Nvlddmkm driver crash... Possible Solution!
  1 / 4    
Hi everyone. First of all, I am not entirely sure whether this procedure has been tried before. I did a lot of searching on this problem and I have not seen any posts on any forum that mentioned a real solution for the nvlddmkm.sys driver crash problem that so many of us seem to have.

So, if this has been discussed/tried before and it hasn't worked for everyone, sorry, i didn't know, lol. If I am the first to bring this to light, then I hope you all will give it a try to see whether this solution works for more than just myself.

I found a way to pretty much stop the forceware driver from crashing in Vista. (which would cause the screen to go black for a few seconds, and/or crash whatever game i'm in, such as Oblivion, Hl2, Hitman, etc. Or even cause a nasty BSOD.)

Now before I go into this, I want to give my computer specs, to help put things in perspective.

First off, I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, on:
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz CPU
2GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM SLi Ready E.P.P. ready (EPP is disabled)
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTX Superclocked

Now, like most of you, I started getting this crashes after installing some of the latest versions of their Forceware drivers, such as the 158.18, 158.24, and one of those versions that came right before the 158.18.

Now... what I have done to quell these crashes is...

I went to the control panel and open up the programs list, where you can uninstall and install progs. I uninstalled my forceware drivers. Now I did NOT restart when it prompted me to.

Next, I did an advanced search on my C:\ drive (or whatever drive contains Vista) and I searched for the driver, "nvlddmkm". Make sure you checked the box where it asks if you want to search hidden files and such.
Several files with that name came up in the search. There were about 8-12 files. They are located in several different places. Many of the files end in ".sy_" and the other few will of course end in ".sys".

Of course some of these files are still being used by Vista because they are the RTM drivers that shipped with Vista. The files that can be deleted, should be deleted. At least this is what I did. I got rid of the nvlddmkm.sys file that seemed to be left over from the uninstall. (Now I know what you are thinking, and let me say that that .sys file that I just mentioned WAS still there even after I restarted to complete the driver uninstall process. The bum file wont go away on its own.)
You can also look at the dates on those files and see exactly which ones are the alleged culprits, because of the recent dates that should appear. Once those were trashed and deleted.

I then deleted all my unpacked driver installation files that I still had on my computer. (Note: Some of those ".sy_" files were located in those installation folders as well, but I got rid of them anyways to be thorough.)

Once I did all of that, I downloaded a fresh copy of the 100.54 forceware drivers.
Once it was on my computer, I went to the properties of My Computer and opened up the Device Manager and then completely uninstalled my video card. I restarted and let Vista install its basic drivers, then I installed those 100.54 drivers I dl'ed and then of course restarted again.

I have been playing Hitman for about a day now, and there was only one minor hiccup in the game, but it was no where near as bad as what I had been going through. Honestly, I am not even sure if that little hiccup in the game was even related to all the problems before.

I had of course tried several different aproaches before happening upon what I have just descibed and this final process seemed to actually work.

Like I said before, I dont know if this "possible solution" has already been discussed or not before, but there it is anyways. I would ask that if you havn't tried this, to try it now. I would like to see how it works for other people having this problem. I am about to go play Medieval 2 TW, and HL2: Ep1, and Oblivion to see whether they hold up as well as Hitman: Blood Money has. I will post again to let yall know how they did.

If you do try this out, please post to let me and others know whether it worked for you or not. I know this has been a very crippling problem for a lot of Geforce users, and I am hoping this will give some relief. Now I am off to test some more games.

**UPDATE**
Okay, I just tried out Oblivion, HL2: ep1, and Medieval 2 TW. Oblivion runs perfectly now, Hl2 had some graphical glitches, like rainbow looking textures and blinking lines on the screen, but the screen never went black nor did the game crash. Medieval 2 TW had some graphical glitches as well, but not as many as before, and after running it in a battle for a while the game did crash with an "unspecified error". BUT, i did not get the problem that I had before where the game would freeze and go black for 5-10 seconds at a time, 20 or 30 times and then finally crash, or blue screen. So there does seem to be some relief with this method/approach. I hope others can get the same results as me.
Hi everyone. First of all, I am not entirely sure whether this procedure has been tried before. I did a lot of searching on this problem and I have not seen any posts on any forum that mentioned a real solution for the nvlddmkm.sys driver crash problem that so many of us seem to have.

So, if this has been discussed/tried before and it hasn't worked for everyone, sorry, i didn't know, lol. If I am the first to bring this to light, then I hope you all will give it a try to see whether this solution works for more than just myself.

I found a way to pretty much stop the forceware driver from crashing in Vista. (which would cause the screen to go black for a few seconds, and/or crash whatever game i'm in, such as Oblivion, Hl2, Hitman, etc. Or even cause a nasty BSOD.)

Now before I go into this, I want to give my computer specs, to help put things in perspective.

First off, I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, on:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz CPU

2GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM SLi Ready E.P.P. ready (EPP is disabled)

eVGA Geforce 7900 GTX Superclocked

Now, like most of you, I started getting this crashes after installing some of the latest versions of their Forceware drivers, such as the 158.18, 158.24, and one of those versions that came right before the 158.18.

Now... what I have done to quell these crashes is...

I went to the control panel and open up the programs list, where you can uninstall and install progs. I uninstalled my forceware drivers. Now I did NOT restart when it prompted me to.

Next, I did an advanced search on my C:\ drive (or whatever drive contains Vista) and I searched for the driver, "nvlddmkm". Make sure you checked the box where it asks if you want to search hidden files and such.

Several files with that name came up in the search. There were about 8-12 files. They are located in several different places. Many of the files end in ".sy_" and the other few will of course end in ".sys".

Of course some of these files are still being used by Vista because they are the RTM drivers that shipped with Vista. The files that can be deleted, should be deleted. At least this is what I did. I got rid of the nvlddmkm.sys file that seemed to be left over from the uninstall. (Now I know what you are thinking, and let me say that that .sys file that I just mentioned WAS still there even after I restarted to complete the driver uninstall process. The bum file wont go away on its own.)

You can also look at the dates on those files and see exactly which ones are the alleged culprits, because of the recent dates that should appear. Once those were trashed and deleted.

I then deleted all my unpacked driver installation files that I still had on my computer. (Note: Some of those ".sy_" files were located in those installation folders as well, but I got rid of them anyways to be thorough.)

Once I did all of that, I downloaded a fresh copy of the 100.54 forceware drivers.

Once it was on my computer, I went to the properties of My Computer and opened up the Device Manager and then completely uninstalled my video card. I restarted and let Vista install its basic drivers, then I installed those 100.54 drivers I dl'ed and then of course restarted again.

I have been playing Hitman for about a day now, and there was only one minor hiccup in the game, but it was no where near as bad as what I had been going through. Honestly, I am not even sure if that little hiccup in the game was even related to all the problems before.

I had of course tried several different aproaches before happening upon what I have just descibed and this final process seemed to actually work.

Like I said before, I dont know if this "possible solution" has already been discussed or not before, but there it is anyways. I would ask that if you havn't tried this, to try it now. I would like to see how it works for other people having this problem. I am about to go play Medieval 2 TW, and HL2: Ep1, and Oblivion to see whether they hold up as well as Hitman: Blood Money has. I will post again to let yall know how they did.

If you do try this out, please post to let me and others know whether it worked for you or not. I know this has been a very crippling problem for a lot of Geforce users, and I am hoping this will give some relief. Now I am off to test some more games.

**UPDATE**

Okay, I just tried out Oblivion, HL2: ep1, and Medieval 2 TW. Oblivion runs perfectly now, Hl2 had some graphical glitches, like rainbow looking textures and blinking lines on the screen, but the screen never went black nor did the game crash. Medieval 2 TW had some graphical glitches as well, but not as many as before, and after running it in a battle for a while the game did crash with an "unspecified error". BUT, i did not get the problem that I had before where the game would freeze and go black for 5-10 seconds at a time, 20 or 30 times and then finally crash, or blue screen. So there does seem to be some relief with this method/approach. I hope others can get the same results as me.

Posted 06/25/2007 04:45 AM   
Well hats off to you! Congrats on figuring out the work around. You are right it is that "nvlddmkm" file that keeps crashing the system every time. I tried installing the latest Forceware with no luck. Just hope they get it fixed cause I can't keep using old drivers forever...hehe.
Well hats off to you! Congrats on figuring out the work around. You are right it is that "nvlddmkm" file that keeps crashing the system every time. I tried installing the latest Forceware with no luck. Just hope they get it fixed cause I can't keep using old drivers forever...hehe.

Posted 08/04/2007 08:12 PM   
i hope to god that this works, i'm trying it now
i hope to god that this works, i'm trying it now

Once a man tried to water cool his PC by sticking a hosepipe through the CD drive.

Posted 08/05/2007 07:44 AM   
I have been suffering through this random display crash myself since I switched to Vista 32 bit last February 07. (full clean install, not upgrade) I have a single BFG Geforce 7800gtx PCi-E 256 card on a Gigabyte mobo. (NON SLI USER) The much hated NVLDDMKM error has misteriously reared its ugly head for me without any known prompting on many, many.....many occasions. I got by for about 2 months without it but one day it reappeared and always keeps coming back like a bad case of the herps. /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />

It has shown up at many differnet times and is very random. Sometimes after a cold start, sometimes after a day or so's use. Sometimes in a game or program, sometimes at the desktop with nothing running. Sometimes its just the "driver has crashed and recovered" notification with no noticeable issues while at other times I get the black flicker out of my monitors which then will always get worse with increasing occurance until the fatal BSOD error and full crash. /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

I think I have been through an unheard of 10 or so driver sets from NVIDIAper since last February and this past week was forced to try the latest beta drivers 163.67 after the driver crash had reappeared again. (why it comes and goes so randomly...is utterly bizzare) The newest drivers didn't help any as it just reappeared after about 30 minutes and started getting blackouts again. -- I run fine in safe mode however so as most think this has to only be driver related and is NOT a hardware or heat issue. I've never tried any of the dozen recommended remedies as after reading a few pages forward it always seems they never work..(pull ram, add ram, delete files, add files, copy this, paste that, expand it, slap it, beat it, smoke it, stand on your head, squat, face north, etc...) :wacko:

Each time I get the fatal blackouts and crash I will boot into safe mode with networking for internet access, delete my drivers (Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapters/then uninstall the drivers.) Then I look for the latest drivers issued for my card series and then install them either while in safe mode or install them right after I reboot to the normal desktop. Each time this has worked but only temporarily as eventually this #$@% error reappears...it could be a day later....it could be a month...just know it'll come! :angry:

This last time however I did the following, I pulled out my video card (a BFG 7800 GTX 256) which was in my PCE-E slot 1 (8x) and then installed another card I have (BFG 7800 GTX 512) into PCI-E slot 2 (16x) of my motherboard. I actually had to move over an IDE cable plug to from its slot 1 to 2 as well to accomodate the HUGE freaking card they are making these days! Anyway, I rebooted and just let VISTA AUTO recongize, AUTO search and AUTO install everything including the video drivers and wha-laa...no problems (for 3 hours now at least and I am doing a 1800mi sim test flight from Mexico City to New York over night to see how it will hold up running my flight sim for 8 hours straight.) /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Heres the kicker (and sorry for being so long winded kids!) All of my previous driver change ups I have always manually uninstalled and then manually installed all the drivers myself via the NVIDIAper website dowload. This time I HAD NOT previously uninstalled any drivers prior to my re-boot and I just let VISTA take care of things...and well... now its working OK!! (again,..at least for now.) /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Also, I looked at the drivers again in Control Panel / Device manager / Display Adapters / Nividia 7800gtx / Driver tab, then open DRIVER DETAILS and saw that all the drivers are listed as windows\system 32\ then driver name.. EXCEPT for the NVLDDMKM.sys which this time is now preceeded by the word "drivers" i.e. C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys . It wasn't listed like this ever before so I don't know what changed other than I switched PCI-E slots, changed cards (albiet very similar) and let VISTA AUTO INSTALL everything itself. -- maybe the DRIVER AUTO SEEK & AUTO INSTALL is another big key in this mystery. Make sence seeing how Vista is a bigger control freak than your girlfriend! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Hopefully Microsuck and Nvidiaper will get it fully ironed out one day because reading endless dead end post after dead end post (much like this one) really suck the life out of you and make you feel like choking a b---tch! /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> .... What ?
I have been suffering through this random display crash myself since I switched to Vista 32 bit last February 07. (full clean install, not upgrade) I have a single BFG Geforce 7800gtx PCi-E 256 card on a Gigabyte mobo. (NON SLI USER) The much hated NVLDDMKM error has misteriously reared its ugly head for me without any known prompting on many, many.....many occasions. I got by for about 2 months without it but one day it reappeared and always keeps coming back like a bad case of the herps. /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />

It has shown up at many differnet times and is very random. Sometimes after a cold start, sometimes after a day or so's use. Sometimes in a game or program, sometimes at the desktop with nothing running. Sometimes its just the "driver has crashed and recovered" notification with no noticeable issues while at other times I get the black flicker out of my monitors which then will always get worse with increasing occurance until the fatal BSOD error and full crash. /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

I think I have been through an unheard of 10 or so driver sets from NVIDIAper since last February and this past week was forced to try the latest beta drivers 163.67 after the driver crash had reappeared again. (why it comes and goes so randomly...is utterly bizzare) The newest drivers didn't help any as it just reappeared after about 30 minutes and started getting blackouts again. -- I run fine in safe mode however so as most think this has to only be driver related and is NOT a hardware or heat issue. I've never tried any of the dozen recommended remedies as after reading a few pages forward it always seems they never work..(pull ram, add ram, delete files, add files, copy this, paste that, expand it, slap it, beat it, smoke it, stand on your head, squat, face north, etc...) :wacko:

Each time I get the fatal blackouts and crash I will boot into safe mode with networking for internet access, delete my drivers (Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapters/then uninstall the drivers.) Then I look for the latest drivers issued for my card series and then install them either while in safe mode or install them right after I reboot to the normal desktop. Each time this has worked but only temporarily as eventually this #$@% error reappears...it could be a day later....it could be a month...just know it'll come! :angry:

This last time however I did the following, I pulled out my video card (a BFG 7800 GTX 256) which was in my PCE-E slot 1 (8x) and then installed another card I have (BFG 7800 GTX 512) into PCI-E slot 2 (16x) of my motherboard. I actually had to move over an IDE cable plug to from its slot 1 to 2 as well to accomodate the HUGE freaking card they are making these days! Anyway, I rebooted and just let VISTA AUTO recongize, AUTO search and AUTO install everything including the video drivers and wha-laa...no problems (for 3 hours now at least and I am doing a 1800mi sim test flight from Mexico City to New York over night to see how it will hold up running my flight sim for 8 hours straight.) /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Heres the kicker (and sorry for being so long winded kids!) All of my previous driver change ups I have always manually uninstalled and then manually installed all the drivers myself via the NVIDIAper website dowload. This time I HAD NOT previously uninstalled any drivers prior to my re-boot and I just let VISTA take care of things...and well... now its working OK!! (again,..at least for now.) /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Also, I looked at the drivers again in Control Panel / Device manager / Display Adapters / Nividia 7800gtx / Driver tab, then open DRIVER DETAILS and saw that all the drivers are listed as windows\system 32\ then driver name.. EXCEPT for the NVLDDMKM.sys which this time is now preceeded by the word "drivers" i.e. C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys . It wasn't listed like this ever before so I don't know what changed other than I switched PCI-E slots, changed cards (albiet very similar) and let VISTA AUTO INSTALL everything itself. -- maybe the DRIVER AUTO SEEK & AUTO INSTALL is another big key in this mystery. Make sence seeing how Vista is a bigger control freak than your girlfriend! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Hopefully Microsuck and Nvidiaper will get it fully ironed out one day because reading endless dead end post after dead end post (much like this one) really suck the life out of you and make you feel like choking a b---tch! /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> .... What ?

Posted 09/15/2007 08:32 AM   
This doesnt solve the problem for me.

I really hope Nvidia and Microsoft will work together to solve this problem.
I really feel like a idiot since i bought all the best hardware and Vista, and still this problem is prohibiting me from enjoying the PC in games, i get this error several times EVERY day.....

Nvidia.... FIX IT PLEASE!!
This doesnt solve the problem for me.

I really feel like a idiot since i bought all the best hardware and Vista, and still this problem is prohibiting me from enjoying the PC in games, i get this error several times EVERY day.....

Asus P5B Deluxe - E6600 Conroe
2x1024 OCZ PC6400 - Asus 8800 GTX
NorthQ Giant Reactor 1000W
300 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE
2x250 GB Samsung SP2504C RAID 0
XFI Xtremegamer - Antec NineHundred
Cooled By Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Posted 10/09/2007 08:11 AM   
[quote name='Mdj71' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:11 PM']This doesnt solve the problem for me.

[right][snapback]262422[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The system specs in your sig shows you have almost identical system to me. I am not getting this problem so you either have some faulty hardware or something not configured right.

I suggest to manually input your RAM settings in BIOS (voltage and speed). Leaving the RAM settings on AUTO does not work.
[quote name='Mdj71' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:11 PM']This doesnt solve the problem for me.

[snapback]262422[/snapback]

The system specs in your sig shows you have almost identical system to me. I am not getting this problem so you either have some faulty hardware or something not configured right.

I suggest to manually input your RAM settings in BIOS (voltage and speed). Leaving the RAM settings on AUTO does not work.

Posted 10/09/2007 10:29 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:29 AM']The system specs in your sig shows you have almost identical system to me.  I am not getting this problem so you either have some faulty hardware or something not configured right.

I suggest to manually input your RAM settings in BIOS (voltage and speed).  Leaving the RAM settings on AUTO does not work.
[right][snapback]262447[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Like most of you I having Nvlddmkm crashes. The fix that has worked for me was to plug my APC Back-UPS 1500 into a dedicated outlet with nothing else on the line.
No external Hard drives, no printer nothing but the monitor and the Computer tower. Since that was done I have not had a crash.
System specs
QX8700 oc to 3300
Nvidia 680i
2gigs Dominator 10000
2 8800GTX in SLI
2 150 Raptors
2 750 Seagates
PC Power & Cooling 1000
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:29 AM']The system specs in your sig shows you have almost identical system to me.  I am not getting this problem so you either have some faulty hardware or something not configured right.

I suggest to manually input your RAM settings in BIOS (voltage and speed).  Leaving the RAM settings on AUTO does not work.

[snapback]262447[/snapback]

Like most of you I having Nvlddmkm crashes. The fix that has worked for me was to plug my APC Back-UPS 1500 into a dedicated outlet with nothing else on the line.

No external Hard drives, no printer nothing but the monitor and the Computer tower. Since that was done I have not had a crash.

System specs

QX8700 oc to 3300

Nvidia 680i

2gigs Dominator 10000

2 8800GTX in SLI

2 150 Raptors

2 750 Seagates

PC Power & Cooling 1000

Posted 11/04/2007 05:03 AM   
Sorry guys,...Stickwulf is right..its hardware, not software....I too had the problem for months and tried everything including swapping graphics cards 3 times until i found what was failing RAM...it worked fine some of the time and in fact passed 9-12 hour sessions of MEMTEST....but they finally completely failed (thank God!) and it was only then that i was able to figure out what it was....since replacing both sticks of RAM my computer runs as stable and fast as i could hope....its not Vista or Nvidia (like I thought, and like you think)...if the software is bad, its bad for everyone not just a few.....too many people have a working system....it IS a hardware problem...could be video card, RAM, PSU, Mobo....and its probably FAILING..meaning that at times it works fine, making it hard to diagnose....XFX told me that assuming a correct install of Vista, correct install of new WHQL drivers and still TDR's, then its a hardware problem. They were right even though I argued like an ass with them.....start looking at your hardware if you want to resolve this issue......
Sorry guys,...Stickwulf is right..its hardware, not software....I too had the problem for months and tried everything including swapping graphics cards 3 times until i found what was failing RAM...it worked fine some of the time and in fact passed 9-12 hour sessions of MEMTEST....but they finally completely failed (thank God!) and it was only then that i was able to figure out what it was....since replacing both sticks of RAM my computer runs as stable and fast as i could hope....its not Vista or Nvidia (like I thought, and like you think)...if the software is bad, its bad for everyone not just a few.....too many people have a working system....it IS a hardware problem...could be video card, RAM, PSU, Mobo....and its probably FAILING..meaning that at times it works fine, making it hard to diagnose....XFX told me that assuming a correct install of Vista, correct install of new WHQL drivers and still TDR's, then its a hardware problem. They were right even though I argued like an ass with them.....start looking at your hardware if you want to resolve this issue......

Posted 11/04/2007 01:24 PM   
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 4 2007, 03:24 PM']Sorry guys,...Stickwulf is right..its hardware, not software....I too had the problem for months and tried everything including swapping graphics cards 3 times until i found what was failing RAM...it worked fine some of the time and in fact passed 9-12 hour sessions of MEMTEST....but they finally completely failed (thank God!) and it was only then that i was able to figure out what it was....since replacing both sticks of RAM my computer runs as stable and fast as i could hope....its not Vista or Nvidia (like I thought, and like you think)...if the software is bad, its bad for everyone not just a few.....too many people have a working system....it IS a hardware problem...could be video card, RAM, PSU, Mobo....and its probably FAILING..meaning that at times it works fine, making it hard to diagnose....XFX told me that assuming a correct install of Vista, correct install of new WHQL drivers and still TDR's, then its a hardware problem.  They were right even though I argued like an ass with them.....start looking at your hardware if you want to resolve this issue......
[right][snapback]274756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hmmm....
Intresting. Well i have both Vista x64 and XP 32bit installed. I can run what ever game under XP. But when running in Vista i endup with the TDR. So if it where hardware it should occur in either OS. I´m running 163.44 in XP and under Vista it varies from day to day currently.
In my case it has nothing to do with heat either. CPU is around 10-15C under load and the GPUs holds about the same. I have RMAd the MoBo three times (OK Now) the 8800GTX 4 times, seems ok now. Why do i believe it ok? well it works flawlessly under XP.

Oh, yes i´m OCíng. I tried my engineer edition(Intel seed) of the QX9650 at 5,1GHz, FSB 1333MHz and the ram(all 4GB, yes XP cant see all i know) at 1250MHz under XP. No problem at all. HW alone? i doubt it strongly.

So is it still only HW? at least not for me, but i think that the root cause lies in how the drivers call the HW and utilises the sub routines. In different versions (releases, patch, bug fix) of the HW there is a different application of error scenarios that triggers the TDR. I hope some one finds a good enough workaround to the very root cause. Hopefully Nvidia and MS find the permanent solution.

Edit
just forgot to mention i´ve got two more systems from different manufactorers. One is a Supermicro intel x955 based system running Vista 32bit and a Nvidia 7900GTX OC flawless. Have never had a problem with it. The last is an HP AMDx2 system with a 7800GTX running Vista x64 and its having no problem. Both are running older Nvidia drivers 158.18. So that why i believe the problem to be more complex than just it HW or just bad drivers. I also have a dell Inspiron XPS running Vista X64 and it gets the TDRs.

So to sum it up
1 Nvidia based system runs well on XP but has TDRs when running Vista x64
1 Laptop Nvidia 7900go has TDRs
2 Systems based on other chipsets work perfect!

Cheers friends /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 4 2007, 03:24 PM']Sorry guys,...Stickwulf is right..its hardware, not software....I too had the problem for months and tried everything including swapping graphics cards 3 times until i found what was failing RAM...it worked fine some of the time and in fact passed 9-12 hour sessions of MEMTEST....but they finally completely failed (thank God!) and it was only then that i was able to figure out what it was....since replacing both sticks of RAM my computer runs as stable and fast as i could hope....its not Vista or Nvidia (like I thought, and like you think)...if the software is bad, its bad for everyone not just a few.....too many people have a working system....it IS a hardware problem...could be video card, RAM, PSU, Mobo....and its probably FAILING..meaning that at times it works fine, making it hard to diagnose....XFX told me that assuming a correct install of Vista, correct install of new WHQL drivers and still TDR's, then its a hardware problem.  They were right even though I argued like an ass with them.....start looking at your hardware if you want to resolve this issue......

[snapback]274756[/snapback]

Hmmm....

Intresting. Well i have both Vista x64 and XP 32bit installed. I can run what ever game under XP. But when running in Vista i endup with the TDR. So if it where hardware it should occur in either OS. I´m running 163.44 in XP and under Vista it varies from day to day currently.

In my case it has nothing to do with heat either. CPU is around 10-15C under load and the GPUs holds about the same. I have RMAd the MoBo three times (OK Now) the 8800GTX 4 times, seems ok now. Why do i believe it ok? well it works flawlessly under XP.

Oh, yes i´m OCíng. I tried my engineer edition(Intel seed) of the QX9650 at 5,1GHz, FSB 1333MHz and the ram(all 4GB, yes XP cant see all i know) at 1250MHz under XP. No problem at all. HW alone? i doubt it strongly.

So is it still only HW? at least not for me, but i think that the root cause lies in how the drivers call the HW and utilises the sub routines. In different versions (releases, patch, bug fix) of the HW there is a different application of error scenarios that triggers the TDR. I hope some one finds a good enough workaround to the very root cause. Hopefully Nvidia and MS find the permanent solution.

Edit

just forgot to mention i´ve got two more systems from different manufactorers. One is a Supermicro intel x955 based system running Vista 32bit and a Nvidia 7900GTX OC flawless. Have never had a problem with it. The last is an HP AMDx2 system with a 7800GTX running Vista x64 and its having no problem. Both are running older Nvidia drivers 158.18. So that why i believe the problem to be more complex than just it HW or just bad drivers. I also have a dell Inspiron XPS running Vista X64 and it gets the TDRs.

So to sum it up

Posted 11/04/2007 07:45 PM   
I dont have the problem in Vista Yet i have it in windows xp 32 bit tho :(
I dont have the problem in Vista Yet i have it in windows xp 32 bit tho :(

Posted 11/05/2007 05:15 AM   
[quote name='Atlantic2142' date='Nov 4 2007, 02:45 PM']Hmmm....

Edit

So to sum it up
[right][snapback]274873[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well, I have a Vista system that now runs flawless. The drivers work great, and so does Vista. If it is a software problem, then none of us could say that. The fact that your hardware works fine under XP, is because, as it has been stated in several places, Vista is coded differently than Xp and as such appears to be more sensitive to hardware errors than XP. the whole TDR error, while not new to Vista, is presented in a whole new way in Vista than XP. You may get a bluescreen in XP from a hardware error, but in Vista you will usually first get a TDR message. All I'm saying is that, if it were a software problem, or even partly a software problem, the thousands upon thousands of Vista/Nvidia users would all be having TDR problems. The fact is we are not. (although I was in that group until i found out i had failing RAM. Once I fixed that, TDR's gone)....so, you can keep waiting for a "miracle fix" from Microsoft or Nvidia, but I have a feeling you will be waiting a long, long time.
[quote name='Atlantic2142' date='Nov 4 2007, 02:45 PM']Hmmm....

Edit

So to sum it up

[snapback]274873[/snapback]

well, I have a Vista system that now runs flawless. The drivers work great, and so does Vista. If it is a software problem, then none of us could say that. The fact that your hardware works fine under XP, is because, as it has been stated in several places, Vista is coded differently than Xp and as such appears to be more sensitive to hardware errors than XP. the whole TDR error, while not new to Vista, is presented in a whole new way in Vista than XP. You may get a bluescreen in XP from a hardware error, but in Vista you will usually first get a TDR message. All I'm saying is that, if it were a software problem, or even partly a software problem, the thousands upon thousands of Vista/Nvidia users would all be having TDR problems. The fact is we are not. (although I was in that group until i found out i had failing RAM. Once I fixed that, TDR's gone)....so, you can keep waiting for a "miracle fix" from Microsoft or Nvidia, but I have a feeling you will be waiting a long, long time.

Posted 11/05/2007 01:04 PM   
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 5 2007, 05:04 AM']well, I have a Vista system that now runs flawless.  The drivers work great, and so does Vista. If it is a software problem, then none of us could say that. The fact that your hardware works fine under XP, is because, as it has been stated in several places, Vista is coded differently than Xp and as such appears to be more sensitive to hardware errors than XP. the whole TDR error, while not new to Vista, is presented in a whole new way in Vista than XP. You may get a bluescreen in XP from a hardware error, but in Vista you will usually first get a TDR message.  All I'm saying is that, if it were a software problem, or even partly a software problem, the thousands upon thousands of Vista/Nvidia users would all be having TDR problems. The fact is we are not. (although I was in that group until i found out i had failing RAM. Once I fixed that, TDR's gone)....so, you can keep waiting for a "miracle fix" from Microsoft or Nvidia, but I have a feeling you will be waiting a long, long time.
[right][snapback]275190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

striker extreme, 8800gtx, 3.25GB ballistix, vista ultimate 32bit.my ram is extremely stable and my case is very well ventilated.im going to try an after market cooler on my GTX and i hope it works otherwise im sh*tcanning the card and going ati
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 5 2007, 05:04 AM']well, I have a Vista system that now runs flawless.  The drivers work great, and so does Vista. If it is a software problem, then none of us could say that. The fact that your hardware works fine under XP, is because, as it has been stated in several places, Vista is coded differently than Xp and as such appears to be more sensitive to hardware errors than XP. the whole TDR error, while not new to Vista, is presented in a whole new way in Vista than XP. You may get a bluescreen in XP from a hardware error, but in Vista you will usually first get a TDR message.  All I'm saying is that, if it were a software problem, or even partly a software problem, the thousands upon thousands of Vista/Nvidia users would all be having TDR problems. The fact is we are not. (although I was in that group until i found out i had failing RAM. Once I fixed that, TDR's gone)....so, you can keep waiting for a "miracle fix" from Microsoft or Nvidia, but I have a feeling you will be waiting a long, long time.

[snapback]275190[/snapback]

I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

striker extreme, 8800gtx, 3.25GB ballistix, vista ultimate 32bit.my ram is extremely stable and my case is very well ventilated.im going to try an after market cooler on my GTX and i hope it works otherwise im sh*tcanning the card and going ati

Posted 11/05/2007 03:07 PM   
[quote name='Judger' date='Nov 5 2007, 09:07 AM']I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

[right][snapback]275249[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Check your power at the wall at the UPS, I have 5 computers running Vista 32 Ultimate. The only one that I have had constant errors had too much on the line. I installed the computer on a dedicated line APC 1500 24inch monitor and the computer only and have not had a failure since. Before I retired I constantly fought power problems as a network and systems engineer.
EVGA 680i, QX6700 oc to 3.3, 2 8800GTX in SLI, 2gigs Dominator 10000
[quote name='Judger' date='Nov 5 2007, 09:07 AM']I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

[snapback]275249[/snapback]

Check your power at the wall at the UPS, I have 5 computers running Vista 32 Ultimate. The only one that I have had constant errors had too much on the line. I installed the computer on a dedicated line APC 1500 24inch monitor and the computer only and have not had a failure since. Before I retired I constantly fought power problems as a network and systems engineer.

EVGA 680i, QX6700 oc to 3.3, 2 8800GTX in SLI, 2gigs Dominator 10000

Posted 11/06/2007 05:45 AM   
[quote name='Judger' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:07 AM']I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

[right][snapback]275249[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know that lots of people are having this issue..trust me, I was on these forums everyday looking for a solution! I thought originally it was my graphics card..I swapped it out 3 times! I also have Crucial Ballisitix, and they tested fine under Memtest for up to 12 hours repeatedly! I also ran extended stress tests and found 0 errors! It was, in fact, my RAM however causing my TDR's.....Hardware that is in the process of failing will in fact work just fine some, alot, or even most of the time.....that is why people are so reluctant to say it is their RAM or mobo, etc... because they test fine under the various stress tests.....but passing memtest does not guarantee your RAM is fine..now I'm not saying everyone's problem is RAM....I'm just saying its not a software or driver problem....start looking at your hardware if you can't find the problem..and its not just Nvidia...ATI users have the same problem....and I've also noticed that the number of posts and views on this subject on this very forum have decreased dramatically in the last month...people are fixing the problem.....XFX had never heard of this problem when I called them, and another poster said he contacted Microsoft and they had never heard of it....BS? maybe....or maybe it seems so widespread to those that are actively searching for NVLDDMKM on the internet....its not a mysterious disease...there is a logical solution to every problem...notice how all the gaming websites in their tons of reviews of Vista and various graphics cards (Nvidia included), and games...how come they're not complaining about TDR's.......Switching to ATI may solve your problem if your graphics card is the problem, why not just send it back for a good one? IF the card is not your problem, switching to ATI will do nothing but cost you money.....I'm not trying to get folks riled up here, I'm only trying to help....I, just like most of you, thought the exact same thing---F**k Vista, F**k Nvidia.....I just about called the XFX guys a bunch of moronic imbeciles...they told me it was my hardware, and after swapping my graphics card 3 times, they told me it was something other than the card...I called them liars and demanded my money back....imagine my emabarassment when it turned out to be my RAM.....you guys can keep waiting for someone to post a magic solution on these forums, or you can actively fix the problem by looking at your hardware, and I don't mean just running diagnostics.....
[quote name='Judger' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:07 AM']I never get bluescreens in XP and never got any errors in XP, only in vista. o and thousands are having the TDR error. I ran every stress test possible on both XP and Vista and errors only occured in vista. when crysis came out and new drivers were released the error was actually solved for me...for about two days. what really makes it clear to me that it is hardware related is that i can run bioshock at max specs for hours(with a few artifacts after a couple hours) but as soon as i play a source based game i crash after 10 minutes. also, this error is happening on every brand of 8800 which would also point to a software error. im certain its just rotten coding as vista is extremely tight on any system file being altered.

[snapback]275249[/snapback]

I know that lots of people are having this issue..trust me, I was on these forums everyday looking for a solution! I thought originally it was my graphics card..I swapped it out 3 times! I also have Crucial Ballisitix, and they tested fine under Memtest for up to 12 hours repeatedly! I also ran extended stress tests and found 0 errors! It was, in fact, my RAM however causing my TDR's.....Hardware that is in the process of failing will in fact work just fine some, alot, or even most of the time.....that is why people are so reluctant to say it is their RAM or mobo, etc... because they test fine under the various stress tests.....but passing memtest does not guarantee your RAM is fine..now I'm not saying everyone's problem is RAM....I'm just saying its not a software or driver problem....start looking at your hardware if you can't find the problem..and its not just Nvidia...ATI users have the same problem....and I've also noticed that the number of posts and views on this subject on this very forum have decreased dramatically in the last month...people are fixing the problem.....XFX had never heard of this problem when I called them, and another poster said he contacted Microsoft and they had never heard of it....BS? maybe....or maybe it seems so widespread to those that are actively searching for NVLDDMKM on the internet....its not a mysterious disease...there is a logical solution to every problem...notice how all the gaming websites in their tons of reviews of Vista and various graphics cards (Nvidia included), and games...how come they're not complaining about TDR's.......Switching to ATI may solve your problem if your graphics card is the problem, why not just send it back for a good one? IF the card is not your problem, switching to ATI will do nothing but cost you money.....I'm not trying to get folks riled up here, I'm only trying to help....I, just like most of you, thought the exact same thing---F**k Vista, F**k Nvidia.....I just about called the XFX guys a bunch of moronic imbeciles...they told me it was my hardware, and after swapping my graphics card 3 times, they told me it was something other than the card...I called them liars and demanded my money back....imagine my emabarassment when it turned out to be my RAM.....you guys can keep waiting for someone to post a magic solution on these forums, or you can actively fix the problem by looking at your hardware, and I don't mean just running diagnostics.....

Posted 11/06/2007 12:50 PM   
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 6 2007, 06:50 AM']I know that lots of people are having this issue..trust me, I was on these forums everyday looking for a solution! I thought originally it was my graphics card..I swapped it out 3 times! I also have Crucial Ballisitix, and they tested fine under Memtest for up to 12 hours repeatedly! I also ran extended stress tests and found 0 errors! It was, in fact, my RAM however causing my TDR's.....Hardware that is in the process of failing will in fact work just fine some, alot, or even most of the time.....that is why people are so reluctant to say it is their RAM or mobo, etc... because they test fine under the various stress tests.....but passing memtest does not guarantee your RAM is fine..now I'm not saying everyone's problem is RAM....I'm just saying its not a software or driver problem....start looking at your hardware if you can't find the problem..and its not just Nvidia...ATI users have the same problem....and I've also noticed that the number of posts and views on this subject on this very forum have decreased dramatically in the last month...people are fixing the problem.....XFX had never heard of this problem when I called them, and another poster said he contacted Microsoft and they had never heard of it....BS?  maybe....or maybe it seems so widespread to those that are actively searching for NVLDDMKM on the internet....its not a mysterious disease...there is a logical solution to every problem...notice how all the gaming websites in their tons of reviews of Vista and various graphics cards (Nvidia included), and games...how come they're not complaining about TDR's.......Switching to ATI may solve your problem if your graphics card is the problem, why not just send it back for a good one? IF the card is not your problem, switching to ATI will do nothing but cost you money.....I'm not trying to get folks riled up here, I'm only trying to help....I, just like most of you, thought the exact same thing---F**k Vista, F**k Nvidia.....I just about called the XFX guys a bunch of moronic imbeciles...they told me it was my hardware, and after swapping my graphics card 3 times, they told me it was something other than the card...I called them liars and demanded my money back....imagine my emabarassment when it turned out to be my RAM.....you guys can keep waiting for someone to post a magic solution on these forums, or you can actively fix the problem by looking at your hardware, and I don't mean just running diagnostics.....
[right][snapback]275695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Again check power, ifyour power is low it will bring out the problems faster than at proper power. The way that I found my problem was I could not even boot after installing the 3rd mobo in 2 weeks. In frustration I took the computer to a local shop, it booted fine everything worked , I took it home it did not boot until I installed it on a dedicated line. I have not had an error since.
[quote name='bomonganni' date='Nov 6 2007, 06:50 AM']I know that lots of people are having this issue..trust me, I was on these forums everyday looking for a solution! I thought originally it was my graphics card..I swapped it out 3 times! I also have Crucial Ballisitix, and they tested fine under Memtest for up to 12 hours repeatedly! I also ran extended stress tests and found 0 errors! It was, in fact, my RAM however causing my TDR's.....Hardware that is in the process of failing will in fact work just fine some, alot, or even most of the time.....that is why people are so reluctant to say it is their RAM or mobo, etc... because they test fine under the various stress tests.....but passing memtest does not guarantee your RAM is fine..now I'm not saying everyone's problem is RAM....I'm just saying its not a software or driver problem....start looking at your hardware if you can't find the problem..and its not just Nvidia...ATI users have the same problem....and I've also noticed that the number of posts and views on this subject on this very forum have decreased dramatically in the last month...people are fixing the problem.....XFX had never heard of this problem when I called them, and another poster said he contacted Microsoft and they had never heard of it....BS?  maybe....or maybe it seems so widespread to those that are actively searching for NVLDDMKM on the internet....its not a mysterious disease...there is a logical solution to every problem...notice how all the gaming websites in their tons of reviews of Vista and various graphics cards (Nvidia included), and games...how come they're not complaining about TDR's.......Switching to ATI may solve your problem if your graphics card is the problem, why not just send it back for a good one? IF the card is not your problem, switching to ATI will do nothing but cost you money.....I'm not trying to get folks riled up here, I'm only trying to help....I, just like most of you, thought the exact same thing---F**k Vista, F**k Nvidia.....I just about called the XFX guys a bunch of moronic imbeciles...they told me it was my hardware, and after swapping my graphics card 3 times, they told me it was something other than the card...I called them liars and demanded my money back....imagine my emabarassment when it turned out to be my RAM.....you guys can keep waiting for someone to post a magic solution on these forums, or you can actively fix the problem by looking at your hardware, and I don't mean just running diagnostics.....

[snapback]275695[/snapback]

Again check power, ifyour power is low it will bring out the problems faster than at proper power. The way that I found my problem was I could not even boot after installing the 3rd mobo in 2 weeks. In frustration I took the computer to a local shop, it booted fine everything worked , I took it home it did not boot until I installed it on a dedicated line. I have not had an error since.

Posted 11/06/2007 02:51 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top