2X Western digital 7200rpm 250gb in RAID 0, forget the exact name of the HDD's
P5N-E SLI
Intel Q6600
Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative fatal1ty platinum sound card
Vista 32bit
4 gb ram
700watt PSU

I assembled the computer about 2 days ago, it was working fine I was connecting to the internet and getting new drivers. About yesterday the internet connection started acting funny and refused to connect to the internet. After a little bit of testing I found out that it would also refuse to connect to the router that is just 1 ft away, connected by an ethernet cord. I have hooked up my old XP rig and it connects just fine at its normal speed.

Since then I have updated the chipset drivers, updated the graphics drivers, I've upgraded all the drivers. The only thing I haven't done is updated Vista because I can't connect to the internet to update. The ethernet cord is lighting up indicating that it is connected to the ethernet slot. I have uninstalled the device and drivers and then reinstalled the drivers. I haven't installed any old drivers because I can't find any and my system won't let me rollback the drivers.

I had heard that this as a problem caused by the NIC in the NVIDIA chipset being incompatable with Vista and that theres no real work around or fix to get it working again, you need to go out and buy a NIC to fit in a PCI slot.

I came here to find out whether this was true and what cures and or fixes might be available.

Also I can't seem to find a menu or settings page within Vista where I can change the connection settings, I can set up a new connection via a broadband connection but that doesn't work.

So does anyone here have any advice or solutions?

Forgot to mention that both HDD's are SATA
My computer specs are...

2X Western digital 7200rpm 250gb in RAID 0, forget the exact name of the HDD's

P5N-E SLI

Intel Q6600

Nvidia 8800GTX

Creative fatal1ty platinum sound card

Vista 32bit

4 gb ram

700watt PSU

I assembled the computer about 2 days ago, it was working fine I was connecting to the internet and getting new drivers. About yesterday the internet connection started acting funny and refused to connect to the internet. After a little bit of testing I found out that it would also refuse to connect to the router that is just 1 ft away, connected by an ethernet cord. I have hooked up my old XP rig and it connects just fine at its normal speed.

Since then I have updated the chipset drivers, updated the graphics drivers, I've upgraded all the drivers. The only thing I haven't done is updated Vista because I can't connect to the internet to update. The ethernet cord is lighting up indicating that it is connected to the ethernet slot. I have uninstalled the device and drivers and then reinstalled the drivers. I haven't installed any old drivers because I can't find any and my system won't let me rollback the drivers.

I had heard that this as a problem caused by the NIC in the NVIDIA chipset being incompatable with Vista and that theres no real work around or fix to get it working again, you need to go out and buy a NIC to fit in a PCI slot.

I came here to find out whether this was true and what cures and or fixes might be available.

Also I can't seem to find a menu or settings page within Vista where I can change the connection settings, I can set up a new connection via a broadband connection but that doesn't work.

So does anyone here have any advice or solutions?

Forgot to mention that both HDD's are SATA

Posted 07/17/2007 07:57 PM   
I got the same problem with my XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard. My internet connection worked for about 2 days... then nothing. Vista says I don't have any networking hardware ???? The amber light on the NIC is flashing but the green light is off.

Does anyone have a fix or a clue on what to do ?

thx
I got the same problem with my XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard. My internet connection worked for about 2 days... then nothing. Vista says I don't have any networking hardware ???? The amber light on the NIC is flashing but the green light is off.

Does anyone have a fix or a clue on what to do ?

thx

Posted 01/12/2008 11:24 PM   
What did you do during those two days: update BIOS?... driver updates?... software... any ISP provided software? It's possible your network interface has lost its MAC - try GETMAC from a command prompt to see if it returns a correct address. It could also be that Windows is trying to connect through the IEEE 1394 interface - try ROUTE PRINT from command prompt to see what is there. What do you see in Network Connections Control Panel? Do you see the network controller in Device Manager?

When installing any Windows, it's always better to do the initial install with much of the optional hardware disabled in BIOS then enable it one by one, e.g. sound, network, IEEE 1394 etc.
What did you do during those two days: update BIOS?... driver updates?... software... any ISP provided software? It's possible your network interface has lost its MAC - try GETMAC from a command prompt to see if it returns a correct address. It could also be that Windows is trying to connect through the IEEE 1394 interface - try ROUTE PRINT from command prompt to see what is there. What do you see in Network Connections Control Panel? Do you see the network controller in Device Manager?

When installing any Windows, it's always better to do the initial install with much of the optional hardware disabled in BIOS then enable it one by one, e.g. sound, network, IEEE 1394 etc.

Posted 01/13/2008 07:45 AM   
I had this problem with Vista on my XFX 780i mobo, and spun my wheels for a few hours. I simply went into the Device Manager and deleted both on-board ethernet controllers and rebooted. Vista detected them and they worked beautifully from that point on. After I got them working again, I did a full reinstall of the nvidia drivers and they started working. If the nvidia drivers don't work for you, you might consider using the *barf* native windows drivers for now.
I had this problem with Vista on my XFX 780i mobo, and spun my wheels for a few hours. I simply went into the Device Manager and deleted both on-board ethernet controllers and rebooted. Vista detected them and they worked beautifully from that point on. After I got them working again, I did a full reinstall of the nvidia drivers and they started working. If the nvidia drivers don't work for you, you might consider using the *barf* native windows drivers for now.

Posted 01/14/2008 02:57 PM   
I am currently having this issue right now on my GA-M57SLI4 mobo. It is running both the NAM LAN and the 1394 connection. Whenever I try to disable one of the two, it refreshes itself and reactivates it. I just built this PC the other day, and my connection worked for about a 10 hours before it died.

I'm going to format and retry the whole thing without the optional bits enabled in the BIOS. Hope that works.
I am currently having this issue right now on my GA-M57SLI4 mobo. It is running both the NAM LAN and the 1394 connection. Whenever I try to disable one of the two, it refreshes itself and reactivates it. I just built this PC the other day, and my connection worked for about a 10 hours before it died.

I'm going to format and retry the whole thing without the optional bits enabled in the BIOS. Hope that works.

Posted 01/21/2008 07:15 AM   
I believe I tried the windows drivers, and they didn't work.

I also tried disabling everything that you indicated and it still didn't work.

After my original post though my ethernet did start working.. sort of. I put in an old ethernet pci add in card I had, wrong length for my case it was so old!, and that worked. However the asthetics of the case were disturbing me so I pulled it out and then plugged the ethernet cable back into the mobo slots resigning myself to life without internet unless I installed a wireless add in card. However my ethernet started working magically! It continued working for about 4 months until I moved switching ISP's and routers in the process (forced to switch to telus and forced to use their dam gateway) and stopped working. I eventually threw in a wireless N add in card to go with my wireless N router - hooked up to my consoles for streaming video. I'm now connected to my internet wirelessly fine and my wireless media line fine.

Next time I upgrade however I will be avoiding Nvidia and Asus boards unless theres a clear advantage to stick with them - not SLI.
I believe I tried the windows drivers, and they didn't work.

I also tried disabling everything that you indicated and it still didn't work.

After my original post though my ethernet did start working.. sort of. I put in an old ethernet pci add in card I had, wrong length for my case it was so old!, and that worked. However the asthetics of the case were disturbing me so I pulled it out and then plugged the ethernet cable back into the mobo slots resigning myself to life without internet unless I installed a wireless add in card. However my ethernet started working magically! It continued working for about 4 months until I moved switching ISP's and routers in the process (forced to switch to telus and forced to use their dam gateway) and stopped working. I eventually threw in a wireless N add in card to go with my wireless N router - hooked up to my consoles for streaming video. I'm now connected to my internet wirelessly fine and my wireless media line fine.

Next time I upgrade however I will be avoiding Nvidia and Asus boards unless theres a clear advantage to stick with them - not SLI.

Posted 01/22/2008 03:36 AM   
Scroll To Top