Fixed my PC Hangs w 8600GT PC freezes with 8600GT drivers
I see a bazillion posts here and on the web for [b]lock ups, freezes, and hangs [/b]with upscale nVidia graphics boards. I fixed mine and thought maybe someone could benefit from my experience. My PC would lock up every 1-3 minutes with an 8600GT graphics card installed. It would lock up in menus, Word, anything. Hardware reset reboot was the only option then.

I needed to upgrade my [b]eVGA 6800 [/b]graphics card I have been using for 2 years. I bought an [b]MSI 8600GT[/b], installed it, and spent 2 days trying to debug the hangs. I installed the latest nVidia drivers (nVidia VGA drivers 6 7 8 series 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit) several times. I did find IRQ conflicts with my SoundBlaster card and 8600GT, and fixed that easily enough. But the MSI 8600GT never worked so I sent it back for a refund.

I then bought an [b]XFX 8600GT [/b]and the same thing happened. When I deleted all the nVidia display drivers via control panel and prevented Window’s “found new hardware” from reloading them, the hangs went away but the raw video was poor.

I am not 100% sure how I fixed it. I did a couple things and then the hangs went away. One thing I did was download & reload the drivers for my SoundBlaster Audigy but I’m 95% sure I reloaded the ones already installed. I also installed RivaTuner 2.6 and ran it but I did not make any changes, just stared at the displays. The third thing I did probably fixed it.

I found an idea in the nVidia release notes on the 169 build (thanks XFX website). Way down in the text it said “AMD K7 and K8 CPUs freeze with these drivers”. The Microsoft fix says it’s for AGP mobos with K7 or K8 AMD CPUs. [b]None of the Microsoft fix criteria matches my PC. I tried it anyway and the problem went away.[/b]
For the record, it is [u][b]Microsoft Support Article ID: 270715 January 27, 2007[/b][/u]
"AGP program may hang when using page size extension". According to MS, “This behavior can occur if memory that is allocated by the video adapter driver is being corrupted.”

If this helps one person, it’s worth it to me. No guarantees.

[b]My configuration: [/b]
Mother board: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MS-7125 V3
CPU: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200
Memory: 2GB PC3200 DDR400
XFX 8600GT
Disks: Western Digital 200GB WD2000JS
Disks: Samsung HD501LJ
420watt PSU ATXB8KLW-BL
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Windows XP Home Edition with all service packs
Pioneer 16X DVD+RW/-RW
Sony dvd-rom DDU1615
ViewSonic G220fb
I see a bazillion posts here and on the web for lock ups, freezes, and hangs with upscale nVidia graphics boards. I fixed mine and thought maybe someone could benefit from my experience. My PC would lock up every 1-3 minutes with an 8600GT graphics card installed. It would lock up in menus, Word, anything. Hardware reset reboot was the only option then.

I needed to upgrade my eVGA 6800 graphics card I have been using for 2 years. I bought an MSI 8600GT, installed it, and spent 2 days trying to debug the hangs. I installed the latest nVidia drivers (nVidia VGA drivers 6 7 8 series 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit) several times. I did find IRQ conflicts with my SoundBlaster card and 8600GT, and fixed that easily enough. But the MSI 8600GT never worked so I sent it back for a refund.

I then bought an XFX 8600GT and the same thing happened. When I deleted all the nVidia display drivers via control panel and prevented Window’s “found new hardware” from reloading them, the hangs went away but the raw video was poor.

I am not 100% sure how I fixed it. I did a couple things and then the hangs went away. One thing I did was download & reload the drivers for my SoundBlaster Audigy but I’m 95% sure I reloaded the ones already installed. I also installed RivaTuner 2.6 and ran it but I did not make any changes, just stared at the displays. The third thing I did probably fixed it.

I found an idea in the nVidia release notes on the 169 build (thanks XFX website). Way down in the text it said “AMD K7 and K8 CPUs freeze with these drivers”. The Microsoft fix says it’s for AGP mobos with K7 or K8 AMD CPUs. None of the Microsoft fix criteria matches my PC. I tried it anyway and the problem went away.

For the record, it is Microsoft Support Article ID: 270715 January 27, 2007

"AGP program may hang when using page size extension". According to MS, “This behavior can occur if memory that is allocated by the video adapter driver is being corrupted.”

If this helps one person, it’s worth it to me. No guarantees.

My configuration:

Mother board: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MS-7125 V3

CPU: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200

Memory: 2GB PC3200 DDR400

XFX 8600GT

Disks: Western Digital 200GB WD2000JS

Disks: Samsung HD501LJ

420watt PSU ATXB8KLW-BL

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Windows XP Home Edition with all service packs

Pioneer 16X DVD+RW/-RW

Sony dvd-rom DDU1615

ViewSonic G220fb

Posted 01/26/2008 04:13 PM   
XFX is a great company since they have website support where you can send questions to a technical person. Here is there response to my problem

[DANIEL_E - 01/28/2008] We highly recommend Driver Cleaner, found at
[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745[/url] which will come in
handy for cleaning out traces of older graphics drivers. (Make sure you
have the latest drivers, from www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
downloaded to your desktop.) Download the program, install it, but don’t
run it until you’ve rebooted into Safe Mode (tap F8 during bootup) and
then choose “NVIDIA” as the cleaning selection. Run that 3 – 4 times, to
be thorough, and then you’ll reboot into normal Windows mode in order
to reinstall drivers.

This too may have been my problem if deleting old drivers is so hard to do.

Hope this helps.
XFX is a great company since they have website support where you can send questions to a technical person. Here is there response to my problem

[DANIEL_E - 01/28/2008] We highly recommend Driver Cleaner, found at

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745 which will come in

handy for cleaning out traces of older graphics drivers. (Make sure you

have the latest drivers, from www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

downloaded to your desktop.) Download the program, install it, but don’t

run it until you’ve rebooted into Safe Mode (tap F8 during bootup) and

then choose “NVIDIA” as the cleaning selection. Run that 3 – 4 times, to

be thorough, and then you’ll reboot into normal Windows mode in order

to reinstall drivers.

This too may have been my problem if deleting old drivers is so hard to do.

Hope this helps.

Posted 01/28/2008 07:00 PM   
Scroll To Top