NVIDIA 8800GTX and Steam games Freezing / stuttering issues
Hello,

I recently built my new PC, and attempted to run CS source. The game started, so I did a video stress test on near max settings and received a framerate of 180fps. So I decided to try the game, however when I joined a server massive stuttering ensues.

Then I tried to install HL2, HL2DM, and HL2 Lost Coast. HL2 Lost Coast told me that my processor was too slow, however I know this cannot be the case because it's a Intel Core2 Quad. After attempting to start the game, it freezes on loadup as does HL2.

So exasperated I put in Elder Scrolls Oblivion and tried it on near max settings (only thing I didn't max was AA it's at 4 instead of 8 I believe), and the game runs perfectly. I'm attributing all of this lag to Steam not knowing how to handle either Quad Cores, Windows Vista or both.

My specs:

24in monitor (running at 1900 x 1200)
4 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.3ghz
MSI NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768MB
EVGA 680i Motherboard
WD Raptor (150GB (this is where all games install)) and WD Caviar (500GB)
Creative Fatality Xi-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Sound Card
Latest drivers
Hello,

I recently built my new PC, and attempted to run CS source. The game started, so I did a video stress test on near max settings and received a framerate of 180fps. So I decided to try the game, however when I joined a server massive stuttering ensues.

Then I tried to install HL2, HL2DM, and HL2 Lost Coast. HL2 Lost Coast told me that my processor was too slow, however I know this cannot be the case because it's a Intel Core2 Quad. After attempting to start the game, it freezes on loadup as does HL2.

So exasperated I put in Elder Scrolls Oblivion and tried it on near max settings (only thing I didn't max was AA it's at 4 instead of 8 I believe), and the game runs perfectly. I'm attributing all of this lag to Steam not knowing how to handle either Quad Cores, Windows Vista or both.

My specs:

24in monitor (running at 1900 x 1200)

4 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM

Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.3ghz

MSI NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768MB

EVGA 680i Motherboard

WD Raptor (150GB (this is where all games install)) and WD Caviar (500GB)

Creative Fatality Xi-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Sound Card

Latest drivers

Posted 10/15/2007 04:33 PM   
You should check in your bios and make sure your processor is running at the right speed, i've read posts from other people on several forums saying that the 680i tends to underclock the core 2 quads /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> . That could possibly be your problem and check to see if your cores are enabled also make sure your game supports it that could also be an issue. Stuttering or shuddering could also be caused by your vertical sync being disabled that being disabled allows you to see what frames your computer can really bring your games to but it does cause graphical issues, so you can also enable that if there's that option.

And you could also go into your nvidia control panel and look through things there in your advanced settings.
You should check in your bios and make sure your processor is running at the right speed, i've read posts from other people on several forums saying that the 680i tends to underclock the core 2 quads /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> . That could possibly be your problem and check to see if your cores are enabled also make sure your game supports it that could also be an issue. Stuttering or shuddering could also be caused by your vertical sync being disabled that being disabled allows you to see what frames your computer can really bring your games to but it does cause graphical issues, so you can also enable that if there's that option.

And you could also go into your nvidia control panel and look through things there in your advanced settings.

Posted 10/15/2007 09:58 PM   
Thank you very much, I think it was the VSync that was messing with things.
Thank you very much, I think it was the VSync that was messing with things.

Posted 10/15/2007 10:36 PM   
V. Sync is not going to cause this issue(the freezing part). Got all the hotfixes for Vista? Size of your PSU(12v rails plz)? BIOS updated to latest?
V. Sync is not going to cause this issue(the freezing part). Got all the hotfixes for Vista? Size of your PSU(12v rails plz)? BIOS updated to latest?

Posted 10/15/2007 10:54 PM   
I also have the same issues with CS:Source. My wait for VSync is off and my frames are way up there and don't drop, but still is so choppy it is unplayable. Steam blames Nvidia, I blame both. Please get together and get this fixed we pay you both a lot of money for your products and they should work.

800 GTS 640MB, Windows Vista 64 Bit.
I also have the same issues with CS:Source. My wait for VSync is off and my frames are way up there and don't drop, but still is so choppy it is unplayable. Steam blames Nvidia, I blame both. Please get together and get this fixed we pay you both a lot of money for your products and they should work.

800 GTS 640MB, Windows Vista 64 Bit.

Posted 10/20/2007 04:18 PM   
Wow, look like I'm not the only one. It's Source and Crysis that have this problem for me!
Wow, look like I'm not the only one. It's Source and Crysis that have this problem for me!

Posted 10/24/2007 08:44 AM   
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.3ghz? That's strange. I suppose you have Q6600 which it's stock clock speed is 2.40ghz..!
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.3ghz? That's strange. I suppose you have Q6600 which it's stock clock speed is 2.40ghz..!

Posted 10/24/2007 09:11 AM   
[quote name='ceedot' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:44 AM']Wow, look like I'm not the only one. It's Source and Crysis that have this problem for me!
[right][snapback]269216[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah I meant 2.4ghz.
[quote name='ceedot' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:44 AM']Wow, look like I'm not the only one. It's Source and Crysis that have this problem for me!

[snapback]269216[/snapback]

Yeah I meant 2.4ghz.

Posted 10/25/2007 04:10 PM   
Windows XP or Vista?
Windows XP or Vista?

AMD 64x2 6400 Dual-Core black addition. (OC'd)
NFORCE 6MA Motherboard
4 x 1024mb DDR2 crucial 800Mhz.
Antec 900 Gaming Case.
700watt crossfish PSU.
BFG 9800 GTX+ (OC'd)
WD Raptor 74GB 10K HD
WD Barracuda 80 GB.

Posted 10/26/2007 01:37 PM   
wat drivers are u running want wat OS are u running. i have no probs with any source games.
wat drivers are u running want wat OS are u running. i have no probs with any source games.

Posted 10/26/2007 02:21 PM   
Scroll To Top