Guild Wars + Vista: Very low FPS
  1 / 2    
I got a problem with my Guild Wars game. I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista 32 bit and now my performance is very low 14 FPS where I have normally 45-60 FPS). I already tried many things:

* New drivers from nVidia. Even the latest ForceWare 158.18
* Various compatibility modes
* Used ATITool to check if the card goes into 3D mode at game launch =>> it does

When I go back to Win 2000 it runs fine again. In Vista there seems to be a small random chance that it starts fine, then the FPS is good again but when I switch map it goes to low performance again. Disabling sound does not help so it's not sound related.

System specs:
GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB (Non OC)
resolution: 1920x1200 @ 32 bit and 2x FSAA
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (Non OC)
2 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (Non OC)
Asus A8N-SLI (nForce 4 SLI chipset)
Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Music

gw.exe -nosound and gw.exe -dsound do not help anything.
Disabling FSAA gives back some performance, but still the framerate is lower than I normally have with FSAA turned on.

Any clues how I can solve this?

Update: 3DMark 06 has a good performance under Vista (3813 3DMarks, Similar to Win2000), so my system is able to perform under Vista. I also tried the LargeSystemCache registry tweak, but it does not help either.

Any help is welcome...

Ps. Topic originally posted at GuildWarsGuru forums, but no solution from there yet. I also would like your hints/tips/opinions plz.

[b]Update[/b]:
The major problem seems to occur when the game has been minimized and restored again.
I got a problem with my Guild Wars game. I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista 32 bit and now my performance is very low 14 FPS where I have normally 45-60 FPS). I already tried many things:

* New drivers from nVidia. Even the latest ForceWare 158.18

* Various compatibility modes

* Used ATITool to check if the card goes into 3D mode at game launch =>> it does

When I go back to Win 2000 it runs fine again. In Vista there seems to be a small random chance that it starts fine, then the FPS is good again but when I switch map it goes to low performance again. Disabling sound does not help so it's not sound related.

System specs:

GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB (Non OC)

resolution: 1920x1200 @ 32 bit and 2x FSAA

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (Non OC)

2 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (Non OC)

Asus A8N-SLI (nForce 4 SLI chipset)

Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Music

gw.exe -nosound and gw.exe -dsound do not help anything.

Disabling FSAA gives back some performance, but still the framerate is lower than I normally have with FSAA turned on.

Any clues how I can solve this?

Update: 3DMark 06 has a good performance under Vista (3813 3DMarks, Similar to Win2000), so my system is able to perform under Vista. I also tried the LargeSystemCache registry tweak, but it does not help either.

Any help is welcome...

Ps. Topic originally posted at GuildWarsGuru forums, but no solution from there yet. I also would like your hints/tips/opinions plz.

Update:

The major problem seems to occur when the game has been minimized and restored again.

Posted 04/18/2007 09:28 AM   
Well, how are your Sound Blaster drivers? I know from reading these forums that sometimes SB cards/drivers have serious issues with Vista causing all sorts of havok.

What other drivers have you tried for your video card? Maybe one of the older drivers might work better for you(just because it's a newer driver does not mean it will work better for you and your issues).

And sadly, Vista is running games slower than XP or 2k right now(k, I knew of XP, and pretty much assuming that 2k is also like that). We are getting better fps than a few months ago, but still aways from there.
Well, how are your Sound Blaster drivers? I know from reading these forums that sometimes SB cards/drivers have serious issues with Vista causing all sorts of havok.

What other drivers have you tried for your video card? Maybe one of the older drivers might work better for you(just because it's a newer driver does not mean it will work better for you and your issues).

And sadly, Vista is running games slower than XP or 2k right now(k, I knew of XP, and pretty much assuming that 2k is also like that). We are getting better fps than a few months ago, but still aways from there.

Posted 04/18/2007 10:29 AM   
Yes, I have beta soundblaster drivers. But it even happens when I disable sound as you can read, so this is not sound-related.
Yes, I have beta soundblaster drivers. But it even happens when I disable sound as you can read, so this is not sound-related.

Posted 04/18/2007 02:05 PM   
Disable sound in the game, or completely uninstall the SB card?
Disable sound in the game, or completely uninstall the SB card?

Posted 04/18/2007 03:16 PM   
I use gw.exe -nosound to startup Guild Wars with sound support disabled.
I use gw.exe -nosound to startup Guild Wars with sound support disabled.

Posted 04/19/2007 08:37 AM   
Uninstall the SB card, drivers and all. It's the drivers themselves that are causing issues for others. Seems that the Creative Labs boys did a number on the drivers and causes all sorts of crap on Vista. I am not sure if it's a fully fixed issue, or if it's an "nVidia" fixed issue(fixed for some, still broke for others), but just to eliminate one possible issue.

Let us know.
Uninstall the SB card, drivers and all. It's the drivers themselves that are causing issues for others. Seems that the Creative Labs boys did a number on the drivers and causes all sorts of crap on Vista. I am not sure if it's a fully fixed issue, or if it's an "nVidia" fixed issue(fixed for some, still broke for others), but just to eliminate one possible issue.

Let us know.

Posted 04/19/2007 02:01 PM   
GW released a update that i believe fixes the low FPS
GW released a update that i believe fixes the low FPS

CPU: i7 920@4.2GHz | GPU: x2 GALAXY GTX 480 SLI | MOBO: Evga X58 Classified | RAM: G.Skill Trident 6Gb | PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 950W

Posted 04/20/2007 03:13 AM   
it was a vista problem......... not your soundcard or anything else........
it was a vista problem......... not your soundcard or anything else........

Posted 04/22/2007 05:47 AM   
Uninstalling the soundcard is not an option since I use this device all the time. And again, running GW with sound support disabled does not help a bit.

This issue has been submitted to Guild Wars support and their dev team is investigating it. I'll keep trying new drivers too as they arrive. Until then I'll disable any FSAA to be able to play with reasonable FPS.
Uninstalling the soundcard is not an option since I use this device all the time. And again, running GW with sound support disabled does not help a bit.

This issue has been submitted to Guild Wars support and their dev team is investigating it. I'll keep trying new drivers too as they arrive. Until then I'll disable any FSAA to be able to play with reasonable FPS.

Posted 04/24/2007 11:11 AM   
again..........VISTA............

I've got two [b]identical[/b] systems running pretty much next to each other, and GW runs like arse on the vista one.................

(been playing GW since it came out, active in the gw community and chat with jeff strain and gaile every 3 weeks for one of the larger gw fan sites.....it's a known issue with vista, they have a few and most directly affect FPS)
again..........VISTA............

I've got two identical systems running pretty much next to each other, and GW runs like arse on the vista one.................

(been playing GW since it came out, active in the gw community and chat with jeff strain and gaile every 3 weeks for one of the larger gw fan sites.....it's a known issue with vista, they have a few and most directly affect FPS)

Posted 04/25/2007 03:13 AM   
Hmz, I have no option left than to wait this out I guess. My Windows 2000 is end-of-support unfortunately. (X-FI drivers)

Since Vista should become the main PC gaming platform [b]sooner or later[/b] I hope it gets fixed. Rather sooner than later.
Hmz, I have no option left than to wait this out I guess. My Windows 2000 is end-of-support unfortunately. (X-FI drivers)

Since Vista should become the main PC gaming platform sooner or later I hope it gets fixed. Rather sooner than later.

Posted 05/01/2007 12:40 PM   
[quote name='Hyper' date='May 1 2007, 04:40 AM']Hmz, I have no option left than to wait this out I guess. My Windows 2000 is end-of-support unfortunately. (X-FI drivers)

Since Vista should become the main PC gaming platform [b]sooner or later[/b] I hope it gets fixed. Rather sooner than later.
[right][snapback]191812[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Are you also getting the background "flicker" ingame?
[quote name='Hyper' date='May 1 2007, 04:40 AM']Hmz, I have no option left than to wait this out I guess. My Windows 2000 is end-of-support unfortunately. (X-FI drivers)

Since Vista should become the main PC gaming platform sooner or later I hope it gets fixed. Rather sooner than later.

[snapback]191812[/snapback]

Are you also getting the background "flicker" ingame?

Posted 05/04/2007 04:22 AM   
[quote name='Shoboy' date='May 4 2007, 05:22 AM']Are you also getting the background "flicker" ingame?
[right][snapback]193010[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nope, not at all. Just low performance.
[quote name='Shoboy' date='May 4 2007, 05:22 AM']Are you also getting the background "flicker" ingame?

[snapback]193010[/snapback]

Nope, not at all. Just low performance.

Posted 07/11/2007 10:04 AM   
[quote name='Hyper' date='Apr 18 2007, 09:28 PM'][b]Update[/b]:
[right][snapback]186329[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm [url="http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10185061"]getting this problem too[/url], as are a few people.

Having been through a lengthy debug process with PlayNC / ArenaNet over this, the problem seems to be linked to nVidia drivers, rather than anything else system or software specific. The only people reporting the problem are owners of nVidia cards, and they're only having issues under Vista.

Disabling other services, such as Sidebar or Aero, has no effect on the performance of the application. Running Guild Wars with all the candy off ("C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -noshaders -nosound -dx8) doesn't fix it either. There's some evidence that we're probably looking at a driver issue as that command strips Guild Wars down to the bare minimum.

I've tried the new Beta drivers (163.11) as well as the existing WHQL drivers (162.22), neither of which have any effect. Interestingly, it works fine on my laptop, which reports it is using "98" drivers - something very old, and no doubt HP proprietary. This could imply that the problem has been introduced by something new in the more recent driver sets.

It would be really useful if someone at nVidia could look into this problem. It doesn't appear to be something that can be easily fixed by disabling sound drivers, or uninstalling stuff on your system. Some considerable effort has been made to reduce effected systems to a common base level, with no effect.

There's been no official response from nVidia in this thread, but the problem is out there and becoming more prevalent. ArenaNet / PlayNC are collating information but don't believe it's to do with their game (perhaps because they don't have the same issues with customers not running nVidia hardware).

I've done a number of other things such as installing KB938194 and KB938979. Also, I've [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en"]re-touched DirectX[/url].

Thoughts/comments?
[quote name='Hyper' date='Apr 18 2007, 09:28 PM']Update:

[snapback]186329[/snapback]

I'm getting this problem too, as are a few people.

Having been through a lengthy debug process with PlayNC / ArenaNet over this, the problem seems to be linked to nVidia drivers, rather than anything else system or software specific. The only people reporting the problem are owners of nVidia cards, and they're only having issues under Vista.

Disabling other services, such as Sidebar or Aero, has no effect on the performance of the application. Running Guild Wars with all the candy off ("C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -noshaders -nosound -dx8) doesn't fix it either. There's some evidence that we're probably looking at a driver issue as that command strips Guild Wars down to the bare minimum.

I've tried the new Beta drivers (163.11) as well as the existing WHQL drivers (162.22), neither of which have any effect. Interestingly, it works fine on my laptop, which reports it is using "98" drivers - something very old, and no doubt HP proprietary. This could imply that the problem has been introduced by something new in the more recent driver sets.

It would be really useful if someone at nVidia could look into this problem. It doesn't appear to be something that can be easily fixed by disabling sound drivers, or uninstalling stuff on your system. Some considerable effort has been made to reduce effected systems to a common base level, with no effect.

There's been no official response from nVidia in this thread, but the problem is out there and becoming more prevalent. ArenaNet / PlayNC are collating information but don't believe it's to do with their game (perhaps because they don't have the same issues with customers not running nVidia hardware).

I've done a number of other things such as installing KB938194 and KB938979. Also, I've re-touched DirectX.

Thoughts/comments?

Posted 08/16/2007 12:26 AM   
[quote name='fsckfsck' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:26 PM']I'm [url="http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10185061"]getting this problem too[/url], as are a few people.[/quote]

Got a [url="http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3050482&postcount=41"]final reply[/url] from PlayNC on this, who've managed to replicate the problem and point it squarely at a driver issue with nVidia cards.

Nice to know, but hard to get someone at nVidia to take notice :)

Anyway, I've compiled a small list of cards that are and aren't effected, from the information I have so far.

[quote]In terms of what's going on here, the systems effected are:
GeForce 7600GT
Geforce Go 7600
GeForce 7700
GeForce 7800GT

The systems not effected are:
GeForce Go 6150
GeForce 6800GS
GeForce 7950GTX

"Only 7600/7700/7800" at this stage appears to be the golden rule.[/quote]
[quote name='fsckfsck' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:26 PM']I'm getting this problem too, as are a few people.

Got a final reply from PlayNC on this, who've managed to replicate the problem and point it squarely at a driver issue with nVidia cards.

Nice to know, but hard to get someone at nVidia to take notice :)

Anyway, I've compiled a small list of cards that are and aren't effected, from the information I have so far.

In terms of what's going on here, the systems effected are:

GeForce 7600GT

Geforce Go 7600

GeForce 7700

GeForce 7800GT

The systems not effected are:

GeForce Go 6150

GeForce 6800GS

GeForce 7950GTX

"Only 7600/7700/7800" at this stage appears to be the golden rule.

Posted 08/17/2007 06:18 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top