How do I monitor GPU temperature?
Dear folks,

I need some help with my video card. I need to find a way to monitor the GPU temperature of a GeForce FX 5500 based video card. The manufacturer is PNY. I just got it second-hand from my girlfriend, who took good care of it. I have the card installed and everything seems to work well enough, but I'd like to be able to get a temperature reading of the GPU and the fan speed of the GPU cooler.

You see, one of the teeny (and wimpy) black plastic posts that hold the cooler against the GPU chip broke. I was able to replace it (sort of) with a standard issue screw. But still, the thermal grease seal between the GPU and the heatsink was broken and I am concerned that the ability of the GPU cooler to keep the GPU cool may be permanently damaged. Thankfully, I did not RUN the card with a loose GPU cooler.

But still, I'd like to keep track of the GPU temperature so I can make sure the card is staying cool enough. It would also be helpful if someone could give me the acceptable range of temperatures for this GPU.

I already downloaded "NTune" and it won't show me GPU temp or fan speed. It's possible this card simply won't report that data.

Any suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks.
Dear folks,

I need some help with my video card. I need to find a way to monitor the GPU temperature of a GeForce FX 5500 based video card. The manufacturer is PNY. I just got it second-hand from my girlfriend, who took good care of it. I have the card installed and everything seems to work well enough, but I'd like to be able to get a temperature reading of the GPU and the fan speed of the GPU cooler.

You see, one of the teeny (and wimpy) black plastic posts that hold the cooler against the GPU chip broke. I was able to replace it (sort of) with a standard issue screw. But still, the thermal grease seal between the GPU and the heatsink was broken and I am concerned that the ability of the GPU cooler to keep the GPU cool may be permanently damaged. Thankfully, I did not RUN the card with a loose GPU cooler.

But still, I'd like to keep track of the GPU temperature so I can make sure the card is staying cool enough. It would also be helpful if someone could give me the acceptable range of temperatures for this GPU.

I already downloaded "NTune" and it won't show me GPU temp or fan speed. It's possible this card simply won't report that data.

Any suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks.

Posted 04/30/2007 01:15 AM   
Scroll To Top