How to fix Various Control Panel Issues
  1 / 4    
[b]Q1. I installed the latest drivers for my video card and now i can't access the control panel in Vista or XP
[/b]

A. This is due to the installer not registering the dll files that make up the control panel. you can either request a fixed inf from me, or you can attempt to fix it yourself by adding the following to the inf, then reinstalling the driver

the following goes in the nv.controlpanelsettings portion of the inf file.

[code]
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:4,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvdisps.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:5,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvgames.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:6,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmccss.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:7,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmobls.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:8,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvvitvs.dll"
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:9,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvwss.dll"
[/code]

[b]Q2. After installing the drivers, the new cp is empty.[/b]

A. this can be related to the first issue, but is more likely the result of the nvidia driver service not being set to start automatically in most cases.

to fix this, make sure the following sections in the inf are set as written

[code]
[nv4_Generic_Service_Inst]
ServiceType    = 1              ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType      = 1              ; SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
ErrorControl   = 0              ; SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE
LoadOrderGroup = Video
ServiceBinary  = %12%\nv4_mini.sys
AddReg         = nv4_Generic_Service_AddReg
[/code]
[code]
[nv_NVSVC_Inst]
DisplayName    = %NVSVC.name%
Description    = %NVSVC.desc%
ServiceType    = 16             ; SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
StartType      = 2              ; SERVICE_AUTO_START
ErrorControl   = 1              ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary  = %11%\nvsvc32.exe
[/code]

[b]Q3. I can't open up the control panel after installing the latest nforce drivers.[/b]

ok, heres a learning experience for you, the nforce drivers are CHIPSET drivers, and chipset drivers are installed before video drivers, [u][b]ALWAYS[/b][/u], simply put, just uninstall the video drivers, and reinstall them. this should fix the issue.

[b]Q4. my control panel doesn't work, i installed the latest drivers but didn't like them so went back to an older version.[/b]

This happens because the uninstall tool does not remove all of the driver properly, it usually leave the following files
in windows/system32/drivers
nv4_mini.sys
in windows/system32
nvcplui.exe
(there are some other files that may be left as well but in most cases it will tell you to overwrite them so it shouldn't matter.)

all you really need to remove is the nvcplui.exe to reinstall and fix it.

[b]Q5. am i able to replace the old version of sedona cp with the new versin with the menu on the left.[/b]

Yes you are, i will update this post later with the how to.
Q1. I installed the latest drivers for my video card and now i can't access the control panel in Vista or XP

A. This is due to the installer not registering the dll files that make up the control panel. you can either request a fixed inf from me, or you can attempt to fix it yourself by adding the following to the inf, then reinstalling the driver

the following goes in the nv.controlpanelsettings portion of the inf file.

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:4,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvdisps.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:5,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvgames.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:6,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmccss.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:7,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmobls.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:8,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvvitvs.dll"

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:9,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvwss.dll"

Q2. After installing the drivers, the new cp is empty.

A. this can be related to the first issue, but is more likely the result of the nvidia driver service not being set to start automatically in most cases.

to fix this, make sure the following sections in the inf are set as written

[nv4_Generic_Service_Inst]

ServiceType    = 1              ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER

StartType      = 1              ; SERVICE_SYSTEM_START

ErrorControl   = 0              ; SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE

LoadOrderGroup = Video

ServiceBinary  = %12%\nv4_mini.sys

AddReg         = nv4_Generic_Service_AddReg

[nv_NVSVC_Inst]

DisplayName    = %NVSVC.name%

Description    = %NVSVC.desc%

ServiceType    = 16             ; SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

StartType      = 2              ; SERVICE_AUTO_START

ErrorControl   = 1              ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL

ServiceBinary  = %11%\nvsvc32.exe

Q3. I can't open up the control panel after installing the latest nforce drivers.

ok, heres a learning experience for you, the nforce drivers are CHIPSET drivers, and chipset drivers are installed before video drivers, ALWAYS, simply put, just uninstall the video drivers, and reinstall them. this should fix the issue.

Q4. my control panel doesn't work, i installed the latest drivers but didn't like them so went back to an older version.

This happens because the uninstall tool does not remove all of the driver properly, it usually leave the following files

in windows/system32/drivers

nv4_mini.sys

in windows/system32

nvcplui.exe

(there are some other files that may be left as well but in most cases it will tell you to overwrite them so it shouldn't matter.)

all you really need to remove is the nvcplui.exe to reinstall and fix it.

Q5. am i able to replace the old version of sedona cp with the new versin with the menu on the left.

Yes you are, i will update this post later with the how to.

Posted 07/03/2007 10:22 AM   
I have the problem mentioned in Q1. However, both attempts at the suggested resolution of putting copy-pasting those lines into the inf file under nv_controlpanelsettings has resulted in the driver installer freezing. If you could send me a fixed inf to try it with or point out how I may fix the freezing issue, I would be delighted.
I have the problem mentioned in Q1. However, both attempts at the suggested resolution of putting copy-pasting those lines into the inf file under nv_controlpanelsettings has resulted in the driver installer freezing. If you could send me a fixed inf to try it with or point out how I may fix the freezing issue, I would be delighted.

Posted 08/01/2007 01:15 PM   
installatin freezes usually occur during the hardwares initialisation, so try installing in safe mode instead.
installatin freezes usually occur during the hardwares initialisation, so try installing in safe mode instead.

Posted 08/01/2007 03:28 PM   
squall_leonhart,
Thanks for the info. The first one fixed my problem. I had uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled these drivers many times, but that one did it.
Wow, nVidia really needs to get their sh!t together. I have never had problems like these a while back. I also had the flatpanel scaling problem on my HTPC that they finally fixed.
I think they are concentrating too much on Vista drivers these days.
squall_leonhart,

Thanks for the info. The first one fixed my problem. I had uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled these drivers many times, but that one did it.

Wow, nVidia really needs to get their sh!t together. I have never had problems like these a while back. I also had the flatpanel scaling problem on my HTPC that they finally fixed.

I think they are concentrating too much on Vista drivers these days.

Posted 08/12/2007 04:25 PM   
Hi squall_leonhart,
I have a nforce 680i, but the raid configuration options in the control panel are not showing up (in the storage submenu I only have view config and delete array, instead of migrate/edit/etc... any specific setting (any HKLM/...something/.. lines I need to add the nv4_disp.inf file to make this work?
best regards,
Olv
Hi squall_leonhart,

I have a nforce 680i, but the raid configuration options in the control panel are not showing up (in the storage submenu I only have view config and delete array, instead of migrate/edit/etc... any specific setting (any HKLM/...something/.. lines I need to add the nv4_disp.inf file to make this work?

best regards,

Olv

Posted 08/26/2007 08:37 PM   
I hate to resurrect old threads like this but I figured it would be the less of two evils to just do it rather than creating a new one. Anyways, I recently have installed the new 163.44 beta drivers and once I installed them I couldn't get the nvidia control panel working again. I attempted to follow the instructions in Q1 but I'm still a little confused as to where I edit this nv.controlpanelsettings file.... Could anyone give me a hand? I'm kinda new to this.. I did however make sure that I uninstalled and cleaned all traces from my old drivers out before I installed the new ones.
I hate to resurrect old threads like this but I figured it would be the less of two evils to just do it rather than creating a new one. Anyways, I recently have installed the new 163.44 beta drivers and once I installed them I couldn't get the nvidia control panel working again. I attempted to follow the instructions in Q1 but I'm still a little confused as to where I edit this nv.controlpanelsettings file.... Could anyone give me a hand? I'm kinda new to this.. I did however make sure that I uninstalled and cleaned all traces from my old drivers out before I installed the new ones.

Posted 08/27/2007 04:15 AM   
i kno this is an old thread (sorry) but u seem to be exactly the guy i have been looking for :P

i had an e6600 at 3ghz (1:1 fsb ram ratio) and i got a q6600 and now if i push it to 3ghz i have the not loading/blanck cp issues, no driver changes etc, its only when i overclock, i have been told it could be because im on the 650i chipset not the 680, i would greatly appreciate your input.

cheers
i kno this is an old thread (sorry) but u seem to be exactly the guy i have been looking for :P

i had an e6600 at 3ghz (1:1 fsb ram ratio) and i got a q6600 and now if i push it to 3ghz i have the not loading/blanck cp issues, no driver changes etc, its only when i overclock, i have been told it could be because im on the 650i chipset not the 680, i would greatly appreciate your input.

cheers

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 09/29/2007 11:52 AM   
The INF lines fixed my problem too.

Thanks for posting this info.
The INF lines fixed my problem too.

Posted 09/29/2007 07:24 PM   
[quote name='Gungadin' date='Sep 29 2007, 11:24 AM']The INF lines fixed my problem too.

[right][snapback]258539[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've tried everything, even cleaning out the entire driver and reinstalling then trying the suggestions here.

It still shows in the task bar but when I go to open it so I can change the anti-aliasing settings, it asks to pick which mode I want, then I pick it and the screen blips and nothing opens. It's crashing the second it opens it looks like.

Is there any way to manually change the AA setting without using the control panel?

I can't stand playing games with no AA. Not all games give an option to change the AA settings. Help! Thanks!
[quote name='Gungadin' date='Sep 29 2007, 11:24 AM']The INF lines fixed my problem too.

[snapback]258539[/snapback]

I've tried everything, even cleaning out the entire driver and reinstalling then trying the suggestions here.

It still shows in the task bar but when I go to open it so I can change the anti-aliasing settings, it asks to pick which mode I want, then I pick it and the screen blips and nothing opens. It's crashing the second it opens it looks like.

Is there any way to manually change the AA setting without using the control panel?

I can't stand playing games with no AA. Not all games give an option to change the AA settings. Help! Thanks!

Posted 09/29/2007 11:31 PM   
Was wondering if anyone can help me, where can I find nv.controlpanelsettings

And if I edit it and reinstall, won't it replace that file? Also, I was wondering if I could please have the fixed inf file.

Thanks.
Was wondering if anyone can help me, where can I find nv.controlpanelsettings

And if I edit it and reinstall, won't it replace that file? Also, I was wondering if I could please have the fixed inf file.

Thanks.

Posted 10/02/2007 03:18 AM   
please tell me someone, where is that nv.controlpanelsettings.inf file? :(
i search, but nothing...
please tell me someone, where is that nv.controlpanelsettings.inf file? :(

i search, but nothing...

Posted 10/02/2007 08:51 PM   
[quote name='Invisible' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:51 AM']please tell me someone, where is that nv.controlpanelsettings.inf file? :(
i search, but nothing...
[right][snapback]259754[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Open inf file ->sroll the mouse cursor down (the nv you need stand there at nearby the end of this inf list). But i dont know whether paste these Code at the end of the portion or the begining of HKLM..... Pls check out yourself :">
[quote name='Invisible' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:51 AM']please tell me someone, where is that nv.controlpanelsettings.inf file? :(

i search, but nothing...

[snapback]259754[/snapback]

Open inf file ->sroll the mouse cursor down (the nv you need stand there at nearby the end of this inf list). But i dont know whether paste these Code at the end of the portion or the begining of HKLM..... Pls check out yourself :">

Posted 10/05/2007 06:20 AM   
My problem as Q1. I added the lines to the inf file & saved the changes, then your instructions are to "reinstall the drivers", but this rewrites the inf file back to original, how do I reinstall the driver & keep the changes to the inf file?

Any help would be appreciated.
My problem as Q1. I added the lines to the inf file & saved the changes, then your instructions are to "reinstall the drivers", but this rewrites the inf file back to original, how do I reinstall the driver & keep the changes to the inf file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 10/06/2007 12:56 AM   
[quote name='tyramis' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:20 PM']Open inf file ->sroll the mouse cursor down (the nv you need stand there at nearby the end of this inf list). But i dont know whether paste these Code at the end of the portion or the begining of HKLM..... Pls check out yourself :">
[right][snapback]260854[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But what folder is it in?
[quote name='tyramis' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:20 PM']Open inf file ->sroll the mouse cursor down (the nv you need stand there at nearby the end of this inf list). But i dont know whether paste these Code at the end of the portion or the begining of HKLM..... Pls check out yourself :">

[snapback]260854[/snapback]

But what folder is it in?

Posted 10/06/2007 04:30 AM   
[quote name='DesertFox' date='Oct 5 2007, 11:30 PM']But what folder is it in?
[right][snapback]261219[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Open up your windows explore & go to your C drive, you should see an Nvidia folder;

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/treeview.png[/img]

In this folder you may find more than one driver folder, look for the most recent that coincides with the driver version (163.71)

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/folderview.png[/img]

Click on this folder and keep clicking through them until you get to last one with all the files inside, then scroll down to the one with .inf as the file type;

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/infview.png[/img]

If needs/ask for a program to open it, choose notepad, then open the file;

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/docview.png[/img]

At the top of notepad, click on the Edit tab, choose Find & type in controlpanelsettings hit enter and then hit F3 until you get to this section;

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/nvcpview.png[/img]

The copy & paste the new code under the heading;

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/MajorEd/gfx/editedview.png[/img]

I hope this helps you, it didn't help me, but I followed the instructions the best I could. If I messed up along the way, please someone tell me so I can get mine working.

P.S. and next time use photo's, it helps the rest of us find things faster.
[quote name='DesertFox' date='Oct 5 2007, 11:30 PM']But what folder is it in?

[snapback]261219[/snapback]

Open up your windows explore & go to your C drive, you should see an Nvidia folder;

In this folder you may find more than one driver folder, look for the most recent that coincides with the driver version (163.71)

Click on this folder and keep clicking through them until you get to last one with all the files inside, then scroll down to the one with .inf as the file type;

If needs/ask for a program to open it, choose notepad, then open the file;

At the top of notepad, click on the Edit tab, choose Find & type in controlpanelsettings hit enter and then hit F3 until you get to this section;

The copy & paste the new code under the heading;

I hope this helps you, it didn't help me, but I followed the instructions the best I could. If I messed up along the way, please someone tell me so I can get mine working.

P.S. and next time use photo's, it helps the rest of us find things faster.

Posted 10/06/2007 01:28 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top