Desktop does not fit on my HDTV Screen... HDTV Desktop doesn't fit
  1 / 2    
Hello Everyone,

I am sure there have probably been tons of posts on this issue already but I must not be searching properly b/c I have only found one and it did not post a solution.

SPECS

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a GeForce 6800GT card. I have connected the PC to my 42" Samsung LCD TV using a DVI to HDMI coverter cable. I have downloaded and installed the latest Forceware drivers (version 162.22). I have also downloaded and installed all of the Windows Updates for the card as well.

ISSUE

The desktop does not properly scale to the size of the TV, no matter what resolution I set the screen to. I can only see a fraction of the taskbar and start button and only a piece of the 1st row of icons on the desktop.

I have tried using the 'Resize HDTV Desktop' option from the NVidia Control Panel but it does nothing at all for me.

Is there a resolution to this issue??? It is the one thing that is keeping me from fully enjoying having my PC connected to my TV. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

Curtis
Hello Everyone,

I am sure there have probably been tons of posts on this issue already but I must not be searching properly b/c I have only found one and it did not post a solution.

SPECS

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a GeForce 6800GT card. I have connected the PC to my 42" Samsung LCD TV using a DVI to HDMI coverter cable. I have downloaded and installed the latest Forceware drivers (version 162.22). I have also downloaded and installed all of the Windows Updates for the card as well.

ISSUE

The desktop does not properly scale to the size of the TV, no matter what resolution I set the screen to. I can only see a fraction of the taskbar and start button and only a piece of the 1st row of icons on the desktop.

I have tried using the 'Resize HDTV Desktop' option from the NVidia Control Panel but it does nothing at all for me.

Is there a resolution to this issue??? It is the one thing that is keeping me from fully enjoying having my PC connected to my TV. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

Curtis

Posted 09/04/2007 05:04 PM   
I am having this problem also.

My setup is a 7300 under linux drivers 100.14.11.

DVI-to-HDMI cable connected to HDTV doesn't fit the screen.

Can we get a fix for this? There are no screen adjustment options in the nVIDIA X Server Settings.

Thanks.
I am having this problem also.

My setup is a 7300 under linux drivers 100.14.11.

DVI-to-HDMI cable connected to HDTV doesn't fit the screen.

Can we get a fix for this? There are no screen adjustment options in the nVIDIA X Server Settings.

Thanks.

Posted 09/05/2007 12:25 PM   
I have a 9800 and I have the same issue, worked fine with my 8800 this is a driver issue 100% because without nvidias driver it scales properly. This issue has been in forums for at least 3 months and still no solution so im an actions speak louder then words type of person, so by nvidias actions or lack of action to fix a simple driver issue, I will send this card back and by an ati card.

You guys had my 100% devotion but I cant handle paying for something that you dont care to fix, especially when its not even a hardware issue, but faulty drivers.
I have a 9800 and I have the same issue, worked fine with my 8800 this is a driver issue 100% because without nvidias driver it scales properly. This issue has been in forums for at least 3 months and still no solution so im an actions speak louder then words type of person, so by nvidias actions or lack of action to fix a simple driver issue, I will send this card back and by an ati card.

You guys had my 100% devotion but I cant handle paying for something that you dont care to fix, especially when its not even a hardware issue, but faulty drivers.

Posted 10/23/2009 05:13 PM   
Well I see this topic is pretty old but I didn't see a resolution here and I was having this problem and just found a fix for it so thought I'd post it just for future reference.

I don't know if it works in all cases but a lot HDTVs by default are set to "overscan" which is one thing that can cause the issues you're having. You need to go into your tv's settings, usually under the advanced video settings and turn off the option that says 'overscan' that should fix the problem.
Well I see this topic is pretty old but I didn't see a resolution here and I was having this problem and just found a fix for it so thought I'd post it just for future reference.

I don't know if it works in all cases but a lot HDTVs by default are set to "overscan" which is one thing that can cause the issues you're having. You need to go into your tv's settings, usually under the advanced video settings and turn off the option that says 'overscan' that should fix the problem.

Posted 02/10/2010 09:32 PM   
That works fine if your TV/monitor has the option to switch overscan off, but mine and many others do not....

I'm running a GTS250 card with the latest Beta driver (v196.34) as I was contacted by my screen manufacturer's support service with instructions to deal with overscan BUT the Nvidia control panel doesn't appear as in the tech doc they've sent me!

The doc shows a 'video and television' tab, whereas mine is just video (my screen is correctly IDd as connected by HDMI!) but there should be a resize desktop option under this tab which is seperate to the one under 'display' which just reduces your resolution......
That works fine if your TV/monitor has the option to switch overscan off, but mine and many others do not....

I'm running a GTS250 card with the latest Beta driver (v196.34) as I was contacted by my screen manufacturer's support service with instructions to deal with overscan BUT the Nvidia control panel doesn't appear as in the tech doc they've sent me!

The doc shows a 'video and television' tab, whereas mine is just video (my screen is correctly IDd as connected by HDMI!) but there should be a resize desktop option under this tab which is seperate to the one under 'display' which just reduces your resolution......

Posted 02/11/2010 01:55 PM   
Overscan compensation reduces the resolution. Your TV manufacturer is just sending you an out-dated guide. The location of the Resize Desktop settings have changed.

Amorphous

[quote name='Adrian E' post='999357' date='Feb 11 2010, 05:55 AM']That works fine if your TV/monitor has the option to switch overscan off, but mine and many others do not....

The doc shows a 'video and television' tab, whereas mine is just video (my screen is correctly IDd as connected by HDMI!) but there should be a resize desktop option under this tab which is seperate to the one under 'display' which just reduces your resolution......[/quote]
Overscan compensation reduces the resolution. Your TV manufacturer is just sending you an out-dated guide. The location of the Resize Desktop settings have changed.

Amorphous

[quote name='Adrian E' post='999357' date='Feb 11 2010, 05:55 AM']That works fine if your TV/monitor has the option to switch overscan off, but mine and many others do not....

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 02/11/2010 06:23 PM   
I just bought a new gts 250.my 8800gt worked fine. i installed the card with no trouble with an hdmi cable to my dynex hdtv.then i discovered my screen is larger than my monitor and i cant do a thing about it
I just bought a new gts 250.my 8800gt worked fine. i installed the card with no trouble with an hdmi cable to my dynex hdtv.then i discovered my screen is larger than my monitor and i cant do a thing about it

Posted 03/30/2010 06:59 AM   
also rezize desktop works for the desktop only , not for games. bad company 2 is still off of the screen.
also rezize desktop works for the desktop only , not for games. bad company 2 is still off of the screen.

Posted 03/30/2010 07:09 AM   
I'm having the same problem. Using a DVI-HDMI cable with a 40" LCD whose native resolution is 1366x768. With my nvidia 8600 driving 1366x768, the edges of the desktop are not visible. However, using a custom modeline with VGA, I can get 1:1 pixel mapping at 1366x768. The same modeline using DFP-1 instead of CRT-0 does not work.

Adding to the oddity, I had no troubles with DVI at 1366x768 with a Geforce 6600. When I upgraded video cards, (same TV same cable same driver version), the picture on the TV went all wonky. I have also tried upgrading to the newest driver with no relief.

Halp!
I'm having the same problem. Using a DVI-HDMI cable with a 40" LCD whose native resolution is 1366x768. With my nvidia 8600 driving 1366x768, the edges of the desktop are not visible. However, using a custom modeline with VGA, I can get 1:1 pixel mapping at 1366x768. The same modeline using DFP-1 instead of CRT-0 does not work.

Adding to the oddity, I had no troubles with DVI at 1366x768 with a Geforce 6600. When I upgraded video cards, (same TV same cable same driver version), the picture on the TV went all wonky. I have also tried upgrading to the newest driver with no relief.

Halp!

Posted 03/31/2010 01:28 AM   
Hi all,

I'm having a similar issue....

system specs are:
(2) GTX 280
790i Ultra
(4) DDR3 2000
3.33mHz Core2Duo OC to 4.0mHz
850w coolermaster ps

using my Mitsu 65" 1080p as the monitor.

Win7-64

here's my issue...

i can run and use the driver 181.71 (old) and in the control panel there is an option to "Resize the HDTV Desktop" this allows me to reduce the image to fit on the screen w/out loosing any of the resolution of 1920x1080. If i try any of the newer drivers even the new one 197.13 that option is gone and the other option in the Nvidia Control Panel is "resize the desktop" this just changes the resolution to a custom odd number to fit on the screen. I am a pretty avid gamer and need to keep the 1920x1080, not the 1800x1000 that all the new drivers force my screen to.

My problem is I'm fairly certain that I'm starting to have conflicts that is effecting my sound in some way....

anyone have the same issue, or know how to keep the control panel from the 181.71 driver yet use the new drivers?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

ps i have looked and my tv doesn't have the "over-scan" option that was mentioned above.
Hi all,

I'm having a similar issue....

system specs are:

(2) GTX 280

790i Ultra

(4) DDR3 2000

3.33mHz Core2Duo OC to 4.0mHz

850w coolermaster ps

using my Mitsu 65" 1080p as the monitor.

Win7-64

here's my issue...

i can run and use the driver 181.71 (old) and in the control panel there is an option to "Resize the HDTV Desktop" this allows me to reduce the image to fit on the screen w/out loosing any of the resolution of 1920x1080. If i try any of the newer drivers even the new one 197.13 that option is gone and the other option in the Nvidia Control Panel is "resize the desktop" this just changes the resolution to a custom odd number to fit on the screen. I am a pretty avid gamer and need to keep the 1920x1080, not the 1800x1000 that all the new drivers force my screen to.

My problem is I'm fairly certain that I'm starting to have conflicts that is effecting my sound in some way....

anyone have the same issue, or know how to keep the control panel from the 181.71 driver yet use the new drivers?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

ps i have looked and my tv doesn't have the "over-scan" option that was mentioned above.

Posted 04/02/2010 04:26 PM   
Having same issue....

2 x 8400 gs

I didn't have a problem with it at first but I updated a whole lot of things at once. (Desktop was boxed for a year) Including the driver for the video card and and now its not working and I don't remember the old driver version that made it work.
Having same issue....

2 x 8400 gs

I didn't have a problem with it at first but I updated a whole lot of things at once. (Desktop was boxed for a year) Including the driver for the video card and and now its not working and I don't remember the old driver version that made it work.

Posted 11/03/2010 01:42 AM   
Having same issue....

2 x 8400 gs

Having same issue....

2 x 8400 gs

Posted 11/03/2010 01:42 AM   
Had same issue I have 40 inch Samsung and actually contacted them. They said it was and issue for how when using your HDTV as monitor for a PC they don't utilize the same type of technology to determine resolution you have limited options unlike PC. Most any model made in last 5+ years simply requires you to hit the P. Size button on your remote. It will go through options depending on your TV but generally 4:3 - 16:9 - Wide Fit mode and then Just Scan which is option you want to allow the input device to work with the PC to use the full screen area. Hope this helps and if you have a remove without the option you will need to use Menu -> Picture -> Size.
Had same issue I have 40 inch Samsung and actually contacted them. They said it was and issue for how when using your HDTV as monitor for a PC they don't utilize the same type of technology to determine resolution you have limited options unlike PC. Most any model made in last 5+ years simply requires you to hit the P. Size button on your remote. It will go through options depending on your TV but generally 4:3 - 16:9 - Wide Fit mode and then Just Scan which is option you want to allow the input device to work with the PC to use the full screen area. Hope this helps and if you have a remove without the option you will need to use Menu -> Picture -> Size.

Posted 11/03/2010 09:19 AM   

Posted 11/03/2010 09:19 AM   
I am Using a GTS 250 on Vista Ultimate 64 and I am using a 23 inch Polcariod TV monitor. I have it connected with HDMI cables. I recently used Windows update to update the NVIDIA display driver to version 8.17.12.5896 dated 7/19/2010.
What this driver did was to enable me to finally run this Display at 1080 P with my computer. However at 1080 P I lost the ability to resize the desktop using the "Adjust the desktop size and position" feature in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I get the message, "The Current HDTV signal format does not support desktop resizing." It suggests changing format out of HDTV and with that enabling resizing. The only problem is that I get too much flicker at the lower resolution and refresh rate...1080I at a refresh rate of 30Hz.

I saw a forum posting that suggested going into Change Resolution and creating a custom resolution. I tinkered for a while and the closest I came to fitting my desktop in a Progressive resolution was 1820 x 1030. But I still can't get the bottom left and bottom to fit correctly. I moved the Taskbar to the right side of the screen so I could have good functionality.

Regarding Picture Size or P.Size on the TV, that is not it. I have 2 settings Full and normal. The actual desktop extends beyond the dark pixels in the reduced normal mode and I tried readjusting desktop size (still disabled) and the custom resolution and neither worked.
It is a shame that something as seemingly simple as moving my desktop to the right by 1/4 inch would rob me of a maximum good experience with my NVIDIA Graphics Card. Too Bad NVIDIA, you got 90% there but you still have not made it that last yard. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
I am Using a GTS 250 on Vista Ultimate 64 and I am using a 23 inch Polcariod TV monitor. I have it connected with HDMI cables. I recently used Windows update to update the NVIDIA display driver to version 8.17.12.5896 dated 7/19/2010.

What this driver did was to enable me to finally run this Display at 1080 P with my computer. However at 1080 P I lost the ability to resize the desktop using the "Adjust the desktop size and position" feature in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I get the message, "The Current HDTV signal format does not support desktop resizing." It suggests changing format out of HDTV and with that enabling resizing. The only problem is that I get too much flicker at the lower resolution and refresh rate...1080I at a refresh rate of 30Hz.

I saw a forum posting that suggested going into Change Resolution and creating a custom resolution. I tinkered for a while and the closest I came to fitting my desktop in a Progressive resolution was 1820 x 1030. But I still can't get the bottom left and bottom to fit correctly. I moved the Taskbar to the right side of the screen so I could have good functionality.

Regarding Picture Size or P.Size on the TV, that is not it. I have 2 settings Full and normal. The actual desktop extends beyond the dark pixels in the reduced normal mode and I tried readjusting desktop size (still disabled) and the custom resolution and neither worked.

It is a shame that something as seemingly simple as moving my desktop to the right by 1/4 inch would rob me of a maximum good experience with my NVIDIA Graphics Card. Too Bad NVIDIA, you got 90% there but you still have not made it that last yard. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 11/24/2010 01:11 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top