Workaround for HDTV overscan compensation rev.158.22, 8800s and Windows XP
  1 / 4    
Drivers can be found [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html"]here[/url] and the knowledge base article for how to enable the workaround is [url="http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064"]here.[/url]

From NVIDIA in regard to this issue:

[quote]Q: Why am I not able to resize the HDTV Desktop (adjust overscan compensation setting) with GeForce 8800 based graphics cards on Windows XP?

A. Overscan compensation is not supported on GeForce 8800 based graphics cards when connecting to many HDTVs over a digital interface (i.e. DVI) with the default driver settings.  However, with ForceWare Windows XP drivers v158.22 or higher, overscan compensation over DVI outputs can be enabled via a Registry Key workaround. To enable this workaround, perform the following steps:

Download the following file onto your PC: (hyperlink to EnableOverscanCompensation.exe)

Double-click the "EnableOverscanCompensation.exe" executable. This will run a macro to create the "EnOverscanComp" Registry Key in the Windows Registry.

3) Re-boot your PC. (Note: we have seen one PC configuration which requires two re-boots).

4) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on the Desktop and selecting "NVIDIA Control Panel". From the "Resize HDTV Desktop" option in the navigation pane of the NVIDIA Control Panel you can resize your Windows Desktop to fit the viewable area of your HDTV.

The above workaround can also be used to enable fixed aspect ratio scaling on similar display configurations.

Note: this workaround will disable HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection) support, which is required for playback of protected HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD content over digital interfaces. To disable this workaround and re-enable HDCP support, remove the EnOverscanComp Registry Key by running the DisableOverscanCompensation.exe executable (hyperlink to DisableOverscanCompensation.exe) and then rebooting your PC.

[/quote]
Drivers can be found here and the knowledge base article for how to enable the workaround is here.

Q: Why am I not able to resize the HDTV Desktop (adjust overscan compensation setting) with GeForce 8800 based graphics cards on Windows XP?

A. Overscan compensation is not supported on GeForce 8800 based graphics cards when connecting to many HDTVs over a digital interface (i.e. DVI) with the default driver settings.  However, with ForceWare Windows XP drivers v158.22 or higher, overscan compensation over DVI outputs can be enabled via a Registry Key workaround. To enable this workaround, perform the following steps:

Download the following file onto your PC: (hyperlink to EnableOverscanCompensation.exe)

Double-click the "EnableOverscanCompensation.exe" executable. This will run a macro to create the "EnOverscanComp" Registry Key in the Windows Registry.

3) Re-boot your PC. (Note: we have seen one PC configuration which requires two re-boots).

4) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on the Desktop and selecting "NVIDIA Control Panel". From the "Resize HDTV Desktop" option in the navigation pane of the NVIDIA Control Panel you can resize your Windows Desktop to fit the viewable area of your HDTV.

The above workaround can also be used to enable fixed aspect ratio scaling on similar display configurations.

Note: this workaround will disable HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection) support, which is required for playback of protected HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD content over digital interfaces. To disable this workaround and re-enable HDCP support, remove the EnOverscanComp Registry Key by running the DisableOverscanCompensation.exe executable (hyperlink to DisableOverscanCompensation.exe) and then rebooting your PC.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Not employed by NVIDIA, nor do my views represent NVIDIA's in any way.

Posted 05/02/2007 05:17 PM   
why not just incorporate an option in the NVCP which can do this? it wouldn't be hard.

Overscan Compensation
> Enabled Radio Button
> Disabled Radio Button

or use a drop box.

lol, and don't tell me this isn't possible, i know factually the NVCP can write and remove reg keys.
why not just incorporate an option in the NVCP which can do this? it wouldn't be hard.

Overscan Compensation

> Enabled Radio Button

> Disabled Radio Button

or use a drop box.

lol, and don't tell me this isn't possible, i know factually the NVCP can write and remove reg keys.

Posted 05/02/2007 09:02 PM   
Can I get that link to the disable overscan exeutable?

[quote name='Brian_S' date='May 2 2007, 12:17 PM']Drivers can be found [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html"]here[/url] and the knowledge base article for how to enable the workaround is [url="http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064"]here.[/url]

[right][snapback]192360[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Can I get that link to the disable overscan exeutable?

[quote name='Brian_S' date='May 2 2007, 12:17 PM']Drivers can be found here and the knowledge base article for how to enable the workaround is here.

[snapback]192360[/snapback]

Posted 05/05/2007 03:27 AM   
what... r you blind?

[url="http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=AZooYMAi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=2064&p_created=1177973296&p_olh=0"]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....7973296&p_olh=0[/url]

Posted 05/05/2007 03:35 AM   
I found it right after I posted. Thanks for your support.....

[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='May 4 2007, 10:35 PM']what... r you blind?

[url="http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=AZooYMAi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=2064&p_created=1177973296&p_olh=0"]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....7973296&p_olh=0[/url]
[right][snapback]193435[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I found it right after I posted. Thanks for your support.....

[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='May 4 2007, 10:35 PM']what... r you blind?

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....7973296&p_olh=0

[snapback]193435[/snapback]

Posted 05/05/2007 03:51 AM   
Is there a workaround for Vista? I want to run my Vista thru my 60" 1080p Bravia in prep for Crysis, and I want to be able to see the edges of my screen.
Is there a workaround for Vista? I want to run my Vista thru my 60" 1080p Bravia in prep for Crysis, and I want to be able to see the edges of my screen.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu | Gigabyte PCI-Express GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo | 2 gb ram | 2x 200gb Seagate SATA hard drives | 1x 200gb Seagate IDE drive | LG GSA-4120B DVD writer | Pioneer DVD-106 DVD-ROM drive | Gigabyte 6800GT PCI-E | 600w Enermax PSU | Dell 24" widescreen LCD monitor | Playstation 3 via 60" 1080p Sony Bravia

Posted 05/06/2007 04:12 AM   
[quote name='party' date='May 5 2007, 10:12 PM']Is there a workaround for Vista? I want to run my Vista thru my 60" 1080p Bravia in prep for Crysis, and I want to be able to see the edges of my screen.
[right][snapback]193728[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

As I said in the other thread thanks Nvidia for starting to address the problem.

It works for me on my config (8800GTS 640MB on DVI to Dell 2407WFP, XP SP2, 158.22 ForceWare). However, after I play a 16:10 WS game the scaling is broken until I reboot. I need to do moer testing to see if I can figure out what's happening but it did work after one reboot in a 4:3 game at 1600x1200 (no scaling option).

Thanks to Brian S as well for passing the issue on a few weeks ago.
[quote name='party' date='May 5 2007, 10:12 PM']Is there a workaround for Vista? I want to run my Vista thru my 60" 1080p Bravia in prep for Crysis, and I want to be able to see the edges of my screen.

[snapback]193728[/snapback]

As I said in the other thread thanks Nvidia for starting to address the problem.

It works for me on my config (8800GTS 640MB on DVI to Dell 2407WFP, XP SP2, 158.22 ForceWare). However, after I play a 16:10 WS game the scaling is broken until I reboot. I need to do moer testing to see if I can figure out what's happening but it did work after one reboot in a 4:3 game at 1600x1200 (no scaling option).

Thanks to Brian S as well for passing the issue on a few weeks ago.

Posted 05/09/2007 04:11 AM   
I have an 8600GTS, with a LG 37" true 1080p LCD TV hooked up via DVI -> HDMI. I have a OriginAE S21T case with a 12" LCD touch screen that supports 1080p, so I have it configured as a clone display of what is on the HDTV. When I adjust the size in the control panel, the changes are seen on the 12" display (VGA hookup) but the HDTV is unaffected. I tried installing the patch and rebooting twice with no avail.

Update: I hooked the HDTV up via component and now it seems to work, albeit 1080i instead of 1080p. I suppose this is fine, but would really like to get HDMI to work.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
I have an 8600GTS, with a LG 37" true 1080p LCD TV hooked up via DVI -> HDMI. I have a OriginAE S21T case with a 12" LCD touch screen that supports 1080p, so I have it configured as a clone display of what is on the HDTV. When I adjust the size in the control panel, the changes are seen on the 12" display (VGA hookup) but the HDTV is unaffected. I tried installing the patch and rebooting twice with no avail.

Update: I hooked the HDTV up via component and now it seems to work, albeit 1080i instead of 1080p. I suppose this is fine, but would really like to get HDMI to work.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Posted 05/10/2007 01:03 AM   
[quote name='Treytor' date='May 9 2007, 07:03 PM']I have an 8600GTS, with a LG 37" true 1080p LCD TV hooked up via DVI -> HDMI.  I have a OriginAE S21T case with a 12" LCD touch screen that supports 1080p, so I have it configured as a clone display of what is on the HDTV.  When I adjust the size in the control panel, the changes are seen on the 12" display (VGA hookup) but the HDTV is unaffected.  I tried installing the patch and rebooting twice with no avail.

Update: I hooked the HDTV up via component and now it seems to work, albeit 1080i instead of 1080p.  I suppose this is fine, but would really like to get HDMI to work. 

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...
[right][snapback]195214[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Im using mine via a hdmi to DVI cable and its working perfectly i had to uncheck treat as HDTV and also select the " USE MY DISPLAYS SCALING) settings tab and all work great..!!!

the new drivers work great.. and fixed the issue finally!!!!
[quote name='Treytor' date='May 9 2007, 07:03 PM']I have an 8600GTS, with a LG 37" true 1080p LCD TV hooked up via DVI -> HDMI.  I have a OriginAE S21T case with a 12" LCD touch screen that supports 1080p, so I have it configured as a clone display of what is on the HDTV.  When I adjust the size in the control panel, the changes are seen on the 12" display (VGA hookup) but the HDTV is unaffected.  I tried installing the patch and rebooting twice with no avail.

Update: I hooked the HDTV up via component and now it seems to work, albeit 1080i instead of 1080p.  I suppose this is fine, but would really like to get HDMI to work. 

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

[snapback]195214[/snapback]

Im using mine via a hdmi to DVI cable and its working perfectly i had to uncheck treat as HDTV and also select the " USE MY DISPLAYS SCALING) settings tab and all work great..!!!

Posted 05/11/2007 08:03 AM   
[quote name='jiu-jitsuGOD' date='May 11 2007, 12:03 AM']Im using mine via a hdmi to DVI cable and its working perfectly i had to uncheck treat as HDTV and also select  the " USE MY DISPLAYS SCALING)  settings tab and all work great..!!!

[right][snapback]195718[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

When I do this, the option to resize my desktop disappears and I have overscan issues...
[quote name='jiu-jitsuGOD' date='May 11 2007, 12:03 AM']Im using mine via a hdmi to DVI cable and its working perfectly i had to uncheck treat as HDTV and also select  the " USE MY DISPLAYS SCALING)  settings tab and all work great..!!!

[snapback]195718[/snapback]

When I do this, the option to resize my desktop disappears and I have overscan issues...

Posted 05/15/2007 08:08 PM   
On one hand, I am happy that this issue has finally been addressed, as I've been unable to fully use the 8800 I purchased back in December of 06. On the other hand, I am outraged that for the last five months I've been stuck using an old driver (96.97), because it was the only version without overscan broken. I have not been able to play many games due to bugs in that driver.

I doubt/hope that I will not have to upgrade my video card anytime soon, but when the time comes, I will serious consider if I will continue to purchase products from NVIDIA.

The level of support that I have received, especially after spending what I consider a large some of money for a video card, is simply unacceptable.
On one hand, I am happy that this issue has finally been addressed, as I've been unable to fully use the 8800 I purchased back in December of 06. On the other hand, I am outraged that for the last five months I've been stuck using an old driver (96.97), because it was the only version without overscan broken. I have not been able to play many games due to bugs in that driver.

I doubt/hope that I will not have to upgrade my video card anytime soon, but when the time comes, I will serious consider if I will continue to purchase products from NVIDIA.

The level of support that I have received, especially after spending what I consider a large some of money for a video card, is simply unacceptable.

Posted 05/16/2007 10:17 PM   
I've taken all the original advice from the OP, however mine is still cropping. I have an 8800gts 320mb on an xp installation. Unfortunately its an old analog 68cm tv. It appears that even though I used the registry hack and followed the instructions to a T it wont allow me to set 800 x 600 and forces it back to whatever my setting is on my monitor. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working on this problem without result for 2 weeks now.
I've taken all the original advice from the OP, however mine is still cropping. I have an 8800gts 320mb on an xp installation. Unfortunately its an old analog 68cm tv. It appears that even though I used the registry hack and followed the instructions to a T it wont allow me to set 800 x 600 and forces it back to whatever my setting is on my monitor. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working on this problem without result for 2 weeks now.

Posted 05/17/2007 01:32 AM   
Well Im having a problem quite the opposite. I have an old Samsung analog TV (using composite connection) and when I run movies in full screen mode a most annoying grey frame appears around the movie. I have browsed through all the options in the control panel. The resize screen option does absolutely nothing for me. I keep clicking on the -+, but nothing happens. Im able to adjust position though, but by no means the size. I have had Gef2, Gef4Ti, Gef6600, using the same Samsung TV, never before have I met this problem. Now I finally decide to spend some big bucks on a 8800GTS and some things change for the worse?
Is there a solution for this? Any help will be appreciated.
(WinXP, 158.22, registry tweak done)

Cheers!
Well Im having a problem quite the opposite. I have an old Samsung analog TV (using composite connection) and when I run movies in full screen mode a most annoying grey frame appears around the movie. I have browsed through all the options in the control panel. The resize screen option does absolutely nothing for me. I keep clicking on the -+, but nothing happens. Im able to adjust position though, but by no means the size. I have had Gef2, Gef4Ti, Gef6600, using the same Samsung TV, never before have I met this problem. Now I finally decide to spend some big bucks on a 8800GTS and some things change for the worse?

Is there a solution for this? Any help will be appreciated.

(WinXP, 158.22, registry tweak done)

Cheers!

Posted 05/17/2007 08:22 AM   
On a side note, you might want to word the answer to a bit more clearly indicate that TV Overscan Correction and Flat Panel Resolution Scaling are the same thing. Unless you already know what Overscan Correction is, there is no real indication that it has any bearing on the nVidia Scaling and fixed aspect-ratio controls.

When I was trying to fix my scaling problems, I recalling running through that article several times all wondering "What the <beep> do TV's have to do with scaling problems?"
On a side note, you might want to word the answer to a bit more clearly indicate that TV Overscan Correction and Flat Panel Resolution Scaling are the same thing. Unless you already know what Overscan Correction is, there is no real indication that it has any bearing on the nVidia Scaling and fixed aspect-ratio controls.

When I was trying to fix my scaling problems, I recalling running through that article several times all wondering "What the <beep> do TV's have to do with scaling problems?"

Posted 05/20/2007 05:14 AM   
[quote name='soylentgreen183' date='May 17 2007, 09:17 AM']On one hand, I am happy that this issue has finally been addressed, as I've been unable to fully use the 8800 I purchased back in December of 06. On the other hand, I am outraged that for the last five months I've been stuck using an old driver (96.97), because it was the only version without overscan broken. I have not been able to play many games due to bugs in that driver.

[right][snapback]197796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

honestly, tell it to someone who cares.

this is a user to user forum, not a user to nvidia's driver team forum, and we don't care about whether your going to buy nvidia again or not.
[quote name='soylentgreen183' date='May 17 2007, 09:17 AM']On one hand, I am happy that this issue has finally been addressed, as I've been unable to fully use the 8800 I purchased back in December of 06. On the other hand, I am outraged that for the last five months I've been stuck using an old driver (96.97), because it was the only version without overscan broken. I have not been able to play many games due to bugs in that driver.

[snapback]197796[/snapback]

honestly, tell it to someone who cares.

this is a user to user forum, not a user to nvidia's driver team forum, and we don't care about whether your going to buy nvidia again or not.

Posted 05/20/2007 05:20 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top