GeForce FX 5200 blurry text
First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem. I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years. But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine. I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card. It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it. Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision. Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

-- I installed the latest driver from the PNY web site.
-- I've played around endlessly with the NVIDIA control panel, toggling the "image sharpening" bar, the "contrast" bar, the brightness, etc..
-- I've changed the screen resolution.
-- I've changed the refresh rate (now 75 Hz.)
-- I've toggled every setting I could find on my monitor (an HP Pavilion F1903.)
-- I've changed the antialiasing setting, color quality, and image setting (now "high quality.")
-- I noticed that there are two monitor outputs on the graphics card, so I switched from one output to the other.

None of these changes has made any difference.

Any other ideas? I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.
First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem. I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years. But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine. I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card. It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it. Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision. Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

-- I've played around endlessly with the NVIDIA control panel, toggling the "image sharpening" bar, the "contrast" bar, the brightness, etc..

-- I've toggled every setting I could find on my monitor (an HP Pavilion F1903.)

-- I've changed the antialiasing setting, color quality, and image setting (now "high quality.")

-- I noticed that there are two monitor outputs on the graphics card, so I switched from one output to the other.

Any other ideas? I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.

Posted 05/16/2007 12:12 AM   
Return the card for one that's not potentially broken?

Amorphous

[quote name='jgargon' date='May 15 2007, 04:12 PM']First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem.  I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years.  But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine.  I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card.  It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it.  Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision.  Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

Any other ideas?  I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.
[right][snapback]197428[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Return the card for one that's not potentially broken?

Amorphous

[quote name='jgargon' date='May 15 2007, 04:12 PM']First, my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Windows XP Pro, SP2

Now, my problem.  I've had a GeForce FX 5200 video card installed on this machine for a couple of years.  But recently, it began making the most god-awful noise you can imagine.  I tried cleaning it, and reinstalling it, but nothing made that noise go away.

So, I went out and bought a new card.  It's the same exact model (or so I thought), but when I took it out of the package, I noticed that there was no fan unit on it.  Which is good, since that's what was making that god-awful noise.

I installed the new card yesterday, and immediately noticed that the text on my screen looks blurry -- like double-vision.  Here's what I've done to try to correct this problem:

Any other ideas?  I (and my eyeballs) thank you in advance for your help.

[snapback]197428[/snapback]

This is not a regularly monitored account. Please contact Kris@NVIDIA for assistance.

If you're dying to reach me, hit me up at Amorphous@NVIDIA

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 05/16/2007 01:46 AM   
This problem appear in everything or just in the windows?
This problem appear in everything or just in the windows?

Nvidia GPUs Owned : RIVA TNT2 32MB, GeForce4 MX 4000 128MB, GeForce FX 5500 256MB, GeForce 7600 GS 512MB, GeForce 7900 GS 256MB, GeForce GTX 470 1.28GB, GeForce GTX 670 2GB, GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB

Posted 05/16/2007 09:29 AM   
have you installed directx 9.0c and your monitor driver?
have you installed directx 9.0c and your monitor driver?

Posted 05/16/2007 01:08 PM   
The text is blurry everywhere -- on the desktop, in the windows, etc..

I already had DirectX 9.0 installed, so I simply installed the driver that came with the card. This didn't help the blurry text problem. So I went to the NVIDIA web site and downloaded and installed the latest driver (v93.71.) This made it a *little* better, but it's still way too blurry. It looks like everything did before I had LASIK surgery.
The text is blurry everywhere -- on the desktop, in the windows, etc..

I already had DirectX 9.0 installed, so I simply installed the driver that came with the card. This didn't help the blurry text problem. So I went to the NVIDIA web site and downloaded and installed the latest driver (v93.71.) This made it a *little* better, but it's still way too blurry. It looks like everything did before I had LASIK surgery.

Posted 05/16/2007 02:18 PM   
I hadn't considered downloading the driver for the monitor. I just did so, and there appears to be no change. Prior to installing this new card, I had installed the same card on the same monitor, and it worked fine. At this point, I'm thinking it's just a bad card.
I hadn't considered downloading the driver for the monitor. I just did so, and there appears to be no change. Prior to installing this new card, I had installed the same card on the same monitor, and it worked fine. At this point, I'm thinking it's just a bad card.

Posted 05/16/2007 02:22 PM   
One more thing: I've noticed that the text is much clearer in 800 x 600 resolution. When I switch to 1024 x 768, it becomes headache-inducing. Is this meaningful?
One more thing: I've noticed that the text is much clearer in 800 x 600 resolution. When I switch to 1024 x 768, it becomes headache-inducing. Is this meaningful?

Posted 05/16/2007 03:51 PM   
i discovered i have the same problem.
when i set the display to 1024x768 or higher resolutions the text become blurry :)
My Graphics card is GeForce FX 5500
i discovered i have the same problem.

when i set the display to 1024x768 or higher resolutions the text become blurry :)

My Graphics card is GeForce FX 5500

Nvidia GPUs Owned : RIVA TNT2 32MB, GeForce4 MX 4000 128MB, GeForce FX 5500 256MB, GeForce 7600 GS 512MB, GeForce 7900 GS 256MB, GeForce GTX 470 1.28GB, GeForce GTX 670 2GB, GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB

Posted 05/16/2007 05:38 PM   
Just as a follow-up, I returned my card and replaced it with a new one. That seems to have done the trick. I had to play around with the "clock phase" feature on my monitor for a while, but everything looks good now.

Thanks for all your help.
Just as a follow-up, I returned my card and replaced it with a new one. That seems to have done the trick. I had to play around with the "clock phase" feature on my monitor for a while, but everything looks good now.

Thanks for all your help.

Posted 05/16/2007 11:43 PM   
Scroll To Top