GeForce Go 6100 Annoyances Hissing Noises and Prolonged Darkness
So I got a new laptop yesterday, so the first two days of using it have been transferring files and folders, and getting it ready for general use on the web.

When I got to using Windows Update (this is a Vista Machine btw) an optional update was availible for my GeForce Go 6100 card, I allowed it to install, and on reboot was greeted by a hissing noise when ever the screen went to full black, which is weird because this never happened before.

This now happens at boot, login, loggoff and whenever UAC appears my screen, the screen goes totally black (looks likes it's off) for 5 seconds whilst it makes the hissing noise, this has led me to diable UAP and all the notifications doing so creates.

It looks like Windows Update installed a lot of updates as far as the graphics driver is concerned, here is a list for those of you that are bothered...

[b]NVIDIA - system - nForce HyperTransport Bridge[/b]
Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2008 19:34
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Optional
Driver update provided by NVIDIA for support of nForce HyperTransport Bridge

[b]NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller[/b] (Six of these updates in total, all look identical from the Update History Window)
Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2008 19:35
Driver update provided by NVIDIA for support of nForce Memory Controller

[b]nVidia - Video - NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100[/b]
Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2008 19:41
nVidia Video software update released in November, 2007

[b]NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller[/b]
This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

So my question is this; is this hissing noise and extended blackness normal with this update? Can I or should I roll back to the previos drivers or is there an immediate patch or fix?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Tom

[b]Edit:[/b] Plenty of reboots, curse words and general guess work has led me to fix the problem before it has developed, it turns out it took a simple Display Driver roll back (which took the driver date back just a few months) to stop the darkness and hissing, perhaps I won't trust Vista Update as much in future when it gives me an [i]optional[/i] update...
So I got a new laptop yesterday, so the first two days of using it have been transferring files and folders, and getting it ready for general use on the web.

When I got to using Windows Update (this is a Vista Machine btw) an optional update was availible for my GeForce Go 6100 card, I allowed it to install, and on reboot was greeted by a hissing noise when ever the screen went to full black, which is weird because this never happened before.

This now happens at boot, login, loggoff and whenever UAC appears my screen, the screen goes totally black (looks likes it's off) for 5 seconds whilst it makes the hissing noise, this has led me to diable UAP and all the notifications doing so creates.

It looks like Windows Update installed a lot of updates as far as the graphics driver is concerned, here is a list for those of you that are bothered...

NVIDIA - system - nForce HyperTransport Bridge

Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2008 19:34

Driver update provided by NVIDIA for support of nForce HyperTransport Bridge

NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller (Six of these updates in total, all look identical from the Update History Window)

Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2008 19:35

Driver update provided by NVIDIA for support of nForce Memory Controller

nVidia - Video - NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

nVidia Video software update released in November, 2007

NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

So my question is this; is this hissing noise and extended blackness normal with this update? Can I or should I roll back to the previos drivers or is there an immediate patch or fix?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Edit: Plenty of reboots, curse words and general guess work has led me to fix the problem before it has developed, it turns out it took a simple Display Driver roll back (which took the driver date back just a few months) to stop the darkness and hissing, perhaps I won't trust Vista Update as much in future when it gives me an optional update...

Posted 02/01/2008 08:33 PM   
The exactly same happened to me. The update which is doing this; is the Geforce Go 6100.
I choose to install it, thinking it'll be better, with bug fixes and security settings, however this wasn't the case. Every time I wanted to open a application I had to wait about 10 seconds for the screen to come back, the hissing sound was terrible!

The way, I can only recommend to get it back is to use System Restore like I did.

Orb > (Type) System Restore > Follow onscreen instructions.

Note: Microsoft Updates will not make different system restore points for updates, so if you updated in bulk, then sadly it'll cancel those updates, however it's much better then a black screen!

Select the date and time when you install these updates and it should roll back, another way as you say is to rollback the driver, which I didn't think of.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted!
The exactly same happened to me. The update which is doing this; is the Geforce Go 6100.

I choose to install it, thinking it'll be better, with bug fixes and security settings, however this wasn't the case. Every time I wanted to open a application I had to wait about 10 seconds for the screen to come back, the hissing sound was terrible!

The way, I can only recommend to get it back is to use System Restore like I did.

Orb > (Type) System Restore > Follow onscreen instructions.

Note: Microsoft Updates will not make different system restore points for updates, so if you updated in bulk, then sadly it'll cancel those updates, however it's much better then a black screen!

Select the date and time when you install these updates and it should roll back, another way as you say is to rollback the driver, which I didn't think of.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted!

Posted 02/02/2008 10:24 AM   
Still happens even with Forceware 174.xx and 167.xx family!
See my other thread just opened: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=80508"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=80508[/url]

I'd like nVidia would finally fix this annoying bug, even if the gfx-card is old.

PS
To revert to old drivers you don't need the Restore point drastic solution. Just open 'Device manager', open GeForce GO 6100 branch tree, and click on the rollback-driver button in the Driver tab.
Still happens even with Forceware 174.xx and 167.xx family!

See my other thread just opened: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=80508

I'd like nVidia would finally fix this annoying bug, even if the gfx-card is old.

PS

To revert to old drivers you don't need the Restore point drastic solution. Just open 'Device manager', open GeForce GO 6100 branch tree, and click on the rollback-driver button in the Driver tab.

Posted 10/26/2008 05:20 PM   
well i found a kinda fix it may not work for u but try turning off nvidia scaling this fixed it for me but using this a low resolutions is annoying but hope it works good luck still (sorry for run on sentence)
[size=7][font="Arial Black"]nvidia plz fix[/font][/size] /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
well i found a kinda fix it may not work for u but try turning off nvidia scaling this fixed it for me but using this a low resolutions is annoying but hope it works good luck still (sorry for run on sentence)

nvidia plz fix /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 06/07/2009 08:41 PM   
[quote name='minijaws' post='549971' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:41 PM']well i found a kinda fix it may not work for u but try turning off nvidia scaling this fixed it for me but using this a low resolutions is annoying but hope it works good luck still (sorry for run on sentence)
[size=7][font="Arial Black"]nvidia plz fix[/font][/size] /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />[/quote]

Wow! Thanks so much for posting that you're fix worked for me!

Just to re-iterate you need to right-click your Windows desktop and hit up the NVidia control panel, choose the advance setting and under the Display tab hit up "Change flat panel scaling" and turn that setting off.

Again, thank you so much for posting that, my laptop doesn't seem to use the scaling (I will have to try dual screening to see if that effects it) but seriously - thanks!
[quote name='minijaws' post='549971' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:41 PM']well i found a kinda fix it may not work for u but try turning off nvidia scaling this fixed it for me but using this a low resolutions is annoying but hope it works good luck still (sorry for run on sentence)

nvidia plz fix /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Wow! Thanks so much for posting that you're fix worked for me!

Just to re-iterate you need to right-click your Windows desktop and hit up the NVidia control panel, choose the advance setting and under the Display tab hit up "Change flat panel scaling" and turn that setting off.

Again, thank you so much for posting that, my laptop doesn't seem to use the scaling (I will have to try dual screening to see if that effects it) but seriously - thanks!

Posted 06/07/2009 09:29 PM   
[quote name='tomchatting' post='549990' date='Jun 7 2009, 03:29 PM']Wow! Thanks so much for posting that you're fix worked for me!

Again, thank you so much for posting that, my laptop doesn't seem to use the scaling (I will have to try dual screening to see if that effects it) but seriously - thanks![/quote]

Thanks guys!! This worked great for me. Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialogs are now instantaneous.

While this is probably not the appropriate thread, I have had the exact same issue for 12+ months on my desktop using the 7950 GX2 - previously on vista x32 and now on Win7 x64. Oddly enough, I only had the issue (horribly slow UAC prompts) on Win7 [i]after[/i] I loaded the beta Win7 drivers from Nvidia. Even still, disabling scaling has corrected one of the most frustrating problems I've had to deal with ... and kinda shameful, I always assumed this was a vista problem... Thanks Nvidia, great drivers .... NOT
[quote name='tomchatting' post='549990' date='Jun 7 2009, 03:29 PM']Wow! Thanks so much for posting that you're fix worked for me!

Thanks guys!! This worked great for me. Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialogs are now instantaneous.

While this is probably not the appropriate thread, I have had the exact same issue for 12+ months on my desktop using the 7950 GX2 - previously on vista x32 and now on Win7 x64. Oddly enough, I only had the issue (horribly slow UAC prompts) on Win7 after I loaded the beta Win7 drivers from Nvidia. Even still, disabling scaling has corrected one of the most frustrating problems I've had to deal with ... and kinda shameful, I always assumed this was a vista problem... Thanks Nvidia, great drivers .... NOT

Posted 06/27/2009 06:19 PM   
This is actually an ongoing problem with literally [i]every single[/i] HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

Literally, every single DV6000 or DV9000 with a GeForce 6150 has this issue with any driver other than the [i]originally shipped[/i] driver.

Even an official driver update from HP will trigger the same UAC behavior. Every single user that has ever updated their 6150's graphics driver will experience unusably, frustratingly slow UAC prompts.

Why has nVidia never fixed this? :angry:

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling [b]and rebooting[/b], does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...
This is actually an ongoing problem with literally every single HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

Literally, every single DV6000 or DV9000 with a GeForce 6150 has this issue with any driver other than the originally shipped driver.

Even an official driver update from HP will trigger the same UAC behavior. Every single user that has ever updated their 6150's graphics driver will experience unusably, frustratingly slow UAC prompts.

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling and rebooting, does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...

Posted 08/31/2010 05:14 AM   
This is actually an ongoing problem with literally [i]every single[/i] HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

Literally, every single DV6000 or DV9000 with a GeForce 6150 has this issue with any driver other than the [i]originally shipped[/i] driver.

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling [b]and rebooting[/b], does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...
This is actually an ongoing problem with literally every single HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

Literally, every single DV6000 or DV9000 with a GeForce 6150 has this issue with any driver other than the originally shipped driver.

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling and rebooting, does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...

Posted 08/31/2010 05:14 AM   
[quote name='Falcon4' post='1110852' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM']This is actually an ongoing problem with literally [i]every single[/i] HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling [b]and rebooting[/b], does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...[/quote]

Probably because the 6 series is a very old product. Most resources are put on the latest product line. As the product line gets older, less and less resources will be allocated, it the nature of technology development and maintenance. In your case, you would be lucky to have anyone looking into 6 series bugs.
[quote name='Falcon4' post='1110852' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM']This is actually an ongoing problem with literally every single HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

Probably because the 6 series is a very old product. Most resources are put on the latest product line. As the product line gets older, less and less resources will be allocated, it the nature of technology development and maintenance. In your case, you would be lucky to have anyone looking into 6 series bugs.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 08/31/2010 03:49 PM   
[quote name='Falcon4' post='1110852' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM']This is actually an ongoing problem with literally [i]every single[/i] HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

edit: Yes, I realize this is a multi-year-old thread, but this is an ongoing multi-year problem, and what's already been said is still relevant today. It does not need another topic to address it, however it could use another post (my post... and your post) to bring it back to attention. I did, however, find that disabling panel scaling [b]and rebooting[/b], does fix the problem - however, as a clue to the bug, it also introduces a scrambled ("twisted", is a way to describe it, with the screen wrapped around like a screw, like the sync was lost, but a static image) picture for a split second as UAC comes and goes. I'm happy to know that disabling panel scaling (which is on by default) fixes the problem, however nVidia should still address the problem for the hundreds of thousands of DV-users still living with the problem (if their laptop is even still alive after the nVidia northbridge failure catastrophe)...[/quote]

[quote name='Falcon4' post='1110852' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM']This is actually an ongoing problem with literally every single HP DV6000 or DV9000 with an nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset - later DV6000/9000's used a 7xxx-series chipset that doesn't have this issue. However, it is very reproducible, very irritating, and I cannot comprehend why nVidia never caught this driver bug.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 08/31/2010 03:49 PM   
Scroll To Top