TDR Back After 8/15 Windows Update
  1 / 3    
I woke up this morning to info that windows had updated... a few moments later i got the first TDR I've had in months and now they keep coming... did something change in the most recent windows update? The last time I had TDRs was when my memory was going bad but it checks AOK now.

EVGA 680i
XFX 8800GTX
qx6700 @3.2ghx
corsair dominator 1066 4GB
I woke up this morning to info that windows had updated... a few moments later i got the first TDR I've had in months and now they keep coming... did something change in the most recent windows update? The last time I had TDRs was when my memory was going bad but it checks AOK now.

EVGA 680i

XFX 8800GTX

qx6700 @3.2ghx

Posted 08/16/2007 09:24 PM   
[quote name='cncgod' date='Aug 16 2007, 05:24 PM']I woke up this morning to info that windows had updated... a few moments later i got the first TDR I've had in months and now they keep coming... did something change in the most recent windows update? The last time I had TDRs was when my memory was going bad but it checks AOK now.
EVGA 680i
XFX 8800GTX
qx6700 @3.2ghx
[right][snapback]237848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I looked through those updates, and they looked like only security-related. It might just be a coincidence...

A lot of us are coming to the conclusion that TDRs are software and/or hardware related. It looks like your bad RAM was a hardware cause, but now you have a software one! If you still suspect your RAM (I get more TDRs at 1066), you can underclock to 800 with tighter latency (I'm stable at 4-4-4-8-1T, which actually clocks faster than 1066 at 5-5-5-15-2T).

Cheers,

d
[quote name='cncgod' date='Aug 16 2007, 05:24 PM']I woke up this morning to info that windows had updated... a few moments later i got the first TDR I've had in months and now they keep coming... did something change in the most recent windows update? The last time I had TDRs was when my memory was going bad but it checks AOK now.

EVGA 680i

XFX 8800GTX

qx6700 @3.2ghx

[snapback]237848[/snapback]

I looked through those updates, and they looked like only security-related. It might just be a coincidence...

A lot of us are coming to the conclusion that TDRs are software and/or hardware related. It looks like your bad RAM was a hardware cause, but now you have a software one! If you still suspect your RAM (I get more TDRs at 1066), you can underclock to 800 with tighter latency (I'm stable at 4-4-4-8-1T, which actually clocks faster than 1066 at 5-5-5-15-2T).

Cheers,

d

Posted 08/17/2007 01:25 PM   
Control Panel=> Windows Update => View Update History.
Was the update a driver update by any chance? If not, what was the update?

Posted 08/17/2007 01:50 PM   
Hi there, I am also getting the TDR message 3 or 4 times per day now ever since the recent Windows Updates earlier this week. I am reassured that I don't seem to be the only one affected by this.
Hi there, I am also getting the TDR message 3 or 4 times per day now ever since the recent Windows Updates earlier this week. I am reassured that I don't seem to be the only one affected by this.

Posted 08/17/2007 02:55 PM   

Posted 08/17/2007 03:09 PM   
The following Windows Updates downloaded and installed on 8/15...

- Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.21.2837.1)
- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB936021)
- Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2007 (KB936644)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB933579)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938123)
- Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter for x64-based Systems [August 2007] (KB905866)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938127)
- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB936782)
- Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
- Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB936960)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB937143)
- Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB932596)
- Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.20.2835.3)
The following Windows Updates downloaded and installed on 8/15...

- Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.21.2837.1)

- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB936021)

- Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2007 (KB936644)

- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB933579)

- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938123)

- Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter for x64-based Systems [August 2007] (KB905866)

- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938127)

- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB936782)

- Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

- Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB936960)

- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB937143)

- Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB932596)

- Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.20.2835.3)

Posted 08/17/2007 03:15 PM   
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:15 PM'][color=red]- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS[/color]
[right][snapback]238175[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
**EDIT**
It is not necessary to follow any of these instructions anymore.
Windows Update now has a new driver (October 2007).
This new driver from Windows Update is not causing the same TDR errors as the older driver (February 2007).
If you are having TDR errors then it is unlikely to be caused by Windows Update.
I leave the original posts intact in case anyone still wants to read.
**/EDIT**

I have edited this post to show an easier method of getting rid of the Windows Update driver. There is some pictures to make it easier to follow. If you want to see what I wrote originally, it is quoted in some following posts.

As you will soon see, Windows Update is installing a driver from the 10 February 2007, a very old driver which has a bug in it, the bug makes it difficult to remove. Simply uninstalling the driver does not work, it is difficult to remove the broken driver installed by windows update. Follow these 12 steps to successfully remove the broken driver.

[b]BEFORE YOU START, DOWNLOAD THE LATEST DRIVER FROM THE NVIDIA WEBSITE[/b]
[url="http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp"]CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER[/url]

[b]
Step 1.
Change the Windows Update settings so that it will not automatically install any drivers.

This is very important, if you don't change this setting then Windows Update will simply reinstall the driver again.
Click [START][CONTROL PANEL][WINDOWS UPDATE][CHANGE SETTINGS]
Change the setting so that it is: [Download updates but let me choose whether to install them].
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic1m_2bb8ff6.jpg[/img]

Step 2.
Reboot into safe mode.

Do this by pressing [f8] when the computer is restarting.

Step 3.
Uninstall the video driver.

Click [START][CONTROL PANEL][PROGRAMS AND FEATURES]
Right click [NVIDIA DRIVERS] and choose [uninstall/change]. Follow the onscreen prompts to uninstall the driver.
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic2m_48bc57b.jpg[/img]

Step 4.
Reboot into safe mode.

Once the nvidia driver is uninstalled, you will need to reboot again into safe mode. Be careful to try not to boot the computer into normal mode.
Boot into safe mode by pressing [f8] as the computer is restarting.

Step 5.
After the reboot, you will be prompted to install a new driver. Choose "Dont show this message again for this device".

[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic3m_1c6a489.jpg[/img]

Step 6.
Change the folder options so that you can see all the files.

From any Windows Explorer window, click [TOOLS][FOLDER OPTIONS].
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic4m_00b11ce.jpg[/img]

Step 7.

From the view tab choose the following:
a.) Show hidden files and folders.
B.) Untick - Hide protected operating system files.
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic5m_83a50b3.jpg[/img]

Step 8.
Ensure that you can see the file dates

Do this by clicking on a blank column and selecting date modified.
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic6am_597d6e4.jpg[/img]

Step 9.
Navigate to c:\windows\system32

Sort the files by name.
Scroll down to the files which begin with the letters 'nv'
Select all the files which begin with the letters 'nv' and are dated 10th Feb 2007 10:48AM.
Delete the selected files.
[color=red]DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES DATED 2ND NOVEMBER 2006. THESE ARE IMPORTANT OPERATING SYSTEM FILES.[/color]

[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic6bm_35b657a.jpg[/img]

Step 10

Repeat step 9 in the folder of c:\windows\system32\drivers
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic7m_e4f8afa.jpg[/img]

Step 11. (only for 64bit Vista)

Repeat step 9 in the folder of c:\windows\sysWOW64
[img]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/9/9/8/f_pic8m_38ee131.jpg[/img]

Step 12

Install the driver which you downloaded from the nvidia website.
[img]http://img38.picoodle.com/img/img38/9/9/8/f_pic9m_dc115a4.jpg[/img]
[/b]

[b]THE END[/b]
And thats it. You can check in the different c:\windows folders to make sure that all the driver files now have the same date. If they are not, then simply go through the steps again.

Good luck, enjoy and have fun.
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:15 PM']- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

[snapback]238175[/snapback]

**EDIT**

It is not necessary to follow any of these instructions anymore.

Windows Update now has a new driver (October 2007).

This new driver from Windows Update is not causing the same TDR errors as the older driver (February 2007).

If you are having TDR errors then it is unlikely to be caused by Windows Update.

I leave the original posts intact in case anyone still wants to read.

**/EDIT**

I have edited this post to show an easier method of getting rid of the Windows Update driver. There is some pictures to make it easier to follow. If you want to see what I wrote originally, it is quoted in some following posts.

As you will soon see, Windows Update is installing a driver from the 10 February 2007, a very old driver which has a bug in it, the bug makes it difficult to remove. Simply uninstalling the driver does not work, it is difficult to remove the broken driver installed by windows update. Follow these 12 steps to successfully remove the broken driver.

BEFORE YOU START, DOWNLOAD THE LATEST DRIVER FROM THE NVIDIA WEBSITE

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER

Step 1.

Change the Windows Update settings so that it will not automatically install any drivers.

This is very important, if you don't change this setting then Windows Update will simply reinstall the driver again.

Click [START][CONTROL PANEL][WINDOWS UPDATE][CHANGE SETTINGS]

Change the setting so that it is: [Download updates but let me choose whether to install them].

Step 2.

Reboot into safe mode.

Do this by pressing [f8] when the computer is restarting.

Step 3.

Uninstall the video driver.

Click [START][CONTROL PANEL][PROGRAMS AND FEATURES]

Right click [NVIDIA DRIVERS] and choose [uninstall/change]. Follow the onscreen prompts to uninstall the driver.

Step 4.

Reboot into safe mode.

Once the nvidia driver is uninstalled, you will need to reboot again into safe mode. Be careful to try not to boot the computer into normal mode.

Boot into safe mode by pressing [f8] as the computer is restarting.

Step 5.

After the reboot, you will be prompted to install a new driver. Choose "Dont show this message again for this device".

Step 6.

Change the folder options so that you can see all the files.

From any Windows Explorer window, click [TOOLS][FOLDER OPTIONS].

Step 7.

From the view tab choose the following:

a.) Show hidden files and folders.

B.) Untick - Hide protected operating system files.

Step 8.

Ensure that you can see the file dates

Do this by clicking on a blank column and selecting date modified.

Step 9.

Navigate to c:\windows\system32

Sort the files by name.

Scroll down to the files which begin with the letters 'nv'

Select all the files which begin with the letters 'nv' and are dated 10th Feb 2007 10:48AM.

Delete the selected files.

DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES DATED 2ND NOVEMBER 2006. THESE ARE IMPORTANT OPERATING SYSTEM FILES.

Step 10

Repeat step 9 in the folder of c:\windows\system32\drivers

Step 11. (only for 64bit Vista)

Repeat step 9 in the folder of c:\windows\sysWOW64

Step 12

Install the driver which you downloaded from the nvidia website.

THE END

And thats it. You can check in the different c:\windows folders to make sure that all the driver files now have the same date. If they are not, then simply go through the steps again.

Good luck, enjoy and have fun.

Posted 08/17/2007 03:39 PM   
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:15 AM'](SNIP!)
(SNIP!)[right][snapback]238175[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha. I beat Stickywulf to this one:

Try removing that driver and installing one downloaded directly from Nvidia. Drivers updated through Windows Update are buggy for some reason.

Cheers,

d
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:15 AM'](SNIP!)

(SNIP!)
[snapback]238175[/snapback]

Haha. I beat Stickywulf to this one:

Try removing that driver and installing one downloaded directly from Nvidia. Drivers updated through Windows Update are buggy for some reason.

Cheers,

d

Posted 08/17/2007 03:40 PM   
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:40 PM']Haha.  I beat Stickywulf to this one:

Try removing that driver and installing one downloaded directly from Nvidia.  Drivers updated through Windows Update are buggy for some reason.

Cheers,

d
[right][snapback]238184[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Nup... Too slow
[quote name='Dostoyevsky77' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:40 PM']Haha.  I beat Stickywulf to this one:

Try removing that driver and installing one downloaded directly from Nvidia.  Drivers updated through Windows Update are buggy for some reason.

Cheers,

d

[snapback]238184[/snapback]

Nup... Too slow

Posted 08/17/2007 03:41 PM   
Many thanks guys, I'll report back and let you know how I got on...
Many thanks guys, I'll report back and let you know how I got on...

Posted 08/17/2007 03:46 PM   
Thanks Stickywolf that worked nicely.

Can I just say wtf is going on with Windows Update sending duff drivers? /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

I'll not make the mistake of trusting Graphics drivers from Windows Update again.
Thanks Stickywolf that worked nicely.

Can I just say wtf is going on with Windows Update sending duff drivers? /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

I'll not make the mistake of trusting Graphics drivers from Windows Update again.

Posted 08/17/2007 08:49 PM   
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 18 2007, 04:49 AM']Thanks Stickywolf that worked nicely.

[right][snapback]238293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ThankYOU for following the advice.

Windows Update also gave me incorrectly: Sound drivers, tv tuner driver, SATA driver.
With all the problems from Windows Update it is no wonder that so many people have problems with Vista. The guy in charge of Windows Update needs a kick in the pants. :rolleyes:
[quote name='Keiron' date='Aug 18 2007, 04:49 AM']Thanks Stickywolf that worked nicely.

[snapback]238293[/snapback]

ThankYOU for following the advice.

Windows Update also gave me incorrectly: Sound drivers, tv tuner driver, SATA driver.

With all the problems from Windows Update it is no wonder that so many people have problems with Vista. The guy in charge of Windows Update needs a kick in the pants. :rolleyes:

Posted 08/17/2007 09:17 PM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Aug 17 2007, 01:17 PM']ThankYOU for following the advice. 

With all the problems from Windows Update it is no wonder that so many people have problems with Vista.  The guy in charge of Windows Update needs a kick in the pants.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]238304[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have no problens with Vista. None.
I must ask, why do so many of you use Vista 64 bit when you also keep your old monitors and other hardware and also use T V's ? What advantage do you see with 64 bit today? Is it just because it is there?
I run all bleeding edge hardware and I upgrade often but I see absolutly no advantage in 64 bit, just lots of PITA/ That will change and when it does and I see an advantage I will change.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Aug 17 2007, 01:17 PM']ThankYOU for following the advice. 

With all the problems from Windows Update it is no wonder that so many people have problems with Vista.  The guy in charge of Windows Update needs a kick in the pants.  :rolleyes:

[snapback]238304[/snapback]

I have no problens with Vista. None.

I must ask, why do so many of you use Vista 64 bit when you also keep your old monitors and other hardware and also use T V's ? What advantage do you see with 64 bit today? Is it just because it is there?

I run all bleeding edge hardware and I upgrade often but I see absolutly no advantage in 64 bit, just lots of PITA/ That will change and when it does and I see an advantage I will change.

Asus Rampage II Extreme

PSU Corsair AX1200,1200 Wt PSU

12 Gb Dominator DDR3

i7 920 DO (OCed to 3.4 Ghz for everyday use, it is stable at 4 Ghz however, liquid cooled)

ASUS Xonar D2X sound card

120 Gb Vertex 2 SSD for boot

2 Ea 300 Gb V-Raptors in RAID 0 for most programs

2 Tb WD RE3 for main storage

Normal other stuff such as BD and opt drives Etc.

Tt Armor Al case

GPU's 2 X GTX 580's driving 3 Ea Samsung 245t's @ 5760 X 1200

Posted 08/18/2007 01:56 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:39 PM']Windows Update has installed the crappy broken driver.  You need to get rid of this but it is not easy.

1.  Control Panel=>Windows Update=>Change Settings=>"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".
2.  Download the latest driver from the nvidia website. [url="http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp"]http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp[/url]
3.  Go to Device Manager, select your display adaptor, and uninstall it, choose to also delete drivers when prompted.
4.  Reboot computer into safe mode by pressing f8 when the computer boots, when prompted to install new display driver choose "never install a driver for this device"
5.  Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename the file nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm_old.sys.  Take note of the date of this file
6.  Navigate to c:\windows\system32 and rename any other file of the same date as nvlddmkm.sys which begins with the letters 'nv'
6a.  For 64bit Vista, repeat step 6 in c:\windows\sysWOW64
7.  Reboot to normal Windows, if prompted again to install a driver choose "never install a driver for this device.
8.  Install the driver which you downloaded from the nvidia website.

Good Luck.
[right][snapback]238182[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]Re: nvlddmkm stopped responding[/b]

Have searched the forums since building my new computer with Vista 64 and 8600's.

Tried every suggestion regarding nvlddmkm stopped responding and finally found this resolve. No comprimises! A perfect, fully functional, everything set to max. system. BF2 is a dream again.

The only thing I would add to the instructions below is that as you start to rename everything nvlddmkm.sys it auto suggests (2), (3) etc because you can't have duplicate file names. Thats fine, just carry on.
Rename everthing .dll .sys etc. Everything with the same date that starts with nv.

Stickywulf. You da man.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:39 PM']Windows Update has installed the crappy broken driver.  You need to get rid of this but it is not easy.

1.  Control Panel=>Windows Update=>Change Settings=>"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".

2.  Download the latest driver from the nvidia website. http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

3.  Go to Device Manager, select your display adaptor, and uninstall it, choose to also delete drivers when prompted.

4.  Reboot computer into safe mode by pressing f8 when the computer boots, when prompted to install new display driver choose "never install a driver for this device"

5.  Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename the file nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm_old.sys.  Take note of the date of this file

6.  Navigate to c:\windows\system32 and rename any other file of the same date as nvlddmkm.sys which begins with the letters 'nv'

6a.  For 64bit Vista, repeat step 6 in c:\windows\sysWOW64

7.  Reboot to normal Windows, if prompted again to install a driver choose "never install a driver for this device.

8.  Install the driver which you downloaded from the nvidia website.

Good Luck.

[snapback]238182[/snapback]

Re: nvlddmkm stopped responding

Have searched the forums since building my new computer with Vista 64 and 8600's.

Tried every suggestion regarding nvlddmkm stopped responding and finally found this resolve. No comprimises! A perfect, fully functional, everything set to max. system. BF2 is a dream again.

The only thing I would add to the instructions below is that as you start to rename everything nvlddmkm.sys it auto suggests (2), (3) etc because you can't have duplicate file names. Thats fine, just carry on.

Rename everthing .dll .sys etc. Everything with the same date that starts with nv.

Stickywulf. You da man.

Posted 08/23/2007 01:13 AM   
[quote name='Midlander_UK_1' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:13 AM'][b]Re: nvlddmkm stopped responding[/b]

Stickywulf. You da man.
[right][snapback]240299[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The files can be renamed to anything. You can rename them to lollapalooza if you want to. Or even delete the files. The objective is to make sure the files are changed in some way.

I edited the previous post to make this clearer.
[quote name='Midlander_UK_1' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:13 AM']Re: nvlddmkm stopped responding

Stickywulf. You da man.

[snapback]240299[/snapback]

The files can be renamed to anything. You can rename them to lollapalooza if you want to. Or even delete the files. The objective is to make sure the files are changed in some way.

I edited the previous post to make this clearer.

Posted 08/23/2007 01:51 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top