Video card upgrade? Help please!
I have to admit before I go any further I am not very technical when it comes to computers, so bear with me. I registered on the forum because I have been unable to run call of duty 4 on my computer which is approximately 3 years old and I would appreciate if someone could advise me if it's possible to upgrade my video card to run the game successfully. I would be happy to spend £30 - £50, but I don't want to have to upgrade the whole computer just to run one game.

I own a fujitsu siemens computer with the following spec:

PENTIUM4 CPU 3.4 GHZ
512 RAM
GEFORCE FX 5500 VIDEO CARD

I have no idea what motherboard I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fletch

:blink: :blink:
I have to admit before I go any further I am not very technical when it comes to computers, so bear with me. I registered on the forum because I have been unable to run call of duty 4 on my computer which is approximately 3 years old and I would appreciate if someone could advise me if it's possible to upgrade my video card to run the game successfully. I would be happy to spend £30 - £50, but I don't want to have to upgrade the whole computer just to run one game.

PENTIUM4 CPU 3.4 GHZ

512 RAM

Fletch

:blink: :blink:

Posted 12/28/2007 09:36 PM   
[quote name='fletch43' date='Dec 28 2007, 02:36 PM']I have to admit before I go any further I am not very technical when it comes to computers, so bear with me. I registered on the forum because  I have been unable to run call of duty 4 on my computer which is approximately 3 years old and I would appreciate if someone could advise me if it's possible to upgrade my video card to run the game successfully. I would be happy to spend £30 - £50, but I don't want to have to upgrade the whole computer just to run one game.

PENTIUM4 CPU 3.4 GHZ
512 RAM

Fletch

:blink:  :blink:
[right][snapback]301269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would say that your machine will not run it because you just don’t have the Ram and maybe the video card. Call of duty four is a heavy duty game. It uses a lot of memory, CPU and you need a good GPU to run it. What does the box say about the system requirements?

Bob Ski
[quote name='fletch43' date='Dec 28 2007, 02:36 PM']I have to admit before I go any further I am not very technical when it comes to computers, so bear with me. I registered on the forum because  I have been unable to run call of duty 4 on my computer which is approximately 3 years old and I would appreciate if someone could advise me if it's possible to upgrade my video card to run the game successfully. I would be happy to spend £30 - £50, but I don't want to have to upgrade the whole computer just to run one game.

PENTIUM4 CPU 3.4 GHZ

512 RAM

Fletch

:blink:  :blink:

[snapback]301269[/snapback]

I would say that your machine will not run it because you just don’t have the Ram and maybe the video card. Call of duty four is a heavy duty game. It uses a lot of memory, CPU and you need a good GPU to run it. What does the box say about the system requirements?

Bob Ski

Posted 12/28/2007 09:47 PM   
The 5500 isn't a gaming card at all. If you want any chance at playing anything newer, you'll need a 7600GT/7800GS/7900GS. They may be a tad out of your price range but that's the price you have to pay for trying to keep a older system alive. You may have to upgrade your power supply as well.

Axis
The 5500 isn't a gaming card at all. If you want any chance at playing anything newer, you'll need a 7600GT/7800GS/7900GS. They may be a tad out of your price range but that's the price you have to pay for trying to keep a older system alive. You may have to upgrade your power supply as well.

Axis

[CPU] QX6700 @ 3.50ghz with TR Ultra 120 Extreme (XP Pro)
[MB] DFI LP LT X48
[GPU] MSI GTX260
[Mem] Corsair Dominators 2x2gig PC2 8500
[HDD] 3X Seagate SATA- 180, 250, and 320
[PSU] OCZ GamersXtreme GsxSli 600w
[Case] CoolerMaster CM690

Posted 12/28/2007 10:54 PM   
The box says I need a geforce 6600 or better, however I have seen other posts online that say this level of card gives disappointing performance. I am a part time gamer at best, not full on by any means, but I did enjoy the first couple of cod games so I would like to upgrade if possible. How do I know if I would need to upgrade the power supply, if for example I bought an upgraded card such as a 7600GT?

Fletch

:huh: :huh:
The box says I need a geforce 6600 or better, however I have seen other posts online that say this level of card gives disappointing performance. I am a part time gamer at best, not full on by any means, but I did enjoy the first couple of cod games so I would like to upgrade if possible. How do I know if I would need to upgrade the power supply, if for example I bought an upgraded card such as a 7600GT?

Fletch

:huh: :huh:

Posted 12/29/2007 12:17 AM   
[quote name='fletch43' date='Dec 28 2007, 07:17 PM']The box says I need a geforce 6600 or better, however I have seen other posts online that say this level of card gives disappointing  performance.  I am a part time gamer at best, not full on by any means, but I did enjoy the first couple of cod games so I would like to upgrade if possible. How do I know if I would need to upgrade the power supply, if for example I bought an upgraded card such as a 7600GT?

Fletch

:huh:  :huh:
[right][snapback]301364[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Look at the side of your PSU and read the sticker. Post what it says for total wattage and the +12v rails. If there's more than one+12v rail, post both and their amperage. If you could give us a brand and model of the PSU, we could look it up to see everthing.

Axis
[quote name='fletch43' date='Dec 28 2007, 07:17 PM']The box says I need a geforce 6600 or better, however I have seen other posts online that say this level of card gives disappointing  performance.  I am a part time gamer at best, not full on by any means, but I did enjoy the first couple of cod games so I would like to upgrade if possible. How do I know if I would need to upgrade the power supply, if for example I bought an upgraded card such as a 7600GT?

Fletch

:huh:  :huh:

[snapback]301364[/snapback]

Look at the side of your PSU and read the sticker. Post what it says for total wattage and the +12v rails. If there's more than one+12v rail, post both and their amperage. If you could give us a brand and model of the PSU, we could look it up to see everthing.

Axis

[MB] DFI LP LT X48
[GPU] MSI GTX260

Posted 12/29/2007 02:11 AM   
Please confirm whether your system has AGP or PCIe. That is crucial to deciding which card to get.
Please confirm whether your system has AGP or PCIe. That is crucial to deciding which card to get.

Posted 12/29/2007 02:42 AM   
My system spec describes the power supply unit as PS2 up to 350 w. Sorry I don't know if I have AGP OR PCI, how can I tell?
My system spec describes the power supply unit as PS2 up to 350 w. Sorry I don't know if I have AGP OR PCI, how can I tell?

Posted 01/01/2008 09:25 PM   
Google with the model number of your PC. Must be specifications somewhere. And I'm not asking about PCI but PCIe.
Google with the model number of your PC. Must be specifications somewhere. And I'm not asking about PCI but PCIe.

Posted 01/01/2008 10:57 PM   
Found this on Manufacturers website:

VGA
Discreet PCI Express x16
AGP 8 X
PCI

DOES THAT HELP?
Found this on Manufacturers website:

VGA

Discreet PCI Express x16

AGP 8 X

PCI

DOES THAT HELP?

Posted 01/02/2008 12:14 AM   
[quote name='fletch43' date='Jan 1 2008, 07:14 PM']Found this on Manufacturers website:

VGA
Discreet          PCI Express x16
                      AGP 8 X
                      PCI

DOES THAT HELP?
[right][snapback]303349[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What is the make and model number for the motherboard.

Axis
[quote name='fletch43' date='Jan 1 2008, 07:14 PM']Found this on Manufacturers website:

VGA

Discreet          PCI Express x16

AGP 8 X

PCI

DOES THAT HELP?

[snapback]303349[/snapback]

What is the make and model number for the motherboard.

Axis

[MB] DFI LP LT X48
[GPU] MSI GTX260

Posted 01/02/2008 06:22 AM   
I can't see any model number on the motherboard.
Could someone please make an educated guess on what is the best I can hope to upgrade to video card wise based on the limited information I can provide.
If it turns out to be no good I will put it up on ebay and forget the whole thing.

Fletch
I can't see any model number on the motherboard.

Could someone please make an educated guess on what is the best I can hope to upgrade to video card wise based on the limited information I can provide.

If it turns out to be no good I will put it up on ebay and forget the whole thing.

Fletch

Posted 01/02/2008 05:15 PM   
[quote name='fletch43' date='Jan 2 2008, 12:15 PM']I can't see any model number on the motherboard.

Fletch
[right][snapback]303707[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's the problem, we don't know what slot your motherboard uses. AFAIK, there is only ONE motherboard that has both AGP and PCIE X16 and it's a AsusRock motherboard. If yours isn't a Asusrock, we have no idea what card to suggest.

If the computer is up and running, download Everest home from softpedia. It's free so no worries there. Open it up and click on the motherboard tab and see what it says.

Axis
[quote name='fletch43' date='Jan 2 2008, 12:15 PM']I can't see any model number on the motherboard.

Fletch

[snapback]303707[/snapback]

That's the problem, we don't know what slot your motherboard uses. AFAIK, there is only ONE motherboard that has both AGP and PCIE X16 and it's a AsusRock motherboard. If yours isn't a Asusrock, we have no idea what card to suggest.

If the computer is up and running, download Everest home from softpedia. It's free so no worries there. Open it up and click on the motherboard tab and see what it says.

Axis

[MB] DFI LP LT X48
[GPU] MSI GTX260

Posted 01/02/2008 08:06 PM   
Thanks Axis, I downloaded Everest as per your advise with the following results:

Motherboard ID 09/17/2004-i848P-6A79XG08C-00

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8I848PM

I have found the secondhand video card listed below for sale at a reasonable price, could someone please tell me if it would be compatible with the above motherboard.

NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB Graphics Card (AGP)

Many thanks

Fletch
Thanks Axis, I downloaded Everest as per your advise with the following results:

Motherboard ID 09/17/2004-i848P-6A79XG08C-00

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8I848PM

I have found the secondhand video card listed below for sale at a reasonable price, could someone please tell me if it would be compatible with the above motherboard.

NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB Graphics Card (AGP)

Many thanks

Fletch

Posted 01/02/2008 08:56 PM   
Scroll To Top