Geoforce 8300 GS and 2 Monitors
I have a Dell 531 on the way, and it apparently has a 8300 GS card. I would like to know if this card supports dual monitors. I've searched all over Nvidia's site to no avail. Dell was no help either.

Does anyone know if I can run 2 monitors off this one card?

Thanks in advance.

John
I have a Dell 531 on the way, and it apparently has a 8300 GS card. I would like to know if this card supports dual monitors. I've searched all over Nvidia's site to no avail. Dell was no help either.

Does anyone know if I can run 2 monitors off this one card?

Thanks in advance.

John

Posted 10/31/2007 06:16 PM   
look on the back of your case, and look if you have 2 monitor slots, will either me Blue (vga) or White (DVI-i) if it has 2 you can run 2 monitors off it, how ever, if it is onboard (i.e next too all your audio sockets and usbs) then i doubt you can run 2 monitors. If in doubt post a pic of the back of the case on the forum
look on the back of your case, and look if you have 2 monitor slots, will either me Blue (vga) or White (DVI-i) if it has 2 you can run 2 monitors off it, how ever, if it is onboard (i.e next too all your audio sockets and usbs) then i doubt you can run 2 monitors. If in doubt post a pic of the back of the case on the forum

Posted 10/31/2007 08:03 PM   
[quote name='craigbeck' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:03 PM']look on the back of your case, and look if you have 2 monitor slots, will either me Blue (vga) or White (DVI-i) if it has 2 you can run 2 monitors off it, how ever, if it is onboard (i.e next too all your audio sockets and usbs) then i doubt you can run 2 monitors. If in doubt post a pic of the back of the case on the forum
[right][snapback]273028[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks Craig. It appears the card has a VGA connection and a DVI connection. However, I did not think that necessarily meant it had dual monitor support. BTW: The computer also has an integrated video card, but from what I've read, I can't hook 1 monitor up to the PCIe card, and another to the integrated connection. I think once I hook up to the installed card, the integrated card does not work. Therefore, I will need to run both off the single card, or install a second card. (Which I am trying to avoid)

Thanks again. Any more info would be appreciated.
[quote name='craigbeck' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:03 PM']look on the back of your case, and look if you have 2 monitor slots, will either me Blue (vga) or White (DVI-i) if it has 2 you can run 2 monitors off it, how ever, if it is onboard (i.e next too all your audio sockets and usbs) then i doubt you can run 2 monitors. If in doubt post a pic of the back of the case on the forum

[snapback]273028[/snapback]

Thanks Craig. It appears the card has a VGA connection and a DVI connection. However, I did not think that necessarily meant it had dual monitor support. BTW: The computer also has an integrated video card, but from what I've read, I can't hook 1 monitor up to the PCIe card, and another to the integrated connection. I think once I hook up to the installed card, the integrated card does not work. Therefore, I will need to run both off the single card, or install a second card. (Which I am trying to avoid)

Thanks again. Any more info would be appreciated.

Posted 10/31/2007 08:21 PM   
Try running them both off a single card

This is a modern gfx card, i should imagine that it will support dual monitors, best bet, plug in another monitor and upgrade the drivers of the gfx card. IF you need a dvi to vga covertor, ebay is always cheap, or borrow 1 from a friend just for testing. What have you got to loose.
Try running them both off a single card

This is a modern gfx card, i should imagine that it will support dual monitors, best bet, plug in another monitor and upgrade the drivers of the gfx card. IF you need a dvi to vga covertor, ebay is always cheap, or borrow 1 from a friend just for testing. What have you got to loose.

Posted 10/31/2007 08:26 PM   
[quote name='craigbeck' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:26 PM']Try running them both off a single card

[right][snapback]273044[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have lots of time to lose!

I, too, am wondering whether my card supports dual monitors. Where the heck is the documentation? I am barely finding any mention of this card on the web, let alone documentation. It came with my Dell XPS 410, which had no printed documentation either.

I'm running Linux, where figuring out how to set up two monitors is enough trial-and-error effort that I'd like to first determine whether it's even possible with this card. Thanks in advance.
[quote name='craigbeck' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:26 PM']Try running them both off a single card

[snapback]273044[/snapback]

I have lots of time to lose!

I, too, am wondering whether my card supports dual monitors. Where the heck is the documentation? I am barely finding any mention of this card on the web, let alone documentation. It came with my Dell XPS 410, which had no printed documentation either.

I'm running Linux, where figuring out how to set up two monitors is enough trial-and-error effort that I'd like to first determine whether it's even possible with this card. Thanks in advance.

Posted 12/18/2007 05:47 PM   

[right][snapback]273044[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I finally got them both running off this card. Thanks for the ebay suggestion - got an adaptor real cheap. Would have been even cheaper if I had ordered a DVI-I the first time instead of a DVI-D.

[snapback]273044[/snapback]

I finally got them both running off this card. Thanks for the ebay suggestion - got an adaptor real cheap. Would have been even cheaper if I had ordered a DVI-I the first time instead of a DVI-D.

Posted 12/18/2007 09:03 PM   
The 128M [b]nVidia GeForce 8300GS Video Card[/b] came standard on the DELL VOSTRO 400 Model that our business purchased in 2008. On the back, there is:

___1___(a) One VGA connection
___1___(b) One DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog) connector

The nVidia GeForce 8300GS DVI-I connector accepts male DVI-I connectors or male DVI-D (digital only) connectors (see Wiki below).

(For more info on DVI, see [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface)[/url]
According to the DVI wiki, DVI has different connector types (5 listed!)
- DVI-D (digital only)
- DVI-A (analog only)
- DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog)
- DVI-M1-DA (integrated, digital, analog & USB)
- DVI-DL (dual link)

To hook up dual headed monitors to the nVidia GeForce 8300GS Video Card you can either:

[A] Attach one monitor with the VGA connector, then one monitor with the DVI (I or D) connector.
--or--
[B] Attach one monitor with the VGA connector, then second VGA monitor to the DVI connector, with a simple "DVI to VGA connector", these cost like $2-$3 online or in any electronics or computer store.
--or--
[C] Obtain a DVI-I or D to 2-VGA splitter cable. Attach this cable to the DVI connector on the Video Card, then connect your VGA monitors to the splitter cable. Your computer mfg might sell this. We have one from Dell, with a part number of 310-4469. It is almost impossible to find on the Dell site unless you know what you are looking for. Remember there are 5 types of DVI connectors, and the one that is compatible with this card is DVI-I or DVI-D for the male connector portion.

THE KEY TO THE WHOLE THING IS: After attaching monitors, goto "Display Properties" under Control Panels (Windows), and click on the "Settings" TAB. Then, select Display: 2. Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GEForce 8300 GS, and CLICK SELECT the box for "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". Further you can click Advanced to see the NVIDIA Control Panel for further Dual Monitor setup choices.

IN CONCLUSION, YOUR VIDEO CARD ALREADY SUPPORTS DUAL MONITORS, BUT YOU MUST HOOK THEM UP AS ILLUSTRATED ABOVE AND ENGAGE THE "EXTEND MY WINDOWS" SELECTION...

Good Luck!

[size=1]Notes:
For [C] above, DELL ACCESSORIES WEBSITE for obtaining a Y-Splitter Cable compatible with the NVIDIA GEForce 8300 GS:
[DELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE ACCESSORY ITEM, DELL PART NUMBER: 310-4469, MFG PART NUMBER: Y2501]
[url="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=310-4469"]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=310-4469[/url]
Note for above link:
{please note that the website listing for the cable splitter above is NOT spam, any Splitter Cable can be purchased from any vendor or retailer.}[/size]
The 128M nVidia GeForce 8300GS Video Card came standard on the DELL VOSTRO 400 Model that our business purchased in 2008. On the back, there is:

___1___(a) One VGA connection

___1___(b) One DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog) connector

The nVidia GeForce 8300GS DVI-I connector accepts male DVI-I connectors or male DVI-D (digital only) connectors (see Wiki below).

(For more info on DVI, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface)

According to the DVI wiki, DVI has different connector types (5 listed!)

- DVI-D (digital only)

- DVI-A (analog only)

- DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog)

- DVI-M1-DA (integrated, digital, analog & USB)

- DVI-DL (dual link)

To hook up dual headed monitors to the nVidia GeForce 8300GS Video Card you can either:

[A] Attach one monitor with the VGA connector, then one monitor with the DVI (I or D) connector.

--or--

[B] Attach one monitor with the VGA connector, then second VGA monitor to the DVI connector, with a simple "DVI to VGA connector", these cost like $2-$3 online or in any electronics or computer store.

--or--

[C] Obtain a DVI-I or D to 2-VGA splitter cable. Attach this cable to the DVI connector on the Video Card, then connect your VGA monitors to the splitter cable. Your computer mfg might sell this. We have one from Dell, with a part number of 310-4469. It is almost impossible to find on the Dell site unless you know what you are looking for. Remember there are 5 types of DVI connectors, and the one that is compatible with this card is DVI-I or DVI-D for the male connector portion.

THE KEY TO THE WHOLE THING IS: After attaching monitors, goto "Display Properties" under Control Panels (Windows), and click on the "Settings" TAB. Then, select Display: 2. Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GEForce 8300 GS, and CLICK SELECT the box for "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". Further you can click Advanced to see the NVIDIA Control Panel for further Dual Monitor setup choices.

IN CONCLUSION, YOUR VIDEO CARD ALREADY SUPPORTS DUAL MONITORS, BUT YOU MUST HOOK THEM UP AS ILLUSTRATED ABOVE AND ENGAGE THE "EXTEND MY WINDOWS" SELECTION...

Good Luck!

Notes:

For [C] above, DELL ACCESSORIES WEBSITE for obtaining a Y-Splitter Cable compatible with the NVIDIA GEForce 8300 GS:

[DELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE ACCESSORY ITEM, DELL PART NUMBER: 310-4469, MFG PART NUMBER: Y2501]

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=310-4469

Note for above link:

{please note that the website listing for the cable splitter above is NOT spam, any Splitter Cable can be purchased from any vendor or retailer.}

Posted 08/27/2009 12:33 AM   
Hi

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am having some difficulty running two monitors from a GeForce 8300 GS on a HP box running Windows Vista 32 bit.

The displays are both Acer 223W LCD monitors and both work fine as external displays connected via VGA (the only input).

I have them set up so one runs from the VGA input (the primary monitor) and the second is connected via the cards second port (DVI) and a DVI to VGA cable. I have tried DVI-D and DVI-I cables as well as a VGA cable with a DVI adapter. When I attach the second monitor and boot up, the second monitor goes into stand by mode after a no signal message. When I go into the Nvidia control panel, it recognises that there are 2 monitors attached and lets me choose to extend my desktop and alter settings from the control panel but no signal comes through on the second monitor.

I have tried rebooting numerous times and updating the drivers for the card and screens with no joy.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mike
Hi

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am having some difficulty running two monitors from a GeForce 8300 GS on a HP box running Windows Vista 32 bit.

The displays are both Acer 223W LCD monitors and both work fine as external displays connected via VGA (the only input).

I have them set up so one runs from the VGA input (the primary monitor) and the second is connected via the cards second port (DVI) and a DVI to VGA cable. I have tried DVI-D and DVI-I cables as well as a VGA cable with a DVI adapter. When I attach the second monitor and boot up, the second monitor goes into stand by mode after a no signal message. When I go into the Nvidia control panel, it recognises that there are 2 monitors attached and lets me choose to extend my desktop and alter settings from the control panel but no signal comes through on the second monitor.

I have tried rebooting numerous times and updating the drivers for the card and screens with no joy.

Mike

Posted 06/09/2010 04:29 PM   
[quote name='mikerw' post='1070808' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:29 PM']Hi

Mike[/quote]

Hey,

I recently got a second 19'' LCD monitor and I hooked it up by using an DVI-VGA adapter. I got an Acer Aspire m1600-AE7I that has the Nvdia 8300 GS.
According to the sites I've searched including nvdia the card should allow dual screens. I hooked it up , updates drivers and my system does recognize the second screen.
Just like mikerw. Nvdia does recognize the monitor and I am able to change settings but nothing works including the extend windows function.
I hope someone can help us with this problem.

~Yooth
[quote name='mikerw' post='1070808' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:29 PM']Hi

Mike

Hey,

I recently got a second 19'' LCD monitor and I hooked it up by using an DVI-VGA adapter. I got an Acer Aspire m1600-AE7I that has the Nvdia 8300 GS.

According to the sites I've searched including nvdia the card should allow dual screens. I hooked it up , updates drivers and my system does recognize the second screen.

Just like mikerw. Nvdia does recognize the monitor and I am able to change settings but nothing works including the extend windows function.

I hope someone can help us with this problem.

~Yooth

Posted 06/23/2010 02:00 PM   
Hey,

After trying everything that I thought would help I finally got it solved.
The drivers 257 or smth do not work with dual monitor.
I downloaded older drivers and it works perfectly fine now.

~
Hey,

~

Posted 06/25/2010 05:43 PM   
[quote name='Yooth' post='1077987' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:43 PM']Hey,

~[/quote]

Can you inform me of which driver you have? And where you found it? I am trying to get my card support two monitors.

thanks

~

Can you inform me of which driver you have? And where you found it? I am trying to get my card support two monitors.

thanks

Posted 10/03/2010 12:20 PM   

~[/quote]

thanks

~

thanks

Posted 10/03/2010 12:20 PM   
Sorry for bumping this old thread but I am having the same problem now. Using a Nvidia GeForce 8400. Monitors I used are an analog Philips one and a digital HP one.
Connected the HP one to the DVI-D port on my computer below the USB ports and the Philips one to the DVI-I port which is right next to the HDMI port, where the graphic card is at, via a VGA to DVI-I adapter. Both monitors work fine separately and it seems to only allow signal through one port at a time, which means they cant power up simultaneously, not even at boot up.
My main monitor is the HP one on the DVI-D port. Tried the edit registry method, plugging it in and out, forced detection and using different drivers but there's still no signal on my second monitor.
Maybe its a bios setting? There are PCI, intergrated and PCIe for the primary adapter. Which do I choose?
I think I've gone through every solution I can find. From what I read, this card can support dual monitors. Will it work if I replaced one of them with HDMI instead? Using a Compaq SR5485CF. It does not have a direct VGA port on it but has a DVI-D and DVI-I port which comes from the graphic card.
Thanks!
Gib.
Sorry for bumping this old thread but I am having the same problem now. Using a Nvidia GeForce 8400. Monitors I used are an analog Philips one and a digital HP one.

Connected the HP one to the DVI-D port on my computer below the USB ports and the Philips one to the DVI-I port which is right next to the HDMI port, where the graphic card is at, via a VGA to DVI-I adapter. Both monitors work fine separately and it seems to only allow signal through one port at a time, which means they cant power up simultaneously, not even at boot up.

My main monitor is the HP one on the DVI-D port. Tried the edit registry method, plugging it in and out, forced detection and using different drivers but there's still no signal on my second monitor.

Maybe its a bios setting? There are PCI, intergrated and PCIe for the primary adapter. Which do I choose?

I think I've gone through every solution I can find. From what I read, this card can support dual monitors. Will it work if I replaced one of them with HDMI instead? Using a Compaq SR5485CF. It does not have a direct VGA port on it but has a DVI-D and DVI-I port which comes from the graphic card.

Thanks!

Gib.

Posted 12/15/2011 05:00 PM   
Alright i feel very stupid right now. I just realised there's a VGA port beside the DVI port which is bloody covered and screwed tight with a label that says do not remove. Anyway its working now!
Alright i feel very stupid right now. I just realised there's a VGA port beside the DVI port which is bloody covered and screwed tight with a label that says do not remove. Anyway its working now!

Posted 12/15/2011 05:18 PM   
Scroll To Top