Vista-NF3-ATI/AGP-Dual core AMD ONLY thread fix thread for above hardware only
  1 / 23    
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to fixing the Vista/NF3/ATI-agp/AMD-dual core issue with respect to the display adapter error 43.

Please only post if you have the following hardware:

OS Vista
NF3 based motherboard
ATI agp video card
AMD dual core CPU

Yes, everyone knows that you can get the graphics to work by disabling one of the cores on the CPU.

I've tried everything I can think of from different chipset drivers by manually forcing the installation which resulted in no changes or BSOD, changing the type of "computer" in the device manager and installing a Nvidia graphics card.

The only thing that worked was the installation of the Nvidia based 7800GS agp card.

To me there must be a work around for the ATI cards... something is fishy here!

Well after a whack of restarts and BSOD I got to the point that the display adapter does not indicate error 43! [b]BUT[/b] I also get a pop up window saying the "No ATI graphics driver is installed/or is not functioning"

So... let's keep this thread dedicated to a fix for this freak hardware problem....

Any ideas are welcome. I have dumped my registery but I can't make heads nor tails from it..

[img]http://ca.geocities.com/lbjgh@rogers.com/noerror43.jpg[/img]
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to fixing the Vista/NF3/ATI-agp/AMD-dual core issue with respect to the display adapter error 43.

Please only post if you have the following hardware:

OS Vista

NF3 based motherboard

ATI agp video card

AMD dual core CPU

Yes, everyone knows that you can get the graphics to work by disabling one of the cores on the CPU.

I've tried everything I can think of from different chipset drivers by manually forcing the installation which resulted in no changes or BSOD, changing the type of "computer" in the device manager and installing a Nvidia graphics card.

The only thing that worked was the installation of the Nvidia based 7800GS agp card.

To me there must be a work around for the ATI cards... something is fishy here!

Well after a whack of restarts and BSOD I got to the point that the display adapter does not indicate error 43! BUT I also get a pop up window saying the "No ATI graphics driver is installed/or is not functioning"

So... let's keep this thread dedicated to a fix for this freak hardware problem....

Any ideas are welcome. I have dumped my registery but I can't make heads nor tails from it..

Posted 04/13/2007 03:46 AM   
I have gotten to this point as well... the memory addressing issue is still there though, and I'm fairly confident there is nothing that can be done about it until nVidia wakes up and starts developing something.
I have gotten to this point as well... the memory addressing issue is still there though, and I'm fairly confident there is nothing that can be done about it until nVidia wakes up and starts developing something.

Posted 04/13/2007 04:35 AM   
AND YOU COULDN'T POST THIS IN THE OTHER ATI+NF3 THREAD WHY!?

...i should pm brian and have them merge them just to annoy you....
AND YOU COULDN'T POST THIS IN THE OTHER ATI+NF3 THREAD WHY!?

Posted 04/13/2007 04:41 AM   
There was a pile of unrelated junk in there from people that didn't have the specific hardware.

[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Apr 12 2007, 11:41 PM']AND YOU COULDN'T POST THIS IN THE OTHER ATI+NF3 THREAD WHY!?

[right][snapback]183807[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There was a pile of unrelated junk in there from people that didn't have the specific hardware.

[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Apr 12 2007, 11:41 PM']AND YOU COULDN'T POST THIS IN THE OTHER ATI+NF3 THREAD WHY!?

[snapback]183807[/snapback]

Posted 04/13/2007 04:58 AM   
right....

pming brian....

have you tried the beta 4.40 inf

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#[/url]
right....

pming brian....

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#

Posted 04/13/2007 05:04 AM   
[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Apr 13 2007, 06:04 AM']right....

pming brian....

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#[/url]
[right][snapback]183819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Has anyone tried this yet? I don't really want to reinstall Vista again unless there's some hope that this is going to work! Many thanks to Squall for posting this btw.
[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Apr 13 2007, 06:04 AM']right....

pming brian....

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32179#

[snapback]183819[/snapback]

Has anyone tried this yet? I don't really want to reinstall Vista again unless there's some hope that this is going to work! Many thanks to Squall for posting this btw.

Posted 04/13/2007 11:11 AM   
I also have this really fascinating error code 43. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

Let me tell you - I contacted Asrock and asked them: "I was wondering - have you made any progress with nvidia for finding a solution for the "code 43" error?"

They replied:

"Dear Sir,

You can find the information on ATi website:
[url="http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894"]http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894[/url]
Please go to above link, click Knowledge Base----àRadeon Support-PC (In the left side)----àRadeon X1950Series

BR,

ASRock"

Under that link is a text:

"737-24498: Windows Vista: Code 43 Error in Device Manager in Systems with ATI AGP Cards and Nforce3 Chipset Motherboards

Solution
Please contact NVidia Corp. (www.nvidia.com) for more information on this issue."

Apparently no-one wants to take responsibility of this problem. ´Look for an answer some where else - don`t blame me´ - mentality seems to be very common also in this business. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

My system:

OS - Vista Ultimate
VGA - X800XT AGP
Mobo - AM2NF3-VSTA
CPU - AMD X2 4200+
I also have this really fascinating error code 43. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

Let me tell you - I contacted Asrock and asked them: "I was wondering - have you made any progress with nvidia for finding a solution for the "code 43" error?"

They replied:

"Dear Sir,

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

Please go to above link, click Knowledge Base----àRadeon Support-PC (In the left side)----àRadeon X1950Series

BR,

ASRock"

"737-24498: Windows Vista: Code 43 Error in Device Manager in Systems with ATI AGP Cards and Nforce3 Chipset Motherboards

Solution

Please contact NVidia Corp. (www.nvidia.com) for more information on this issue."

Apparently no-one wants to take responsibility of this problem. ´Look for an answer some where else - don`t blame me´ - mentality seems to be very common also in this business. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

My system:

OS - Vista Ultimate

VGA - X800XT AGP

Mobo - AM2NF3-VSTA

CPU - AMD X2 4200+

Posted 04/13/2007 02:44 PM   
There are plenty of people with the SPECIFIC hardware that have this problem... I hope someone steps forward.

The interesting thing is when I installed a Geforce 7800GS AGP card everything worked properly... no errors at all.

I wonder if we should be leaning on ATI more...

[quote name='ResoNas' date='Apr 13 2007, 09:44 AM']I also have this really fascinating error code 43. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

They replied:

"Dear Sir,

[url="http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894"]http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894[/url]

BR,

ASRock"

Solution

Apparently no-one wants to take responsibility of this problem. ´Look for an answer some where else - don`t blame me´ - mentality seems to be very common also in this business.  /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

My system:

OS - Vista Ultimate
VGA - X800XT AGP
Mobo - AM2NF3-VSTA
CPU - AMD X2 4200+
[right][snapback]184026[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There are plenty of people with the SPECIFIC hardware that have this problem... I hope someone steps forward.

The interesting thing is when I installed a Geforce 7800GS AGP card everything worked properly... no errors at all.

I wonder if we should be leaning on ATI more...

[quote name='ResoNas' date='Apr 13 2007, 09:44 AM']I also have this really fascinating error code 43. /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

They replied:

"Dear Sir,

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

BR,

ASRock"

Solution

Apparently no-one wants to take responsibility of this problem. ´Look for an answer some where else - don`t blame me´ - mentality seems to be very common also in this business.  /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

My system:

OS - Vista Ultimate

VGA - X800XT AGP

Mobo - AM2NF3-VSTA

CPU - AMD X2 4200+

[snapback]184026[/snapback]

Posted 04/13/2007 04:52 PM   
o/s vista home prem 32bit
m/b asrock am2nf3-vsta
ati 850 agp
duel core

this above system throws up the error 43 code

I have at the moment replaced the ati with a nvidia 6100 (as a temp stopgap)
this all works ok

also have contacted asrock (they say its a nvidia problem as the above post states)

I too am now thinking is it an ATI problem !!
o/s vista home prem 32bit

m/b asrock am2nf3-vsta

ati 850 agp

duel core

this above system throws up the error 43 code

I have at the moment replaced the ati with a nvidia 6100 (as a temp stopgap)

this all works ok

also have contacted asrock (they say its a nvidia problem as the above post states)

I too am now thinking is it an ATI problem !!

Posted 04/13/2007 08:08 PM   
With the following Post (LINK) NVidia said its a NVidia Problem

[url="http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=11832"]http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=11832[/url]

(Backround: Before Vista Release, NVIDIA said nforce 3 is fine for Vista. After the Release the "fine" vanished from NVidia's Homepage. Somebody found the old announcement in googles cache and blamed the PR Manager. The Reaction is in the Post above)

The only solutions for AMD X2, ATI GPU and nforce 3 are the following:

- buy a NVIDIA AGP CARD (so far i know you have to install the XP drivers if you have a dual core cpu)
- X2 -> single-Core (hardware or bootoption)
- buy a VIA Board
- buy a new PC
- wait and hope NVIDIA said the truth (for me its not trustable)

I bought a VIA-Board.

My Hardware is a 4400+ X2 AMD, X1950XT AGP from GECUBE and 2 Gig Ram with the new Board Vista runs great! Afer this action with the "fine vanishing", NVIDIA is a joke for me, never again!

This post has been edited by Gebbo: Today, 11:35 PM
With the following Post (LINK) NVidia said its a NVidia Problem

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=11832

(Backround: Before Vista Release, NVIDIA said nforce 3 is fine for Vista. After the Release the "fine" vanished from NVidia's Homepage. Somebody found the old announcement in googles cache and blamed the PR Manager. The Reaction is in the Post above)

The only solutions for AMD X2, ATI GPU and nforce 3 are the following:

- buy a NVIDIA AGP CARD (so far i know you have to install the XP drivers if you have a dual core cpu)

- X2 -> single-Core (hardware or bootoption)

- buy a VIA Board

- buy a new PC

- wait and hope NVIDIA said the truth (for me its not trustable)

I bought a VIA-Board.

My Hardware is a 4400+ X2 AMD, X1950XT AGP from GECUBE and 2 Gig Ram with the new Board Vista runs great! Afer this action with the "fine vanishing", NVIDIA is a joke for me, never again!

This post has been edited by Gebbo: Today, 11:35 PM

Posted 04/13/2007 10:41 PM   
I actually bought the Nvidia board over the via board for the overclocking ability (locked AGP) and built-in features. I've been very happy with the board... up until now... but still it makes a decent xp box... could have made a good Vista box too! /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />
I actually bought the Nvidia board over the via board for the overclocking ability (locked AGP) and built-in features. I've been very happy with the board... up until now... but still it makes a decent xp box... could have made a good Vista box too! /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' />

Posted 04/14/2007 01:06 AM   
It is an nVidia problem.

The GART driver is nVidia's responsibility. The GART driver is what is broken. Even nVidia has admitted it is their problem, and suggested they might fix it in the future. It seems they meant they very (very) distant future.
It is an nVidia problem.

The GART driver is nVidia's responsibility. The GART driver is what is broken. Even nVidia has admitted it is their problem, and suggested they might fix it in the future. It seems they meant they very (very) distant future.

Posted 04/14/2007 05:49 AM   
Can I just ask: does anyone know what GART hardware is used here? nVidia never publishes specs or datasheets so I dunno if the nForce3 has GART built into the chipset or not but in that era, chipsets did have it. The AMD64 CPUs have the hardware for graphics array table mapping and TLB built into them so I'm just wondering, does the nForce AGP driver use the CPU's GART hardware or separate chipset tables, thus bypassing and disabling the CPU hardware?
Can I just ask: does anyone know what GART hardware is used here? nVidia never publishes specs or datasheets so I dunno if the nForce3 has GART built into the chipset or not but in that era, chipsets did have it. The AMD64 CPUs have the hardware for graphics array table mapping and TLB built into them so I'm just wondering, does the nForce AGP driver use the CPU's GART hardware or separate chipset tables, thus bypassing and disabling the CPU hardware?

Posted 04/14/2007 09:31 AM   
it uses the same driver as the nforce 2 gart from what i've seen
it uses the same driver as the nforce 2 gart from what i've seen

Posted 04/14/2007 11:24 AM   
I don't know if this was posted before but NVIDIA have this issue on their Vista FAQ:

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_faq.html#driver_q17"]NVIDIA Vista FAQ[/url]

[quote]Q: What about Vista drivers for nForce 2 or nForce3-based motherboards?
A. Given the hardware requirements for Windows Vista, NVIDIA recommends that you upgrade your platform to PCI Express. If you do not have a certified Vista platform, such as nForce4, nForce5, or nForce 600 series MCP, you will not be able to take advantage of the NVIDIA-designed features that are integrated into the NVIDIA MCP drivers.

If you cannot afford to upgrade your platform or simply wish to try Vista with your current nForce2 or nForce3 platform, you can upgrade to Vista with the drivers that come with Vista. However, there are a few technical issues you should be aware of that may impact your overall Vista experience.

Audio - nForce2 and nForce3-based platforms utilized AC'97 audio codecs. You will need to check with the audio codec manufacturer to determine whether they have released a driver for Vista. NVIDIA bears no responsibility with regards to audio support. You may also want to check with audio add-in card vendors to see if they have comparable products with Vista drivers. All AC'97-based platforms are affected by the transition to Vista.

Storage - Unfortunately, NVIDIA RAID is not supported under Vista for nForce2 and nForce3-based platforms, but PATA and SATA storage will work using the integrated Microsoft Vista storage drivers. Please be aware that there are known Vista issues with some ATAPI devices. Microsoft RAID support is included in the box as well.

Networking - Networking support is included with Vista. Firewall support is built into Vista. NVIDIA Firewall, first introduced with nForce3, will not function under Vista and is not supported.

There is a known issue with ATI AGP cards with NVIDIA nForce3 and Vista. This is currently being looked into and will likely be resolved with an MCP driver update.[/quote]

Talk about patronizing! Just because I have a nForce 3 they think I'm in the dark ages; AGP is still holding it's own, from what I've seen the extra bandwidth on PCIe is only used at very high resolutions with AA/ansiotropic on full. At 1280x1024 with AA/ansiotropic AGP is still fine. I'm pleased that ATI released the X1950 on AGP, it's breathed new life into my system but I'm being forced to use a 5 year old OS! Gah! Not to mention the money I've wasted on buying Vista!

AMD 64 X2 4200+
ATI X1950 Pro AGP
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
OCZ 2GB
Microsoft certified Beer Mat (Vista DVD)
I don't know if this was posted before but NVIDIA have this issue on their Vista FAQ:

NVIDIA Vista FAQ

Q: What about Vista drivers for nForce 2 or nForce3-based motherboards?

A. Given the hardware requirements for Windows Vista, NVIDIA recommends that you upgrade your platform to PCI Express. If you do not have a certified Vista platform, such as nForce4, nForce5, or nForce 600 series MCP, you will not be able to take advantage of the NVIDIA-designed features that are integrated into the NVIDIA MCP drivers.

If you cannot afford to upgrade your platform or simply wish to try Vista with your current nForce2 or nForce3 platform, you can upgrade to Vista with the drivers that come with Vista. However, there are a few technical issues you should be aware of that may impact your overall Vista experience.

Audio - nForce2 and nForce3-based platforms utilized AC'97 audio codecs. You will need to check with the audio codec manufacturer to determine whether they have released a driver for Vista. NVIDIA bears no responsibility with regards to audio support. You may also want to check with audio add-in card vendors to see if they have comparable products with Vista drivers. All AC'97-based platforms are affected by the transition to Vista.

Storage - Unfortunately, NVIDIA RAID is not supported under Vista for nForce2 and nForce3-based platforms, but PATA and SATA storage will work using the integrated Microsoft Vista storage drivers. Please be aware that there are known Vista issues with some ATAPI devices. Microsoft RAID support is included in the box as well.

Networking - Networking support is included with Vista. Firewall support is built into Vista. NVIDIA Firewall, first introduced with nForce3, will not function under Vista and is not supported.

There is a known issue with ATI AGP cards with NVIDIA nForce3 and Vista. This is currently being looked into and will likely be resolved with an MCP driver update.

Talk about patronizing! Just because I have a nForce 3 they think I'm in the dark ages; AGP is still holding it's own, from what I've seen the extra bandwidth on PCIe is only used at very high resolutions with AA/ansiotropic on full. At 1280x1024 with AA/ansiotropic AGP is still fine. I'm pleased that ATI released the X1950 on AGP, it's breathed new life into my system but I'm being forced to use a 5 year old OS! Gah! Not to mention the money I've wasted on buying Vista!

AMD 64 X2 4200+

ATI X1950 Pro AGP

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum

OCZ 2GB

Microsoft certified Beer Mat (Vista DVD)

Posted 04/15/2007 06:54 PM   
  1 / 23    
Scroll To Top