Oblivion 8800GTX OC on Vista and XP Microstutters
  1 / 2    
Hi all

Have oblivion and all addons installed on both Windows XP and Vista (32bit). Seem to keep getting micro stutters though there is no slow down in the actions of my character (ie swinging my blade).

Had Oblivion on Vista a while ago but reformatted and dualboot setup loaded. Never had this problem before. The stutters are worse on Windows XP! Reducing resolution doesn't help much and reducing graphics settings, namely grass and tree draw help a little. Cant understand why this is happening.

I have an Extreme Core 2.93ghz cpu, 2 gigs of Corsair C4 RAM at 800mhz, an Nvidia 8800GTX Overclocked (by default not by me) and Soundblaster Audigy 4.

The stutters are more like popping and happen mostly outside. Even with trees and grass set to lowest the microstutters/pops are still there though not as bad and I cant work out how XP is performing worse than Vista.

Any suggestions or ideas as to the likely or probable, if not definate cause would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to pick up a second GTX for SLI soon.

Also I can run the new Colin Mcrae Dirt at full settings on 1920 BY 1200 Resolution (again installed on both OS's this time XP preforms slightly better) and Flight Simulator X at 95% of Max settings (autogen set to dense) with great performance (includes Active Sky X running at the same time to generate real world high detailed weather). So whats up with Oblivion, is it the game or my drivers or what?

Thanks in advance guys /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
Hi all

Have oblivion and all addons installed on both Windows XP and Vista (32bit). Seem to keep getting micro stutters though there is no slow down in the actions of my character (ie swinging my blade).

Had Oblivion on Vista a while ago but reformatted and dualboot setup loaded. Never had this problem before. The stutters are worse on Windows XP! Reducing resolution doesn't help much and reducing graphics settings, namely grass and tree draw help a little. Cant understand why this is happening.

I have an Extreme Core 2.93ghz cpu, 2 gigs of Corsair C4 RAM at 800mhz, an Nvidia 8800GTX Overclocked (by default not by me) and Soundblaster Audigy 4.

The stutters are more like popping and happen mostly outside. Even with trees and grass set to lowest the microstutters/pops are still there though not as bad and I cant work out how XP is performing worse than Vista.

Any suggestions or ideas as to the likely or probable, if not definate cause would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to pick up a second GTX for SLI soon.

Also I can run the new Colin Mcrae Dirt at full settings on 1920 BY 1200 Resolution (again installed on both OS's this time XP preforms slightly better) and Flight Simulator X at 95% of Max settings (autogen set to dense) with great performance (includes Active Sky X running at the same time to generate real world high detailed weather). So whats up with Oblivion, is it the game or my drivers or what?

Thanks in advance guys /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 06/18/2007 05:03 PM   
Thanks alot all of you for trying to help me out here.....Guess Ill have to try somewhere else....

Even a link to another thread would have been helpfull..anything...and theres me trying to help out others as best I can..Oh well :angry:
Thanks alot all of you for trying to help me out here.....Guess Ill have to try somewhere else....

Even a link to another thread would have been helpfull..anything...and theres me trying to help out others as best I can..Oh well :angry:

Posted 06/23/2007 09:15 PM   
Sorry, sometimes no one knows. I've had a post or 2 go unanswered also. I do know my Oblivion stutters some. All that loading has it's toll. I have FRAPS on and watch it go from 70fps to 20 fps in a heart beat.The Embryo engines are known for their performance issues(morrowind and Oblivion).
Sorry, sometimes no one knows. I've had a post or 2 go unanswered also. I do know my Oblivion stutters some. All that loading has it's toll. I have FRAPS on and watch it go from 70fps to 20 fps in a heart beat.The Embryo engines are known for their performance issues(morrowind and Oblivion).

Posted 06/23/2007 11:21 PM   
we need more information.

give us your full hardware specs.
we need more information.

give us your full hardware specs.

Posted 06/24/2007 01:50 AM   
Cheers guys

I have windows XP SP2 and Vista 32bit, Geforce 8800GTXx2 (SLI), Corsair C4 ram 2Gigs, Asus P5N32 SLI 16x MB, Audigy 4 Soundblaster, 150gb Raptor (XP) and 500GB Cavier (Vista). XP Drivers are 158.22 and Vista 158.48. All other drivers are up to date.

Must admit that whilst waiting (and giving up waiting) for a response, I uninstalled Oblivion and deleted its registry entries. Fresh install. Much better but still have popping issues here and there. If i put on Shivering Ilse and Patch, it gets more stuttery, especially around Anvil.

Is the game or my hardware? Though I must admit that this only happens with Oblivion. I used to have 1.1 patch with all oblivion addons installed and never experienced any of this, and that was with one GPU. Prior to SLI, after reformat and reinstall of oblivion and new patch, performance is as stated, popping and renders game unenjoyable.

Thanks again for responding.

Taz
Cheers guys

I have windows XP SP2 and Vista 32bit, Geforce 8800GTXx2 (SLI), Corsair C4 ram 2Gigs, Asus P5N32 SLI 16x MB, Audigy 4 Soundblaster, 150gb Raptor (XP) and 500GB Cavier (Vista). XP Drivers are 158.22 and Vista 158.48. All other drivers are up to date.

Must admit that whilst waiting (and giving up waiting) for a response, I uninstalled Oblivion and deleted its registry entries. Fresh install. Much better but still have popping issues here and there. If i put on Shivering Ilse and Patch, it gets more stuttery, especially around Anvil.

Is the game or my hardware? Though I must admit that this only happens with Oblivion. I used to have 1.1 patch with all oblivion addons installed and never experienced any of this, and that was with one GPU. Prior to SLI, after reformat and reinstall of oblivion and new patch, performance is as stated, popping and renders game unenjoyable.

Thanks again for responding.

Taz

Posted 06/25/2007 02:13 PM   
One other thing. I mentioned prior to SLI i reformatted and reinstalled obivion with this problem. I was still only using 1 gpu at the time (just got SLI over the weekend) so I can safely rule out SLI performance.

And it cant be vista because the same thing happens in XP.
One other thing. I mentioned prior to SLI i reformatted and reinstalled obivion with this problem. I was still only using 1 gpu at the time (just got SLI over the weekend) so I can safely rule out SLI performance.

And it cant be vista because the same thing happens in XP.

Posted 06/25/2007 02:15 PM   
When you say micro stutters, is this for a frame or two. In all games I would get what I would call micro stutters, and this is pointless windows tasks kicking in to do pointless stuff While I am trying to play games. This is easy to sort out if you know how. Bludgeon windows into submission with maximum force. But, no, it seems like it's more than that. Is this synchronised with HD access?
When you say micro stutters, is this for a frame or two. In all games I would get what I would call micro stutters, and this is pointless windows tasks kicking in to do pointless stuff While I am trying to play games. This is easy to sort out if you know how. Bludgeon windows into submission with maximum force. But, no, it seems like it's more than that. Is this synchronised with HD access?

Posted 06/25/2007 02:55 PM   
Just tested Oblivion again.

Seems that the grass has sonething to do with it. If I turn grass off its perfect! If i increase the setting, regardless how much, it gets poppy and stuttery. Also, as I pan my view around, grass pops into and out of existance...Its this grass popping thats causing the stutters by the looks of it...
Just tested Oblivion again.

Seems that the grass has sonething to do with it. If I turn grass off its perfect! If i increase the setting, regardless how much, it gets poppy and stuttery. Also, as I pan my view around, grass pops into and out of existance...Its this grass popping thats causing the stutters by the looks of it...

Posted 06/25/2007 02:57 PM   
Then you must search out Oscars nicer grass. It was this that allowed me to play oblivion on my 5200!!! Ran ok, as long as the grass wasn't there. Seems that most of the processing in oblivion is actually drawing the grass. Kind of figures, really. There are a lot of blades of grass in a scene!!!
Then you must search out Oscars nicer grass. It was this that allowed me to play oblivion on my 5200!!! Ran ok, as long as the grass wasn't there. Seems that most of the processing in oblivion is actually drawing the grass. Kind of figures, really. There are a lot of blades of grass in a scene!!!

Posted 06/25/2007 03:07 PM   
[quote name='chrysophylax' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:07 PM']Then you must search out Oscars nicer grass. It was this that allowed me to play oblivion on my 5200!!! Ran ok, as long as the grass wasn't there. Seems that most of the processing in oblivion is actually drawing the grass. Kind of figures, really. There are a lot of blades of grass in a scene!!!
[right][snapback]214090[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I should point out that Oscars nicer grass doesn't remove all the grass, just scales it back to a level where it doesn't dominate the rendering.
[quote name='chrysophylax' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:07 PM']Then you must search out Oscars nicer grass. It was this that allowed me to play oblivion on my 5200!!! Ran ok, as long as the grass wasn't there. Seems that most of the processing in oblivion is actually drawing the grass. Kind of figures, really. There are a lot of blades of grass in a scene!!!

[snapback]214090[/snapback]

I should point out that Oscars nicer grass doesn't remove all the grass, just scales it back to a level where it doesn't dominate the rendering.

Posted 06/25/2007 03:17 PM   
Cant see how rendering grass is a problem where it wasn't before. Something is different and its not my PC's ability to render. Like I posted earlier, it ran just fine with all addons and the 1.1 patch (which is no longer avialable now, so I cant set up oblivion the way it once was on my system).

Funny enough that this problem is more or less elimnated with just Oblivion and no addons installed. I am begining to think its got something to do with the addons and patches.

If I install the Knihts of the Nine, then I install the version 2 patch thats not for shivering ilses (the patch note says its not required if shivering Ilse is installed. I I then Install Shivering Ilse and the patch for it, the patch cannot be applied.

If i install Shivering Ilse after Oblviion and without Knight of the Nine, the Shivering Ilses patch works.

This is really starting to piss me off and I might just test the areo dynamics of the disc in a minute.... :)
Cant see how rendering grass is a problem where it wasn't before. Something is different and its not my PC's ability to render. Like I posted earlier, it ran just fine with all addons and the 1.1 patch (which is no longer avialable now, so I cant set up oblivion the way it once was on my system).

Funny enough that this problem is more or less elimnated with just Oblivion and no addons installed. I am begining to think its got something to do with the addons and patches.

If I install the Knihts of the Nine, then I install the version 2 patch thats not for shivering ilses (the patch note says its not required if shivering Ilse is installed. I I then Install Shivering Ilse and the patch for it, the patch cannot be applied.

If i install Shivering Ilse after Oblviion and without Knight of the Nine, the Shivering Ilses patch works.

This is really starting to piss me off and I might just test the areo dynamics of the disc in a minute.... :)

Posted 06/25/2007 03:35 PM   
Thanks for trying to help me out guys, i do really appreciate it.
Thanks for trying to help me out guys, i do really appreciate it.

Posted 06/25/2007 03:36 PM   
This is a total shot in the dark, but do you have multithreading set up properly. You need the correct driver installed, and multithreading optimization on in the Nvidia control panel. I only ask because this can cause some problems with pausing. If you set the affinity for oblivion to 1 core does this help?
This is a total shot in the dark, but do you have multithreading set up properly. You need the correct driver installed, and multithreading optimization on in the Nvidia control panel. I only ask because this can cause some problems with pausing. If you set the affinity for oblivion to 1 core does this help?

Posted 06/25/2007 04:15 PM   
chrysophylax

Okay I will try that now and let you know how I go.

P.S I have latest Nvidia Drivers and Threaded Optimization is set to Auto in Control Panel.

I cant access my profile for Oblivion. Everytime I try the control Panel crashes and says that it has encountered and error and needs to close.

Trying one CPU now..... /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
chrysophylax

Okay I will try that now and let you know how I go.

P.S I have latest Nvidia Drivers and Threaded Optimization is set to Auto in Control Panel.

I cant access my profile for Oblivion. Everytime I try the control Panel crashes and says that it has encountered and error and needs to close.

Trying one CPU now..... /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 06/25/2007 05:26 PM   
Same crap as before...Cant understand it. Reducing Res helps some still the problem is there. If i slide the grass slider off , it works like a dream, slide it up enought o barely see a meter ahead of grass and the problem returns. Doesn't matter if its minimal or maximum grass distance, the performance is still the same and doesn't get any worse...

I am stumped.Could it be the nvidia drivers? If so then why am i the only one experiencing it? Or am I?
:blink:
Same crap as before...Cant understand it. Reducing Res helps some still the problem is there. If i slide the grass slider off , it works like a dream, slide it up enought o barely see a meter ahead of grass and the problem returns. Doesn't matter if its minimal or maximum grass distance, the performance is still the same and doesn't get any worse...

I am stumped.Could it be the nvidia drivers? If so then why am i the only one experiencing it? Or am I?

:blink:

Posted 06/25/2007 05:30 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top