Problems with my GeForce 9600 GT OC Graphics Card Issue
  1 / 21    
After installing a new PSU (430w) and a new GeForce 9600 GT OC (this card asks for a 400w power source) and checking all of the connections several times, I have absolutely no problems running graphically intense games on the highest of video settings. I downloaded the video card monitoring program provided by NVidia and my graphics card is running with acceptable temperature ranges.

After installing I updated all drivers via the NVidia website.

After updating my drivers, I booted into BIOS and switched my graphics card location from onboard to PCI-E, where it is located in my computer.

After an hour or so of gaming my monitor will stop receiving a signal and my computer will lock up (repetitive sound bites, etc). This, to me sounds like an over-heating problem, but as soon as I reboot, I can resume gaming again for another hour or so until this happens again (there is no wait or cool-off time). Also, I've kept an eye on the temperature and it never exceeds 60 degrees C. I have no idea what’s going on.

I know defective cards are fairly rare, but I’ve pretty much eliminated everything short of that. Now, I still have the integrated NVidia drivers installed on my computer from my prior card and am pretty sure they wouldn’t conflict with the new card (I’m afraid to delete them in the off chance this new card doesn’t work out for some reason).

Any ideas?
After installing a new PSU (430w) and a new GeForce 9600 GT OC (this card asks for a 400w power source) and checking all of the connections several times, I have absolutely no problems running graphically intense games on the highest of video settings. I downloaded the video card monitoring program provided by NVidia and my graphics card is running with acceptable temperature ranges.

After updating my drivers, I booted into BIOS and switched my graphics card location from onboard to PCI-E, where it is located in my computer.

After an hour or so of gaming my monitor will stop receiving a signal and my computer will lock up (repetitive sound bites, etc). This, to me sounds like an over-heating problem, but as soon as I reboot, I can resume gaming again for another hour or so until this happens again (there is no wait or cool-off time). Also, I've kept an eye on the temperature and it never exceeds 60 degrees C. I have no idea what’s going on.

I know defective cards are fairly rare, but I’ve pretty much eliminated everything short of that. Now, I still have the integrated NVidia drivers installed on my computer from my prior card and am pretty sure they wouldn’t conflict with the new card (I’m afraid to delete them in the off chance this new card doesn’t work out for some reason).

Any ideas?

Posted 02/26/2008 08:46 AM   
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:46 AM']After installing a new PSU (430w) and a new GeForce 9600 GT OC (this card asks for a 400w power source) and checking all of the connections several times, I have absolutely no problems running graphically intense games on the highest of video settings.  I downloaded the video card monitoring program provided by NVidia and my graphics card is running with acceptable temperature ranges.

After an hour or so of gaming my monitor will stop receiving a signal and my computer will lock up (repetitive sound bites, etc).  This, to me sounds like an over-heating problem, but as soon as I reboot, I can resume gaming again for another hour or so until this happens again (there is no wait or cool-off time).  Also, I've kept an eye on the temperature and it never exceeds 60 degrees C.  I have no idea what’s going on.

I know defective cards are fairly rare, but I’ve pretty much eliminated everything short of that.  Now, I still have the integrated NVidia drivers installed on my computer from my prior card and am pretty sure they wouldn’t conflict with the new card (I’m afraid to delete them in the off chance this new card doesn’t work out for some reason).

Any ideas?
[right][snapback]333680[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi!

Have you updated the chipset driver for your motherboard too?

Updated the sound card driver?

If your integrated video chip is another brand than Nvidia? Uninstall the driver for it.

It could be that your video cards memory is overheating. The temperatures from the card you see is from the temp diode, wich only measures the gpu (Graphic Processor Unit) temperatures.

If you have a spare case fan lieing around? Have it arranged to blow over the card from back to front.

Or open the case and have a table fan flowing in. If this works?

Then maybe, you should consider getting a "pci blower fan" like this:

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835299004"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835299004[/url]

Probably, the best placement is below the video card ( hot air trapped under the card). But exsperiment some with the placement anyway.
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:46 AM']After installing a new PSU (430w) and a new GeForce 9600 GT OC (this card asks for a 400w power source) and checking all of the connections several times, I have absolutely no problems running graphically intense games on the highest of video settings.  I downloaded the video card monitoring program provided by NVidia and my graphics card is running with acceptable temperature ranges.

After an hour or so of gaming my monitor will stop receiving a signal and my computer will lock up (repetitive sound bites, etc).  This, to me sounds like an over-heating problem, but as soon as I reboot, I can resume gaming again for another hour or so until this happens again (there is no wait or cool-off time).  Also, I've kept an eye on the temperature and it never exceeds 60 degrees C.  I have no idea what’s going on.

I know defective cards are fairly rare, but I’ve pretty much eliminated everything short of that.  Now, I still have the integrated NVidia drivers installed on my computer from my prior card and am pretty sure they wouldn’t conflict with the new card (I’m afraid to delete them in the off chance this new card doesn’t work out for some reason).

Any ideas?

[snapback]333680[/snapback]

Hi!

Have you updated the chipset driver for your motherboard too?

Updated the sound card driver?

If your integrated video chip is another brand than Nvidia? Uninstall the driver for it.

It could be that your video cards memory is overheating. The temperatures from the card you see is from the temp diode, wich only measures the gpu (Graphic Processor Unit) temperatures.

If you have a spare case fan lieing around? Have it arranged to blow over the card from back to front.

Or open the case and have a table fan flowing in. If this works?

Then maybe, you should consider getting a "pci blower fan" like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835299004

Probably, the best placement is below the video card ( hot air trapped under the card). But exsperiment some with the placement anyway.

Case: Antec P 180B. modded. 2 x 120mm Noctua fans.

Psu: Corsair HX 750W modular.

Mobo: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR.

Cpu: Intel Core i7 920 2.6GHz @ 3.4 GHz.

Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 3GB DDR 3. 1600

Video cards: Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X Crossfire.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640gb Black edt.

Sound: Auzentech X-FI Prelude. Camebridge Desktop theatre 5.1 speakers.

Posted 02/26/2008 08:55 AM   
For updates for my chipset; where can I find the information on my computer (as to the exact chipset I'm using) to search for an update?
For updates for my chipset; where can I find the information on my computer (as to the exact chipset I'm using) to search for an update?

Posted 02/26/2008 09:07 AM   
Also download RivaTuner and use it to turn your fanspeed up. I'm not sure of the default setting but the 2 previously released cards from Nvidia were set to 29% duty cycle for the fanspeed. While this made the fan absolutely silent, it sucked for cooling the card. Cranking it up to 50-60% duty cycle will still keep it all but silent but will greatly increase the cooling efficiency.

Axis
Also download RivaTuner and use it to turn your fanspeed up. I'm not sure of the default setting but the 2 previously released cards from Nvidia were set to 29% duty cycle for the fanspeed. While this made the fan absolutely silent, it sucked for cooling the card. Cranking it up to 50-60% duty cycle will still keep it all but silent but will greatly increase the cooling efficiency.

Axis

[CPU] QX6700 @ 3.50ghz with TR Ultra 120 Extreme (XP Pro)
[MB] DFI LP LT X48
[GPU] MSI GTX260
[Mem] Corsair Dominators 2x2gig PC2 8500
[HDD] 3X Seagate SATA- 180, 250, and 320
[PSU] OCZ GamersXtreme GsxSli 600w
[Case] CoolerMaster CM690

Posted 02/26/2008 09:08 AM   
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:07 AM']For updates for my chipset; where can I find the information on my computer (as to the exact chipset I'm using) to search for an update?
[right][snapback]333696[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Download Everest Home.

[url="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html"]http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html[/url]

Look under "motherboard" + "chipset" + "northbridge chipset".

Then head over to the chipset manufacturers home for a new driver.

If you find that your mobo have a"NForce chipset"? It's Nvidia home you should visit.

And as Axis said. Download Riva Tuner and crank up the vga fan some.
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:07 AM']For updates for my chipset; where can I find the information on my computer (as to the exact chipset I'm using) to search for an update?

[snapback]333696[/snapback]

Download Everest Home.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Look under "motherboard" + "chipset" + "northbridge chipset".

Then head over to the chipset manufacturers home for a new driver.

If you find that your mobo have a"NForce chipset"? It's Nvidia home you should visit.

And as Axis said. Download Riva Tuner and crank up the vga fan some.

Posted 02/26/2008 09:15 AM   
Downloaded RivaTuner, How do I work this program; I'm not seeing and fan clocking settings.
Downloaded RivaTuner, How do I work this program; I'm not seeing and fan clocking settings.

Posted 02/26/2008 09:21 AM   
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:21 AM']Downloaded RivaTuner, How do I work this program; I'm not seeing and fan clocking settings.
[right][snapback]333702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

1. In the main menue. Click the tab "settings". Check the box that makes Riva Tuner start with Windows. Return to the main menue.

2. Click the button in the window, where it says "Forceware detected". Click the video card icon and the "fan tab" and change the small window in the upper right corner from "auto control" to "direct control". Set the "performace 3D" slider to a higher value. The other sliders will follow as soon as you save the setting.
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:21 AM']Downloaded RivaTuner, How do I work this program; I'm not seeing and fan clocking settings.

[snapback]333702[/snapback]

1. In the main menue. Click the tab "settings". Check the box that makes Riva Tuner start with Windows. Return to the main menue.

2. Click the button in the window, where it says "Forceware detected". Click the video card icon and the "fan tab" and change the small window in the upper right corner from "auto control" to "direct control". Set the "performace 3D" slider to a higher value. The other sliders will follow as soon as you save the setting.

Posted 02/26/2008 09:28 AM   
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 02:28 AM']1. In the main menue. Click the tab "settings". Check the box that makes Riva Tuner start with Windows. Return to the main menue.

2. Click the button in the window, where it says "Forceware detected". Click the video card icon and the "fan tab" and change the small window in the upper right corner from "auto control" to "direct control". Set  the "performace 3D" slider to a higher value. The other sliders will follow as soon as you save the setting.
[right][snapback]333703[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm probably just being an idiot, but under "Driver Settings" it does have a list of ForceWare Detected, but there is no button to click :wacko:
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 02:28 AM']1. In the main menue. Click the tab "settings". Check the box that makes Riva Tuner start with Windows. Return to the main menue.

2. Click the button in the window, where it says "Forceware detected". Click the video card icon and the "fan tab" and change the small window in the upper right corner from "auto control" to "direct control". Set  the "performace 3D" slider to a higher value. The other sliders will follow as soon as you save the setting.

[snapback]333703[/snapback]

I'm probably just being an idiot, but under "Driver Settings" it does have a list of ForceWare Detected, but there is no button to click :wacko:

Posted 02/26/2008 09:34 AM   
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:34 AM']I'm probably just being an idiot, but under "Driver Settings" it does have a list of ForceWare Detected, but there is no button to click  :wacko:
[right][snapback]333707[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In the main menue. You have 2 windows with a button at the end. The uppermost, tell you what video card you have.

The other window says "forceware detected" click the button to the right in that corner.
And you will find the video card icon I whas talking about.

Click the screenshot one more time after you have opended it. Could be you got a corrupt download too?

[url="http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture6ae7.jpg"][img]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7601/capture6ae7.th.jpg[/img][/url]
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:34 AM']I'm probably just being an idiot, but under "Driver Settings" it does have a list of ForceWare Detected, but there is no button to click  :wacko:

[snapback]333707[/snapback]

In the main menue. You have 2 windows with a button at the end. The uppermost, tell you what video card you have.

The other window says "forceware detected" click the button to the right in that corner.

Click the screenshot one more time after you have opended it. Could be you got a corrupt download too?

Posted 02/26/2008 10:12 AM   
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:12 AM']In the main menue. You have 2 windows with a button at the end. The uppermost, tell you what video card you have.

Click the screenshot one more time after you have opended it.

[url="http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture6ae7.jpg"][img]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7601/capture6ae7.th.jpg[/img][/url]
[right][snapback]333725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Mine does not have that button. I'm downloading the forecewear drivers for my specific card. I'm not sure if that will do anything. Does that mean the card wasn't auto detected?
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:12 AM']In the main menue. You have 2 windows with a button at the end. The uppermost, tell you what video card you have.

Click the screenshot one more time after you have opended it.

[snapback]333725[/snapback]

Mine does not have that button. I'm downloading the forecewear drivers for my specific card. I'm not sure if that will do anything. Does that mean the card wasn't auto detected?

Posted 02/26/2008 10:15 AM   
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:15 AM']Mine does not have that button.  I'm downloading the forecewear drivers for my specific card.  I'm not sure if that will do anything.  Does that mean the card wasn't auto detected?
[right][snapback]333728[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Maybe you should check your device manager?

Also, download this driver cleaner, and use it after you have uninstalled the present driver.

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745[/url]

This is how to use the cleaner:

Enable the "multiple filter". Add following to the cleaner filter: Nvidia, Nvidia wdm and Nvidia stereo. Run the cleaner and reboot. Install the new driver.

Or maybe, you just got a corrupt download of Riva Tuner?

Did you download the Riva Tuner 2.06?

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163[/url]
[quote name='rec0re' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:15 AM']Mine does not have that button.  I'm downloading the forecewear drivers for my specific card.  I'm not sure if that will do anything.  Does that mean the card wasn't auto detected?

[snapback]333728[/snapback]

Maybe you should check your device manager?

Also, download this driver cleaner, and use it after you have uninstalled the present driver.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Enable the "multiple filter". Add following to the cleaner filter: Nvidia, Nvidia wdm and Nvidia stereo. Run the cleaner and reboot. Install the new driver.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Posted 02/26/2008 10:19 AM   
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:19 AM']Maybe you should check your device manager?

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745[/url]

[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163[/url]
[right][snapback]333729[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup, that exactly what I DLed.

What I have looks liek this...
[quote name='where?wolf' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:19 AM']Maybe you should check your device manager?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

[snapback]333729[/snapback]

Yup, that exactly what I DLed.

What I have looks liek this...

Posted 02/26/2008 10:37 AM   
bah, I'm getting a little frustrated. Are there any other programs available to clock the fanspeed up? I'm at a loss.
bah, I'm getting a little frustrated. Are there any other programs available to clock the fanspeed up? I'm at a loss.

Posted 02/26/2008 11:09 AM   
Hello,

I overclocked my 9600 GT OC as you can see here.
[url="http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/8qmwb/"]http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/8qmwb/[/url]

I used the Gainward Expertool from here, [url="http://www.gainward.net/support/support_uk.html"]http://www.gainward.net/support/support_uk.html[/url]

Simply download, install, run and then click on the taskbar icon. Make sure to set it to start with windows. Then you can over clock and set fan speeds, see temp with a click or two on the taskbar icon.

Chris
Hello,

I overclocked my 9600 GT OC as you can see here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/8qmwb/

I used the Gainward Expertool from here, http://www.gainward.net/support/support_uk.html

Simply download, install, run and then click on the taskbar icon. Make sure to set it to start with windows. Then you can over clock and set fan speeds, see temp with a click or two on the taskbar icon.

Chris

Posted 02/26/2008 12:52 PM   
From what i understand there are issues in the new arcitecture of the cards. I am having the same issue but have been pointed in the direction of power.

I am using an Ultra 500w PSU and after about 4 hours of use on the new card the same issues happened to me.

I am going to run the BFG 9600 GT OC on a stress test over night on a bigger PSU and see if there are any improvements. If it fails, then i would lead to card failure and return it.
From what i understand there are issues in the new arcitecture of the cards. I am having the same issue but have been pointed in the direction of power.

I am using an Ultra 500w PSU and after about 4 hours of use on the new card the same issues happened to me.

I am going to run the BFG 9600 GT OC on a stress test over night on a bigger PSU and see if there are any improvements. If it fails, then i would lead to card failure and return it.

Posted 02/26/2008 06:16 PM   
  1 / 21    
Scroll To Top