nVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
I have an Acer desktop with a GeForce 6100 + nForce 405 mobo. Currently, it has a 250W PSU installed and I want to upgrade it to a 500W PSU.

Can anyone tell me if a 500W PSU is too strong for an nForce 405 mobo?

If it is, what is the maximum output a PSU can have to work with an nForce 405?

Thanks...
I have an Acer desktop with a GeForce 6100 + nForce 405 mobo. Currently, it has a 250W PSU installed and I want to upgrade it to a 500W PSU.

Can anyone tell me if a 500W PSU is too strong for an nForce 405 mobo?

If it is, what is the maximum output a PSU can have to work with an nForce 405?

Thanks...

Posted 09/21/2007 11:59 PM   
There is no such thing as a PSU too strong for a mobo, only legacy connectors that might not match. I don't think that will be an issue, but let's look at the motivation to upgrade your PSU first:

Are you trying to upgrade your PSU so you can install a better video card? If that's the case, I wonder if what equipment has been running on 250w will do whatever upgrade you have planned justice.

What I'm trying to say is - without asking your specs - if you have a 250w PSU, you probably have a (very) legacy system that needs to be given away to grandma. Upgrading to 500 PSU will only give you options to bottleneck.

I don't mean to be condescending, but I just don't want you to upgrade a rig that probably needs to be donated to charity.
There is no such thing as a PSU too strong for a mobo, only legacy connectors that might not match. I don't think that will be an issue, but let's look at the motivation to upgrade your PSU first:

Are you trying to upgrade your PSU so you can install a better video card? If that's the case, I wonder if what equipment has been running on 250w will do whatever upgrade you have planned justice.

What I'm trying to say is - without asking your specs - if you have a 250w PSU, you probably have a (very) legacy system that needs to be given away to grandma. Upgrading to 500 PSU will only give you options to bottleneck.

I don't mean to be condescending, but I just don't want you to upgrade a rig that probably needs to be donated to charity.

Posted 09/22/2007 12:32 AM   
My system specs are:

[quote]AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2.75 GB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 6100 (onboard) + nForce 450
250W PSU
[/quote]

I want to upgrade from the GeForce 6100 to a GeForce 8400 GS.

Also, I just bought the desktop about a month ago so I hope it isn't "completely" outdated 'already'...
My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

2.75 GB RAM

nVIDIA GeForce 6100 (onboard) + nForce 450

250W PSU

I want to upgrade from the GeForce 6100 to a GeForce 8400 GS.

Also, I just bought the desktop about a month ago so I hope it isn't "completely" outdated 'already'...

Posted 09/22/2007 01:05 AM   
You're system will still be fine for some time to come.The ADD-ONS you want will pack in a big difference.
You're system will still be fine for some time to come.The ADD-ONS you want will pack in a big difference.

Posted 09/23/2007 01:38 PM   
Scroll To Top