Grim Fandango help Graphics Issue
  1 / 2    
Can some one help me. I installed Grim Fandango and after loading it past the cut scene/intro
the main charactor is in bars/lines.
also the game seems to crash not long in.

system specs.

Asus p5n32-e sli motherboard.
nvidia- Inno3d 8800 GTS 320MB OC.
2G Corsair DDR2 800 TWIN2X2.
Intel Core 2 duo E6600.
7200 RPM SATA - Samsung 160GB.
pionere Multiformat 18x DVD-RW.
Creative Sound Blaster 5.1.
Windows XP Home (service pack 2).
Can some one help me. I installed Grim Fandango and after loading it past the cut scene/intro

the main charactor is in bars/lines.

also the game seems to crash not long in.

system specs.

Asus p5n32-e sli motherboard.

nvidia- Inno3d 8800 GTS 320MB OC.

2G Corsair DDR2 800 TWIN2X2.

Intel Core 2 duo E6600.

7200 RPM SATA - Samsung 160GB.

pionere Multiformat 18x DVD-RW.

Creative Sound Blaster 5.1.

Windows XP Home (service pack 2).

Posted 07/11/2007 12:05 PM   
Did you patch the game to the latest version? This is needed to fix various problems on modern hardware.
Did you patch the game to the latest version? This is needed to fix various problems on modern hardware.

Posted 07/11/2007 03:01 PM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 12 2007, 01:01 AM']Did you patch the game to the latest version?  This is needed to fix various problems on modern hardware.
[right][snapback]221315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yup, infact the patch came with the game. Its a rerelease.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 12 2007, 01:01 AM']Did you patch the game to the latest version?  This is needed to fix various problems on modern hardware.

[snapback]221315[/snapback]

Yup, infact the patch came with the game. Its a rerelease.

Posted 07/12/2007 09:10 AM   
[quote name='vivaldi' date='Jul 12 2007, 09:10 AM']Yup, infact the patch came with the game. Its a rerelease.
[right][snapback]221690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Have you tried reinstalling drivers?

Anyhoo, its a widely known fact tht G80 gpu's have problems with older games.

Also, try to play with different graphic options (if not in-game, then in control panel)...
[quote name='vivaldi' date='Jul 12 2007, 09:10 AM']Yup, infact the patch came with the game. Its a rerelease.

[snapback]221690[/snapback]

Have you tried reinstalling drivers?

Anyhoo, its a widely known fact tht G80 gpu's have problems with older games.

Also, try to play with different graphic options (if not in-game, then in control panel)...

660GTX
i5 3300 @ 3.0Ghz
8GB RAM

Posted 07/12/2007 06:57 PM   
I've been inspired to find my Grim Fandango disk to test it out and hopefully to play it again :) . The installer is not working on my system so I am having some troubles just getting started. Running the game exe directly (in win98 compatibility mode) I can get the game started.

The character (Manny) is rendered correctly, and everything looks normal.

For me the game is crashing when I go into the garage with the cutscene of the car racing past. This could be because I have not installed the game properly.

So basically there should be only 2 things which you need to do to run this game.
1) Install the patch
2) Set the compatability mode to "Windows 98"

I don't know if this helps but it's as good as I can do for now.
I've been inspired to find my Grim Fandango disk to test it out and hopefully to play it again :) . The installer is not working on my system so I am having some troubles just getting started. Running the game exe directly (in win98 compatibility mode) I can get the game started.

For me the game is crashing when I go into the garage with the cutscene of the car racing past. This could be because I have not installed the game properly.

So basically there should be only 2 things which you need to do to run this game.

1) Install the patch

Posted 07/13/2007 12:00 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:00 AM']I've been inspired to find my Grim Fandango disk to test it out and hopefully to play it again :)  . The installer is not working on my system so I am having some troubles just getting started.  Running the game exe directly (in win98 compatibility mode) I can get the game started. 

For me the game is crashing when I go into the garage with the cutscene of the car racing past.  This could be because I have not installed the game properly. 

1) Install the patch

[right][snapback]222035[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I tried all of those methods, compatabiltity mode helps greatly but the only thing that fixed the renderig issue was runnig it in window mode, but then i crashed anyway lol.
i have high hopes for the next driver release this mounth that will apparently fix heaps of 8800 series issues.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:00 AM']I've been inspired to find my Grim Fandango disk to test it out and hopefully to play it again :)  . The installer is not working on my system so I am having some troubles just getting started.  Running the game exe directly (in win98 compatibility mode) I can get the game started. 

For me the game is crashing when I go into the garage with the cutscene of the car racing past.  This could be because I have not installed the game properly. 

1) Install the patch

[snapback]222035[/snapback]

I tried all of those methods, compatabiltity mode helps greatly but the only thing that fixed the renderig issue was runnig it in window mode, but then i crashed anyway lol.

i have high hopes for the next driver release this mounth that will apparently fix heaps of 8800 series issues.

Posted 07/13/2007 12:31 AM   
I'm still trying to find which registry keys I need to manually install the game. In my search for more information I found something which might help you. Apparently antialiasing can mess up the character with only parts of him appearing. Check the stickied threads on the lucasarts forums.

[url="http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236"]http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236[/url]
I'm still trying to find which registry keys I need to manually install the game. In my search for more information I found something which might help you. Apparently antialiasing can mess up the character with only parts of him appearing. Check the stickied threads on the lucasarts forums.

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

Posted 07/13/2007 01:54 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:54 AM']I'm still trying to find which registry keys I need to manually install the game.  In my search for more information I found something which might help you.  Apparently antialiasing can mess up the character with only parts of him appearing.  Check the stickied threads on the lucasarts forums.

[url="http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236"]http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236[/url]
[right][snapback]222062[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats true, but i dont force AA.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:54 AM']I'm still trying to find which registry keys I need to manually install the game.  In my search for more information I found something which might help you.  Apparently antialiasing can mess up the character with only parts of him appearing.  Check the stickied threads on the lucasarts forums.

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

[snapback]222062[/snapback]

Thats true, but i dont force AA.

Posted 07/13/2007 09:39 AM   
I managed to reproduce the lines through Manny. By going into the game options and disabling 3d accelleration you will get him looking normal. This is one game where 3d accelleration will not be much benefit, even with the patch some people are needing to slow down the CPU to be able to finish some of the puzzles. So the slower it runs the better.

I also found my crashing is because the cd is old and scratched up. You have a newer cd so this might not be your problem. Although try copying the cd into the games installed directory. There is no need to crack the game to run without the cd, only need to add a new string value in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0 (good_times=true)

I spent so long getting this installed that I've only managed to actually play for about half an hour. If the crashing comes back again then I'll edit this post.
**edit: its still crashing. Seems to be crashing at the start of the cut scenes. Still not sure as to whether it's from my dodgy install. Most probably it is the graphic settings. Getting late, will try again tomorrow.
I managed to reproduce the lines through Manny. By going into the game options and disabling 3d accelleration you will get him looking normal. This is one game where 3d accelleration will not be much benefit, even with the patch some people are needing to slow down the CPU to be able to finish some of the puzzles. So the slower it runs the better.

I also found my crashing is because the cd is old and scratched up. You have a newer cd so this might not be your problem. Although try copying the cd into the games installed directory. There is no need to crack the game to run without the cd, only need to add a new string value in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0 (good_times=true)

I spent so long getting this installed that I've only managed to actually play for about half an hour. If the crashing comes back again then I'll edit this post.

**edit: its still crashing. Seems to be crashing at the start of the cut scenes. Still not sure as to whether it's from my dodgy install. Most probably it is the graphic settings. Getting late, will try again tomorrow.

Posted 07/13/2007 10:30 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:30 PM']I managed to reproduce the lines through Manny.  By going into the game options and disabling 3d accelleration you will get him looking normal.  This is one game where 3d accelleration will not be much benefit, even with the patch some people are needing to slow down the CPU to be able to finish some of the puzzles.  So the slower it runs the better.

I also found my crashing is because the cd is old and scratched up.  You have a newer cd so this might not be your problem.  Although try copying the cd into the games installed directory.  There is no need to crack the game to run without the cd, only need to add a new string value in the registry:

I spent so long getting this installed that I've only managed to actually play for about half an hour.  If the crashing comes back again then I'll edit this post.
**edit: its still crashing.  Seems to be crashing at the start of the cut scenes.  Still not sure as to whether it's from my dodgy install.  Most probably it is the graphic settings.  Getting late, will try again tomorrow.
[right][snapback]222137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol for me 3d accelleration actually spreads manny across the whole screen in lines
disableing it makes him just look liny, if that makes any sense. but i found the playing the game windowed gives me no graphical issue, also i have also heard
of needing to slow the prossor for the puzzles, for this it is common to use cpu killer.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:30 PM']I managed to reproduce the lines through Manny.  By going into the game options and disabling 3d accelleration you will get him looking normal.  This is one game where 3d accelleration will not be much benefit, even with the patch some people are needing to slow down the CPU to be able to finish some of the puzzles.  So the slower it runs the better.

I also found my crashing is because the cd is old and scratched up.  You have a newer cd so this might not be your problem.  Although try copying the cd into the games installed directory.  There is no need to crack the game to run without the cd, only need to add a new string value in the registry:

I spent so long getting this installed that I've only managed to actually play for about half an hour.  If the crashing comes back again then I'll edit this post.

**edit: its still crashing.  Seems to be crashing at the start of the cut scenes.  Still not sure as to whether it's from my dodgy install.  Most probably it is the graphic settings.  Getting late, will try again tomorrow.

[snapback]222137[/snapback]

lol for me 3d accelleration actually spreads manny across the whole screen in lines

disableing it makes him just look liny, if that makes any sense. but i found the playing the game windowed gives me no graphical issue, also i have also heard

of needing to slow the prossor for the puzzles, for this it is common to use cpu killer.

Posted 07/14/2007 02:52 AM   
I've also recently had the urge to play through Grim Fandango again. I've also experienced the same problem with on my 8800GTX when 3D acceleration is turned on - all 3D characters are split into lines. Sometimes just the top or bottom half, sometimes the whole character depending on the scene.

I have also investigated the Lucasforums, including patching, anti-aliasing issues etc but there was nothing there that helped this particular problem.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't played the game but is considering doing so, don't be deterred if a solution is never found for this issue - the game is is really not much worse off with 3D acceleration disabled. Playing it through again, I feel nostalgic about days when great storyline and great characters were valued as much as, if not, more than graphics and gameplay gimmicks. Most modern adventure games are forgettable once we're done with them, but the fact that almost a decade on many people still look to play Grim Fandango is a testament to it's sheer quality.
I've also recently had the urge to play through Grim Fandango again. I've also experienced the same problem with on my 8800GTX when 3D acceleration is turned on - all 3D characters are split into lines. Sometimes just the top or bottom half, sometimes the whole character depending on the scene.

I have also investigated the Lucasforums, including patching, anti-aliasing issues etc but there was nothing there that helped this particular problem.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't played the game but is considering doing so, don't be deterred if a solution is never found for this issue - the game is is really not much worse off with 3D acceleration disabled. Playing it through again, I feel nostalgic about days when great storyline and great characters were valued as much as, if not, more than graphics and gameplay gimmicks. Most modern adventure games are forgettable once we're done with them, but the fact that almost a decade on many people still look to play Grim Fandango is a testament to it's sheer quality.

Posted 07/15/2007 07:38 AM   
LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY DO EXACTLY WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW I HELPED MANY PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM (this is from a post i written)

read carefully any one who has crashes (i.e:blue screes from playing a game for 30 min to 1 hr) i have finally found the answere to the crash after searching for 2 weeks
(the problem is from the heat of the GPU this is comon with EVGA cards when it crashes it will tell u nv4_disp.dll etc.) just do what is written bellow (this is also for any one with a problem even people that dont own a EVGA any one else with a 8800 can fix it with these steps ^_^

READ CARFULLY:
do exactly what ill tell u to do.This is normally for people who (!) AREN'T (!) using liqued cooling on the graphic cards (!)

1.download driver cleaner pro (i downloaded mine from mininova.com) (install it)

2.download the a 8 series driver from EVGA.com not nvidia.com evga has the 162.18 the nvidia website has the old version (!) (DONT INSTALL IT NOW) (!)

(uninstall the current driver if u have one from the controlpanel only uninstal the displaydriver nothing else)

3.download nTUNE from the nvidia website or evga website
(well the problem with the old GPU driver from NVIDIA.com that u cant control the fan box in the ntune controlpanel)

4.restart the pc and go to safe mode by pressing F8

5.run drivercleaner pro and do the following (warning dont run in normal mode only safe mode)

A . click on the arrow and find nVidia (only nVidia) and tick the (select multipel cleaning filters) then click ADD ... wait for 6 seconds , when it finishes close it then
restart

6. in normal mode install the 8 series driver then restart

7.go to startmenu > NVIDIA COPARATIONS > nvidia controlpanel > controlpanel

8.extend the preformance TAB and click on adjust GPU settings > click on direct fan control then drag the (thing) to the end (99%)
LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY DO EXACTLY WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW I HELPED MANY PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM (this is from a post i written)

read carefully any one who has crashes (i.e:blue screes from playing a game for 30 min to 1 hr) i have finally found the answere to the crash after searching for 2 weeks

(the problem is from the heat of the GPU this is comon with EVGA cards when it crashes it will tell u nv4_disp.dll etc.) just do what is written bellow (this is also for any one with a problem even people that dont own a EVGA any one else with a 8800 can fix it with these steps ^_^

READ CARFULLY:

do exactly what ill tell u to do.This is normally for people who (!) AREN'T (!) using liqued cooling on the graphic cards (!)

1.download driver cleaner pro (i downloaded mine from mininova.com) (install it)

2.download the a 8 series driver from EVGA.com not nvidia.com evga has the 162.18 the nvidia website has the old version (!) (DONT INSTALL IT NOW) (!)

(uninstall the current driver if u have one from the controlpanel only uninstal the displaydriver nothing else)

3.download nTUNE from the nvidia website or evga website

(well the problem with the old GPU driver from NVIDIA.com that u cant control the fan box in the ntune controlpanel)

4.restart the pc and go to safe mode by pressing F8

5.run drivercleaner pro and do the following (warning dont run in normal mode only safe mode)

A . click on the arrow and find nVidia (only nVidia) and tick the (select multipel cleaning filters) then click ADD ... wait for 6 seconds , when it finishes close it then

restart

6. in normal mode install the 8 series driver then restart

7.go to startmenu > NVIDIA COPARATIONS > nvidia controlpanel > controlpanel

8.extend the preformance TAB and click on adjust GPU settings > click on direct fan control then drag the (thing) to the end (99%)

Posted 07/15/2007 01:44 PM   
kewl,
this looks handy and im sure will deal with crashing issues.
but the main issue is to do with graphics coming up bad.
thax for that though.
kewl,

this looks handy and im sure will deal with crashing issues.

but the main issue is to do with graphics coming up bad.

thax for that though.

Posted 07/15/2007 02:16 PM   
8800_CRASHslover is spamming that same message accross all the forums. His fix is appropriate for hardware related overheating problems but will not help with the crashes in Grim Fandango.

That said, I still didn't find any solution. With 3d acceleration disabled the game is playable, just needing to save often in case of a crash.
8800_CRASHslover is spamming that same message accross all the forums. His fix is appropriate for hardware related overheating problems but will not help with the crashes in Grim Fandango.

That said, I still didn't find any solution. With 3d acceleration disabled the game is playable, just needing to save often in case of a crash.

Posted 07/15/2007 04:32 PM   
i was about half way through grim on my old 6800xt card and put in two 7600gt(s) a while back. It wouldnt run at all so i quit and watched the end on youtube...lol.
i was about half way through grim on my old 6800xt card and put in two 7600gt(s) a while back. It wouldnt run at all so i quit and watched the end on youtube...lol.

Posted 07/15/2007 06:01 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top