failed to lock vertex buffer error
Hi guys. I need a little help, if possible.

So I havent played anything involving steam from sometime. I open steam, and im told that I have to update my 7800gtx drivers. I go and do that. Now, when I open cs source, it crashes. I get this error.

"Failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDx8 :Lock Vertex Buffer:

Sometimes it says hardware failure, and shuts down my computer. What can I do, or a better question, what the hell is wrong since the driver update.
Hi guys. I need a little help, if possible.

So I havent played anything involving steam from sometime. I open steam, and im told that I have to update my 7800gtx drivers. I go and do that. Now, when I open cs source, it crashes. I get this error.

Sometimes it says hardware failure, and shuts down my computer. What can I do, or a better question, what the hell is wrong since the driver update.

Posted 10/10/2007 04:14 PM   
I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a GeForce 7300 GT and now I can't play any steam games! I either get hard reboots or this error message. :(

On a side note, I'm using the newest beta drivers (163.44) because the current driver didn't support my Acer monitor's native resolution so it would pan left and right. Drove me nuts.

[b]-edit-[/b]

Um ok it happened and I rebooted and now my display is at 800 x 600 4 bit color. When I try and change the resolution I get the message "the currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows."

I'm reinstalling the drivers...I just want to play steam games and have my display work normally??

[quote name='tonytwotime' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:14 AM']Hi guys. I need a little help, if possible.

[right][snapback]263003[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a GeForce 7300 GT and now I can't play any steam games! I either get hard reboots or this error message. :(

On a side note, I'm using the newest beta drivers (163.44) because the current driver didn't support my Acer monitor's native resolution so it would pan left and right. Drove me nuts.

-edit-

Um ok it happened and I rebooted and now my display is at 800 x 600 4 bit color. When I try and change the resolution I get the message "the currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows."

I'm reinstalling the drivers...I just want to play steam games and have my display work normally??

[quote name='tonytwotime' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:14 AM']Hi guys. I need a little help, if possible.

[snapback]263003[/snapback]

Posted 10/19/2007 04:42 AM   
um yeah. I reinstalled and now I'm getting the same message. Not only that, my compaq monitor can only be set to 800 x 600 and my acer monitor is currently set to -1 by -1 pixels!

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 18 2007, 08:42 PM']I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a GeForce 7300 GT and now I can't play any steam games! I either get hard reboots or this error message. :(

[b]-edit-[/b]

[right][snapback]266778[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
um yeah. I reinstalled and now I'm getting the same message. Not only that, my compaq monitor can only be set to 800 x 600 and my acer monitor is currently set to -1 by -1 pixels!

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 18 2007, 08:42 PM']I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a GeForce 7300 GT and now I can't play any steam games! I either get hard reboots or this error message. :(

-edit-

[snapback]266778[/snapback]

Posted 10/19/2007 05:09 AM   
Just another update.
I'm running an acer x221w and tried installing drivers for it but it didn't help. The drivers say they're for vista but are actually for xp too, but didn't work (it still pans left and right).
Reinstalling the nvidia drivers from the install disk made my screen all scrambled on the acer and blank on the other one. I VNC'd into the computer and the acer was correctly set to 1680 by 1050 32 bit, but the other monitor was set to 4 bit. Changing the color quality to 32 bit on the other monitor set both monitors normal again.

Now I'm running the old drivers which pan the acer widescreen when I move the mouse left and right. This is very aggrivating! The screen pans and steam games hard reboot with the old nvidia drivers, and steam games give me that vertex buffer error with the new drivers. Please help!

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 18 2007, 09:09 PM']um yeah. I reinstalled and now I'm getting the same message. Not only that, my compaq monitor can only be set to 800 x 600 and my acer monitor is currently set to -1 by -1 pixels!
[right][snapback]266792[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Just another update.

I'm running an acer x221w and tried installing drivers for it but it didn't help. The drivers say they're for vista but are actually for xp too, but didn't work (it still pans left and right).

Reinstalling the nvidia drivers from the install disk made my screen all scrambled on the acer and blank on the other one. I VNC'd into the computer and the acer was correctly set to 1680 by 1050 32 bit, but the other monitor was set to 4 bit. Changing the color quality to 32 bit on the other monitor set both monitors normal again.

Now I'm running the old drivers which pan the acer widescreen when I move the mouse left and right. This is very aggrivating! The screen pans and steam games hard reboot with the old nvidia drivers, and steam games give me that vertex buffer error with the new drivers. Please help!

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 18 2007, 09:09 PM']um yeah. I reinstalled and now I'm getting the same message. Not only that, my compaq monitor can only be set to 800 x 600 and my acer monitor is currently set to -1 by -1 pixels!

[snapback]266792[/snapback]

Posted 10/19/2007 03:05 PM   
Ok final update, I updated the driver to 163.71 and everything seems to be working fine now, including steam. :)

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:05 AM']Just another update.

[right][snapback]266976[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ok final update, I updated the driver to 163.71 and everything seems to be working fine now, including steam. :)

[quote name='jordan314' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:05 AM']Just another update.

[snapback]266976[/snapback]

Posted 10/19/2007 05:24 PM   
Scroll To Top