SLIZONE "SLI-Ready" Win Checker You probably won't win, but just in case
If you're not aware, SLIZONE is holding a contest, giving out 1 free SLI component a day. Sounds awesome right?

However, chances are you probably won't win. Chances are even slimmer that you will know [i]when[/i] you win either: See, they have this policy that in order to claim your prize, you must manually check [url="http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_winners_all.html"]the site[/url], at least every 7 days, to see if you win, and then write SLIZONE back with your claim. In other words, if you happened to have won, but did not reply in 7 days, you will lose your prize. That sounded pretty crappy to me.

Well F that! I wrote a python script that will take out the constant checking you'd have to preform. This way, you'll be ready when you win, which you probably won't.

This script comes with no warranty, and no explanation on how to use it (its pretty straightforward...just run it with python). This script is also pretty useless if you do not [b]schedule[/b] it to run. (I'm using the windows task scheduler). NOTE: this is a python script! [b]also, change the names to your names.[/b] I wasn't sure which name I submitted, so I included several. You may add or remove as necessary.

[code]import urllib2, re, sys

win_page_url = 'http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_winners_all.html'
retrieval_retries = 3

#just in case....i forget what name i used / they'll report. CHANGE THESE FOR YOU
names = ['John Doe',
        'Johnathan Doe',
        'Johnathan David Doe',
        'John David Doe']

name_regexes = [re.compile(name, re.I) for name in names]

for i in range(retrieval_retries):
   try:
       win_page_obj = urllib2.urlopen(win_page_url)
       print "Got winners page"
       break
   except:
       print "Some error"

if not win_page_obj:
   print "Is your internet in?"
   sys.exit(1)

win_page_code = win_page_obj.read()

for name_regex in name_regexes:
   match_obj = name_regex.search(win_page_code)
   name = name_regex.pattern

if match_obj:
       for i in xrange(10):
           print "%s, YOU WON!" % (name)
   else:
       print "%s not found" % (name)

raw_input('done')
[/code]
If you're not aware, SLIZONE is holding a contest, giving out 1 free SLI component a day. Sounds awesome right?

However, chances are you probably won't win. Chances are even slimmer that you will know when you win either: See, they have this policy that in order to claim your prize, you must manually check the site, at least every 7 days, to see if you win, and then write SLIZONE back with your claim. In other words, if you happened to have won, but did not reply in 7 days, you will lose your prize. That sounded pretty crappy to me.

Well F that! I wrote a python script that will take out the constant checking you'd have to preform. This way, you'll be ready when you win, which you probably won't.

This script comes with no warranty, and no explanation on how to use it (its pretty straightforward...just run it with python). This script is also pretty useless if you do not schedule it to run. (I'm using the windows task scheduler). NOTE: this is a python script! also, change the names to your names. I wasn't sure which name I submitted, so I included several. You may add or remove as necessary.

import urllib2, re, sys

retrieval_retries = 3

#just in case....i forget what name i used / they'll report. CHANGE THESE FOR YOU

names = ['John Doe',

'Johnathan Doe',

'Johnathan David Doe',

'John David Doe']

try:

print "Got winners page"

break

except:

print "Some error"

if not win_page_obj:

sys.exit(1)

if match_obj:

for i in xrange(10):

else:

raw_input('done')

Posted 07/26/2007 03:10 AM   
...or you could just bookmark the link on the Firefox bookmarks toolbar and check it every day. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

And thanks for telling everyone, now my chances of winning are even smaller! Jerk.

Amorphous

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:10 PM']If you're not aware, SLIZONE is holding a contest, giving out 1 free SLI component a day. Sounds awesome right?

However, chances are you probably won't win. Chances are even slimmer that you will know [i]when[/i] you win either: See, they have this policy that in order to claim your prize, you must manually check [url="http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_winners_all.html"]the site[/url], at least every 7 days, to see if you win, and then write SLIZONE back with your claim. In other words, if you happened to have won, but did not reply in 7 days, you will lose your prize. That sounded pretty crappy to me.

This script comes with no warranty, and no explanation on how to use it (its pretty straightforward...just run it with python). This script is also pretty useless if you do not [b]schedule[/b] it to run. (I'm using the windows task scheduler). NOTE: this is a python script! [b]also, change the names to your names.[/b] I wasn't sure which name I submitted, so I included several. You may add or remove as necessary.
[code]import urllib2, re, sys

retrieval_retries = 3

names = ['John Doe',
        'Johnathan Doe',
        'Johnathan David Doe',
        'John David Doe']

try:
       print "Got winners page"
       break
   except:
       print "Some error"

if not win_page_obj:
   sys.exit(1)

if match_obj:
       for i in xrange(10):
   else:

raw_input('done')
[/code]
[right][snapback]227834[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...or you could just bookmark the link on the Firefox bookmarks toolbar and check it every day. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

And thanks for telling everyone, now my chances of winning are even smaller! Jerk.

Amorphous

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:10 PM']If you're not aware, SLIZONE is holding a contest, giving out 1 free SLI component a day. Sounds awesome right?

However, chances are you probably won't win. Chances are even slimmer that you will know when you win either: See, they have this policy that in order to claim your prize, you must manually check the site, at least every 7 days, to see if you win, and then write SLIZONE back with your claim. In other words, if you happened to have won, but did not reply in 7 days, you will lose your prize. That sounded pretty crappy to me.

This script comes with no warranty, and no explanation on how to use it (its pretty straightforward...just run it with python). This script is also pretty useless if you do not schedule it to run. (I'm using the windows task scheduler). NOTE: this is a python script! also, change the names to your names. I wasn't sure which name I submitted, so I included several. You may add or remove as necessary.

import urllib2, re, sys

retrieval_retries = 3

names = ['John Doe',

'Johnathan Doe',

'Johnathan David Doe',

'John David Doe']

try:

print "Got winners page"

break

except:

print "Some error"

if not win_page_obj:

sys.exit(1)

if match_obj:

for i in xrange(10):

else:

raw_input('done')

[snapback]227834[/snapback]

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 07/26/2007 03:51 AM   
[quote name='Amorphous' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:51 PM']...or you could just bookmark the link on the Firefox bookmarks toolbar and check it every day.  /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Amorphous
[right][snapback]227852[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

glad to lower the chances of the unappreciative. good luck and may your checking be difficult!

probably about 20% of viewers will actually implement this anyway. maybe about 50% who don't implement it but that signup will forget in a month.
[quote name='Amorphous' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:51 PM']...or you could just bookmark the link on the Firefox bookmarks toolbar and check it every day.  /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Amorphous

[snapback]227852[/snapback]

glad to lower the chances of the unappreciative. good luck and may your checking be difficult!

probably about 20% of viewers will actually implement this anyway. maybe about 50% who don't implement it but that signup will forget in a month.

Posted 07/26/2007 04:05 AM   
While I think it's great that you can write the code, I've always believed in KISS - Keep it simple, stupid.

:ph34r:

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:05 PM']glad to lower the chances of the unappreciative. good luck and may your checking be difficult!

[right][snapback]227859[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
While I think it's great that you can write the code, I've always believed in KISS - Keep it simple, stupid.

:ph34r:

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:05 PM']glad to lower the chances of the unappreciative. good luck and may your checking be difficult!

[snapback]227859[/snapback]

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 07/26/2007 06:05 AM   
dude. whatever. im not going to have a flame war on the nvidia forums. i'd delete this post if i could.

you're right about one thing though. keeping exposure of the sweepstakes benefits people like you and me more.

one last thing, once you have python, checking your win status is a double-click away, or even automatic if its scheduled to run. its [i]quite[/i] simple.
dude. whatever. im not going to have a flame war on the nvidia forums. i'd delete this post if i could.

you're right about one thing though. keeping exposure of the sweepstakes benefits people like you and me more.

one last thing, once you have python, checking your win status is a double-click away, or even automatic if its scheduled to run. its quite simple.

Posted 07/26/2007 04:31 PM   
Who's flaming?

If you're referring to my first reply there's a bit of sarcasm in there. My chances of winning were already astronomically small.

You see this whole "if you don't claim it within 7 days you lose it" behavior with all sweepstakes, buried within the official rules. The new trend is to arrange sweepstakes so that someone with a winning piece isn't likely to ever know, or enter. Coke and Pepsi have been putting codes in the bottle caps. If you go online and enter the codes you can see if you've won something. Generally people don't bother with that sort of thing. It gives them the benefits of running a sweepstakes (people buying more of their products) and greatly reduces their chances of ever having to pay.

And I only have to single click my Firefox link. I'm too lazy for a double. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Amorphous

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 26 2007, 08:31 AM']dude. whatever. im not going to have a flame war on the nvidia forums. i'd delete this post if i could.

one last thing, once you have python, checking your win status is a double-click away, or even automatic if its scheduled to run. its [i]quite[/i] simple.
[right][snapback]228131[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Who's flaming?

If you're referring to my first reply there's a bit of sarcasm in there. My chances of winning were already astronomically small.

You see this whole "if you don't claim it within 7 days you lose it" behavior with all sweepstakes, buried within the official rules. The new trend is to arrange sweepstakes so that someone with a winning piece isn't likely to ever know, or enter. Coke and Pepsi have been putting codes in the bottle caps. If you go online and enter the codes you can see if you've won something. Generally people don't bother with that sort of thing. It gives them the benefits of running a sweepstakes (people buying more of their products) and greatly reduces their chances of ever having to pay.

And I only have to single click my Firefox link. I'm too lazy for a double. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Amorphous

[quote name='teimu' date='Jul 26 2007, 08:31 AM']dude. whatever. im not going to have a flame war on the nvidia forums. i'd delete this post if i could.

one last thing, once you have python, checking your win status is a double-click away, or even automatic if its scheduled to run. its quite simple.

[snapback]228131[/snapback]

Posted 07/26/2007 05:10 PM   
[quote name='Amorphous' date='Jul 26 2007, 01:10 PM']Who's flaming?

And I only have to single click my Firefox link. I'm too lazy for a double.  /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />
Amorphous
[right][snapback]228157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha. Well, my bad. I misinterpreted your comments (which I thought were insults). Use more smilies /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
[quote name='Amorphous' date='Jul 26 2007, 01:10 PM']Who's flaming?

And I only have to single click my Firefox link. I'm too lazy for a double.  /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Amorphous

[snapback]228157[/snapback]

Haha. Well, my bad. I misinterpreted your comments (which I thought were insults). Use more smilies /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Posted 07/26/2007 06:50 PM   
Scroll To Top