9600GT Black Screen of Death! Black screen crash!
  1 / 2    
So.. I bought 9600GT recently... and it is working great untill... when I play Unreal Tournament 2004 or BattleField 2142 it crashes while I am playing ( always different time, sometimes I can play for 3 hours and sometimes only for like 15min). The crash looks like this : Black screen (no signal on monitor), constant sound loop and after few seceonds system reboots. I googled it and noticed that some other people have this problem. It is not PSU problem 100% ( I tried 700W 36A and it is still crashing). Other people tried other things and they still have the problem so I am thinking defected card but hoping for a miracle! Anyone have this problem or found a workaround?
So.. I bought 9600GT recently... and it is working great untill... when I play Unreal Tournament 2004 or BattleField 2142 it crashes while I am playing ( always different time, sometimes I can play for 3 hours and sometimes only for like 15min). The crash looks like this : Black screen (no signal on monitor), constant sound loop and after few seceonds system reboots. I googled it and noticed that some other people have this problem. It is not PSU problem 100% ( I tried 700W 36A and it is still crashing). Other people tried other things and they still have the problem so I am thinking defected card but hoping for a miracle! Anyone have this problem or found a workaround?
Attachments

DxDiag.txt

Posted 03/04/2008 02:48 PM   
Tried uninstalling the drivers first, and than install the latest drivers?

Could also be a heat problem, try putting your fan speed tp 100%
Tried uninstalling the drivers first, and than install the latest drivers?

Could also be a heat problem, try putting your fan speed tp 100%

Posted 03/04/2008 03:22 PM   
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=60826&st=40"]Check this thread.[/url]

Read through the thread I linked. You're not alone.
Check this thread.

Read through the thread I linked. You're not alone.

Posted 03/04/2008 03:49 PM   
I have a Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT factory clocked and I play all modern games at 1280x1024 with all settings maxed out (FSAA 8Q, x16 Anisotropic etc) with amazing results!!! I only have a crash problem with Assassin's Creed. I'm getting random crashes, but the game only not the whole OS. I have latest drivers from nvidia. Everything else goes smooth like silk, except the situation with Assassin's Creed. The card rocks man!!!!!! I'm amazed to see how fast it is with all the effects at full :)
I have a Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT factory clocked and I play all modern games at 1280x1024 with all settings maxed out (FSAA 8Q, x16 Anisotropic etc) with amazing results!!! I only have a crash problem with Assassin's Creed. I'm getting random crashes, but the game only not the whole OS. I have latest drivers from nvidia. Everything else goes smooth like silk, except the situation with Assassin's Creed. The card rocks man!!!!!! I'm amazed to see how fast it is with all the effects at full :)

Posted 03/12/2008 12:35 AM   
[quote name='deathcrush' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:35 AM']I have a Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT factory clocked and I play all modern games at 1280x1024 with all settings maxed out (FSAA 8Q, x16 Anisotropic etc) with amazing results!!! I only have a crash problem with Assassin's Creed. I'm getting random crashes, but the game only not the whole OS. I have latest drivers from nvidia. Everything else goes smooth like silk, except the situation with Assassin's Creed. The card rocks man!!!!!! I'm amazed to see how fast it is with all the effects at full  :)
[right][snapback]341420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's because you are using a pirated version of this game ;)
It's a known problem with that version as far as i read on forums.
So just wait for the original game
[quote name='deathcrush' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:35 AM']I have a Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT factory clocked and I play all modern games at 1280x1024 with all settings maxed out (FSAA 8Q, x16 Anisotropic etc) with amazing results!!! I only have a crash problem with Assassin's Creed. I'm getting random crashes, but the game only not the whole OS. I have latest drivers from nvidia. Everything else goes smooth like silk, except the situation with Assassin's Creed. The card rocks man!!!!!! I'm amazed to see how fast it is with all the effects at full  :)

[snapback]341420[/snapback]

That's because you are using a pirated version of this game ;)

It's a known problem with that version as far as i read on forums.

So just wait for the original game

Posted 03/12/2008 01:27 PM   
okay. Iv had this exact same problem since day 1 of getting my 9600GT XXX Edition.

Stand clocks are 680 Core, 950 Memory.

Anyways, I fiddled and fiddled with clock settings etc, and have found that the core clock on the card is what is causing the crashes.

At first I changed the core AND the mem clock down, and the crash would take allot longer to happen, but it still would happen.

So I did a little more research, and found that just changing the Core Clock down to 550mhz, seemed to do the trick.

The games that would crash out were;

CS:S
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
F.E.A.R
BF 2142

and some others.

After changing the core clock, I have not had a problem with black screen crashes.
The crashes used to happen in a matter of seconds, or within half an hour to an hour at the most.

Now I can run the games for more than 4-5hours, and still have no problems.

So download RivaTuner, install, and setup profiles for your card, and change settings for each game.

Some games can be left at normal clock speeds, like COD4, WoW (Which doesnt need it... :P) and some other games.

Changing just the core clock will not give a serious decrease in performance. You might lose a few frames, but it also depends on your CPU and RAM.

My system specs are:

AMD64x2 6000 3.00Ghz
4GB Team-Elite 800Mhz RAM
Seagate 250g 7200RPM HDD
M2N Sli-Deluxe Motherboard
Thermaltake Modular 550w PSU
Samsung 19" Syncmaster
9600GT XXX Edition
okay. Iv had this exact same problem since day 1 of getting my 9600GT XXX Edition.

Stand clocks are 680 Core, 950 Memory.

Anyways, I fiddled and fiddled with clock settings etc, and have found that the core clock on the card is what is causing the crashes.

At first I changed the core AND the mem clock down, and the crash would take allot longer to happen, but it still would happen.

So I did a little more research, and found that just changing the Core Clock down to 550mhz, seemed to do the trick.

The games that would crash out were;

CS:S

Assassin's Creed

Bioshock

F.E.A.R

BF 2142

and some others.

After changing the core clock, I have not had a problem with black screen crashes.

The crashes used to happen in a matter of seconds, or within half an hour to an hour at the most.

Now I can run the games for more than 4-5hours, and still have no problems.

So download RivaTuner, install, and setup profiles for your card, and change settings for each game.

Some games can be left at normal clock speeds, like COD4, WoW (Which doesnt need it... :P) and some other games.

Changing just the core clock will not give a serious decrease in performance. You might lose a few frames, but it also depends on your CPU and RAM.

My system specs are:

AMD64x2 6000 3.00Ghz

4GB Team-Elite 800Mhz RAM

Seagate 250g 7200RPM HDD

M2N Sli-Deluxe Motherboard

Thermaltake Modular 550w PSU

Samsung 19" Syncmaster

9600GT XXX Edition

Posted 06/25/2008 11:51 PM   
i've had the same problem.. my monitor suddenly shows "no signal" but i also notice that my GPU fan stopped spinning but my other hardware are still working (CPU fan still spinning, casing fans still spinning). The computer does not restart itself though.. could it have been my power supply unit? i just changed it to a new one (iMaster pro pc8000+ 600W) and replaced my 9600GT as well coz the previous card still had same problem after replacing PSU, was thinking that card was already messed up. But for now after changing the card and PSU, i have not encountered the problem and hopefully wont have the black screen again :rolleyes:
i've had the same problem.. my monitor suddenly shows "no signal" but i also notice that my GPU fan stopped spinning but my other hardware are still working (CPU fan still spinning, casing fans still spinning). The computer does not restart itself though.. could it have been my power supply unit? i just changed it to a new one (iMaster pro pc8000+ 600W) and replaced my 9600GT as well coz the previous card still had same problem after replacing PSU, was thinking that card was already messed up. But for now after changing the card and PSU, i have not encountered the problem and hopefully wont have the black screen again :rolleyes:

Posted 12/13/2008 03:10 AM   
Few months ago I purchased a Gigabyte 8800 GT 512mb, the one factory overclocked to 700-1720-920 mhz and cooled by Zalman. In the first day after my purchase the card began to "turn off" frequently while playing games (especially the relatively old ones) and the monitor displayed "NO SIGNAL DETECTED"..It happens frequently and sometimes with the system hanging and the sound repeating itself..Manually restarting the system by pressing the reset key on my case leads to the "NO VGA Detected" beeps of the mobo !!!..Restarting once again will solve the problem !!!

Games frequently affected: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Singles:triple Trouble, C&C Tiberium Wars among others..Personally I noticed that the lesser resource demanding the game is; the more likely the card will suddenly stop. The problem occured frequently in Dead Space, so I disabled the (vertical syncronization) to remove the FPS cap and enabled 16x anisotropic filtering and 16x antialiasing and the problem is no more! at least till now!!

I tried every driver version nVIDIA released, with no benefit. I read-across the internet-that other people are suffering from the same problem with that same model and one of the suggested causes was that the factory overclocking is not stable, so I used Rivatuner to reset the card to nVIDIA's default of 600-1500-900 mhz, but again with no benefit..And I'm pretty sure that it isn't overheating since I always watch the temps (even during gaming, thanks to rivatuner) and they never exceeded the normal range.
The problem occured in Win XP SP2 32 bit, Win Vista Ultimate SP1 32 & 64 bit.
Can increasing the card voltage from 1.1v to 1.2v (using a utility offered by Gigabyte called Gamer HUD) solve the problem? Is it safe? I didn't try this.
The other thing I didn't try is to flash a new BIOS, because it's too risky and I don't have another GFX if things went bad. Can it be of value regarding my problem? Is it worth the risk?
Few months ago I purchased a Gigabyte 8800 GT 512mb, the one factory overclocked to 700-1720-920 mhz and cooled by Zalman. In the first day after my purchase the card began to "turn off" frequently while playing games (especially the relatively old ones) and the monitor displayed "NO SIGNAL DETECTED"..It happens frequently and sometimes with the system hanging and the sound repeating itself..Manually restarting the system by pressing the reset key on my case leads to the "NO VGA Detected" beeps of the mobo !!!..Restarting once again will solve the problem !!!

Games frequently affected: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Singles:triple Trouble, C&C Tiberium Wars among others..Personally I noticed that the lesser resource demanding the game is; the more likely the card will suddenly stop. The problem occured frequently in Dead Space, so I disabled the (vertical syncronization) to remove the FPS cap and enabled 16x anisotropic filtering and 16x antialiasing and the problem is no more! at least till now!!

I tried every driver version nVIDIA released, with no benefit. I read-across the internet-that other people are suffering from the same problem with that same model and one of the suggested causes was that the factory overclocking is not stable, so I used Rivatuner to reset the card to nVIDIA's default of 600-1500-900 mhz, but again with no benefit..And I'm pretty sure that it isn't overheating since I always watch the temps (even during gaming, thanks to rivatuner) and they never exceeded the normal range.

The problem occured in Win XP SP2 32 bit, Win Vista Ultimate SP1 32 & 64 bit.

Can increasing the card voltage from 1.1v to 1.2v (using a utility offered by Gigabyte called Gamer HUD) solve the problem? Is it safe? I didn't try this.

The other thing I didn't try is to flash a new BIOS, because it's too risky and I don't have another GFX if things went bad. Can it be of value regarding my problem? Is it worth the risk?

Posted 12/18/2008 03:25 PM   
My Rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Ghz 1.23v @ 3.60 Ghz 1.44v, cooled by

Zalman CNPS 9500 LED @ 2700 rpm.....ASUS P5KSE P35 @ FSB 1800 Mhz,

northbridge cooled by Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II @5000 rpm.....OCZ

Reaper Heat Pipe Conduit PC2-8500 2*2Gb @1080 Mhz, 2.2v.....Gigabyte

8800 GT 512 Mb @ 700-1700-920 Mhz, cooled by Zalman VF-

700alcu.....Maxtor 160 Gb 7200 rpm HDD.....FSP-Group Blue Storm II 500

watt.....Modded cheap Discovery case with 4*80 mm fans, multi-colored

LEDs and air ducts.....Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64.....Latest

drivers & Direct X version installed
My Rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Ghz 1.23v @ 3.60 Ghz 1.44v, cooled by

Zalman CNPS 9500 LED @ 2700 rpm.....ASUS P5KSE P35 @ FSB 1800 Mhz,

northbridge cooled by Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II @5000 rpm.....OCZ

Reaper Heat Pipe Conduit PC2-8500 2*2Gb @1080 Mhz, 2.2v.....Gigabyte

8800 GT 512 Mb @ 700-1700-920 Mhz, cooled by Zalman VF-

700alcu.....Maxtor 160 Gb 7200 rpm HDD.....FSP-Group Blue Storm II 500

watt.....Modded cheap Discovery case with 4*80 mm fans, multi-colored

LEDs and air ducts.....Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64.....Latest

drivers & Direct X version installed

Posted 12/18/2008 03:30 PM   
I have been reading all over the internet about this problem which I am experiencing with some games and I have to hard boot after! This problem is not only on the 9600GT but it also happens on many new Nvidia cards including my new Inno3d 9800GTX+ and I think also the new GTX 200 series suffers the same too! I found it only happens on high resolutions (higher than 1280x1024) and usually when a lot of action or flashes in the games. I tried so many things but I can't really eliminate it completely! I found that changing the driver works with some games but not others so I figured is definitely a driver/game compatibility issue! I am hopping that Nvidia will fix it in their next release driver but they are not able to for 12 months now! The latest drivers 180.48 is worse of all! No wonder why so many people are moving on to ATI.

[b]If so many people have this problem then Nvidia must do something about it and should do it quickly or they will lose many sales and possibly suffer permenant damage to their business![/b]
I have been reading all over the internet about this problem which I am experiencing with some games and I have to hard boot after! This problem is not only on the 9600GT but it also happens on many new Nvidia cards including my new Inno3d 9800GTX+ and I think also the new GTX 200 series suffers the same too! I found it only happens on high resolutions (higher than 1280x1024) and usually when a lot of action or flashes in the games. I tried so many things but I can't really eliminate it completely! I found that changing the driver works with some games but not others so I figured is definitely a driver/game compatibility issue! I am hopping that Nvidia will fix it in their next release driver but they are not able to for 12 months now! The latest drivers 180.48 is worse of all! No wonder why so many people are moving on to ATI.

If so many people have this problem then Nvidia must do something about it and should do it quickly or they will lose many sales and possibly suffer permenant damage to their business!

Posted 12/27/2008 07:01 AM   
In my case I just needed to update my motherboar's BIOS, after doing so everything goes OK.... for the moment.....

P.D: My MB is ASUS M2V
In my case I just needed to update my motherboar's BIOS, after doing so everything goes OK.... for the moment.....

P.D: My MB is ASUS M2V

Posted 12/27/2008 05:30 PM   
I bought my GeForce 9600 GT, 512MB.

Well, my case is a little bit different.

As far as I can see you are able even to install your OS and all. However, firstly I was running smoothly the following system for 5 months (even played games on max like Crisis):

CPU: Intel CoreDuo 3.2GHz, 2MB cache
RAM: 3GB
MB: Asus P5GD1
PSU: 350W PSU Fortron

One day the monitor just gone black (no signal detected) at the system startup. It didn't even shown the bios screen.

I tested the card on another system:

CPU: IntelCore 2 Duo E8600, 3.33GHz, 6MB
MB: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe-WiFi
RAM: 4GB DDR3
PSU: Chieftec CFT-750A- 14C 750W

The HDD was not even formatted, so I started installing the OS (Windows Vista). At 33% the monitor just gone black and I could not change it in anyway - restarting the whole system, changing the cables monitor-to-PC (with and without a component from VGA-HDMI), changed the monitor, checked both of the monitors on another PCs (they worked fine).

The weird part comes here. When I brought it to the vendor and they turned on the system on a regular CRT monitor (with a VGA-HDMI component), everything worked fine, and even the testings gone fine.

EDIT: [b]Issue still persists[/b]. Yesterday I was able to run the PC all fine and even made some restarts without any problems.

However, once I turned it off and then on, it was not able to turn on the graphic card, even after restarts, turn off the whole system from the electricity network, and even replacing the card to another PC, replacing the signal output (the monitor). :(

This is very weird since I am not able to reproduce the issue. I'd like to mention again - I am not even able to see the BIOS boot up screen on both PCs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
I bought my GeForce 9600 GT, 512MB.

Well, my case is a little bit different.

As far as I can see you are able even to install your OS and all. However, firstly I was running smoothly the following system for 5 months (even played games on max like Crisis):

CPU: Intel CoreDuo 3.2GHz, 2MB cache

RAM: 3GB

MB: Asus P5GD1

PSU: 350W PSU Fortron

One day the monitor just gone black (no signal detected) at the system startup. It didn't even shown the bios screen.

I tested the card on another system:

CPU: IntelCore 2 Duo E8600, 3.33GHz, 6MB

MB: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe-WiFi

RAM: 4GB DDR3

PSU: Chieftec CFT-750A- 14C 750W

The HDD was not even formatted, so I started installing the OS (Windows Vista). At 33% the monitor just gone black and I could not change it in anyway - restarting the whole system, changing the cables monitor-to-PC (with and without a component from VGA-HDMI), changed the monitor, checked both of the monitors on another PCs (they worked fine).

The weird part comes here. When I brought it to the vendor and they turned on the system on a regular CRT monitor (with a VGA-HDMI component), everything worked fine, and even the testings gone fine.

EDIT: Issue still persists. Yesterday I was able to run the PC all fine and even made some restarts without any problems.

However, once I turned it off and then on, it was not able to turn on the graphic card, even after restarts, turn off the whole system from the electricity network, and even replacing the card to another PC, replacing the signal output (the monitor). :(

This is very weird since I am not able to reproduce the issue. I'd like to mention again - I am not even able to see the BIOS boot up screen on both PCs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Posted 12/30/2008 05:48 PM   
[b][u]Problem Solved[/u][/b]....I think! /smile2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':))' />
I encountered an in-game frequent hanging and/or crashing problem in a new build with Radeon HD 4870, searched the net for a fix and ended up solving mine!
Both problems seem to be caused by the GPU trying to switch from the clocks of 3D mode (700 ROP-1715 Shader-920 VRAM) to those of 2D mode (450-1200-700 in my case), this is a built-in feature meant to preserve energy when GPU power is not needed, problem is: the switch happens alot while games are running, especially "non-demanding" games, this explains why the "no signal" problem happens in those, as if the switch wants to take place but the whole graphics card is turned off for one reason or another.
[b]THE SOLUTION[/b]: To cut things short; I used rivatuner to set the clocks of all modes (3D, 2D and low-energy 3D) to those of 3D mode (700-1700-920), so technically now there is no switch! I made rivatuner apply these settings on windows startup to avoid repetition of the same steps. I tested the solution in an old game called "Singles: Triple Trouble", I used it because it used to make the problem appear within the first few minutes after its launch, and the problem is no more...till now at least. To reproduce the problem I defaulted the settings in Rivatuner while the game was still running ( by alt-tabbing) and OOPS!! the problem appeared almost immediately. What's left for me is playing Oblivion for a long period to confirm that everything is alright.
Please if this fix helps you solve your problem let me know, so we can spread it across the forums to help everyone.

[b]Note[/b]: I needed to use the "Power User" page in rivatuner to increase the upper limit of core (ROP) clock in 2D mode because it was 675mhz (150% of the default value of 450) and I needed to set it to 700 (equal to the 3D mode clock). You may need to do the same.
Problem Solved....I think! /smile2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':))' />

I encountered an in-game frequent hanging and/or crashing problem in a new build with Radeon HD 4870, searched the net for a fix and ended up solving mine!

Both problems seem to be caused by the GPU trying to switch from the clocks of 3D mode (700 ROP-1715 Shader-920 VRAM) to those of 2D mode (450-1200-700 in my case), this is a built-in feature meant to preserve energy when GPU power is not needed, problem is: the switch happens alot while games are running, especially "non-demanding" games, this explains why the "no signal" problem happens in those, as if the switch wants to take place but the whole graphics card is turned off for one reason or another.

THE SOLUTION: To cut things short; I used rivatuner to set the clocks of all modes (3D, 2D and low-energy 3D) to those of 3D mode (700-1700-920), so technically now there is no switch! I made rivatuner apply these settings on windows startup to avoid repetition of the same steps. I tested the solution in an old game called "Singles: Triple Trouble", I used it because it used to make the problem appear within the first few minutes after its launch, and the problem is no more...till now at least. To reproduce the problem I defaulted the settings in Rivatuner while the game was still running ( by alt-tabbing) and OOPS!! the problem appeared almost immediately. What's left for me is playing Oblivion for a long period to confirm that everything is alright.

Please if this fix helps you solve your problem let me know, so we can spread it across the forums to help everyone.

Note: I needed to use the "Power User" page in rivatuner to increase the upper limit of core (ROP) clock in 2D mode because it was 675mhz (150% of the default value of 450) and I needed to set it to 700 (equal to the 3D mode clock). You may need to do the same.

Posted 12/31/2008 08:32 PM   

My 9800GTX+ has only 2 GPU modes 2D (300Mhz) and 3D (760Mhz). I am pretty sure It doesn't switch between them during a game otherwise I would have noticed it on Rivatuner monitor. The problem gone for me on many new games like Prince of Persia, Crysis Warhead and COD W@W by using driver 178.24 however it happened again recently on 007 Quantum of solace. I then used Rivatuner and just reduced the GPU clock to the reference speed 738, 1782, 1120 (linked) and ticked the "Enable motherboard compatibility mode" apply settings at startup and restart. I then went to the same point in the game and didn't crash. You see Rivatuner takes control of the driver and I guess prevents it from running wild and overstressing the hardware especially if its already factory overclocked. So I think the new Nvidia drivers are too hot and over perform while sacrificing stability! Its not a problem with any hardware its Nvidia drivers.

Just try what I did and see if it goes.

My 9800GTX+ has only 2 GPU modes 2D (300Mhz) and 3D (760Mhz). I am pretty sure It doesn't switch between them during a game otherwise I would have noticed it on Rivatuner monitor. The problem gone for me on many new games like Prince of Persia, Crysis Warhead and COD W@W by using driver 178.24 however it happened again recently on 007 Quantum of solace. I then used Rivatuner and just reduced the GPU clock to the reference speed 738, 1782, 1120 (linked) and ticked the "Enable motherboard compatibility mode" apply settings at startup and restart. I then went to the same point in the game and didn't crash. You see Rivatuner takes control of the driver and I guess prevents it from running wild and overstressing the hardware especially if its already factory overclocked. So I think the new Nvidia drivers are too hot and over perform while sacrificing stability! Its not a problem with any hardware its Nvidia drivers.

Just try what I did and see if it goes.

Posted 01/08/2009 06:36 PM   
Hey,

I have the same problem, but I didn't have it all always. First when I bought the card it worked just fine, but a month ago I started to have this problem.
Now I would wan't to know what a possible solution would be to resolve this. I know that there are some solutions above, but I want to be sure it works before I do something.

Thanks

NGDM
Hey,

I have the same problem, but I didn't have it all always. First when I bought the card it worked just fine, but a month ago I started to have this problem.

Now I would wan't to know what a possible solution would be to resolve this. I know that there are some solutions above, but I want to be sure it works before I do something.

Thanks

NGDM

Posted 02/04/2009 10:52 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top