CoD4:MW MP Keeps Crashing
  1 / 2    
CoD4:MW Multiplayer keeps crashing ever since i got it its been crashing. it crashes after about 2 maps i can play the game fine for 2 rounds but in the 3rd round mid way it will just crash donno y. does anyone know how to solve this. i hope Activision/IW will release a patch that fixes this i hope in 1.4.
CoD4:MW Multiplayer keeps crashing ever since i got it its been crashing. it crashes after about 2 maps i can play the game fine for 2 rounds but in the 3rd round mid way it will just crash donno y. does anyone know how to solve this. i hope Activision/IW will release a patch that fixes this i hope in 1.4.

Posted 12/12/2007 03:58 PM   
[quote name='badboychris' date='Dec 12 2007, 11:58 AM']CoD4:MW Multiplayer keeps crashing ever since i got it its been crashing. it crashes after about 2 maps i can play the game fine for 2 rounds but in the 3rd round mid way it will just crash donno y. does anyone know how to solve this. i hope Activision/IW will release a patch that fixes this i hope in 1.4.
[right][snapback]293351[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
having the same problem (as a LOT of folks are if you check any of the cod4 forums available online)....tried new nvidia drivers, no help, found a couple of posts that suggested punkbuster might be the culprit so i disabled it in game and joined servers that did not use it, low and behold just played 8 maps and no crashey! looks like i'll be playin' with no pb for awhile! the last time it crashed i did finally get a 'popup' that said 'nvidia drivers quit responding', then hit ctrl alt del and managed to pull up taskmanager, showed game still running, nothing else, noted 'cpu usage' spiked at 50% at the time, had to hard boot from there, checked 'event viewer', nothing out of ordinary. temps at the time of crash were mid 80's (F)

system:

cpu- intel core 2 2.93
mobo- asus p5n-e-sli
gpu's- nvidia 8800 gts 320mb X2
ram- kingston 1066 mhz 2 gig
sound- xi-fi soundblaster gamer
monsoon tec 2 cooling sys.
psu-850W power pro
os- win xp pro 32 bit
[quote name='badboychris' date='Dec 12 2007, 11:58 AM']CoD4:MW Multiplayer keeps crashing ever since i got it its been crashing. it crashes after about 2 maps i can play the game fine for 2 rounds but in the 3rd round mid way it will just crash donno y. does anyone know how to solve this. i hope Activision/IW will release a patch that fixes this i hope in 1.4.

[snapback]293351[/snapback]

having the same problem (as a LOT of folks are if you check any of the cod4 forums available online)....tried new nvidia drivers, no help, found a couple of posts that suggested punkbuster might be the culprit so i disabled it in game and joined servers that did not use it, low and behold just played 8 maps and no crashey! looks like i'll be playin' with no pb for awhile! the last time it crashed i did finally get a 'popup' that said 'nvidia drivers quit responding', then hit ctrl alt del and managed to pull up taskmanager, showed game still running, nothing else, noted 'cpu usage' spiked at 50% at the time, had to hard boot from there, checked 'event viewer', nothing out of ordinary. temps at the time of crash were mid 80's (F)

system:

cpu- intel core 2 2.93

mobo- asus p5n-e-sli

psu-850W power pro

os- win xp pro 32 bit

Posted 12/19/2007 03:39 AM   
update........disabling pb and playing pb free servers no help! played about an hour today then same freeze/soundloop then had to hard reboot....any answers anybody?
update........disabling pb and playing pb free servers no help! played about an hour today then same freeze/soundloop then had to hard reboot....any answers anybody?

Posted 12/19/2007 10:19 PM   
update the sound driver probably? or try to turn the sound off if you havent updated the driver?

:D
update the sound driver probably? or try to turn the sound off if you havent updated the driver?

:D

Posted 12/20/2007 04:58 AM   
OK I have found the fix for this and it works for everyone.

The reason this is happening is because Punkbuster services are disconnecting your internet due to old MotherBoard and Ethernet Drivers.

Fix:

Download latest motherboard drivers and install

If you have a separate Ethernet card download latest drivers for this and install.

Happy Gaming

Brought to you by Total Assault Gaming "The best place for CoD4 ladder battles" www.tagaming.com
OK I have found the fix for this and it works for everyone.

The reason this is happening is because Punkbuster services are disconnecting your internet due to old MotherBoard and Ethernet Drivers.

Fix:

Download latest motherboard drivers and install

If you have a separate Ethernet card download latest drivers for this and install.

Happy Gaming

Brought to you by Total Assault Gaming "The best place for CoD4 ladder battles" www.tagaming.com

Posted 12/20/2007 01:46 PM   
yeah just found that myself and was about to post it here, updated mobo last nite but only had about 30 mins to play had to go to bed, had a good 30 mins tho, will give it a real workout this afternoon after work and will post results here......thanks for your replys satr and belial!
yeah just found that myself and was about to post it here, updated mobo last nite but only had about 30 mins to play had to go to bed, had a good 30 mins tho, will give it a real workout this afternoon after work and will post results here......thanks for your replys satr and belial!

Posted 12/20/2007 02:41 PM   
well played for about an hour and it froze and got sound loop, had to do hard reboot, same problem, had updated mobo and onboard ethernet drivers did not help.....had already loaded new sound card drivers, last 2 times it froze up i found this error message in event log at the exact time of freeze.

source: nv

category: none

type: error

event i.d. 14

description: unknown error on CMDre

in doing a google search on 'unknown error on CMDre' it seems people with the 8800 cards are getting this same error event with lockups in various games. haven't found anyone with a solution to it other than to return the card to manufacturer.
well played for about an hour and it froze and got sound loop, had to do hard reboot, same problem, had updated mobo and onboard ethernet drivers did not help.....had already loaded new sound card drivers, last 2 times it froze up i found this error message in event log at the exact time of freeze.

source: nv

category: none

type: error

event i.d. 14

description: unknown error on CMDre

in doing a google search on 'unknown error on CMDre' it seems people with the 8800 cards are getting this same error event with lockups in various games. haven't found anyone with a solution to it other than to return the card to manufacturer.

Posted 12/21/2007 03:48 AM   
ok here goes. I have a Toshiba Qosmio with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 v83.28

I can run SP just fine. As a matter a fact I beat the game several times over already.

My problem is once I enter MP, join a server, and pick a side. Everything starts flickering like crazy, but not until I actually pick a side.

HELP?!@
ok here goes. I have a Toshiba Qosmio with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 v83.28

I can run SP just fine. As a matter a fact I beat the game several times over already.

My problem is once I enter MP, join a server, and pick a side. Everything starts flickering like crazy, but not until I actually pick a side.

HELP?!@

Posted 12/28/2007 01:22 AM   
I ve had the same problem for about a month. It would randomly lock up during mp and sp. I was running the alpha dog 8800gt and a biostar board. I tried everything, various nvidia drivers, mb dirvers, with and w/o onboard sound, bios update, abour 4 fresh xp installs. I finally freaked out and RMA'd the card and board for a galaxy 8800gt and the m2n-e board.
I ve had the same problem for about a month. It would randomly lock up during mp and sp. I was running the alpha dog 8800gt and a biostar board. I tried everything, various nvidia drivers, mb dirvers, with and w/o onboard sound, bios update, abour 4 fresh xp installs. I finally freaked out and RMA'd the card and board for a galaxy 8800gt and the m2n-e board.

Posted 12/31/2007 04:02 AM   
Same problem here too. My system (brand new) has very similar components: 8800gt, asus p5n-e-sli. xi-fi soundblaster, monsoon tec 2 cooling sys, but on Vista.

I'll be playing COD4 and get random lockups, where screen freezes, and if it happens to have been playing a sound, it keeps looping it. I'll also get a computer freeze sometimes while I'm doing non-game activities (like browsing) and a couple times it has frozen when I wasn't at the computer (screensaver on). I don't get the error you get though.

Not sure how to fix or what to do.

[quote name='opraider' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:39 PM']having the same problem (as a LOT of folks are if you check any of the cod4 forums available online)....tried new nvidia drivers, no help, found a couple of posts that suggested punkbuster might be the culprit so i disabled it in game and joined servers that did not use it, low and behold just played 8 maps and no crashey! looks like i'll be playin' with no pb for awhile! the last time it crashed i did finally get a 'popup' that said 'nvidia drivers quit responding', then hit ctrl alt del and managed to pull up taskmanager, showed game still running, nothing else, noted 'cpu usage' spiked at 50% at the time, had to hard boot from there, checked 'event viewer', nothing out of ordinary. temps at the time of crash were mid 80's (F)

system:

cpu- intel core 2 2.93
mobo- asus p5n-e-sli
psu-850W power pro
os- win xp pro 32 bit
[right][snapback]296725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Same problem here too. My system (brand new) has very similar components: 8800gt, asus p5n-e-sli. xi-fi soundblaster, monsoon tec 2 cooling sys, but on Vista.

I'll be playing COD4 and get random lockups, where screen freezes, and if it happens to have been playing a sound, it keeps looping it. I'll also get a computer freeze sometimes while I'm doing non-game activities (like browsing) and a couple times it has frozen when I wasn't at the computer (screensaver on). I don't get the error you get though.

Not sure how to fix or what to do.

[quote name='opraider' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:39 PM']having the same problem (as a LOT of folks are if you check any of the cod4 forums available online)....tried new nvidia drivers, no help, found a couple of posts that suggested punkbuster might be the culprit so i disabled it in game and joined servers that did not use it, low and behold just played 8 maps and no crashey! looks like i'll be playin' with no pb for awhile! the last time it crashed i did finally get a 'popup' that said 'nvidia drivers quit responding', then hit ctrl alt del and managed to pull up taskmanager, showed game still running, nothing else, noted 'cpu usage' spiked at 50% at the time, had to hard boot from there, checked 'event viewer', nothing out of ordinary. temps at the time of crash were mid 80's (F)

system:

cpu- intel core 2 2.93

mobo- asus p5n-e-sli

psu-850W power pro

os- win xp pro 32 bit

[snapback]296725[/snapback]

Posted 12/31/2007 07:37 AM   
multiplayer keeps crashing for me too! after about 15 mins of play i get iw3mp.exe has stopped working... ive done everything possible! ive updated everything - motherboard, graphics card, sound drivers, wireless Adapter Drivers EVERYTHING!

Ive updated punkbuster to latest version and updated CoD4 PB. ive even installed all the patches one after the other. Im running the game in "Run as Administrator" aswell! ive checked the vista Problems page in control panel and it says in about 6 / 12 crashes an nvidia driver ( nvd3dum.dll ) is the fault, all the other times it says that iw3mp.exe is the fault. Im now trying the game in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 2, will get back to you if i find a fix for it, although if anyone else has found a solution please tell!

Thanks

**Edit** - Its a brand new PC build aswell!

oh and its not an overheating problem as ive checked temps and there all fine! and i can also play crysis at high / very high for hours - no problems!

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
2GB Corsair DDR2 6400 @ 4 4 4 12 2.1V
Asus 8800GT
Asus P5N E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI E Onboard Audio ATX Motherboard
Seagate 250GB Sata II Harddrive
Pioneer DVD RW Sata II
Vista Premium 32bit

Note: Nothing has been overclocked
multiplayer keeps crashing for me too! after about 15 mins of play i get iw3mp.exe has stopped working... ive done everything possible! ive updated everything - motherboard, graphics card, sound drivers, wireless Adapter Drivers EVERYTHING!

Ive updated punkbuster to latest version and updated CoD4 PB. ive even installed all the patches one after the other. Im running the game in "Run as Administrator" aswell! ive checked the vista Problems page in control panel and it says in about 6 / 12 crashes an nvidia driver ( nvd3dum.dll ) is the fault, all the other times it says that iw3mp.exe is the fault. Im now trying the game in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 2, will get back to you if i find a fix for it, although if anyone else has found a solution please tell!

Thanks

**Edit** - Its a brand new PC build aswell!

oh and its not an overheating problem as ive checked temps and there all fine! and i can also play crysis at high / very high for hours - no problems!

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

2GB Corsair DDR2 6400 @ 4 4 4 12 2.1V

Asus 8800GT

Asus P5N E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI E Onboard Audio ATX Motherboard

Seagate 250GB Sata II Harddrive

Pioneer DVD RW Sata II

Vista Premium 32bit

Note: Nothing has been overclocked

Posted 01/06/2008 04:04 PM   
I seem to have fixed my random crashing! I Changed my RAM from dual channel (both yellow slots) to single channel (1 yellow and 1 black) and now i havent had any crashes yet and ive just played it for 2 hours straight! oh and having RAM in single channel doesnt effect your FPS either as far as i can see!

make sure your RAM is at the correct voltage and timings aswell!

Edit:

Quote from Wikipedia about dual channel vs single channel:

[quote]

Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks (using a "modern" system setup).[2] Generally speaking, dual channel configuration is a very minor upgrade, and without other system tweaks, the difference may not even be noticeable. While there is no reason not to use dual-channel over single-channel, where all other things are equal, the question often comes up whether it is advisable to add additional RAM if doing so will break dual-channel compatibility. Having more total RAM available is generally more beneficial than maintaining dual-channel configuration.

[/quote]
I seem to have fixed my random crashing! I Changed my RAM from dual channel (both yellow slots) to single channel (1 yellow and 1 black) and now i havent had any crashes yet and ive just played it for 2 hours straight! oh and having RAM in single channel doesnt effect your FPS either as far as i can see!

Edit:

Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks (using a "modern" system setup).[2] Generally speaking, dual channel configuration is a very minor upgrade, and without other system tweaks, the difference may not even be noticeable. While there is no reason not to use dual-channel over single-channel, where all other things are equal, the question often comes up whether it is advisable to add additional RAM if doing so will break dual-channel compatibility. Having more total RAM available is generally more beneficial than maintaining dual-channel configuration.

Posted 01/06/2008 06:58 PM   
Punkbuster is more than likely the cause of this problem. It causes a memory leak somehow on many machines.

[url="http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=10824.0"]http://www.infinityward.com/community/foru...p?topic=10824.0[/url]

Try playing in non-PB servers and see if you still get the freeze/crash. If you don't, join the club. We have been waiting for a fix since COD4 was released. BTW: It's not just COD4 that is affected by this. Any game that uses Punkbuster has the issue with tons of people that try to play them.
Punkbuster is more than likely the cause of this problem. It causes a memory leak somehow on many machines.

http://www.infinityward.com/community/foru...p?topic=10824.0

Try playing in non-PB servers and see if you still get the freeze/crash. If you don't, join the club. We have been waiting for a fix since COD4 was released. BTW: It's not just COD4 that is affected by this. Any game that uses Punkbuster has the issue with tons of people that try to play them.

Posted 02/06/2008 04:18 AM   
[quote name='Elipium' date='Jan 6 2008, 02:58 PM']I seem to have fixed my random crashing! I Changed my RAM from dual channel (both yellow slots) to single channel (1 yellow and 1 black) and now i havent had any crashes yet and ive just played it for 2 hours straight! oh and having RAM in single channel doesnt effect your FPS either as far as i can see!

Edit:

[right][snapback]305899[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ditto. I changed from dual channel to single channel a few weeks ago and same thing- no more crashes or lock ups.
[quote name='Elipium' date='Jan 6 2008, 02:58 PM']I seem to have fixed my random crashing! I Changed my RAM from dual channel (both yellow slots) to single channel (1 yellow and 1 black) and now i havent had any crashes yet and ive just played it for 2 hours straight! oh and having RAM in single channel doesnt effect your FPS either as far as i can see!

Edit:

[snapback]305899[/snapback]

Ditto. I changed from dual channel to single channel a few weeks ago and same thing- no more crashes or lock ups.

Posted 02/06/2008 05:23 AM   
[quote name='Synozeer' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:23 PM']Ditto. I changed from dual channel to single channel a few weeks ago and same thing- no more crashes or lock ups.
[right][snapback]321397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's the hardware way. I think there must be a way to solve this by software.
[quote name='Synozeer' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:23 PM']Ditto. I changed from dual channel to single channel a few weeks ago and same thing- no more crashes or lock ups.

[snapback]321397[/snapback]

That's the hardware way. I think there must be a way to solve this by software.

Posted 02/10/2008 04:30 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top