Dual monitor problem
While playing a game, I would like the second screen to be used for internet, chat programs, ect. I know this game allows it, others have told me when they start the game it asks them on which screen they would like to play the game. I'm sure NVIDIA has a setting somewhere for this, but I can't seem to find it.

I have a GEFORCE 6800 XTreme with the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager installed.

I've gone through most of the setting and can't seem to find anything. Then again I don't really understand what most of them do..so I didn't want to change them.

Any ideas?
While playing a game, I would like the second screen to be used for internet, chat programs, ect. I know this game allows it, others have told me when they start the game it asks them on which screen they would like to play the game. I'm sure NVIDIA has a setting somewhere for this, but I can't seem to find it.

I have a GEFORCE 6800 XTreme with the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager installed.

I've gone through most of the setting and can't seem to find anything. Then again I don't really understand what most of them do..so I didn't want to change them.

Any ideas?

Posted 02/16/2008 12:33 AM   
I guess it's kind of a n00b question..maybe thats why no one is helping. But it would be mucho appreiciated.
I guess it's kind of a n00b question..maybe thats why no one is helping. But it would be mucho appreiciated.

Posted 02/17/2008 11:08 AM   
[quote name='Jimi' date='Feb 17 2008, 12:08 PM']I guess it's kind of a n00b question..maybe thats why no one is helping. But it would be mucho appreiciated.
[right][snapback]328359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Some games let you chose which monitor to play on.. GTA SA is an example.
Other games will go to your primary monitor.
you can change which monitor is the primary "default" monitor, if games are opening on the wrong window now.
You should also be able to drag everything els you have, (icons, messenger windows, excetera) to the other monitor.

Web pages should remember there last opend possition. folders should do the same, so once mooved there, they should remember hat they open there.

To move the task bar to the secondary monitor.
Right click it.
and then tick "Unlock the task bar". or un-tick "lock the task bar" check box. (what ever)
Then hold down left click on the center part of the task bar.
(not where the start button is. and not where the clock is, click on the bit inbetween them, where folders open.)
Then whilst still holding left click drag the task bar over to the other monitor..

It used to be that nvidia drivers did ask you which window do you want pop up messages to open on, But that dissapeared a long time ago.. last i saw of it was on either a geforce 4 mx, or a 5200.. (not so sure)
So i dont think you can do it any more... But maby some 1 els knows better...
[quote name='Jimi' date='Feb 17 2008, 12:08 PM']I guess it's kind of a n00b question..maybe thats why no one is helping. But it would be mucho appreiciated.

[snapback]328359[/snapback]

Some games let you chose which monitor to play on.. GTA SA is an example.

Other games will go to your primary monitor.

you can change which monitor is the primary "default" monitor, if games are opening on the wrong window now.

You should also be able to drag everything els you have, (icons, messenger windows, excetera) to the other monitor.

Web pages should remember there last opend possition. folders should do the same, so once mooved there, they should remember hat they open there.

To move the task bar to the secondary monitor.

Right click it.

and then tick "Unlock the task bar". or un-tick "lock the task bar" check box. (what ever)

Then hold down left click on the center part of the task bar.

(not where the start button is. and not where the clock is, click on the bit inbetween them, where folders open.)

Then whilst still holding left click drag the task bar over to the other monitor..

It used to be that nvidia drivers did ask you which window do you want pop up messages to open on, But that dissapeared a long time ago.. last i saw of it was on either a geforce 4 mx, or a 5200.. (not so sure)

So i dont think you can do it any more... But maby some 1 els knows better...

Posted 02/17/2008 12:24 PM   
ok, well that's exactly the game I'm talking about. GTA SA doesnt ask me which monitor I want it to open on. :">

All the other stuff you mentioned I did when I setup my PC. I just can't seem to figure out why I can't get games to open on the default monitor.
ok, well that's exactly the game I'm talking about. GTA SA doesnt ask me which monitor I want it to open on. :">

All the other stuff you mentioned I did when I setup my PC. I just can't seem to figure out why I can't get games to open on the default monitor.

Posted 02/18/2008 07:54 AM   
nothin' huh?
nothin' huh?

Posted 02/24/2008 10:44 AM   
So I know this is old but I'm gonna bump it anyway. Still can't figure it out. :(

edit: I guess I should also mention that when the game starts the second screen shuts off. If I turn it on it's just black..
So I know this is old but I'm gonna bump it anyway. Still can't figure it out. :(

edit: I guess I should also mention that when the game starts the second screen shuts off. If I turn it on it's just black..

Posted 06/10/2008 12:00 PM   
[quote name='Jimi' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:00 AM']So I know this is old but I'm gonna bump it anyway. Still can't figure it out.  :(

[right][snapback]391368[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Same Problem Here I want the other monitor for messaging and stuff and i wanna play my game on the other...I'm playing Flight Simulator X. The second i open it it goes full screen and the other monitor looks black...been googling for about an hour and nothing...

Nvida GeForce 8400gs 512mb (bfg tech)
Vista 32
2 gb ram 2 gb dual core prosessor.
[quote name='Jimi' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:00 AM']So I know this is old but I'm gonna bump it anyway. Still can't figure it out.  :(

[snapback]391368[/snapback]

Same Problem Here I want the other monitor for messaging and stuff and i wanna play my game on the other...I'm playing Flight Simulator X. The second i open it it goes full screen and the other monitor looks black...been googling for about an hour and nothing...

Vista 32

Posted 09/17/2008 03:10 AM   
It might be because you are running 2 monitors off of the same card. The card needs all the power it has to run games as they are resource hogs. Therefore the monitor shuts down to allow for extra processing power.

But I could be wrong to, never ran 2 monitors with only 1 card.
It might be because you are running 2 monitors off of the same card. The card needs all the power it has to run games as they are resource hogs. Therefore the monitor shuts down to allow for extra processing power.

But I could be wrong to, never ran 2 monitors with only 1 card.

Posted 09/17/2008 03:15 AM   
[quote name='SJCarline' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:10 PM']Same Problem Here I want the other monitor for messaging and stuff and i wanna play my game on the other...I'm playing Flight Simulator X. The second i open it it goes full screen and the other monitor looks black...been googling for about an hour and nothing...

Vista 32
[right][snapback]440905[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='SJCarline' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:10 PM']Same Problem Here I want the other monitor for messaging and stuff and i wanna play my game on the other...I'm playing Flight Simulator X. The second i open it it goes full screen and the other monitor looks black...been googling for about an hour and nothing...

Vista 32

[snapback]440905[/snapback]

Posted 09/17/2008 03:26 AM   
Scroll To Top