GeForce Performance Ratings? 6600 or Better
This is going to sound like a dumb question to most of you, but I need to make sure of something before I spend the $$. I have some software that will not run on my current graphics card and the minimum system requirements state NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better. After some shopping around, I have found that the 6600 is not availble for instore purchase. Now here comes the dumb question......would any of the 7000 or 8000 series of cards fall into the "or better" category? I'm assuming that NVIDIA uses a higher number for cards with higher performance. Is this true? Will a 7000 or 8000 series card work?
This is going to sound like a dumb question to most of you, but I need to make sure of something before I spend the $$. I have some software that will not run on my current graphics card and the minimum system requirements state NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better. After some shopping around, I have found that the 6600 is not availble for instore purchase. Now here comes the dumb question......would any of the 7000 or 8000 series of cards fall into the "or better" category? I'm assuming that NVIDIA uses a higher number for cards with higher performance. Is this true? Will a 7000 or 8000 series card work?

Posted 02/21/2008 01:38 PM   
No dumb question at all. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> Most people are confused by todays hardware labeling.
The Geforce 7 series 'replaced' the 6 series back in, i think it was 2005. The 8 series 'replaced' the 7 series last year.

The question is: what would you be using the card for?
No dumb question at all. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> Most people are confused by todays hardware labeling.

The Geforce 7 series 'replaced' the 6 series back in, i think it was 2005. The 8 series 'replaced' the 7 series last year.

The question is: what would you be using the card for?

Posted 02/21/2008 01:48 PM   
Gaming. I have loaded COD4 on my PC, however, whenever I open it, I get an error message stating that it failed to initalize due to some video settings. I double checked the system requirements for the software and have found that I meet all of them except for my card. I currently have the competitors 9250 (which obviously isn't working), and would like to upgrade to the NVIDIA card.
Gaming. I have loaded COD4 on my PC, however, whenever I open it, I get an error message stating that it failed to initalize due to some video settings. I double checked the system requirements for the software and have found that I meet all of them except for my card. I currently have the competitors 9250 (which obviously isn't working), and would like to upgrade to the NVIDIA card.

Posted 02/21/2008 02:03 PM   
Your current card is indeed outdated.

Could you give me a list of your system specs? plus i would like to know what your willing to spend on a new card.
Your current card is indeed outdated.

Could you give me a list of your system specs? plus i would like to know what your willing to spend on a new card.

Posted 02/21/2008 02:09 PM   
If you thought my video card was outdated, get ready for this.....

Intell Celeron 2.6 GHz Processor
512 MB RAM @ 400 MHz
Windows XP
80 GB hard drive
I'm not sure of the motherboard manufacturer, but it only has one AGP slot for the video card and 3 PCR DIMM slots. (I don't know if this helps at all, but it's all I know about the board)

I would like to spend less than $200 for the card. The less expensive, the better.

I mentioned that I meet most of the software minimum requirements......I never said anything about exceeding the requirements.....
If you thought my video card was outdated, get ready for this.....

512 MB RAM @ 400 MHz

Windows XP

80 GB hard drive

I'm not sure of the motherboard manufacturer, but it only has one AGP slot for the video card and 3 PCR DIMM slots. (I don't know if this helps at all, but it's all I know about the board)

I would like to spend less than $200 for the card. The less expensive, the better.

I mentioned that I meet most of the software minimum requirements......I never said anything about exceeding the requirements.....

Posted 02/21/2008 02:28 PM   
A good upgrade would be a Geforce 7600gs or 7600gt. Since the rest of your system will just be holding back a faster card and that would just be a waste of money.
A good upgrade would be a Geforce 7600gs or 7600gt. Since the rest of your system will just be holding back a faster card and that would just be a waste of money.

Posted 02/21/2008 02:36 PM   
Hello /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' /> ,

Yes a geforce 7 or 8 series will work, but remember nvidia markets each series slightly differntly. For example, a 7300 GT will not even come close to out performing a 6800 GT. I would recommend a 7600 GS and up for the 7 series, or a 8600 GT and up in the 8 series.

The only problem is the rest of your system >.< , though a 7600 GS would let you play the games, I would not get anything higher than a 7600 GS, since anything higher would be bottlenecked by the CPU, in fact in this case a 7300 GT / 7600 GS will be your only nVIDIA options, a ATI /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> x1650 Pro would do the job just fine, but nVIDIA has much more stable drivers.

,TheDarkLord B)
Hello /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' /> ,

Yes a geforce 7 or 8 series will work, but remember nvidia markets each series slightly differntly. For example, a 7300 GT will not even come close to out performing a 6800 GT. I would recommend a 7600 GS and up for the 7 series, or a 8600 GT and up in the 8 series.

The only problem is the rest of your system >.< , though a 7600 GS would let you play the games, I would not get anything higher than a 7600 GS, since anything higher would be bottlenecked by the CPU, in fact in this case a 7300 GT / 7600 GS will be your only nVIDIA options, a ATI /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> x1650 Pro would do the job just fine, but nVIDIA has much more stable drivers.

,TheDarkLord B)

Posted 02/21/2008 08:58 PM   
[quote name='dfuzzy78' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:28 AM']If you thought my video card was outdated, get ready for this.....

512 MB RAM @ 400 MHz
Windows XP
80 GB hard drive
I'm not sure of the motherboard manufacturer, but it only has one AGP slot for the video card and 3 PCR DIMM slots.  (I don't know if this helps at all, but it's all I know about the board)

I would like to spend less than $200 for the card.  The less expensive, the better.

[right][snapback]330722[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

since you have an agp slot you wont be able to get an 8 series card, you will have to get one from the 7 series
[quote name='dfuzzy78' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:28 AM']If you thought my video card was outdated, get ready for this.....

512 MB RAM @ 400 MHz

Windows XP

80 GB hard drive

I'm not sure of the motherboard manufacturer, but it only has one AGP slot for the video card and 3 PCR DIMM slots.  (I don't know if this helps at all, but it's all I know about the board)

I would like to spend less than $200 for the card.  The less expensive, the better.

[snapback]330722[/snapback]

since you have an agp slot you wont be able to get an 8 series card, you will have to get one from the 7 series

Posted 02/21/2008 09:02 PM   
Scroll To Top