Vista / 9600GT problem
I've recently bought a new pc with Vista Home Premium installed. It has an ATI Radeon X1250 card onboard, on an Asus M2A-VM HMDI motherboard.

Basically I am trying to install a 9600GT. I've uninstalled all ATI drivers and software for the onboard card, and changed the primary device in BIOS to PCIEx, where the new card is plugged in. Drivers are installed after a lot of failed attempts where the Nvidia Installation would not acknowledge that I am running a 32bit OS, OR it would say "The Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

I know the drivers got picked up because I did actually manage to get the card to work 2 or 3 times, I was then able to go into the Nvidia control center and switch to the highest resolution. Device Manager also showed "Nvidia 9600GT" etc.
After I had done this I assumed I was done messing around with it. However, the next time I booted the PC up again, the new card gave no signal and it turned out the PC switched back to "Standard VGA device", so I am now looking at a very ugly screen.

To sum it up: I believe Vista keeps switching to "Standard VGA graphics-adapter", even though BIOS is set up to use the PCI Express slot. Every time this happens Vista then proceeds to attempt to install the Standard VGA but fails.

I've tried switching this device off and removing its installation, then rebooting, and it brings me back to the same situation.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue?

My further specs:

9550 AMD Phenom Quad-Core, 2,2GHz
Memory: 3 GB, DDR2
and the onboard ATI Radeon X1250, 256MB
I've recently bought a new pc with Vista Home Premium installed. It has an ATI Radeon X1250 card onboard, on an Asus M2A-VM HMDI motherboard.

Basically I am trying to install a 9600GT. I've uninstalled all ATI drivers and software for the onboard card, and changed the primary device in BIOS to PCIEx, where the new card is plugged in. Drivers are installed after a lot of failed attempts where the Nvidia Installation would not acknowledge that I am running a 32bit OS, OR it would say "The Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

I know the drivers got picked up because I did actually manage to get the card to work 2 or 3 times, I was then able to go into the Nvidia control center and switch to the highest resolution. Device Manager also showed "Nvidia 9600GT" etc.

After I had done this I assumed I was done messing around with it. However, the next time I booted the PC up again, the new card gave no signal and it turned out the PC switched back to "Standard VGA device", so I am now looking at a very ugly screen.

To sum it up: I believe Vista keeps switching to "Standard VGA graphics-adapter", even though BIOS is set up to use the PCI Express slot. Every time this happens Vista then proceeds to attempt to install the Standard VGA but fails.

I've tried switching this device off and removing its installation, then rebooting, and it brings me back to the same situation.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue?

My further specs:

9550 AMD Phenom Quad-Core, 2,2GHz

Memory: 3 GB, DDR2

and the onboard ATI Radeon X1250, 256MB

Posted 06/06/2008 12:45 PM   
Scroll To Top