Properly installing a new driver
I am about to install the new 174.74 beta driver but am wondering how to properly go about it. Is it as simple as downloading and then using the installer application or do I need to uninstall or manually remove the files belonging to the previous driver version before installing the new one? I have experienced many problems with my computer since I got it in January. All the problems, according to tech support, point towards graphics drivers and vista. I have Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit). I have had issues such as (lots of stuttering or game not running smoothly like I would think it should with my comp stats, colorful polygons covering my screen while playing a game, computer restarts, bluescreens, and messages such as "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.") The games I play are World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and The Lord of the Rings Online(which was only for a trial run of it). Game Performance is lower than I expected with the computer I bought for all these games. The restarts and bluescreens happen with WoW as well as those colorful polygons. Oblivion is worst on performance issues. I have installed several drivers for the video card(even the same ones multiple times) and nothing seems to resolve these issues. The only problem I seem to have possibly resolved is the polygon issue in Wow. I changed out the digital converter and VGA cord to the monitor to just the DVI cord. Anyway, I'd just like to know how to properly install my next driver before doing it. Thanks.

Computer Spec:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
3GB of RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz
320GB Hard Drive -- 283 after Vista Install -- 7200 RPM SATA 16MB Cache
16X CD/DVD Burner with double layer write capability
I am about to install the new 174.74 beta driver but am wondering how to properly go about it. Is it as simple as downloading and then using the installer application or do I need to uninstall or manually remove the files belonging to the previous driver version before installing the new one? I have experienced many problems with my computer since I got it in January. All the problems, according to tech support, point towards graphics drivers and vista. I have Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit). I have had issues such as (lots of stuttering or game not running smoothly like I would think it should with my comp stats, colorful polygons covering my screen while playing a game, computer restarts, bluescreens, and messages such as "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.") The games I play are World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and The Lord of the Rings Online(which was only for a trial run of it). Game Performance is lower than I expected with the computer I bought for all these games. The restarts and bluescreens happen with WoW as well as those colorful polygons. Oblivion is worst on performance issues. I have installed several drivers for the video card(even the same ones multiple times) and nothing seems to resolve these issues. The only problem I seem to have possibly resolved is the polygon issue in Wow. I changed out the digital converter and VGA cord to the monitor to just the DVI cord. Anyway, I'd just like to know how to properly install my next driver before doing it. Thanks.

Computer Spec:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

3GB of RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz

320GB Hard Drive -- 283 after Vista Install -- 7200 RPM SATA 16MB Cache

16X CD/DVD Burner with double layer write capability

Posted 03/28/2008 05:23 PM   
Scroll To Top