Dual Monitors With A Dell Docking Station
I have a new Dell D630 notebook computer and I wanted to run dual 24inch monitors while I am in the office. I have the Dell advanced port replicator (docking station) that gives me two video outputs. One is an analog VGA and the other is DVI. The video card in the laptop is the Quadro NVS 135M. Will this card support two monitors at 1920x1200? On the Nvidia web site it says the card will support two monitors but with digital support up to 1600x1200 and analog too 2048x1536.
I have a new Dell D630 notebook computer and I wanted to run dual 24inch monitors while I am in the office. I have the Dell advanced port replicator (docking station) that gives me two video outputs. One is an analog VGA and the other is DVI. The video card in the laptop is the Quadro NVS 135M. Will this card support two monitors at 1920x1200? On the Nvidia web site it says the card will support two monitors but with digital support up to 1600x1200 and analog too 2048x1536.

Posted 02/15/2008 02:48 PM   
the problem is... there are only two ways to do it.

the video card itself outputs TWO seperate signals (through two seperate ports)... or if you have something that seperates a single signal into two.

theoritically, you could have a device that outputs a special dual signal to something else that splits it. i highly doubt you have that. since that either does NOT exsist yet, or is very specialized/custom.

that port replicator probably only allows one signal, the double port only means that you can use a vga OR dvi, without needing an adapter.

here's the thing... you should be able to do dual screens ANYWAY. the BUILT-IN LCD and anything plugged into the port (even through a replicator).
the problem is... there are only two ways to do it.

the video card itself outputs TWO seperate signals (through two seperate ports)... or if you have something that seperates a single signal into two.

theoritically, you could have a device that outputs a special dual signal to something else that splits it. i highly doubt you have that. since that either does NOT exsist yet, or is very specialized/custom.

that port replicator probably only allows one signal, the double port only means that you can use a vga OR dvi, without needing an adapter.

here's the thing... you should be able to do dual screens ANYWAY. the BUILT-IN LCD and anything plugged into the port (even through a replicator).

Posted 02/16/2008 01:54 AM   
I have a similiar problem. I have a Dell Precision M65 laptop with a Dell docking station. Up until about a week ago if my laptop was off before connecting to the docking station when booted it would automatically go to my external monitor. My external monitor is a Dell 1905FP and I would never need to view the laptop monitor. But now when I boot up the display goes to the Dell 1905FP monitor but only until I log into the network. After that the signal does not go to the monitor and will not go until I lift the top on my laptop. Then the signal goes to the Dell 1905FP monitor. I have checked both the display settings and the NVidia properties but I don't see anything to indicate why this is happening. I also tried to install the latest drivers but it failed with the message that it could not find a suitable driver to upgrade. I have an NVidia Quadro FX 350M version 8.3.1.3 :">

John
I have a similiar problem. I have a Dell Precision M65 laptop with a Dell docking station. Up until about a week ago if my laptop was off before connecting to the docking station when booted it would automatically go to my external monitor. My external monitor is a Dell 1905FP and I would never need to view the laptop monitor. But now when I boot up the display goes to the Dell 1905FP monitor but only until I log into the network. After that the signal does not go to the monitor and will not go until I lift the top on my laptop. Then the signal goes to the Dell 1905FP monitor. I have checked both the display settings and the NVidia properties but I don't see anything to indicate why this is happening. I also tried to install the latest drivers but it failed with the message that it could not find a suitable driver to upgrade. I have an NVidia Quadro FX 350M version 8.3.1.3 :">

John

Posted 07/02/2008 12:59 PM   
Well, I'm able to connect two separate external monitors on a D630 over a Dell Advance Port Replicator by connecting one to the VGA and one to the DVI output. So I think the port replicator works differently from your assumption.

I'm not sure about the maximum resolution. I use two Dell 17in LCD monitors, each with a resolution of 1280×1024. That's a total resolutoin of 1560×1024, but of course it's split on two screens. I don't know what the maximum is.

[quote name='Goobers' date='Feb 15 2008, 05:54 PM']the problem is... there are only two ways to do it.

[right][snapback]327610[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, I'm able to connect two separate external monitors on a D630 over a Dell Advance Port Replicator by connecting one to the VGA and one to the DVI output. So I think the port replicator works differently from your assumption.

I'm not sure about the maximum resolution. I use two Dell 17in LCD monitors, each with a resolution of 1280×1024. That's a total resolutoin of 1560×1024, but of course it's split on two screens. I don't know what the maximum is.

[quote name='Goobers' date='Feb 15 2008, 05:54 PM']the problem is... there are only two ways to do it.

[snapback]327610[/snapback]

Posted 09/03/2008 04:39 PM   
[quote name='pdsegrest2' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:39 AM'][i]Well, I'm able to connect two separate external monitors on a D630 over a Dell Advance Port Replicator by connecting one to the VGA and one to the DVI output.  [/i][/quote]

This is exactly the info I've been looking for. Thanks.

One question: Is the monitor that you have hooked up via the DVI output a Digital monitor? Or is it a VGA monitor? (in other words, is the DVI output analog capable, also?)

Thanks for your help.
[quote name='pdsegrest2' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:39 AM']Well, I'm able to connect two separate external monitors on a D630 over a Dell Advance Port Replicator by connecting one to the VGA and one to the DVI output. 

This is exactly the info I've been looking for. Thanks.

One question: Is the monitor that you have hooked up via the DVI output a Digital monitor? Or is it a VGA monitor? (in other words, is the DVI output analog capable, also?)

Thanks for your help.

Posted 09/04/2008 04:01 PM   
Scroll To Top