GeForce FX 5200 blurry text
First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem. I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years. But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine. I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card. It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it. Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision. Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

-- I installed the latest driver from the PNY web site.
-- I've played around endlessly with the NVIDIA control panel, toggling the "image sharpening" bar, the "contrast" bar, the brightness, etc..
-- I've changed the screen resolution.
-- I've changed the refresh rate (now 75 Hz.)
-- I've toggled every setting I could find on my monitor (an HP Pavilion F1903.)
-- I've changed the antialiasing setting, color quality, and image setting (now "high quality.")
-- I noticed that there are two monitor outputs on the graphics card, so I switched from one output to the other.

None of these changes has made any difference.

Any other ideas? I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.
First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem. I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years. But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine. I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card. It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it. Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision. Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

-- I've played around endlessly with the NVIDIA control panel, toggling the "image sharpening" bar, the "contrast" bar, the brightness, etc..

-- I've toggled every setting I could find on my monitor (an HP Pavilion F1903.)

-- I've changed the antialiasing setting, color quality, and image setting (now "high quality.")

-- I noticed that there are two monitor outputs on the graphics card, so I switched from one output to the other.

Any other ideas? I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.

Posted 05/16/2007 12:12 AM   
Return the card for one that's not potentially broken?

Amorphous

[quote name='jgargon' date='May 15 2007, 04:12 PM']First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem.  I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years.  But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine.  I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card.  It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it.  Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision.  Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

Any other ideas?  I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.
[right][snapback]197428[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Return the card for one that's not potentially broken?

Amorphous

[quote name='jgargon' date='May 15 2007, 04:12 PM']First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem.  I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years.  But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine.  I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card.  It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it.  Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision.  Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

Any other ideas?  I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.

[snapback]197428[/snapback]

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 05/16/2007 01:46 AM   
This problem appear in everything or just in the windows?
This problem appear in everything or just in the windows?

Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0 GHz + CoolerMaster V6 GT
Asus P7P55D-E
4GB DDR3-1333 @1460 MHz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Asus VG236H + 3D Vision
ZM-1000HP
CoolerMaster HAF922

Posted 05/16/2007 09:29 AM   
have you installed directx 9.0c and your monitor driver?
have you installed directx 9.0c and your monitor driver?

Posted 05/16/2007 01:08 PM   
The text is blurry everywhere -- on the desktop, in the windows, etc..

I already had DirectX 9.0 installed, so I simply installed the driver that came with the card. This didn't help the blurry text problem. So I went to the NVIDIA web site and downloaded and installed the latest driver (v93.71.) This made it a *little* better, but it's still way too blurry. It looks like everything did before I had LASIK surgery.
The text is blurry everywhere -- on the desktop, in the windows, etc..

I already had DirectX 9.0 installed, so I simply installed the driver that came with the card. This didn't help the blurry text problem. So I went to the NVIDIA web site and downloaded and installed the latest driver (v93.71.) This made it a *little* better, but it's still way too blurry. It looks like everything did before I had LASIK surgery.

Posted 05/16/2007 02:18 PM   
I hadn't considered downloading the driver for the monitor. I just did so, and there appears to be no change. Prior to installing this new card, I had installed the same card on the same monitor, and it worked fine. At this point, I'm thinking it's just a bad card.
I hadn't considered downloading the driver for the monitor. I just did so, and there appears to be no change. Prior to installing this new card, I had installed the same card on the same monitor, and it worked fine. At this point, I'm thinking it's just a bad card.

Posted 05/16/2007 02:22 PM   
One more thing: I've noticed that the text is much clearer in 800 x 600 resolution. When I switch to 1024 x 768, it becomes headache-inducing. Is this meaningful?
One more thing: I've noticed that the text is much clearer in 800 x 600 resolution. When I switch to 1024 x 768, it becomes headache-inducing. Is this meaningful?

Posted 05/16/2007 03:51 PM   
i discovered i have the same problem.
when i set the display to 1024x768 or higher resolutions the text become blurry :)
My Graphics card is GeForce FX 5500
i discovered i have the same problem.

when i set the display to 1024x768 or higher resolutions the text become blurry :)

My Graphics card is GeForce FX 5500

Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0 GHz + CoolerMaster V6 GT
Asus P7P55D-E
4GB DDR3-1333 @1460 MHz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Asus VG236H + 3D Vision
ZM-1000HP
CoolerMaster HAF922

Posted 05/16/2007 05:38 PM   
Just as a follow-up, I returned my card and replaced it with a new one. That seems to have done the trick. I had to play around with the "clock phase" feature on my monitor for a while, but everything looks good now.

Thanks for all your help.
Just as a follow-up, I returned my card and replaced it with a new one. That seems to have done the trick. I had to play around with the "clock phase" feature on my monitor for a while, but everything looks good now.

Thanks for all your help.

Posted 05/16/2007 11:43 PM   
Scroll To Top