8800 GTS fan control
OK, I just installed the latest x64 XP drivers for the 8800 GTS. Everything is fine except the fan control no longer works. How is this version supposed to have better performance if the GPU gets fried from heat. Will I have to go back to v. 97.94 or will this be fixed. Also, the control panel sometimes will not open at all. I have to click it a few times. Tjis really is no good. Come on nvidia I do not want to go back to ATI yet!!!

AMD Athlon 64 3200
EVGA 8800 GTS
430 watt power supply
Antec Lan Boy case
2 gig DDR 400
XP x64 Pro
Forceware 158.22 (for now)
OK, I just installed the latest x64 XP drivers for the 8800 GTS. Everything is fine except the fan control no longer works. How is this version supposed to have better performance if the GPU gets fried from heat. Will I have to go back to v. 97.94 or will this be fixed. Also, the control panel sometimes will not open at all. I have to click it a few times. Tjis really is no good. Come on nvidia I do not want to go back to ATI yet!!!

AMD Athlon 64 3200

EVGA 8800 GTS

430 watt power supply

Antec Lan Boy case

2 gig DDR 400

XP x64 Pro

Forceware 158.22 (for now)

AMD 64 3200
Gigabyte K8NE
2 gig DDR 400
400 watt PSU
3VGA 8800GTS
XP X64

Posted 05/10/2007 01:50 AM   
Use Riva Tuner from guru3d.com it will control your fan it is a great product.
Use Riva Tuner from guru3d.com it will control your fan it is a great product.

Posted 05/10/2007 04:31 AM   
Is this the only option??? I was wondering if anyone else has this issue? I went back to v. 97.94 to confirm the fan control and it does work again. Why can't nvidia get simple things like this fixed?
Is this the only option??? I was wondering if anyone else has this issue? I went back to v. 97.94 to confirm the fan control and it does work again. Why can't nvidia get simple things like this fixed?

AMD 64 3200
Gigabyte K8NE
2 gig DDR 400
400 watt PSU
3VGA 8800GTS
XP X64

Posted 05/10/2007 11:02 AM   
[quote name='Apex1972' date='May 10 2007, 03:02 AM']Is this the only option??? I was wondering if anyone else has this issue? I went back to v. 97.94 to confirm the fan control and it does work again. Why can't nvidia get simple things like this fixed?
[right][snapback]195333[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

everyone has this issue, and rivatuner will not work with vista.
This is a major problem that nvidia for some reason will not even
acknowledge. At least give a registry variable to set the fan for max.
[quote name='Apex1972' date='May 10 2007, 03:02 AM']Is this the only option??? I was wondering if anyone else has this issue? I went back to v. 97.94 to confirm the fan control and it does work again. Why can't nvidia get simple things like this fixed?

[snapback]195333[/snapback]

everyone has this issue, and rivatuner will not work with vista.

Posted 05/10/2007 11:36 AM   
NOT that I condone fiddling with your 8800, But for me The "temp"[no pun intended] fix for fan control is to CAREFULLY with a needle push the clip that holds the "BLUE" wire into the plug that connects the video card fan to the video card board and release the BLUE wire from the plug and electric tape the end so it don't touch anything.This blue wire controls the fan speed and without it connected the fan runs at 100% all times,Now you might say that`s not good for the fan but I say better to lose a fan than a 500$ card,The fan can be replaced if anything should happen to the fan from always running at 100%, But I cant see why it would.

**IMPORTANT**

If you don't know what I`m talking about , Then your better off using a software to control the fan, AND NOT trying to remove the wire.

I take NO responsibility for anything that might go wrong with YOUR attempts to remove the fan control wire!

blackskies.Cheers!
NOT that I condone fiddling with your 8800, But for me The "temp"[no pun intended] fix for fan control is to CAREFULLY with a needle push the clip that holds the "BLUE" wire into the plug that connects the video card fan to the video card board and release the BLUE wire from the plug and electric tape the end so it don't touch anything.This blue wire controls the fan speed and without it connected the fan runs at 100% all times,Now you might say that`s not good for the fan but I say better to lose a fan than a 500$ card,The fan can be replaced if anything should happen to the fan from always running at 100%, But I cant see why it would.

**IMPORTANT**

If you don't know what I`m talking about , Then your better off using a software to control the fan, AND NOT trying to remove the wire.

I take NO responsibility for anything that might go wrong with YOUR attempts to remove the fan control wire!

blackskies.Cheers!

Posted 05/10/2007 01:18 PM   
[QUOTE]everyone has this issue, and rivatuner will not work with vista.

Riva Tuner works great in vista. Its an oustanding product the currently beats anyting nvidia produces.

It also alows you to not unhook the blue wire so future software programs will still contol your fan.
[QUOTE]everyone has this issue, and rivatuner will not work with vista.

Riva Tuner works great in vista. Its an oustanding product the currently beats anyting nvidia produces.

It also alows you to not unhook the blue wire so future software programs will still contol your fan.

Posted 05/10/2007 02:16 PM   
OK I am NOT using Vista. I am using XP x64 Pro. O think I will do the wire mod. That sounds good thanks!!!
OK I am NOT using Vista. I am using XP x64 Pro. O think I will do the wire mod. That sounds good thanks!!!

AMD 64 3200
Gigabyte K8NE
2 gig DDR 400
400 watt PSU
3VGA 8800GTS
XP X64

Posted 05/10/2007 06:32 PM   
Just download Rivatuner Apex1972
Just download Rivatuner Apex1972

Posted 05/10/2007 06:36 PM   
rivatuner does not control the fan speed with 8800 gts made by evga!
maybe it works with cards from other manufacturers, this i do not know.
rivatuner does not control the fan speed with 8800 gts made by evga!

Posted 05/10/2007 08:48 PM   
[quote name='kevingilmore' date='May 10 2007, 03:48 PM']rivatuner does not control the fan speed with 8800 gts made by evga!
[right][snapback]195561[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hmmmm...... I'm a regular EVGA browser and have never read this issue.

Now that RivaTuner supports Vista, it's one of the most recommended tools I read about. Just for my own piece of mind, here is a link on how to use RivaTuner.

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33885&hl="]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33885&hl=[/url]

Now I have a question about those recommending to pull the blue wire to enable 100% with their fans. I'm going to play devils advocate and ask for proof that this does not violate the warranty that some of us have on our cards. I know for a fact that EVGA looks closely at any part returned to them, and have read denials of RMA's because of things like bent resistors. What do you think would happen if your card was to fail and you tried to RMA? It's a known valid workaround for fan control, and you mention that you take no responsibility if they do it, but if it violates any warranty that should also be conveyed with the recommendation. Just a thought.....
[quote name='kevingilmore' date='May 10 2007, 03:48 PM']rivatuner does not control the fan speed with 8800 gts made by evga!

[snapback]195561[/snapback]

Hmmmm...... I'm a regular EVGA browser and have never read this issue.

Now that RivaTuner supports Vista, it's one of the most recommended tools I read about. Just for my own piece of mind, here is a link on how to use RivaTuner.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33885&hl=

Now I have a question about those recommending to pull the blue wire to enable 100% with their fans. I'm going to play devils advocate and ask for proof that this does not violate the warranty that some of us have on our cards. I know for a fact that EVGA looks closely at any part returned to them, and have read denials of RMA's because of things like bent resistors. What do you think would happen if your card was to fail and you tried to RMA? It's a known valid workaround for fan control, and you mention that you take no responsibility if they do it, but if it violates any warranty that should also be conveyed with the recommendation. Just a thought.....

Posted 05/10/2007 09:36 PM   
[right][snapback]195561[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RivaTuner controls my EVGA SC 8800 GTS just fine

[snapback]195561[/snapback]

RivaTuner controls my EVGA SC 8800 GTS just fine

Posted 05/10/2007 10:13 PM   
hello everyone, i have the 8800gts 320mb and Win XP x86, and have the same problem, i've installed riva tuner and it dind't solve it
XD,
i don't know what else to do, i don't want to go back to the previus drivers 97.xx
hello everyone, i have the 8800gts 320mb and Win XP x86, and have the same problem, i've installed riva tuner and it dind't solve it

XD,

i don't know what else to do, i don't want to go back to the previus drivers 97.xx

Posted 05/10/2007 10:58 PM   
thanks, that did it after the 3rd time.

was reporting 9472% minimum fan speed for a while.
from 60% to 100% took 11 degrees C off the gpu temp.
thanks, that did it after the 3rd time.

was reporting 9472% minimum fan speed for a while.

from 60% to 100% took 11 degrees C off the gpu temp.

Posted 05/10/2007 11:36 PM   
Scroll To Top