WarCraft 3 driver crash nv4_disp.dll crashes when starting War3
Actually, my first issue is that I just spent an hour trying to find a way to report a driver bug and had to resort to this. There really should be a easier way to report these(call it free debugging).

Ok, after a completely fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro with the most recent drivers for everything and with all of the Windows updates, I installed WarCraft 3, installed the most recent patch for it, then ran it and Windows rebooted right after the opening cinematics. I tried several more times with the same results.

Later I upgraded to Windows XP Pro, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers for my card. This did not fix the problem, but this time I got a blue screen identifying nv4_disp.dll as the offending 'program'.

My graphics card is a MadDog PCI card with a GeForce4 MX 4000 GPU and 128MB of memory. The drivers I used were the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Since I have had this computer play War3 fine under Windows 98SE, after the blue screen identified the Nvidia driver as the problem I uninstalled the driver, then found my MadDog driver CD that came with the card and installed a somewhat older driver for the card. This older driver works fine. This means that the newer driver has a bug, or bugs that were not in the older version. In hopes of enabling Nvidia to fix whatever problem caused this issue, I am posting what information I can here.

This is the significant information displayed on the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0xBFCDC36E, 0xF4796A60, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BFCDC36E base at BF9D3000, DateStamp 453bdc7a

I believe I have located the memory dump that Windows made during the blue screen. If you need this information, or other information about the computer, let me know.

If I have missed a place where I can report driver bug, please direct me to it.

Thank you,
Rybec

P.S. If you need more information, please ask soon. I am planning on wiping my hard drive and installing Windows 2000 again, with the old drivers, but I want to wait until you have all the information you need.
Actually, my first issue is that I just spent an hour trying to find a way to report a driver bug and had to resort to this. There really should be a easier way to report these(call it free debugging).

Ok, after a completely fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro with the most recent drivers for everything and with all of the Windows updates, I installed WarCraft 3, installed the most recent patch for it, then ran it and Windows rebooted right after the opening cinematics. I tried several more times with the same results.

Later I upgraded to Windows XP Pro, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers for my card. This did not fix the problem, but this time I got a blue screen identifying nv4_disp.dll as the offending 'program'.

My graphics card is a MadDog PCI card with a GeForce4 MX 4000 GPU and 128MB of memory. The drivers I used were the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Since I have had this computer play War3 fine under Windows 98SE, after the blue screen identified the Nvidia driver as the problem I uninstalled the driver, then found my MadDog driver CD that came with the card and installed a somewhat older driver for the card. This older driver works fine. This means that the newer driver has a bug, or bugs that were not in the older version. In hopes of enabling Nvidia to fix whatever problem caused this issue, I am posting what information I can here.

This is the significant information displayed on the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0xBFCDC36E, 0xF4796A60, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BFCDC36E base at BF9D3000, DateStamp 453bdc7a

I believe I have located the memory dump that Windows made during the blue screen. If you need this information, or other information about the computer, let me know.

If I have missed a place where I can report driver bug, please direct me to it.

Thank you,

Rybec

P.S. If you need more information, please ask soon. I am planning on wiping my hard drive and installing Windows 2000 again, with the old drivers, but I want to wait until you have all the information you need.

Posted 05/30/2008 01:07 AM   
Scroll To Top