Netflix DRM errors Netflix says NVIDIA is the problem
Netflix "Watch Instantly" streaming movies won't play on my system - get DRM errors. Netflix tech support says the problem is my eVGA 8800GTX dual link DVI to 30" Samsung at 2560x1600. They say (and testing confirms) that I need to drop resolution to 1280x800 to avoid the DRM errors.

I was running 158.19 when working with Netflix tech support. Have since moved to 162.18, but no improvement.

I have no idea whether this is a GPU, board or driver issue. Any ideas?
Netflix "Watch Instantly" streaming movies won't play on my system - get DRM errors. Netflix tech support says the problem is my eVGA 8800GTX dual link DVI to 30" Samsung at 2560x1600. They say (and testing confirms) that I need to drop resolution to 1280x800 to avoid the DRM errors.

I was running 158.19 when working with Netflix tech support. Have since moved to 162.18, but no improvement.

I have no idea whether this is a GPU, board or driver issue. Any ideas?

Posted 08/26/2007 03:48 AM   
Reading up on this it looks like there is a problem with the dual link and HDCP DRM. According to the articles I read it is a hardware limitation. Dropping your resolution effectively puts you in single link mode and makes it all work.

Doesn't look like there is a way around it right now other than to wait for when new hardware is available that will support HDCP over dual link or using the lower single link resolutions.
Reading up on this it looks like there is a problem with the dual link and HDCP DRM. According to the articles I read it is a hardware limitation. Dropping your resolution effectively puts you in single link mode and makes it all work.

Doesn't look like there is a way around it right now other than to wait for when new hardware is available that will support HDCP over dual link or using the lower single link resolutions.

Posted 08/27/2007 09:46 PM   
Well, that sucks. DVI doesn't seem to be a very robust interface. My Sony VPL-VW100 projector has both DVI and HDMI ports, and 1080i signals are crisper over HDMI than DVI. Maybe the new VESA DisplayPort will resolve this without creating a new set of problems.
Well, that sucks. DVI doesn't seem to be a very robust interface. My Sony VPL-VW100 projector has both DVI and HDMI ports, and 1080i signals are crisper over HDMI than DVI. Maybe the new VESA DisplayPort will resolve this without creating a new set of problems.

Posted 08/27/2007 10:08 PM   
The problem happens no matter what output I use on my 6400. I normally use component out but I have tried each one individually to see if I could resolve the issue.

I reverted back to an old driver, 97.xx series because netflix support said that would fix the issue but it hasnt.

However, I have found one work around. I can search netflix for a movie I want to watch through a remote desktop session and get to the last screen before you press play, and then unlock the PC and press play (not using the remote desktop session). This is bypassing the stupid driver issue that the DRM has problems with.

DRM needs to disappear - I dont pay for content to have these kinds of problems.
The problem happens no matter what output I use on my 6400. I normally use component out but I have tried each one individually to see if I could resolve the issue.

I reverted back to an old driver, 97.xx series because netflix support said that would fix the issue but it hasnt.

However, I have found one work around. I can search netflix for a movie I want to watch through a remote desktop session and get to the last screen before you press play, and then unlock the PC and press play (not using the remote desktop session). This is bypassing the stupid driver issue that the DRM has problems with.

DRM needs to disappear - I dont pay for content to have these kinds of problems.

Posted 09/17/2007 02:45 AM   
[quote name='xeoph' date='Sep 16 2007, 06:45 PM']The problem happens no matter what output I use on my 6400.  I normally use component out but I have tried each one individually to see if I could resolve the issue.

However, I have found one work around.  I can search netflix for a movie I want to watch through a remote desktop session and get to the last screen before you press play, and then unlock the PC and press play (not using the remote desktop session).  This is bypassing the stupid driver issue that the DRM has problems with.

[right][snapback]251976[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm having the exact same problem with an old NVidia GeForce 3 TI 500. I spoke with NetFlix support regarding this problem. Apparently it has to do with a technology implemented in the strong DRM forced upon NetFlix by the MPAA/Microsoft/Macrovision. It's called "COPS" and it is (poorly) designed to detect if you are trying to capture the video signal output with any kind of digital device. It is not supposed to be triggered by hooking up my s-video output to my TV since that's an analog signal, but it is. He said that possibly getting a different video card, or using the monitor output to extend my desktop onto the TV might fix the problem, but I have no intention of buying a new video card or cluttering up my bedroom with a computer monitor just to watch streaming NetFlix. Hell, my HTPCs don't even have keyboards...I VNC into them if I need to type. Anyway, this is apparently a known issue with some Nvidia cards, but I don't know if it's a problem with all of them or not. The Netflix DRM works fine on all the other computers I've tested it on, just not the one in my bedroom going direct to TV without a normal PC monitor hooked up. Both TVs in my house are hooked up to their own networked HTPC specifically so I could do things like stream NetFlix movies to my TVs as well as my PCs. This DRM issue is a perfect example of why DRM only hurts legitimate users and does nothing to discourage piracy, in fact it CAUSES piracy. I literally have no choice but to downlaod a Bittorrent version of a movie if I want to be able to watch it on the TV in my bedroom (or wait for the DVD to arrive, but that's hardly the point). That kind of DRM is absolutely inexcusable. It's so obtuse and consumer-unfriendly that I'm not even sure which technology is to blame for the problem. Is it really my video card? The drivers? Or is it this crap DRM from Microsoft or Macrovision, or BOTH? Fortunately, it is trivial to download whatever I want on Bittorrent, and I expect that as long as hackers have a motivation to keep cracking copy protection simply to be able to legitimately use their media, the MPAA will wage a losing battle against pirates while continuing to alienate their legitimate customers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this problem does NOT occur with Amazon unbox movies which also use Microsoft DRM. I can play them just fine on my PC, so it is definitely unique to the DRM in NetFlix streams.
[quote name='xeoph' date='Sep 16 2007, 06:45 PM']The problem happens no matter what output I use on my 6400.  I normally use component out but I have tried each one individually to see if I could resolve the issue.

However, I have found one work around.  I can search netflix for a movie I want to watch through a remote desktop session and get to the last screen before you press play, and then unlock the PC and press play (not using the remote desktop session).  This is bypassing the stupid driver issue that the DRM has problems with.

[snapback]251976[/snapback]

I'm having the exact same problem with an old NVidia GeForce 3 TI 500. I spoke with NetFlix support regarding this problem. Apparently it has to do with a technology implemented in the strong DRM forced upon NetFlix by the MPAA/Microsoft/Macrovision. It's called "COPS" and it is (poorly) designed to detect if you are trying to capture the video signal output with any kind of digital device. It is not supposed to be triggered by hooking up my s-video output to my TV since that's an analog signal, but it is. He said that possibly getting a different video card, or using the monitor output to extend my desktop onto the TV might fix the problem, but I have no intention of buying a new video card or cluttering up my bedroom with a computer monitor just to watch streaming NetFlix. Hell, my HTPCs don't even have keyboards...I VNC into them if I need to type. Anyway, this is apparently a known issue with some Nvidia cards, but I don't know if it's a problem with all of them or not. The Netflix DRM works fine on all the other computers I've tested it on, just not the one in my bedroom going direct to TV without a normal PC monitor hooked up. Both TVs in my house are hooked up to their own networked HTPC specifically so I could do things like stream NetFlix movies to my TVs as well as my PCs. This DRM issue is a perfect example of why DRM only hurts legitimate users and does nothing to discourage piracy, in fact it CAUSES piracy. I literally have no choice but to downlaod a Bittorrent version of a movie if I want to be able to watch it on the TV in my bedroom (or wait for the DVD to arrive, but that's hardly the point). That kind of DRM is absolutely inexcusable. It's so obtuse and consumer-unfriendly that I'm not even sure which technology is to blame for the problem. Is it really my video card? The drivers? Or is it this crap DRM from Microsoft or Macrovision, or BOTH? Fortunately, it is trivial to download whatever I want on Bittorrent, and I expect that as long as hackers have a motivation to keep cracking copy protection simply to be able to legitimately use their media, the MPAA will wage a losing battle against pirates while continuing to alienate their legitimate customers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this problem does NOT occur with Amazon unbox movies which also use Microsoft DRM. I can play them just fine on my PC, so it is definitely unique to the DRM in NetFlix streams.

Posted 06/24/2008 02:18 AM   
I get the same thing, on a 7600GS on Windoze XP.

Playing Nexflix movies on DVI works fine, but the same movies won't play from the S-VHS connector, they give a "you must reset your Microsoft DRM credentials". Netflix says this an nVidia driver issue that has not yet been corrected.

[code]For me it's S-VHS related only.  But, that's exactly how I want to use it![/code]

>.<
I get the same thing, on a 7600GS on Windoze XP.

Playing Nexflix movies on DVI works fine, but the same movies won't play from the S-VHS connector, they give a "you must reset your Microsoft DRM credentials". Netflix says this an nVidia driver issue that has not yet been corrected.

For me it's S-VHS related only.  But, that's exactly how I want to use it!

>.<

Posted 09/26/2008 06:16 AM   
See also a hack at
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=55361&hl=netflix"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...5361&hl=netflix[/url]

Posted 09/26/2008 06:18 AM   
Scroll To Top