EN8500GT 512 PCI-E - Extreme overheating Overheating issue
I recently bought the EN8500GT 512 PCI-E SILENT (Asus) and I'm quite happy with my dual monitor installation.

Thought I must admit that I have a real overheating problem with this card (no overclocking at all):

Normal temp. in X (Linux - Xfce, with the last 100.14.11 driver) is about 77° C !
A short try with Bzflag game made me cautiously exit at 101° C...

Now, it obviously is a case cooling issue with this particular GC (case opened with a huge desktop fan makes the temp going down to 41° C), but my first question is:

What is the point about buying a SILENT card, wit a supposed efficient passive cooling system, if I have to install it in a very expensive and noisy case?

Second question: should I wait for a new driver?

Thanks for any pointers.

gv
I recently bought the EN8500GT 512 PCI-E SILENT (Asus) and I'm quite happy with my dual monitor installation.

Thought I must admit that I have a real overheating problem with this card (no overclocking at all):

Normal temp. in X (Linux - Xfce, with the last 100.14.11 driver) is about 77° C !

A short try with Bzflag game made me cautiously exit at 101° C...

Now, it obviously is a case cooling issue with this particular GC (case opened with a huge desktop fan makes the temp going down to 41° C), but my first question is:

What is the point about buying a SILENT card, wit a supposed efficient passive cooling system, if I have to install it in a very expensive and noisy case?

Second question: should I wait for a new driver?

Thanks for any pointers.

gv

Posted 09/12/2007 01:15 PM   
So... why DID you buy a silent card if you have a very expensive and noisy case?

You can try to buy a PCI slot cooler to get some more air circulating near your card. Or, if you're still in the RMA period, you can return your card for one that actually cools since, as you say, what's the bl00dy point of having a silent card when the rest of your computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

**EDIT: Deleted suggestion to manually set fan speed; removed because card doesn't have fan.

Cheers,

d
So... why DID you buy a silent card if you have a very expensive and noisy case?

You can try to buy a PCI slot cooler to get some more air circulating near your card. Or, if you're still in the RMA period, you can return your card for one that actually cools since, as you say, what's the bl00dy point of having a silent card when the rest of your computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

**EDIT: Deleted suggestion to manually set fan speed; removed because card doesn't have fan.

Cheers,

d

Posted 09/12/2007 02:19 PM   
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 06:19 AM']So...  why DID you buy a silent card if you have a very expensive and noisy case?

(...) as you say, what's the bl00dy point of having a silent card when the rest of your computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

[right][snapback]250032[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, the problem is I do NOT have such a case :blink: (...[i]if I have to install it in[/i]...) What I have is a very silent PSU in a silent case. Well, to be complete, I now have a very silent and hot case. B)

Best,

gv
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 06:19 AM']So...  why DID you buy a silent card if you have a very expensive and noisy case?

(...) as you say, what's the bl00dy point of having a silent card when the rest of your computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

[snapback]250032[/snapback]

Well, the problem is I do NOT have such a case :blink: (...if I have to install it in...) What I have is a very silent PSU in a silent case. Well, to be complete, I now have a very silent and hot case. B)

Best,

gv

Posted 09/12/2007 03:28 PM   
I see what you're saying. Why get a passive video card if you need lots of case fans to cool it?

It's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to. Can you still return the card?
I see what you're saying. Why get a passive video card if you need lots of case fans to cool it?

It's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to. Can you still return the card?

Posted 09/12/2007 05:31 PM   
do you have a good airflow?
because once i had an asus 6200TC 256mb passive cooling.
I suppose the asus heatsink isn't too big.
only thing you can/must do is to make sure you have a good airflow.
:)
do you have a good airflow?

Posted 09/12/2007 05:53 PM   
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:31 AM']I see what you're saying.  Why get a passive video card if you need lots of case fans to cool it?[right][snapback]250134[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Couldn't say it better. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:31 AM']It's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to.  Can you still return the card?
[right][snapback]250134[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nope.

Cheers,

gv
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:31 AM']I see what you're saying.  Why get a passive video card if you need lots of case fans to cool it?
[snapback]250134[/snapback]

Couldn't say it better. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:31 AM']It's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to.  Can you still return the card?

[snapback]250134[/snapback]

Nope.

Cheers,

gv

Posted 09/12/2007 08:02 PM   
Error - sorry
Error - sorry

Posted 09/12/2007 08:04 PM   
[quote name='ehrenn' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:53 AM']do you have a good airflow?
[right][snapback]250143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're right, it's an airflow problem... but to flow air I need fans and fans are noisy... no.gif When I buy a SILENT card, i buy some silence, not multiple fans noise...

Cheers,

gv
[quote name='ehrenn' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:53 AM']do you have a good airflow?

[snapback]250143[/snapback]

You're right, it's an airflow problem... but to flow air I need fans and fans are noisy... no.gif When I buy a SILENT card, i buy some silence, not multiple fans noise...

Cheers,

gv

Posted 09/12/2007 08:06 PM   
Some fans are not as noisy as others. You just have to look around. You can even throw in some sound dampening to decrease the noise even more. Alot of fan noise is eliminated just by turning the speed down just a tad.

It's a give and take situation. You take away all the noise...you get heat. You throw in tons of fans and you lose the heat but now have noise.

Oh yea... When going for the least amount of noise you can deal with, remember that cable managment is instrumental in maximizing airflow with less than average fans and/or fanspeed.
Some fans are not as noisy as others. You just have to look around. You can even throw in some sound dampening to decrease the noise even more. Alot of fan noise is eliminated just by turning the speed down just a tad.

It's a give and take situation. You take away all the noise...you get heat. You throw in tons of fans and you lose the heat but now have noise.

Oh yea... When going for the least amount of noise you can deal with, remember that cable managment is instrumental in maximizing airflow with less than average fans and/or fanspeed.

Posted 09/12/2007 09:08 PM   
[quote name='SmilesLikeJoker' date='Sep 12 2007, 01:08 PM'](...)
It's a give and take situation.  You take away all the noise...you get heat.  You throw in tons of fans and you lose the heat but now have noise.
[right][snapback]250252[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, of course... but my question remains unanswered:

Why the hell buy a SILENT card if I must make noise to cool it? No more a silent card, rather a graphic card without fan... no exactly the same thing. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

As fot the rest, it's ok, sure, cable management, etc.

Thanks for answering,

gv
[quote name='SmilesLikeJoker' date='Sep 12 2007, 01:08 PM'](...)

It's a give and take situation.  You take away all the noise...you get heat.  You throw in tons of fans and you lose the heat but now have noise.

[snapback]250252[/snapback]

Yeah, of course... but my question remains unanswered:

Why the hell buy a SILENT card if I must make noise to cool it? No more a silent card, rather a graphic card without fan... no exactly the same thing. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

As fot the rest, it's ok, sure, cable management, etc.

Thanks for answering,

gv

Posted 09/12/2007 09:25 PM   
Scroll To Top