NO SIGNAL, BLANK SCREEN VISTA Please post here if you have this issue
  1 / 36    
Hi All,

I have been searching the forums and found a number of different posts regarding the issue of a blank screen/no video signal after a new driver install on Vista and thought I might try and start a post for everyone experiencing this issue to see if a common thread appears. For my part I get this issue in the following circumstances:

- Vista x64
- XFX 8800 GTS
- Any driver above 100.65

As with most people I know Vista is starting as I can hear the chime sound as it boots into windows but no display. I have tried most of the common remedies such as lowering my pre-install resolution, switching DVI ports after install, etc etc and thus far the only fix I have found is to boot into safe mode and remove the driver and all is well.

100.65 which is the most recent WHQL version from what I can tell is the only version which works for me and I wonder whether the WHQL certification or driver signing has something to do with this however since I am no driver signing expert I will defer to those who are.

Thanks
Tom
Hi All,

I have been searching the forums and found a number of different posts regarding the issue of a blank screen/no video signal after a new driver install on Vista and thought I might try and start a post for everyone experiencing this issue to see if a common thread appears. For my part I get this issue in the following circumstances:

- Vista x64

- XFX 8800 GTS

- Any driver above 100.65

As with most people I know Vista is starting as I can hear the chime sound as it boots into windows but no display. I have tried most of the common remedies such as lowering my pre-install resolution, switching DVI ports after install, etc etc and thus far the only fix I have found is to boot into safe mode and remove the driver and all is well.

100.65 which is the most recent WHQL version from what I can tell is the only version which works for me and I wonder whether the WHQL certification or driver signing has something to do with this however since I am no driver signing expert I will defer to those who are.

Thanks

Tom

Posted 04/18/2007 09:27 PM   
I had this same issue. TO fix it I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the nvidia driver from the add/remove programs, rebooted and then reinstalled the driver.

Not sure what I did wrong I followed the instructions for installing it the first time.

I was in Vista (32) with a LCD TV connected via DVI
I had this same issue. TO fix it I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the nvidia driver from the add/remove programs, rebooted and then reinstalled the driver.

Not sure what I did wrong I followed the instructions for installing it the first time.

I was in Vista (32) with a LCD TV connected via DVI

Posted 04/18/2007 09:49 PM   
I have the exact problem that you are having. It occurs just as after the screen goes blank to install the new driver. You hear the "device disconnected" sound that Vista makes and then it just stays that way. Normally the device should re-initialize after the new driver is installed but in this case it doesn't. Rebooting into safe mode and un-installing the driver is the only way to get a signal back.

I too can only use 100.65 WHQL. Anything newer than that produces the same problem. My system specs are as follows:

Vista Business 32bit
P4 3.0E Prescott with HT enabled (no o/c)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe w/ most recent BIOS
2x1GB Corsair DDR400 PC3200 RAM running in dual channel mode
Leadtek 7800GS AGP stock (no o/c)
X-FI ExtremeMusic Soundcard w/ latest drivers
Antec TruePower 550W PSU
Viewsonic vx2025wm Widescreen monitor @1680x1050 native resolution
I have the exact problem that you are having. It occurs just as after the screen goes blank to install the new driver. You hear the "device disconnected" sound that Vista makes and then it just stays that way. Normally the device should re-initialize after the new driver is installed but in this case it doesn't. Rebooting into safe mode and un-installing the driver is the only way to get a signal back.

I too can only use 100.65 WHQL. Anything newer than that produces the same problem. My system specs are as follows:

Vista Business 32bit

P4 3.0E Prescott with HT enabled (no o/c)

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe w/ most recent BIOS

Leadtek 7800GS AGP stock (no o/c)

X-FI ExtremeMusic Soundcard w/ latest drivers

Antec TruePower 550W PSU

Viewsonic vx2025wm Widescreen monitor @1680x1050 native resolution

Posted 04/18/2007 09:53 PM   
I submitted a bug report [url="https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=7498eac864dc1950c8f09e040b4a437a"]Here[/url]
I suggest anyone else with this issue do the same.
I submitted a bug report Here

I suggest anyone else with this issue do the same.

Posted 04/18/2007 11:43 PM   
Same problem i have tryed many windows version and driver, always black screen after drivers.

i cant even use 100.65.

window vista 64
asus 8800 gts 640mb
abit kn9
athlon 64 x2 4200+ m2
Kingston DDR2 800Mhz
Same problem i have tryed many windows version and driver, always black screen after drivers.

i cant even use 100.65.

window vista 64

asus 8800 gts 640mb

abit kn9

athlon 64 x2 4200+ m2

Kingston DDR2 800Mhz

Posted 04/19/2007 03:27 AM   
I to have the exact same issue. Anything other than 100.65 does not work and causes this to happen. Any newer drivers cause the NO SIGNAL after install. I have tried .inf modding and all sorts of things. I even put an ATI card in my system and ran Cat 7.4's and had the same issue. This makes me believe it has nothing to do with nvidia's driver. It may have something more to do with the monitor itself somehow now using it's EDID properly. It does not explain why 100.65 works with no issue. So who know. I hope it is something nvidia can fix.
I to have the exact same issue. Anything other than 100.65 does not work and causes this to happen. Any newer drivers cause the NO SIGNAL after install. I have tried .inf modding and all sorts of things. I even put an ATI card in my system and ran Cat 7.4's and had the same issue. This makes me believe it has nothing to do with nvidia's driver. It may have something more to do with the monitor itself somehow now using it's EDID properly. It does not explain why 100.65 works with no issue. So who know. I hope it is something nvidia can fix.

Posted 04/20/2007 01:16 AM   
Is there any chance you all have the DVI connection in common? If your monitor has a VGA connector aswell, try using that with an adaptor. Not really a solution but just throwing ideas out there.
Is there any chance you all have the DVI connection in common? If your monitor has a VGA connector aswell, try using that with an adaptor. Not really a solution but just throwing ideas out there.

Posted 04/20/2007 01:24 AM   
I have this too but am using a VGA connection. When I try to update the drivers I have an intial driver uninstall and the monitor flickers to life. After the reboot, I have another round of uninstall and the monitor is still alive. On the next Reboot I am in VGA mode...drivers install and on the next reboot I have no signal.

No choice but to go into safe mode and back to old drivers.
I have this too but am using a VGA connection. When I try to update the drivers I have an intial driver uninstall and the monitor flickers to life. After the reboot, I have another round of uninstall and the monitor is still alive. On the next Reboot I am in VGA mode...drivers install and on the next reboot I have no signal.

Posted 04/20/2007 02:12 AM   
I am also experiencing this issue, using anything above the 100.65 drivers results in the issues mentioned above. I am using Vista x64 with a 7800GT and an Avidav Monitor connected via DVI
I am also experiencing this issue, using anything above the 100.65 drivers results in the issues mentioned above. I am using Vista x64 with a 7800GT and an Avidav Monitor connected via DVI

Posted 04/20/2007 04:23 AM   
Same as, My 8800gtx is fine using 100.65 but any driver after that just give a no signal on my monitor.

Tried a clean install of Vista x64 but still the same.
Same as, My 8800gtx is fine using 100.65 but any driver after that just give a no signal on my monitor.

Tried a clean install of Vista x64 but still the same.

Posted 04/20/2007 10:55 AM   
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:24 PM']Is there any chance you all have the DVI connection in common?  If your monitor has a VGA connector aswell, try using that with an adaptor.  Not really a solution but just throwing ideas out there.
[right][snapback]187340[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sticky, no I haven't tried this as my monitor has no VGA connection. I do have an old VGA monitor lying around, I'll see if I can find my adapter and see what happens. I know someone above posted it happens with a VGA connected, but this seems to be an issue really for those of us with DVI connection. Although, don't most people on the forums here use DVI with no issue? Again, it's a troubling problem and not quite sure what to do about it.
[quote name='Stickywulf' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:24 PM']Is there any chance you all have the DVI connection in common?  If your monitor has a VGA connector aswell, try using that with an adaptor.  Not really a solution but just throwing ideas out there.

[snapback]187340[/snapback]

Sticky, no I haven't tried this as my monitor has no VGA connection. I do have an old VGA monitor lying around, I'll see if I can find my adapter and see what happens. I know someone above posted it happens with a VGA connected, but this seems to be an issue really for those of us with DVI connection. Although, don't most people on the forums here use DVI with no issue? Again, it's a troubling problem and not quite sure what to do about it.

Posted 04/20/2007 01:07 PM   
[quote name='doenute' date='Apr 20 2007, 10:12 AM']I have this too but am using a VGA connection.  When I try to update the drivers I have an intial driver uninstall and the monitor flickers to life.  After the reboot, I have another round of uninstall and the monitor is still alive.  On the next Reboot I am in VGA mode...drivers install and on the next reboot I have no signal.

[right][snapback]187363[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]After all those uninstalls and then you have no signal, take a chance and install the driver one more time from safe mode. The only cost is a few minutes of your time. I installed 158.18 a few times over the top of itself before it finally worked correctly.
[quote]Sticky, no I haven't tried this as my monitor has no VGA connection. I do have an old VGA monitor lying around, I'll see if I can find my adapter and see what happens. I know someone above posted it happens with a VGA connected, but this seems to be an issue really for those of us with DVI connection. Although, don't most people on the forums here use DVI with no issue? Again, it's a troubling problem and not quite sure what to do about it.[/quote]I am only guessing this as a possible problem because of some people who posted about it on some of the earlier drivers in February. Apparently they could install the driver with a VGA adaptor and then once it worked, switch to a DVI connection. It's an old issue so maybe it is not important, I am just trying to give ideas to so maybe one person might get it to work. I dont have DVI connector so I could never try it for myself.

I am Stickywulf.
[quote name='doenute' date='Apr 20 2007, 10:12 AM']I have this too but am using a VGA connection.  When I try to update the drivers I have an intial driver uninstall and the monitor flickers to life.  After the reboot, I have another round of uninstall and the monitor is still alive.  On the next Reboot I am in VGA mode...drivers install and on the next reboot I have no signal.

[snapback]187363[/snapback]

After all those uninstalls and then you have no signal, take a chance and install the driver one more time from safe mode. The only cost is a few minutes of your time. I installed 158.18 a few times over the top of itself before it finally worked correctly.

I am only guessing this as a possible problem because of some people who posted about it on some of the earlier drivers in February. Apparently they could install the driver with a VGA adaptor and then once it worked, switch to a DVI connection. It's an old issue so maybe it is not important, I am just trying to give ideas to so maybe one person might get it to work. I dont have DVI connector so I could never try it for myself.

I am Stickywulf.

Posted 04/20/2007 02:06 PM   
I have the same issue when when i boot, my screen does not turn on. I want to boot into safe mode to delete this driver but how can i when my monitor does not turn on?
I have my computer running right now, the fans are running but there is no cpu or disk activity and my monitor has no signal.
this all started after rebooting from installing the 158.18 driver

can someone help me because its kind of hard to fix a comuter when there is no signal

My computer:
Vista Ultimate x86
Asus p4p800 se
P4 3.0GHz
eVGA 7600 GS
1.5 GB
I have the same issue when when i boot, my screen does not turn on. I want to boot into safe mode to delete this driver but how can i when my monitor does not turn on?

I have my computer running right now, the fans are running but there is no cpu or disk activity and my monitor has no signal.

this all started after rebooting from installing the 158.18 driver

can someone help me because its kind of hard to fix a comuter when there is no signal

My computer:

Vista Ultimate x86

Asus p4p800 se

P4 3.0GHz

eVGA 7600 GS

1.5 GB

Posted 04/20/2007 02:10 PM   
^^Hold down the power button for 5secs until the computer turns off. Then when you restart you will be able to see the POST screen. Once post is finished quickly press [f8] a few times and you will have the option to choose safe mode. If you cannot see the POST screen after the cold boot then the problem is not the drivers.

I am Stickywulf.
^^Hold down the power button for 5secs until the computer turns off. Then when you restart you will be able to see the POST screen. Once post is finished quickly press [f8] a few times and you will have the option to choose safe mode. If you cannot see the POST screen after the cold boot then the problem is not the drivers.

I am Stickywulf.

Posted 04/20/2007 02:40 PM   
I have the same problem, except that I'm using the component output. I do however get some (too dark) image when booting in low resolution mode (640x480) en then selecting 576P or 576i. Any resolution higher then that puts the TV out of sync and eventually the TV will give up and turn blank. Which initialy also happens when installing the drivers.

PC stats:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
MSI K8N SLI Platinum (with latest BIOS)
MSI 7800GT
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
I have the same problem, except that I'm using the component output. I do however get some (too dark) image when booting in low resolution mode (640x480) en then selecting 576P or 576i. Any resolution higher then that puts the TV out of sync and eventually the TV will give up and turn blank. Which initialy also happens when installing the drivers.

PC stats:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

MSI K8N SLI Platinum (with latest BIOS)

MSI 7800GT

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Posted 04/20/2007 04:03 PM   
  1 / 36    
Scroll To Top