Accidentally Uninstalled Nforce Drivers - Help!
My video card recently went kaput, and at first thinking it was a driver problem I uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers by mistake including my mobo drivers. Problem is that now with a new card in I get an endless reboot cycle.

TUrning off reboot on system failure gives me a 0x0000007B bluescreen. I have another clean isntall of Windows I keep on hand for troubleshooting and that works fine. Is there any way to save my current installation?

Thanks in advance for the help.
My video card recently went kaput, and at first thinking it was a driver problem I uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers by mistake including my mobo drivers. Problem is that now with a new card in I get an endless reboot cycle.

TUrning off reboot on system failure gives me a 0x0000007B bluescreen. I have another clean isntall of Windows I keep on hand for troubleshooting and that works fine. Is there any way to save my current installation?

Posted 03/29/2008 04:20 PM   
You can't expect help, if you don't give the needed informations:
1. Which OS were you running when the video card "went kaput"?
2. Which mainboard with which nForce chipset are you using?
3. Do you have S-ATA hdd's or even RAID?
4. Which video card "went kaput" and which video card did you insert now?
You can't expect help, if you don't give the needed informations:

Posted 03/29/2008 04:45 PM   
Sorry for the lack of info.

I was running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. I was playing Team Fortress 2 when the screen suddenly froze. Upon reboot the BIOS displayed artifacting as did the Windows boot screen. Thinking this was a driver problem I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers - an idotic thing to do.

My mainboard is an Asus A8N0-SLI with I believe nForce 4. I don't have SATA or Raid, just 2 IDE drives.

The video card in question was a XFX 7600. However, I believe I've fixed the video card problem since the system works well with another card swapped in (also a 7600). As I said before my clean second install works perfectly. The problem now is with my driver-less first install.
Sorry for the lack of info.

I was running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. I was playing Team Fortress 2 when the screen suddenly froze. Upon reboot the BIOS displayed artifacting as did the Windows boot screen. Thinking this was a driver problem I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers - an idotic thing to do.

My mainboard is an Asus A8N0-SLI with I believe nForce 4. I don't have SATA or Raid, just 2 IDE drives.

The video card in question was a XFX 7600. However, I believe I've fixed the video card problem since the system works well with another card swapped in (also a 7600). As I said before my clean second install works perfectly. The problem now is with my driver-less first install.

Posted 03/29/2008 04:56 PM   
[quote name='Fernando' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:45 PM']You can't expect help, if you don't give the needed informations:
[right][snapback]353196[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you can usualy restore system files..

But..
Im assuming your using SATA drives and you needed the drivers.
this would cause errors.
But i would attempt safe mode 1st and see if i could install the chipset drivers from motherboard cd.

if that failed. (i assume you are on xp)
I would use my xp cd to do a repair install..

remembering to press f6 to load 3d party drivers if i needed too.
then continue as if i was installing a fresh instalation of windows..
it would offer me the ability to enter recovery console.
I would not select that option.
I would continue on Leaving current file system intact,.
And it would ask me if i was trying to install fresh install over a current version, or if i wanted to repair windows..

i would select repair a current windows instalation.
Select the correct one and let it repair.

It would simply reinstall all of windows system files, meaning i would need to do updates,
but my games would still be installed and registered in the registry...

however there can be 2 isssues..

1 is if u had a network active when it was uninstalled. you may have a hard time enabeling it again. (i mean really hard time)

and

2, user documents will be els where and you would need to make a new user name.
[quote name='Fernando' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:45 PM']You can't expect help, if you don't give the needed informations:

[snapback]353196[/snapback]

you can usualy restore system files..

But..

Im assuming your using SATA drives and you needed the drivers.

this would cause errors.

But i would attempt safe mode 1st and see if i could install the chipset drivers from motherboard cd.

if that failed. (i assume you are on xp)

I would use my xp cd to do a repair install..

remembering to press f6 to load 3d party drivers if i needed too.

then continue as if i was installing a fresh instalation of windows..

it would offer me the ability to enter recovery console.

I would not select that option.

I would continue on Leaving current file system intact,.

And it would ask me if i was trying to install fresh install over a current version, or if i wanted to repair windows..

i would select repair a current windows instalation.

Select the correct one and let it repair.

It would simply reinstall all of windows system files, meaning i would need to do updates,

but my games would still be installed and registered in the registry...

however there can be 2 isssues..

1 is if u had a network active when it was uninstalled. you may have a hard time enabeling it again. (i mean really hard time)

and

2, user documents will be els where and you would need to make a new user name.

Posted 03/29/2008 05:03 PM   
[quote name='rishubhav' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:20 PM']Problem is that now with a new card in I get an endless reboot cycle.

[right][snapback]353182[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would have used Last Known Good Configuration to start with but sounds like you have already gone too far to use that. Sounds like you have tried going into Safe Mode, right? Have you checked the Event Logs and Device Manager for troubleshooting info?

You'll want to make a note of the BSOD error and look this up here: [url="http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm"]BSOD errors[/url] should give you the right info to fix it and get your system back up and running again.
[quote name='rishubhav' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:20 PM']Problem is that now with a new card in I get an endless reboot cycle.

[snapback]353182[/snapback]

I would have used Last Known Good Configuration to start with but sounds like you have already gone too far to use that. Sounds like you have tried going into Safe Mode, right? Have you checked the Event Logs and Device Manager for troubleshooting info?

You'll want to make a note of the BSOD error and look this up here: BSOD errors should give you the right info to fix it and get your system back up and running again.

Posted 03/29/2008 05:05 PM   
Thats strange, usually when uninstall all the drivers, windows just treats it like a normal board and uses basic drivers. Then just go and reinstall the drivers, like i had to do when swapped out my 680i for 780i. I wipped out all the drivers and it just treated the system as if windows had just been installed.
In ur case sounds like windows got a corrupt file on u and went postal...
Thats strange, usually when uninstall all the drivers, windows just treats it like a normal board and uses basic drivers. Then just go and reinstall the drivers, like i had to do when swapped out my 680i for 780i. I wipped out all the drivers and it just treated the system as if windows had just been installed.

In ur case sounds like windows got a corrupt file on u and went postal...

Posted 03/30/2008 02:54 AM   
Scroll To Top