']Just an update, there is a new Beta driver available for the 8800M GTX at the Alienware US website.

175.80_beta FPS improved to 30-40 FPS at high graphix in AOC  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

[snapback]400475[/snapback]

Thats pretty cool. BTW, hot character in your icon! Mine doesn't look much different but mine needs a tan like yours. That is interesting that it runs so well on a laptop, granted its a frikin Alienware with that GPU lol. Good to hear drivers fixed you up. Conan is all about updates to the game and drivers now just like Crysis was...until they LOL stopped making updates for it. Drivers still help tho!

Also, it seems much like WoW, when you lower your View Distance in the video options inside AoC it can run a lot better. Conan looks 100% breath-taking with max view/graphics but runs like poop :blink:

I think my view is like 2,000 out of the 3500meters or something. I am very impressed with the Conan video options, play with them for a few mins to tweak it to you liking.

Posted 06/26/2008 03:20 PM   
Scroll To Top