780i and 7 series mobo's video corruption bug Please help us
  1 / 15    
[i]I have just sent this message to one of the forum moderators, but I would also like to post it openly here in aims of finding someone who can help. Perhaps these aren't regular channles, and in any case, I thank you in advance for your time reading this. Here goes:[/i]

Hello,

I know this isn't probably the regular channel for requesting help regarding nVidia products and I apologize for taking the liberty to contact you like this. I also would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this message, as it is somewhat lengthy.

At the moment most of the people gathering at a vastly growing thread on EVGA's support forums don't know what to do.

This is the link:

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=1&key=𽿃"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891...=1&key=𽿃[/url]

We are all currently trying to find a solution for a problem that has also been posted here, on this very forum, on the following link:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=20"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=20[/url]

People all around the world are experiencing a video corruption and system instability problem on differently configured platforms, from different manufacturers, that are all based on the nforce 7 series motherboards (ie. 750i, 780i, or 790i), and lately this seems to be pointing towards either a hardware design problem or a driver issue for this chipset.

We have tried with all released drivers for the platforms to virtually no success. The remaining hardware in each user's configurations (ram, gpu's, hdd's, etc.) are in perfect condition and it appears this problem dissapears when the same are used on Intel based platforms (p35, x38, x48) or nVidia 6 series motherboards.

It doesn't discriminate between ATI or nVidia gpu's either, and it seems that for a couple of users, leaked beta drivers on Guru3d.com - version 174.93 for windows XP 32bit, and for that OS only - have presented a temporary solution, while others have resorted to disabling all nVidia drivers altogether and are using those provided by the Windows OS's or Linux, as it seems Linux running nVidia drivers also present the problem.

Who can we contact for help, as we've all tried getting in touch with XFX, EVGA, ASUS and GIGABYTE regarding this matter? If you search for this subject on the web or in those brands forums, you will find significant numbers of reports of the issue.

What can we do? The nVidia brand experience for those users reporting said problems is dramatically turning out to be a constant, frustrating dillemma. There are users that are reporting the fix to this is simply to RMA and buy anything Intel.

[b]Would you please help us out?[/b]
I have just sent this message to one of the forum moderators, but I would also like to post it openly here in aims of finding someone who can help. Perhaps these aren't regular channles, and in any case, I thank you in advance for your time reading this. Here goes:

Hello,

I know this isn't probably the regular channel for requesting help regarding nVidia products and I apologize for taking the liberty to contact you like this. I also would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this message, as it is somewhat lengthy.

At the moment most of the people gathering at a vastly growing thread on EVGA's support forums don't know what to do.

This is the link:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891...=1&key=𽿃

We are all currently trying to find a solution for a problem that has also been posted here, on this very forum, on the following link:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=20

People all around the world are experiencing a video corruption and system instability problem on differently configured platforms, from different manufacturers, that are all based on the nforce 7 series motherboards (ie. 750i, 780i, or 790i), and lately this seems to be pointing towards either a hardware design problem or a driver issue for this chipset.

We have tried with all released drivers for the platforms to virtually no success. The remaining hardware in each user's configurations (ram, gpu's, hdd's, etc.) are in perfect condition and it appears this problem dissapears when the same are used on Intel based platforms (p35, x38, x48) or nVidia 6 series motherboards.

It doesn't discriminate between ATI or nVidia gpu's either, and it seems that for a couple of users, leaked beta drivers on Guru3d.com - version 174.93 for windows XP 32bit, and for that OS only - have presented a temporary solution, while others have resorted to disabling all nVidia drivers altogether and are using those provided by the Windows OS's or Linux, as it seems Linux running nVidia drivers also present the problem.

Who can we contact for help, as we've all tried getting in touch with XFX, EVGA, ASUS and GIGABYTE regarding this matter? If you search for this subject on the web or in those brands forums, you will find significant numbers of reports of the issue.

What can we do? The nVidia brand experience for those users reporting said problems is dramatically turning out to be a constant, frustrating dillemma. There are users that are reporting the fix to this is simply to RMA and buy anything Intel.

Would you please help us out?

Posted 04/27/2008 07:24 PM   
User [b]ramrod126[/b] at the EVGA forum and thread regarding this issue has just posted the following:

I just sent an email to Watchdog at max pc, Kyle at Hard|ocp and Overclockers.com

Hi, I would to bring some attention to this problem.

I own an Asus 750i motherboard, the p5n-d to be exact. Since the day it was new I have not been able to watch a video without serious corruption and, eventually, a full crash that requires a hard shutdown. Upon searching the internet for this problem I happened upon this thread at the Evga forums. My user name there is Ramrod126.

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=1&key="]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=1&key=[/url]

This issue seems to happen when a 700 series chipset is coupled with an Nvidia card. It happens in all versions of Windows and under Kubuntu linux 8.04 x64. I would imagine that other distros of linux are affected as well, but I am only willing to do so much beta testing on what should be a finished product. We have all tried a very wide range of drivers for both the video cards and chipsets. We have also tried things like disabling hardware overlay, changing the pci express frequency and memory/ northbridge voltage. So far nothing seems to be working.

There are a lot of people with this problem there. There are also a few threads on the Nvidia forums about it, this is just one example.

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=0"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=0[/url]

The problem is, Nvidia is basically ignoring this issue. No one seems to have any word from them, or any motherboard vendor for that matter. A supposed Evga tech posted, exactly twice, in the original thread I linked you to.

I understand that there is a huge amount of reading involved in the Evga thread but please, please look into this problem and maybe make it public knowledge. By doing this I hope to force Nvidia to at least admit there IS a problem.

Thank you for your time,

Justin Uxxxxx
xxxxxxx, PA
570-xxx-xxxx

Asus p5n-d 750i motherboard
Dual EVGA 8800 GTs in SLI
Core 2 Duo e6750
Single Acer 22" widescreen monitor
2 GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix ram
320GB WD hard drive (primary) sata
750GB WD hard drive (storage) sata
Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Lite on sata dvd burner
Lite on IDE combo dvd-rom/cd-rw
XP 32 and Kubuntu 8.04 64

This is the link to the post:

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=18"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=18[/url]

It's at the bottom, for the time being, as the thread grows indefinately.

Perhaps we could also reach AnandTech and others? Anyone who could help?
User ramrod126 at the EVGA forum and thread regarding this issue has just posted the following:

I just sent an email to Watchdog at max pc, Kyle at Hard|ocp and Overclockers.com

Hi, I would to bring some attention to this problem.

I own an Asus 750i motherboard, the p5n-d to be exact. Since the day it was new I have not been able to watch a video without serious corruption and, eventually, a full crash that requires a hard shutdown. Upon searching the internet for this problem I happened upon this thread at the Evga forums. My user name there is Ramrod126.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=1&key=

This issue seems to happen when a 700 series chipset is coupled with an Nvidia card. It happens in all versions of Windows and under Kubuntu linux 8.04 x64. I would imagine that other distros of linux are affected as well, but I am only willing to do so much beta testing on what should be a finished product. We have all tried a very wide range of drivers for both the video cards and chipsets. We have also tried things like disabling hardware overlay, changing the pci express frequency and memory/ northbridge voltage. So far nothing seems to be working.

There are a lot of people with this problem there. There are also a few threads on the Nvidia forums about it, this is just one example.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=63176&st=0

The problem is, Nvidia is basically ignoring this issue. No one seems to have any word from them, or any motherboard vendor for that matter. A supposed Evga tech posted, exactly twice, in the original thread I linked you to.

I understand that there is a huge amount of reading involved in the Evga thread but please, please look into this problem and maybe make it public knowledge. By doing this I hope to force Nvidia to at least admit there IS a problem.

Thank you for your time,

Justin Uxxxxx

xxxxxxx, PA

570-xxx-xxxx

Asus p5n-d 750i motherboard

Dual EVGA 8800 GTs in SLI

Core 2 Duo e6750

Single Acer 22" widescreen monitor

2 GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix ram

320GB WD hard drive (primary) sata

750GB WD hard drive (storage) sata

Thermaltake Toughpower 850

Lite on sata dvd burner

Lite on IDE combo dvd-rom/cd-rw

XP 32 and Kubuntu 8.04 64

This is the link to the post:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=18

It's at the bottom, for the time being, as the thread grows indefinately.

Perhaps we could also reach AnandTech and others? Anyone who could help?

Posted 04/27/2008 07:34 PM   
I've tried to inform nvidia of the problem through their customer care system, and as such informed them of as much as i can about the problem, including that changing drivers and the like has no effect, and referencing all the forums and threads where this is being discussed. The latest email said this:

"Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care"

Hopefully this means we can start to get somewhere with this.
I've tried to inform nvidia of the problem through their customer care system, and as such informed them of as much as i can about the problem, including that changing drivers and the like has no effect, and referencing all the forums and threads where this is being discussed. The latest email said this:

"Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care"

Hopefully this means we can start to get somewhere with this.

Posted 04/27/2008 07:49 PM   
Ok i registered here cos ive had enough of this silent treatment from nvidia. Ive recently upgraded to nvidia motherboard Asus P5N-D 750i and EVGA 8800GTS G92. Pretty good i thought everything seemed wonderful but hey.. Video Corruption/Crash problem has reared its ugly face. Just like many many other i have the exact same problem. if you read the EVGA forum thread you will see exactly what the problem is and what people have tried. Also notice every third post is someone firstposting saying they have it too. This goes right across the Nforce 7 series and to put it quite frankly is[b] A MAJOR BUG!!![/b]

I would like some answer from a [color=red]Nvidia Moderator[/color] please, not just for myself but for the many victims of this video issue.

[color=red]Nvidia Moderator[/color] could you please consult your team, management about this and form some sort of official response. I am going to be polite and diplomatic but if i do not see any action taken im going to kick up a hell of a stink, illl post very negative comments on every computer parts etailer website about their nforce 7 motherboards. We all spent alot of money on nvidia products and we arent going to be given the silent treatment. Please get some sort of official word out.

Please fix it!! :magic:
Ok i registered here cos ive had enough of this silent treatment from nvidia. Ive recently upgraded to nvidia motherboard Asus P5N-D 750i and EVGA 8800GTS G92. Pretty good i thought everything seemed wonderful but hey.. Video Corruption/Crash problem has reared its ugly face. Just like many many other i have the exact same problem. if you read the EVGA forum thread you will see exactly what the problem is and what people have tried. Also notice every third post is someone firstposting saying they have it too. This goes right across the Nforce 7 series and to put it quite frankly is A MAJOR BUG!!!

I would like some answer from a Nvidia Moderator please, not just for myself but for the many victims of this video issue.

Nvidia Moderator could you please consult your team, management about this and form some sort of official response. I am going to be polite and diplomatic but if i do not see any action taken im going to kick up a hell of a stink, illl post very negative comments on every computer parts etailer website about their nforce 7 motherboards. We all spent alot of money on nvidia products and we arent going to be given the silent treatment. Please get some sort of official word out.

Please fix it!! :magic:

Posted 04/28/2008 02:15 AM   
Well, Here I am to chime in. Thanks for copying my email here so I didn't have to.

Anyway, I tried using the 174.93 drivers and sure enough, I was able to watch some videos...but SLI will not work. Try to enable it and you loose video signal completely.

the only fix I could find is to reinstall new drivers.

So, as I see it here are the choices:

Use anything older than 174.93 SLI works but videos don't OR use 174.93 and videos work but SLI doesn't.

Call me crazy but I do not want to have to switch drivers every time I want to watch an AVI or play Crysis at max settings.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I have not had alot of time to test the superduper-sli-won't-work-magical-174.93 drivers because I actually like to play games too so it still may not be a fix.

All in all there are bunch of us ready to give up on Nvidia for good because of the complete lack of attention this has gotten.

As for this issue being "escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue."

That just sounds to me like "wait around untill we can figure out how to pass the buck"

Well, that is my rant for now.

EDIT: I just added CPU magazine to the list of people that have received that email.

Also ShaolinDreams wrote "illl post very negative comments on every computer parts etailer website about their nforce 7 motherboards. We all spent alot of money on nvidia products and we arent going to be given the silent treatment. Please get some sort of official word out."

I was thinking the same thing earlier today but I have held off....for now. I am also going to call a very close friend of mine who happens to be a lawyer and see what it takes to get a class action rolling. I have very limited funds but I am willing to do what I can.
Well, Here I am to chime in. Thanks for copying my email here so I didn't have to.

Anyway, I tried using the 174.93 drivers and sure enough, I was able to watch some videos...but SLI will not work. Try to enable it and you loose video signal completely.

Use anything older than 174.93 SLI works but videos don't OR use 174.93 and videos work but SLI doesn't.

Call me crazy but I do not want to have to switch drivers every time I want to watch an AVI or play Crysis at max settings.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I have not had alot of time to test the superduper-sli-won't-work-magical-174.93 drivers because I actually like to play games too so it still may not be a fix.

All in all there are bunch of us ready to give up on Nvidia for good because of the complete lack of attention this has gotten.

As for this issue being "escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue."

That just sounds to me like "wait around untill we can figure out how to pass the buck"

EDIT: I just added CPU magazine to the list of people that have received that email.

Also ShaolinDreams wrote "illl post very negative comments on every computer parts etailer website about their nforce 7 motherboards. We all spent alot of money on nvidia products and we arent going to be given the silent treatment. Please get some sort of official word out."

I was thinking the same thing earlier today but I have held off....for now. I am also going to call a very close friend of mine who happens to be a lawyer and see what it takes to get a class action rolling. I have very limited funds but I am willing to do what I can.

Posted 04/28/2008 02:19 AM   
[quote name='ramrod126' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:19 PM']Well, Here I am to chime in. Thanks for copying my email here so I didn't have to.

As for this issue being¦nbsp; "escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue."

[right][snapback]369409[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]ramrod,[/b] let's note that this apparent "driver fix" - as it hasn't been fully tested out yet - is only working for Windows XP 32bit. The same beta drivers, designed for windows xp 64 and Vista 64 will not accomplish anything.

Don't know about Windows Vista 32bit though.

EDIT: here is another thread at the same EVGA forum that has a relatively different set of users with the same problem:

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=318413"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=318413[/url]

On the web, this is also being called the Rainbow Freeze, as can be seen at this forum/thread:

[url="http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/321245-780i-owners-any-problems-watching-video.html"]http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...hing-video.html[/url]

It should be noted though, that this issue occurs [b]with or without any[/b] overclocking whatsoever.
[quote name='ramrod126' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:19 PM']Well, Here I am to chime in. Thanks for copying my email here so I didn't have to.

As for this issue being¦nbsp; "escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue."

[snapback]369409[/snapback]

ramrod, let's note that this apparent "driver fix" - as it hasn't been fully tested out yet - is only working for Windows XP 32bit. The same beta drivers, designed for windows xp 64 and Vista 64 will not accomplish anything.

Don't know about Windows Vista 32bit though.

EDIT: here is another thread at the same EVGA forum that has a relatively different set of users with the same problem:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=318413

On the web, this is also being called the Rainbow Freeze, as can be seen at this forum/thread:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...hing-video.html

It should be noted though, that this issue occurs with or without any overclocking whatsoever.

Posted 04/28/2008 02:35 AM   
[quote name='RaedWulf' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:35 PM'][b]ramrod,[/b] let's note that this apparent "driver fix" - as it hasn't been fully tested out yet - is only working for Windows XP 32bit. The same beta drivers, designed for windows xp 64 and Vista 64 will not accomplish anything.

[/quote]

I edited my original post to reflect this.
[quote name='RaedWulf' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:35 PM']ramrod, let's note that this apparent "driver fix" - as it hasn't been fully tested out yet - is only working for Windows XP 32bit. The same beta drivers, designed for windows xp 64 and Vista 64 will not accomplish anything.

I edited my original post to reflect this.

Posted 04/28/2008 02:40 AM   
RaedWulf said "while others have resorted to disabling all nVidia drivers altogether and are using those provided by the Windows OS's or Linux, as it seems Linux running nVidia drivers also present the problem."

Just for the record I am the one who tested Linux. Under Kubuntu 8.04 32 bit beta I could watch videos but I was not running nvidia drivers. When I upgraded to the final release of 8.04 64 bit it detected my 8800GT and I allowed it to install the drivers for the card. All of a sudden I get a hard locked system while trying to watch a video in Kaffeine (the default KDE player) and also in VLC.

So that is the short version of my attempt to troubleshot by using an alternate OS.

Here the links to my two posts concerning Linux.

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.asp?m=330780"]http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.asp?m=330780[/url]

[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=16#343206"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=16#343206[/url]
RaedWulf said "while others have resorted to disabling all nVidia drivers altogether and are using those provided by the Windows OS's or Linux, as it seems Linux running nVidia drivers also present the problem."

Just for the record I am the one who tested Linux. Under Kubuntu 8.04 32 bit beta I could watch videos but I was not running nvidia drivers. When I upgraded to the final release of 8.04 64 bit it detected my 8800GT and I allowed it to install the drivers for the card. All of a sudden I get a hard locked system while trying to watch a video in Kaffeine (the default KDE player) and also in VLC.

So that is the short version of my attempt to troubleshot by using an alternate OS.

Here the links to my two posts concerning Linux.

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.asp?m=330780

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253891&mpage=16#343206

Posted 04/28/2008 02:58 AM   
I'll add discussions from the Asus forums for reference:

P5N-T Deluxe:
[url="http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080316083051828&board_id=1&model=P5N-T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us"]"TV Cards with P5N-T"[/url]
[url="http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080427142846343&board_id=1&model=P5N-T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us"]"FIX for video corruption issue on XP/Vista"[/url]

Striker II Formula:
[url="http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080407161030625&board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us"]"Video playback"[/url]
[url="http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080424181610531&board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us"]"Video Playback Continued"[/url]

--------------------
XP32 SP3 / Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i (9.64 WHQL)
QX9650 @ 3.83 GHz, FSB @ 1333 MHz (11.5x)
2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper HPC @ 800 MHz (4-4-4-15-24-2T)
2 x XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (G92) *
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer (2.15.0006 WHQL)
Seasonic 700W Modular
I'll add discussions from the Asus forums for reference:

P5N-T Deluxe:

"TV Cards with P5N-T"

"FIX for video corruption issue on XP/Vista"

Striker II Formula:

"Video playback"

"Video Playback Continued"

--------------------

XP32 SP3 / Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i (9.64 WHQL)

QX9650 @ 3.83 GHz, FSB @ 1333 MHz (11.5x)

2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper HPC @ 800 MHz (4-4-4-15-24-2T)

2 x XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (G92) *

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer (2.15.0006 WHQL)

Seasonic 700W Modular

Posted 04/28/2008 07:25 AM   
I have just received the following email from Gary Key at anandtech:

[i]Hi,

We have discussed these problems with NVIDIA and they are working on it now. I know engineering resources have been assigned to track down and solve these problems. Why they occur on one system and not on another is a mystery at this point. We have a call with NVIDIA this Thursday and hopefully I might have something to report at that time.

Sincerely,
Gary[/i]

Here's hoping for the best, guys. Here's [b]really [/b]hoping for the best.
I have just received the following email from Gary Key at anandtech:

Hi,

We have discussed these problems with NVIDIA and they are working on it now. I know engineering resources have been assigned to track down and solve these problems. Why they occur on one system and not on another is a mystery at this point. We have a call with NVIDIA this Thursday and hopefully I might have something to report at that time.

Sincerely,

Gary

Here's hoping for the best, guys. Here's really hoping for the best.

Posted 04/28/2008 03:31 PM   
[quote name='RaedWulf' date='Apr 28 2008, 10:31 AM']I have just received the following email from Gary Key at anandtech:

[i]Hi,

We have discussed these problems with NVIDIA and they are working on it now.  I know engineering resources have been assigned to track down and solve these problems.  Why they occur on one system and not on another is a mystery at this point.  We have a call with NVIDIA this Thursday and hopefully I might have something to report at that time.

Sincerely,
Gary[/i]

Here's hoping for the best, guys. Here's [b]really [/b]hoping for the best.
[right][snapback]369703[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, it has been three months, I guess three more days won't kill us. I am going to hold off on any more negative action until then.

Hell, it is not as if i really want to be greedy or anything, just a full refund for this board would be nice. Unfortunately when I built this system I tossed the boxes and such after the first week. I hadn't noticed any problems then, of course I hadn't watched a video either and I just don't have the room to keep a bunch of stuff that serves no purpose laying around. So, I am royally screwed, I can't even RMA the damn thing without the packaging.
[quote name='RaedWulf' date='Apr 28 2008, 10:31 AM']I have just received the following email from Gary Key at anandtech:

Hi,

We have discussed these problems with NVIDIA and they are working on it now.  I know engineering resources have been assigned to track down and solve these problems.  Why they occur on one system and not on another is a mystery at this point.  We have a call with NVIDIA this Thursday and hopefully I might have something to report at that time.

Sincerely,

Gary

Here's hoping for the best, guys. Here's really hoping for the best.

[snapback]369703[/snapback]

Well, it has been three months, I guess three more days won't kill us. I am going to hold off on any more negative action until then.

Hell, it is not as if i really want to be greedy or anything, just a full refund for this board would be nice. Unfortunately when I built this system I tossed the boxes and such after the first week. I hadn't noticed any problems then, of course I hadn't watched a video either and I just don't have the room to keep a bunch of stuff that serves no purpose laying around. So, I am royally screwed, I can't even RMA the damn thing without the packaging.

Posted 04/28/2008 03:53 PM   
Another pissed of 780i owner here. It's ridiculous that this "enthusiast" board can't PLAY A DAMNED VIDEO without crashing. Runs everything else fine....but I didn't pay this kind of money to just run games ONLY.

I think at this point I'm more irritated about the silence from Nvidia (and EVGA) than I am about the fact that I can't use Media Player on my rig. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would say they know there is a problem and they are working to fix it.
Another pissed of 780i owner here. It's ridiculous that this "enthusiast" board can't PLAY A DAMNED VIDEO without crashing. Runs everything else fine....but I didn't pay this kind of money to just run games ONLY.

I think at this point I'm more irritated about the silence from Nvidia (and EVGA) than I am about the fact that I can't use Media Player on my rig. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would say they know there is a problem and they are working to fix it.

Posted 04/28/2008 04:33 PM   
I am here to support finding a solution for this thread. System specs are in Sig.

I want to note that I am using an EVGA 790i Ultra motherboard.

I have experienced the same problems on an EVGA 780i motherboard as well, the one that I stepped-up from through EVGA.

I have had the same results with a freeze/crash while watching a variety of videos from DVD, .WMV, .AVI, etc. where the screen becomes "locked" and there is no response from any peripheral such as the mouse/keyboard.

I have tried numerous drivers and settings to combat this condition with no success except for solutions that leave my computer useless like uninstalling the display drivers completely, disabling hardware acceleration, or turning off directdraw and direct 3d.

This is always accompanied by a loud squealing/buzzing from the speakers that can sometimes loop.

The condition can be made to happen by switching from full screen and back to windowed mode or by wiggling the mouse cursor.

The only solution at that point is to press the reset button or shut down the computer.

Re-booting will bring me back to the desktop without an issue, however I can re-create the problem at will.

I have tried numerous attempts to contact EVGA tech support and they still refuse to admit that their may be a problem after I have jumped through all of their hoops.

I hope that Nvidia will monitor this thread and do something to help us.
I am here to support finding a solution for this thread. System specs are in Sig.

I want to note that I am using an EVGA 790i Ultra motherboard.

I have experienced the same problems on an EVGA 780i motherboard as well, the one that I stepped-up from through EVGA.

I have had the same results with a freeze/crash while watching a variety of videos from DVD, .WMV, .AVI, etc. where the screen becomes "locked" and there is no response from any peripheral such as the mouse/keyboard.

I have tried numerous drivers and settings to combat this condition with no success except for solutions that leave my computer useless like uninstalling the display drivers completely, disabling hardware acceleration, or turning off directdraw and direct 3d.

This is always accompanied by a loud squealing/buzzing from the speakers that can sometimes loop.

The condition can be made to happen by switching from full screen and back to windowed mode or by wiggling the mouse cursor.

The only solution at that point is to press the reset button or shut down the computer.

Re-booting will bring me back to the desktop without an issue, however I can re-create the problem at will.

I have tried numerous attempts to contact EVGA tech support and they still refuse to admit that their may be a problem after I have jumped through all of their hoops.

I hope that Nvidia will monitor this thread and do something to help us.

ASUS P7P55D-E DELUXE 1504 BIOS / i7 875K / CORSAIR 2x 4GB VENGEANCE

CORSAIR AX850 / 160GB INTEL X25-M G2 / 150GB VELOCIRAPTOR / 750GB WD BLACK

7 PRO X64 SP1 / CATALYST 11.3 / AFTERBURNER 2.1 / MSI R6970 TWIN FROZR III LIGHTNING

Posted 04/28/2008 04:56 PM   
Here im same problem as the others.

ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA
E8400 (cooled by SI-120)
EN8800GTX 768mb
1x2gb corsair dominator (1066) (When mb want!)
1x WD raptor 150gb
1xWD 500gb
Samsung dvd writer (sata)
Samsung dvd reader (eide)
ENERMAX MODU 82+ (525w)
SM2493HM

i tryed beta driver (xp media center) but the corruption dont want to leave my life! (didnt i disintall the old one right?)
Here im same problem as the others.

ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA

E8400 (cooled by SI-120)

EN8800GTX 768mb

1x WD raptor 150gb

1xWD 500gb

ENERMAX MODU 82+ (525w)

SM2493HM

i tryed beta driver (xp media center) but the corruption dont want to leave my life! (didnt i disintall the old one right?)

Posted 04/28/2008 05:10 PM   
[quote name='vejta66' date='Apr 28 2008, 12:10 PM']Here im same problem as the others.

ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA
E8400 (cooled by SI-120)
EN8800GTX 768mb
1x WD raptor 150gb
1xWD 500gb
ENERMAX MODU 82+ (525w)
SM2493HM

[right][snapback]369745[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you all for the support in this and the EVGA thread. [b]Let's make some noise and get this fixed.[/b]
[quote name='vejta66' date='Apr 28 2008, 12:10 PM']Here im same problem as the others.

ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA

E8400 (cooled by SI-120)

EN8800GTX 768mb

1x WD raptor 150gb

1xWD 500gb

ENERMAX MODU 82+ (525w)

SM2493HM

[snapback]369745[/snapback]

Thank you all for the support in this and the EVGA thread. Let's make some noise and get this fixed.

Posted 04/28/2008 06:10 PM   
  1 / 15    
Scroll To Top