Nforce 680i RAID Problems Asus P5N32-E SLI
Hi there, ummmm, where to begin? I've been running a raid set consisting of 2 x 500GB Western Digital SATA II 3GB/s 16mb cache hard disks in stripe mode for the past 3 months or so. I purchased the hard disks brand new and they are only 3 months old.

There are 2 partitions on the now 1TB disk, one small 100GB partition for my windows XP installation and another 900GB partition for my storage purposes.

About 1 week ago, my pc suddenly froze at the windows boot screen. It would just load and load for hours. At this point I was not sure what had gone wrong or what to do so I decided to try reinstalling windows XP. I could not manage to reinstall windows on the 100GB partition on the raid set as the installer kept hanging at 7% at the stage where the cd copies windows install files to disk.

I then proceeded to install windows on another, now new, seperate hard disk, a 250GB seagate drive. Once I entered windows and was able to reconnect my raid disks I was able to access the 900GB partition on the raid set normally. At this point i figured that the 100GB partition had just possibly gone bad for some unknown reason and I attempted to delete it and recreate it. I was unable to do this, messages started popping up from my task bar reading "Access failure on RAID Disk" yadda yadda, the wording is a bit fuzzy as it was a while ago.

I was able to continue using it this way until eventually my pc refused to boot so long as my raid disks were connected to the computer.

Worried for my data and under the impression that wiping everything and starting over might work for me I copied all of my data to other drives and deleted all of the partitions on the raid disks and recreated the raid set. I created 1 large 1TB partition and hoped for the best. After copying all of my data back I realised that the problem had not yet been resolved because after seeing the same error message pop up "Access failure" yadda yadda my pc immediately became unusable and I had to disconnect the raid disks to boot my pc again.

This has been an ongoing problem for the past 2 weeks and I've been pulling my hair out. If anyone can make so much as the smallest suggestion in order to diagnose/fix the problem I would be eternally grateful.

:'(

My Rig's specs if necessary:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
GeForce 8800GTX
Enermax 680Watt PSU
Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
2 x Western Digital 500GB SATA (in raid)
1 x Seagate 250GB SATA disk

Thank you
Linden
Hi there, ummmm, where to begin? I've been running a raid set consisting of 2 x 500GB Western Digital SATA II 3GB/s 16mb cache hard disks in stripe mode for the past 3 months or so. I purchased the hard disks brand new and they are only 3 months old.

There are 2 partitions on the now 1TB disk, one small 100GB partition for my windows XP installation and another 900GB partition for my storage purposes.

About 1 week ago, my pc suddenly froze at the windows boot screen. It would just load and load for hours. At this point I was not sure what had gone wrong or what to do so I decided to try reinstalling windows XP. I could not manage to reinstall windows on the 100GB partition on the raid set as the installer kept hanging at 7% at the stage where the cd copies windows install files to disk.

I then proceeded to install windows on another, now new, seperate hard disk, a 250GB seagate drive. Once I entered windows and was able to reconnect my raid disks I was able to access the 900GB partition on the raid set normally. At this point i figured that the 100GB partition had just possibly gone bad for some unknown reason and I attempted to delete it and recreate it. I was unable to do this, messages started popping up from my task bar reading "Access failure on RAID Disk" yadda yadda, the wording is a bit fuzzy as it was a while ago.

I was able to continue using it this way until eventually my pc refused to boot so long as my raid disks were connected to the computer.

Worried for my data and under the impression that wiping everything and starting over might work for me I copied all of my data to other drives and deleted all of the partitions on the raid disks and recreated the raid set. I created 1 large 1TB partition and hoped for the best. After copying all of my data back I realised that the problem had not yet been resolved because after seeing the same error message pop up "Access failure" yadda yadda my pc immediately became unusable and I had to disconnect the raid disks to boot my pc again.

This has been an ongoing problem for the past 2 weeks and I've been pulling my hair out. If anyone can make so much as the smallest suggestion in order to diagnose/fix the problem I would be eternally grateful.

:'(

My Rig's specs if necessary:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

GeForce 8800GTX

Enermax 680Watt PSU

Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

2 x Western Digital 500GB SATA (in raid)

1 x Seagate 250GB SATA disk

Thank you

Linden

Posted 02/17/2008 08:58 PM   
It's a problem with the Nforce RAID controller. I've had nothing but problems when using RAID with the same motherboard you have.

About 1 month ago I contacted Asus support and told them about all the problems I was having. They got back to me a few days later with this reply:

The problems you are having are a problem with your operating system and we cannot help you with that.

Best regards,
Asus Tsd

I then replied to the ticket with more information to show them it had nothing to do with the OS but they simply do not reply.

Advice: Create a support ticket with Asus (you never known) and never buy an nforce/Asus motherboard again.
It's a problem with the Nforce RAID controller. I've had nothing but problems when using RAID with the same motherboard you have.

About 1 month ago I contacted Asus support and told them about all the problems I was having. They got back to me a few days later with this reply:

The problems you are having are a problem with your operating system and we cannot help you with that.

Best regards,

Asus Tsd

I then replied to the ticket with more information to show them it had nothing to do with the OS but they simply do not reply.

Advice: Create a support ticket with Asus (you never known) and never buy an nforce/Asus motherboard again.

Posted 02/18/2008 07:44 AM   
[quote name='MajorWinters' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:44 AM']It's a problem with the Nforce RAID controller. I've had nothing but problems when using RAID with the same motherboard you have.

Best regards,
Asus Tsd

[right][snapback]328796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is it possible to plug the raid set created with the nforce controller into a silicon image controller and still have the raid set in tact? Also, would you say that if it is a prob with the nforce controller my data is still in tact? Is it not in tact?
[quote name='MajorWinters' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:44 AM']It's a problem with the Nforce RAID controller. I've had nothing but problems when using RAID with the same motherboard you have.

Best regards,

Asus Tsd

[snapback]328796[/snapback]

Is it possible to plug the raid set created with the nforce controller into a silicon image controller and still have the raid set in tact? Also, would you say that if it is a prob with the nforce controller my data is still in tact? Is it not in tact?

Posted 02/18/2008 03:07 PM   
Hello. Sorry you're both having problems with the RAID controller on the P5N32-E. I ran a pair of Raptors on the same board for over a year with no problems (except for the disappointing performance sadly attributable to the chipset in general, not the board in specific).

First, what BIOS version are you running? 1203 is the recommended revision unless you have a Wolfdale (in which case, 1403 is the best) or Razer IO devices (1205 or 1403).

In general, it sounds like your array was damaged on the OS partition. Deleting and recreating the array doesn't (believe it or not) reformat the HDD, which means the corrupt sector may still be present after rebuilding the array. The good news is - as I have learned - that the data should be intact after rebuilding the array, unless you subsequently overwrote it (which reinstalling the OS might have done, at least partially). You simply need to undelete it using your favorite program. As far as repairing the problem, I recommend using your favorite disk doctor program (google "hdd sector scan"). Or, if you're anal like me, simply use a powerful format utility (google "hdd completely delete").

***EDIT: Personal preference through experience is to manage my arrays from the BIOS-level utility, not within the OS. Another post script is that you should always ensure the latest chipset driver is installed.
Hello. Sorry you're both having problems with the RAID controller on the P5N32-E. I ran a pair of Raptors on the same board for over a year with no problems (except for the disappointing performance sadly attributable to the chipset in general, not the board in specific).

First, what BIOS version are you running? 1203 is the recommended revision unless you have a Wolfdale (in which case, 1403 is the best) or Razer IO devices (1205 or 1403).

In general, it sounds like your array was damaged on the OS partition. Deleting and recreating the array doesn't (believe it or not) reformat the HDD, which means the corrupt sector may still be present after rebuilding the array. The good news is - as I have learned - that the data should be intact after rebuilding the array, unless you subsequently overwrote it (which reinstalling the OS might have done, at least partially). You simply need to undelete it using your favorite program. As far as repairing the problem, I recommend using your favorite disk doctor program (google "hdd sector scan"). Or, if you're anal like me, simply use a powerful format utility (google "hdd completely delete").

***EDIT: Personal preference through experience is to manage my arrays from the BIOS-level utility, not within the OS. Another post script is that you should always ensure the latest chipset driver is installed.

Posted 02/19/2008 06:19 PM   
Scroll To Top