NVIDIA Statement on Vista TDR Errors Your help requested.
  1 / 31    
I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.

[quote]Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered[/quote]

I've forwarded your concerns to NVIDIA who asked me to post this in response:
[quote]NVIDIA statement on TDR Error Messages

Some Windows Vista users have reported that their systems are displaying an error message that says: "Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered." This is called a Timeout Detection and Recovery error message.

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) is a new feature of Windows Vista that attempts to detect problematic situations and recover to a functional desktop without forcing a reboot. Hangs can occur when the GPU is processing intensive graphics operations, typically during gameplay, and nothing is being updated on the monitor. To the user it appears that the system is frozen with no resolution to the problem; in previous operating systems users generally had to wait a few seconds and then reboot.

The TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" lets the user know that the NVIDIA display driver (specifically the "nvlddmkm.sys" file) has been re-initialized and the GPU is reset without requiring a reboot. The only visible artifact from the recovery is a screen flicker, the result of a screen redraw. Note that some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of the TDR, requiring the user to restart these applications. 

TDRs are not specific to a single driver problem, and can occur for a variety of reasons. When they occur, diagnostic information is collected in the form of a debug report that is sent to Microsoft through the Online Crash Analysis (OCA) mechanism if the user opts to provide feedback.

NVIDIA encourages users to submit their own bug reports via the NVIDIA Vista Quality Assurance Program, using the keyword "TDR" in the description of the problem. The NVIDIA bug report link is here:
[url="https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=7498eac864dc1950c8f09e040b4a437a"]https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=749...8f09e040b4a437a[/url]

We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since the NVIDIA v101.41 beta driver release, NVIDIA has been fixing many TDR issues reported by users. Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums. Thank you for your patience.

More information on TDRs can be found here:
[url="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx"]http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/displ...dm_timeout.mspx[/url].
[/quote]
I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.

Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered

NVIDIA statement on TDR Error Messages

Some Windows Vista users have reported that their systems are displaying an error message that says: "Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered." This is called a Timeout Detection and Recovery error message.

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) is a new feature of Windows Vista that attempts to detect problematic situations and recover to a functional desktop without forcing a reboot. Hangs can occur when the GPU is processing intensive graphics operations, typically during gameplay, and nothing is being updated on the monitor. To the user it appears that the system is frozen with no resolution to the problem; in previous operating systems users generally had to wait a few seconds and then reboot.

The TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" lets the user know that the NVIDIA display driver (specifically the "nvlddmkm.sys" file) has been re-initialized and the GPU is reset without requiring a reboot. The only visible artifact from the recovery is a screen flicker, the result of a screen redraw. Note that some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of the TDR, requiring the user to restart these applications. 

TDRs are not specific to a single driver problem, and can occur for a variety of reasons. When they occur, diagnostic information is collected in the form of a debug report that is sent to Microsoft through the Online Crash Analysis (OCA) mechanism if the user opts to provide feedback.

NVIDIA encourages users to submit their own bug reports via the NVIDIA Vista Quality Assurance Program, using the keyword "TDR" in the description of the problem. The NVIDIA bug report link is here:

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=749...8f09e040b4a437a

We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since the NVIDIA v101.41 beta driver release, NVIDIA has been fixing many TDR issues reported by users. Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums. Thank you for your patience.

More information on TDRs can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/displ...dm_timeout.mspx.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Not employed by NVIDIA, nor do my views represent NVIDIA's in any way.

Posted 03/30/2007 01:23 AM   
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is all I can say.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is all I can say.

Posted 03/30/2007 03:39 AM   
Thanks for the info! Maybe the next release will be good enough I can finally switch over to Vista ^_^
Thanks for the info! Maybe the next release will be good enough I can finally switch over to Vista ^_^

Posted 03/30/2007 04:36 AM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 07:23 PM']...
Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums. Thank you for your patience.
[right][snapback]177644[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank the stars! Soon soon soon!

Thanks!
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 07:23 PM']...

Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums. Thank you for your patience.

[snapback]177644[/snapback]

Thank the stars! Soon soon soon!

Thanks!

Posted 03/30/2007 07:23 AM   
Excellent news. I've just reported again but with TDR in the description field as requested.
Excellent news. I've just reported again but with TDR in the description field as requested.

Posted 03/30/2007 07:37 AM   
Oh, thank goodness for this response. Hopefully we'll soon see an end to this problem.
Oh, thank goodness for this response. Hopefully we'll soon see an end to this problem.

Posted 03/30/2007 08:41 AM   
Why don't they post this earlier, could have saved so much drama.

Anyway, good to hear.
Why don't they post this earlier, could have saved so much drama.

Anyway, good to hear.

Posted 03/30/2007 09:48 AM   
What can I say?

A million thanks.
What can I say?

A million thanks.

My New Rig/Current Rig

<span style='color:blue'>

Core i7 2600 with Antec H620 Liquid Cooler

Asus P8P87 (Normal) B2 stepping.

4x4GB G.Skill Ripjawz 1600Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB

2x Western Digital Black 640 (RAID 0)

1x Western Digital Black 500GB (backup)

Pioneer DVD-Writer Drive.

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Antec 850W Quattro TruePower

CoolerMaster HAF 932

</span>

I don't run over clocked system. I play by stock clock and I'm proud of it.

Posted 03/30/2007 11:24 AM   
[quote name='brandon' date='Mar 30 2007, 03:24 AM']What can I say?

A million thanks.
[right][snapback]177806[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're welcome. (to all)
:)
[quote name='brandon' date='Mar 30 2007, 03:24 AM']What can I say?

A million thanks.

[snapback]177806[/snapback]

You're welcome. (to all)

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/30/2007 11:30 AM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 30 2007, 05:30 AM']You're welcome. (to all)
[right][snapback]177810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Did they give an indication of 101.41 is better for this problem than WHQL? Any indication of when the next rev after 101.41 is going to come out to address this?

Everman
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 30 2007, 05:30 AM']You're welcome. (to all)

[snapback]177810[/snapback]

Did they give an indication of 101.41 is better for this problem than WHQL? Any indication of when the next rev after 101.41 is going to come out to address this?

Everman

Posted 03/30/2007 01:03 PM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:23 PM']I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.
[/quote]

Thanks Brian!

-david
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:23 PM']I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.

Thanks Brian!

-david

Posted 03/30/2007 02:42 PM   
Brian_S, thanx a ton, we all owe you a great big cookie!!!!

Nice to get some info on what's going on in hallowed halls of nVidia.
Brian_S, thanx a ton, we all owe you a great big cookie!!!!

Nice to get some info on what's going on in hallowed halls of nVidia.

Posted 03/30/2007 03:37 PM   
Very good news :D. Notice now how the display driver error thread is dropping down the page ;D
Very good news :D. Notice now how the display driver error thread is dropping down the page ;D

Posted 03/30/2007 04:46 PM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 06:23 PM']I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.
[/quote]

Thank You Brian!
[quote name='Brian_S' date='Mar 29 2007, 06:23 PM']I've been asked by members for word from NVIDIA on the Timeout Detection and Recovery errors some users have been experiencing with Vista.

Thank You Brian!

Vista Home Premium
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo Processor
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 (92mm fan) with Artic Silver 5
Asus P5B Deluxe MotherBoard
2 Gig Corsair MX2 DDR2 6400
Baracuda 300 Gig Sata 3 HDwith 300 Gig WD USB external backup
SoundBlaster Audigy 4 Sound Card
MSI Nvidia 8600GT - It smokes! Drivers work perfect!
Hiper 580 Watt Dual 12v rails (25 amps each)
Plextor PX-740A DVD Burner
CMV221D 22.3" Wide Screen 5ms LCD Color Monitor

Posted 03/30/2007 11:40 PM   
[quote name='Everman' date='Mar 30 2007, 05:03 AM']Did they give an indication of 101.41 is better for this problem than WHQL?  Any indication of when the next rev after 101.41 is going to come out to address this?

Everman
[right][snapback]177839[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry can't post upcoming driver release dates!
[quote name='Everman' date='Mar 30 2007, 05:03 AM']Did they give an indication of 101.41 is better for this problem than WHQL?  Any indication of when the next rev after 101.41 is going to come out to address this?

Everman

[snapback]177839[/snapback]

Sorry can't post upcoming driver release dates!

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/31/2007 05:21 PM   
  1 / 31    
Scroll To Top