Playstation Emulators in 3D
Are there any Playstation emulators that work in Stereo 3D? I'm particularly interested in PS One (PS1 / PSX) at the moment, but feel free to share if you've got a PS2 emulator working as well.

Thanks!
Are there any Playstation emulators that work in Stereo 3D? I'm particularly interested in PS One (PS1 / PSX) at the moment, but feel free to share if you've got a PS2 emulator working as well.

Thanks!

Posted 04/18/2008 07:07 AM   
Many emulators are able to use different plugins for graphics, sounds, inputs etc. If an emulator doesn't work with one special graphic plugin you could try another one. I once was able to run mario64 (either project64 or nemu64) in 3d (blocky with artifacts and textures "hanging around"). Can't remember which graphic-driver/plugin combo i used since i'm not able to do the same today. :(

For psx-games i suggest using epsxe and with that try different graphic plugins. Who knows, maybe you hit black gold. ;)

So far i don't know any good ps2 emu that runs commercial games yet.

cheers
Many emulators are able to use different plugins for graphics, sounds, inputs etc. If an emulator doesn't work with one special graphic plugin you could try another one. I once was able to run mario64 (either project64 or nemu64) in 3d (blocky with artifacts and textures "hanging around"). Can't remember which graphic-driver/plugin combo i used since i'm not able to do the same today. :(

For psx-games i suggest using epsxe and with that try different graphic plugins. Who knows, maybe you hit black gold. ;)

So far i don't know any good ps2 emu that runs commercial games yet.

cheers

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Cpu: C2D E6600

Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX

3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Stereodrivers: Iz3d & Tridef ignition and nvidia old school.

Posted 04/19/2008 10:44 AM   
I played a little Final Fantasy X on PCSX2 on my Core 2 E6600. It was playable, but I doupt that's true for all games.

Someone made a video toturial for using that emu on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXp65lW-SE"]youtube[/url].

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lX6IiryOM&feature=related"]Here's[/url] a video of someone playing FFX.
I played a little Final Fantasy X on PCSX2 on my Core 2 E6600. It was playable, but I doupt that's true for all games.

Someone made a video toturial for using that emu on rel="nofollow" target = "_blank">youtube.

rel="nofollow" target = "_blank">Here's a video of someone playing FFX.

Posted 04/19/2008 12:05 PM   
[quote name='anss123' date='Apr 19 2008, 04:05 AM']I played a little Final Fantasy X on PCSX2 on my Core 2 E6600. It was playable, but I doupt that's true for all games.

Someone made a video toturial for using that emu on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXp65lW-SE"]youtube[/url].

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lX6IiryOM&feature=related"]Here's[/url] a video of someone playing FFX.
[right][snapback]364842[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
PCSX2 is a Playstation [u][b]2[/b][/u] emulator, Subwoofa was asking about Playstation [u][b]1[/b][/u] emulators.

AFAIK, Bleem is the only PS1 emulator which renders scenes in a stereoscopy-friendly manner. I know for sure that ePSXe does NOT work in stereoscopy.
[quote name='anss123' date='Apr 19 2008, 04:05 AM']I played a little Final Fantasy X on PCSX2 on my Core 2 E6600. It was playable, but I doupt that's true for all games.

Someone made a video toturial for using that emu on rel="nofollow" target = "_blank">youtube.

rel="nofollow" target = "_blank">Here's a video of someone playing FFX.

[snapback]364842[/snapback]

PCSX2 is a Playstation 2 emulator, Subwoofa was asking about Playstation 1 emulators.

AFAIK, Bleem is the only PS1 emulator which renders scenes in a stereoscopy-friendly manner. I know for sure that ePSXe does NOT work in stereoscopy.

Posted 04/22/2008 02:48 PM   
[quote name='Devil Master' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:48 AM']PCSX2 is a Playstation [u][b]2[/b][/u] emulator, Subwoofa was asking about Playstation [u][b]1[/b][/u] emulators.

[right][snapback]366725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, thanks! I might try bleem, but first, how you know [i]for sure[/i] that ePSXe doesn't work in stereo? There are [i]a lot[/i] of graphics plugins and configurations to try, and so I was going to try to find the holy grail as Likay suggested. What is the reason my quest is so hopeless?
[quote name='Devil Master' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:48 AM']PCSX2 is a Playstation 2 emulator, Subwoofa was asking about Playstation 1 emulators.

[snapback]366725[/snapback]

Yes, thanks! I might try bleem, but first, how you know for sure that ePSXe doesn't work in stereo? There are a lot of graphics plugins and configurations to try, and so I was going to try to find the holy grail as Likay suggested. What is the reason my quest is so hopeless?

Posted 04/22/2008 06:15 PM   
[quote name='subwoofa' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:15 AM']Yes, thanks!  I might try bleem, but first, how you know [i]for sure[/i] that ePSXe doesn't work in stereo?
[right][snapback]366811[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I tested the following plugins with ePSXe:

Pete's OpenGL2 driver 2.8
Pete's OpenGL driver 1.76
Pete's Direct3D driver 1.76
Pete's DX6 Direct3D driver 1.76
Segu Direct3D Driver 1.3
Tratax 3DFX Glide Renderer 1.8 (with dgVoodoo wrapper)

and none of them gives a stereoscopic effect.

I mailed Pete Bernert about this, and he says the video plugin receives already transformed coordinates from the ePSXe executable, so it does not process any information about depth.
[quote name='subwoofa' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:15 AM']Yes, thanks!  I might try bleem, but first, how you know for sure that ePSXe doesn't work in stereo?

[snapback]366811[/snapback]

I tested the following plugins with ePSXe:

Pete's OpenGL2 driver 2.8

Pete's OpenGL driver 1.76

Pete's Direct3D driver 1.76

Pete's DX6 Direct3D driver 1.76

Segu Direct3D Driver 1.3

Tratax 3DFX Glide Renderer 1.8 (with dgVoodoo wrapper)

and none of them gives a stereoscopic effect.

I mailed Pete Bernert about this, and he says the video plugin receives already transformed coordinates from the ePSXe executable, so it does not process any information about depth.

Posted 04/22/2008 07:34 PM   
[quote name='Devil Master' date='Apr 22 2008, 12:34 PM']I mailed Pete Bernert about this, and he says the video plugin receives already transformed coordinates from the ePSXe executable, so it does not process any information about depth.
[right][snapback]366847[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Bummer! Thanks, though. After some more research I saw some posts at [url="http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-floating-point-request-pete_bernert-41709-852837-0.html"]Pete's Messageboard Forum[/url] that suggest this as well.

I might be wrong but this seems to be the standard of most PSX emulators, where the GPU (plugin) is not receiving true 3D data. I suppose this reflects the limitations of the original GPU, and to date it appears that the psx emu community has concluded that the benefits do warrant the changes in emulator code.
[quote name='Devil Master' date='Apr 22 2008, 12:34 PM']I mailed Pete Bernert about this, and he says the video plugin receives already transformed coordinates from the ePSXe executable, so it does not process any information about depth.

[snapback]366847[/snapback]

Bummer! Thanks, though. After some more research I saw some posts at Pete's Messageboard Forum that suggest this as well.

I might be wrong but this seems to be the standard of most PSX emulators, where the GPU (plugin) is not receiving true 3D data. I suppose this reflects the limitations of the original GPU, and to date it appears that the psx emu community has concluded that the benefits do warrant the changes in emulator code.

Posted 04/22/2008 08:53 PM   
ok sorry this is 8 years late lolz... (heavily edited/updated by the way, if you think you've read this before it might be worth a second look) ps1 emulation is possible in stereoscopic 3d via epsxe or pcsx emulator, tridef, the opengl 1.78 plugin, and this patch: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/ (^ place opengl32.dll in epsxe or pcsxr main directory... special props to some dude i forget on the internet who figured this out. I think from the GeForce forums. p.s. I am pretty sure that you need directx_Jun2010_redist installed. I use pcsx (PCSX Reloaded SVN r97234 as of this post, from emucr.com) these days because i like its widescreen hacks compared to epsxe, and it's more heavily developed and probably better. I install it offline extracted as administrator). oh and since we're stuck with the 1.78 plugin use this one hacked for upscaled textures: http://ngemu.com/threads/peops-opengl-1-78-xbrz-scalers-mod.173953/#post-2353753 (^ you will have to copy and paste that URL, not sure why) there is 1 last thing you must do (in addition to configuring tridef profiles) to make it run well in 3d. "mask bit" must be checked, or else it will always come through 2d. and now, with your xBRZ hacked plugin I discovered and fixed a new glitch in 3d mode, a bunch of textures turned black but if you activate "special game fixes" > "direct framebuffer updates" that is completely solved as well :D also, while in stereoscopic 3d, MDECs come through unfiltered in 3d but everything in game is filtered. also, another person from that xBRZ plugin forum discovered that other games have a similar glitch which another 'special game fixes' option called 'mask bit' will fix. :) from here one of three things will happen: 1.) all you do for certain cards is activate power 3d and set quality to high. and possibly adjust depth and "percent in front" (convergence). those cards look the best but there is some glitch where one or both of the eyes will have this annoying jittery slight back and forth horizontal shaking going on that seems to be linked to tridef's quality setting (low/med/high, it can temporarily stop the shake but high looks best and I can't seem to eliminate that glitch in that mode... medium appears to be the least shaky--sometimes). 2.) other cards will look really bad in power3d mode half the time (specifically final fantasy 7/8/9 pre-rendered scenes w/ 3d characters, the 3d stuff will have severely shifted textures). but it will still look good in full 3d modes, in other cases power3d will look great with these cards (world maps in in ff7/8/9, megaman legends. yet ff9 battles look 2d still and depth and % in front do nothing but separate the 2 images w/ no parallax. yet this mode doesn't have the screen shake glitch. 3.) and finally, I have seen both of these modes kick in on another card. very strange. and if that weren't confusing enough, it appears that while tridef is in one of it's 3d modes, NVidia's ctrl+T now works... except that it becomes a blurry mess because it's superimposed on top of tridef's 3d. but ctrl+T does not appear to work w/o tridef's 3d active. but maybe this means we could come up with a 3d vision .nip profile for NVidia inspector somehow. mode #1 looks best by far, but I can't figure out how to get it like that on all cards. it's always like that on my amd radeon mobility hd3200, and my NVidia GeForce 7025 nforce 360, but never like that on my geoforce GT640--except for one time I saw it kick in in the good mode. some have it, some don't. but the good mode has that annoying shaking glitch. if your card is outputting mode #2 than i have it configured as below: "power 3d" -power3d on -depth 20 -% in front 50 "pre-rendered backgrounds" -depth 30 -% in front 70 -power3d off -quality medium -profile > focus > mode > expand -profile > 3d object detection > matrix names > g_matWorldViewProj > transpose yes and VS yes (and also enable inverse and scaleZW if it's completely 2d like ff2, but for 2d + 3d like ff7/8/9 or legend of dragoon, don't enable these) ...it's all very hit or miss, but I hope this helps someone to come up with a universally superior configuration. some cards always look good (minus the shaking glitch), others do not. I will report back if I figure it out. idc if it's iz3d, tridef, or 3d vision as long as it looks good. please help :D
ok sorry this is 8 years late lolz... (heavily edited/updated by the way, if you think you've read this before it might be worth a second look)

ps1 emulation is possible in stereoscopic 3d via epsxe or pcsx emulator, tridef, the opengl 1.78 plugin, and this patch:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/

(^ place opengl32.dll in epsxe or pcsxr main directory... special props to some dude i forget on the internet who figured this out. I think from the GeForce forums. p.s. I am pretty sure that you need directx_Jun2010_redist installed. I use pcsx (PCSX Reloaded SVN r97234 as of this post, from emucr.com) these days because i like its widescreen hacks compared to epsxe, and it's more heavily developed and probably better. I install it offline extracted as administrator). oh and since we're stuck with the 1.78 plugin use this one hacked for upscaled textures:

http://ngemu.com/threads/peops-opengl-1-78-xbrz-scalers-mod.173953/#post-2353753
(^ you will have to copy and paste that URL, not sure why)

there is 1 last thing you must do (in addition to configuring tridef profiles) to make it run well in 3d. "mask bit" must be checked, or else it will always come through 2d. and now, with your xBRZ hacked plugin I discovered and fixed a new glitch in 3d mode, a bunch of textures turned black but if you activate "special game fixes" > "direct framebuffer updates" that is completely solved as well :D also, while in stereoscopic 3d, MDECs come through unfiltered in 3d but everything in game is filtered. also, another person from that xBRZ plugin forum discovered that other games have a similar glitch which another 'special game fixes' option called 'mask bit' will fix. :)

from here one of three things will happen:

1.) all you do for certain cards is activate power 3d and set quality to high. and possibly adjust depth and "percent in front" (convergence). those cards look the best but there is some glitch where one or both of the eyes will have this annoying jittery slight back and forth horizontal shaking going on that seems to be linked to tridef's quality setting (low/med/high, it can temporarily stop the shake but high looks best and I can't seem to eliminate that glitch in that mode... medium appears to be the least shaky--sometimes).

2.) other cards will look really bad in power3d mode half the time (specifically final fantasy 7/8/9 pre-rendered scenes w/ 3d characters, the 3d stuff will have severely shifted textures). but it will still look good in full 3d modes, in other cases power3d will look great with these cards (world maps in in ff7/8/9, megaman legends. yet ff9 battles look 2d still and depth and % in front do nothing but separate the 2 images w/ no parallax. yet this mode doesn't have the screen shake glitch.

3.) and finally, I have seen both of these modes kick in on another card. very strange.

and if that weren't confusing enough, it appears that while tridef is in one of it's 3d modes, NVidia's ctrl+T now works... except that it becomes a blurry mess because it's superimposed on top of tridef's 3d. but ctrl+T does not appear to work w/o tridef's 3d active. but maybe this means we could come up with a 3d vision .nip profile for NVidia inspector somehow.

mode #1 looks best by far, but I can't figure out how to get it like that on all cards. it's always like that on my amd radeon mobility hd3200, and my NVidia GeForce 7025 nforce 360, but never like that on my geoforce GT640--except for one time I saw it kick in in the good mode. some have it, some don't. but the good mode has that annoying shaking glitch. if your card is outputting mode #2 than i have it configured as below:

"power 3d"

-power3d on
-depth 20
-% in front 50

"pre-rendered backgrounds"

-depth 30
-% in front 70
-power3d off
-quality medium
-profile > focus > mode > expand
-profile > 3d object detection > matrix names > g_matWorldViewProj > transpose yes and VS yes (and also enable inverse and scaleZW if it's completely 2d like ff2, but for 2d + 3d like ff7/8/9 or legend of dragoon, don't enable these)

...it's all very hit or miss, but I hope this helps someone to come up with a universally superior configuration. some cards always look good (minus the shaking glitch), others do not. I will report back if I figure it out. idc if it's iz3d, tridef, or 3d vision as long as it looks good. please help :D

Posted 07/20/2014 03:32 PM   
Scroll To Top