LiveKernelEvent? Hardware or drivers?
  1 / 3    
First post, sucks that it's for a bad reason.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32bit edition on a HP a1730n (I think that's the model number)

AMD 64X2 5000+
OEM Asus motherboard nforce 430 mcp based I believe
2 gigs of <insert generic HP brand here> RAM
PNY 7600 GS

Now, the reason I ask if it's hardware or drivers before jumping on the bandwagon: 300 Watt generic HP PSU. I've been shakey on this, but I still need to know for sure. I don't know any of the specs at the moment because i'm currently at my votech class. The reason I suspect my PSU is to blame besides the drivers is that before I moved to this new computer I had an old throw together PC with a 450 watt PSU and was running with a Geforce FX 5200 and Vista Ultimate just fine.

The basic error is some LiveKernelEvent locale ID 1033, I can post the full error later when I get home.

And before I get told to do a forum search, I've done a full search of all the forums and couldn't find an exact post except for one and it hadn't been responded to. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough though /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> been stressed cause this is my first major computer purchase

Edit: Guess it would be nice to know what causes the error, it usually happens when I'm playing a game, any game it doesn't matter which. The time varies between maybe 30 minutes to even 5 hours, but eventually everything just stops and lines appear. After a few seconds my monitor basically powers off like how you leave the monitor on and the PC is off.

Now, twice it has resulted in a BSOD. After which, I restart and end up with the nice windows error report telling me stuff I don't understand.

The BSOD has only occured twice, the rest of the times it has happened besides those required me to turn off with the power button on the tower itself.
First post, sucks that it's for a bad reason.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32bit edition on a HP a1730n (I think that's the model number)

AMD 64X2 5000+

OEM Asus motherboard nforce 430 mcp based I believe

2 gigs of <insert generic HP brand here> RAM

PNY 7600 GS

Now, the reason I ask if it's hardware or drivers before jumping on the bandwagon: 300 Watt generic HP PSU. I've been shakey on this, but I still need to know for sure. I don't know any of the specs at the moment because i'm currently at my votech class. The reason I suspect my PSU is to blame besides the drivers is that before I moved to this new computer I had an old throw together PC with a 450 watt PSU and was running with a Geforce FX 5200 and Vista Ultimate just fine.

The basic error is some LiveKernelEvent locale ID 1033, I can post the full error later when I get home.

And before I get told to do a forum search, I've done a full search of all the forums and couldn't find an exact post except for one and it hadn't been responded to. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough though /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> been stressed cause this is my first major computer purchase

Edit: Guess it would be nice to know what causes the error, it usually happens when I'm playing a game, any game it doesn't matter which. The time varies between maybe 30 minutes to even 5 hours, but eventually everything just stops and lines appear. After a few seconds my monitor basically powers off like how you leave the monitor on and the PC is off.

Now, twice it has resulted in a BSOD. After which, I restart and end up with the nice windows error report telling me stuff I don't understand.

The BSOD has only occured twice, the rest of the times it has happened besides those required me to turn off with the power button on the tower itself.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:04 PM   
300W power supply these days dont go far when it comes to running fans, lights, hardware like GPU's HDD's and so on so question is what are your running on this 300W power supply? also only Kernal i've heard of is a Windows System file not sure what it is and Kernal also comes from an Anit Virus software.
300W power supply these days dont go far when it comes to running fans, lights, hardware like GPU's HDD's and so on so question is what are your running on this 300W power supply? also only Kernal i've heard of is a Windows System file not sure what it is and Kernal also comes from an Anit Virus software.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:25 PM   
I'm running the AMD 64X2 5000+, one 320 gig HDD, one Lightscribe DVD/CD burner, the CPU fan, the case fan, and the 7600 GS. The only thing I've added to this system is the video card. Everything else is stock, stock clocks, stock settings, everything.

And yeah, the kernel thing has me stumped a little too but.. that's what it says. Like I said, when I get home in about 40 minutes I'll post the full error report from Vista.
I'm running the AMD 64X2 5000+, one 320 gig HDD, one Lightscribe DVD/CD burner, the CPU fan, the case fan, and the 7600 GS. The only thing I've added to this system is the video card. Everything else is stock, stock clocks, stock settings, everything.

And yeah, the kernel thing has me stumped a little too but.. that's what it says. Like I said, when I get home in about 40 minutes I'll post the full error report from Vista.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:32 PM   
[color=purple]The kernel is the essential center of a computer operating system, the core that provides basic services for all other parts of the operating system. A synonym is nucleus. A kernel can be contrasted with a shell, the outermost part of an operating system that interacts with user commands.[/color]
Kernel and shell are terms used more frequently in UNIX and some other operating systems than in IBM mainframe systems. Typically, a kernel (or any comparable center of an operating system) includes an interrupt handler that handles all requests or completed I/O operations that compete for the kernel's services, a scheduler that determines which programs share the kernel's processing time in what order, and a supervisor that actually gives use of the computer to each process when it is scheduled. A kernel may also include a manager of the operating system's address spaces in memory or storage, sharing these among all components and other users of the kernel's services.

[color=purple]A kernel's services are requested by other parts of the operating system or by application through a specified set of program interfaces sometimes known as system calls. Because the code that makes up the kernel is needed continuously, it is usually loaded into computer storage in an area that is protected so that it will not be overlaid with other less frequently used parts of the operating system. The kernel is not to be confused with the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).[/color]
Some kernels have been developed independently for use in any operating system that wants to use it. A well-known example is the Mach kernel, developed at Carnegie-Mellon University, and currently used in a version of the Linux operating system for Apple's PowerMac computers
The kernel is the essential center of a computer operating system, the core that provides basic services for all other parts of the operating system. A synonym is nucleus. A kernel can be contrasted with a shell, the outermost part of an operating system that interacts with user commands.

Kernel and shell are terms used more frequently in UNIX and some other operating systems than in IBM mainframe systems. Typically, a kernel (or any comparable center of an operating system) includes an interrupt handler that handles all requests or completed I/O operations that compete for the kernel's services, a scheduler that determines which programs share the kernel's processing time in what order, and a supervisor that actually gives use of the computer to each process when it is scheduled. A kernel may also include a manager of the operating system's address spaces in memory or storage, sharing these among all components and other users of the kernel's services.

A kernel's services are requested by other parts of the operating system or by application through a specified set of program interfaces sometimes known as system calls. Because the code that makes up the kernel is needed continuously, it is usually loaded into computer storage in an area that is protected so that it will not be overlaid with other less frequently used parts of the operating system. The kernel is not to be confused with the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).

Some kernels have been developed independently for use in any operating system that wants to use it. A well-known example is the Mach kernel, developed at Carnegie-Mellon University, and currently used in a version of the Linux operating system for Apple's PowerMac computers

Posted 03/13/2007 03:36 PM   
lol While that was informative it doesn't help me much.. Windows error report says it was an error caused by a "video hardware malfunction" or however windows wants to put it in the error report. I wouldn't just pop up on here asking if it's my hwardware or the drivers relating to my video card if i didn't think the error was involving it :P My votech lets out in about 13 minutes, so I'll have the error report up within the hour.
lol While that was informative it doesn't help me much.. Windows error report says it was an error caused by a "video hardware malfunction" or however windows wants to put it in the error report. I wouldn't just pop up on here asking if it's my hwardware or the drivers relating to my video card if i didn't think the error was involving it :P My votech lets out in about 13 minutes, so I'll have the error report up within the hour.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:42 PM   
ok that would be great cos what im reading the Kernal is like the King of the OS thats how i see it, theres bugs, errors it realates to alot of things like booting up your pc to security to CPU's so im trying to understand it but its a lil hard atm but of coarse u get this message once you have booted into Vista right? i know a way to get rid of the message but we wanna solve it not hide it.
ok that would be great cos what im reading the Kernal is like the King of the OS thats how i see it, theres bugs, errors it realates to alot of things like booting up your pc to security to CPU's so im trying to understand it but its a lil hard atm but of coarse u get this message once you have booted into Vista right? i know a way to get rid of the message but we wanna solve it not hide it.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:44 PM   
Yeah I understand that. Thing is that i'm lucky to make it to a BSOD for the computer to do a memory dump. It's only made it that far twice, other times it just chills there, I can still hear the sound of my game, but the monitor is black like the PC is off. It's happened on the desktop once, but besides that it's always during gameplay.
Yeah I understand that. Thing is that i'm lucky to make it to a BSOD for the computer to do a memory dump. It's only made it that far twice, other times it just chills there, I can still hear the sound of my game, but the monitor is black like the PC is off. It's happened on the desktop once, but besides that it's always during gameplay.

Posted 03/13/2007 03:49 PM   
ok well hopefully some1 who knows about this will answer your call because in 1 hour it will be 3am here in Australia lol but by reading what you just wrote that Kernal message could be a message of a failed device or its having trouble running something or your system is not getting enough power i mean i wouldnt use a 300W PSU on a Nvidia 7600GS noway so im going with the idea its your power supply:
ok well hopefully some1 who knows about this will answer your call because in 1 hour it will be 3am here in Australia lol but by reading what you just wrote that Kernal message could be a message of a failed device or its having trouble running something or your system is not getting enough power i mean i wouldnt use a 300W PSU on a Nvidia 7600GS noway so im going with the idea its your power supply:

Posted 03/13/2007 03:51 PM   
After reading your next reply im going with the PSU as the problem
After reading your next reply im going with the PSU as the problem

Posted 03/13/2007 03:53 PM   
Ha alright, I'll see about getting my hands on a better PSU then. Gonna suck trying to find one, stupid HP and thier mini towers.. I can't use my old 450 watt supply cause it's too old, connectors are different as far as I can tell
Ha alright, I'll see about getting my hands on a better PSU then. Gonna suck trying to find one, stupid HP and thier mini towers.. I can't use my old 450 watt supply cause it's too old, connectors are different as far as I can tell

Posted 03/13/2007 03:55 PM   
ah bugger: Look sorry about that i think im tired from doing alot of posts so took me awhile to realize your running a 300w PSU with a Video card like that and the CPU: If this doesn't solve the problem then i would look into the Graphics card side of things but having a better power supply will go a long way in helping because when playing games your making that graphics card work its ass off as well as your ram and CPU so they going to need good air flow so they can be keept as cool as possible and a decent PSU for it to run smoothly.

Goodluck B)
ah bugger: Look sorry about that i think im tired from doing alot of posts so took me awhile to realize your running a 300w PSU with a Video card like that and the CPU: If this doesn't solve the problem then i would look into the Graphics card side of things but having a better power supply will go a long way in helping because when playing games your making that graphics card work its ass off as well as your ram and CPU so they going to need good air flow so they can be keept as cool as possible and a decent PSU for it to run smoothly.

Goodluck B)

Posted 03/13/2007 04:01 PM   

Goodluck B)

Goodluck B)

Posted 03/13/2007 04:02 PM   
Thanks man you've been a big help. I'll search around on newegg for a better PSU that'll fit, unless regular ATX supplies fit in mini towers? I'm not sure about that, I don't know if the measurements are different or not. If anyone can give me a quick answer on this, I'd appreciate it. Also what would the ideal PSU ratings be for my system? I can figure out everything except what kind of PSU to put in any builds I've considered /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> Guess I'm stupid with electricity.

To everyone else, in case they want to give a second opinion or what have you, this is the full report:

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 853B3200
BCP2: 8B4F36C0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Edit: Took out the "files that help describe the problem" bit since they're pointless hving on a forum.
Thanks man you've been a big help. I'll search around on newegg for a better PSU that'll fit, unless regular ATX supplies fit in mini towers? I'm not sure about that, I don't know if the measurements are different or not. If anyone can give me a quick answer on this, I'd appreciate it. Also what would the ideal PSU ratings be for my system? I can figure out everything except what kind of PSU to put in any builds I've considered /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> Guess I'm stupid with electricity.

To everyone else, in case they want to give a second opinion or what have you, this is the full report:

Description

Problem signature

Edit: Took out the "files that help describe the problem" bit since they're pointless hving on a forum.

Posted 03/13/2007 04:21 PM   
I'm getting the same problem that murakume has been getting, and my psu is 850watts, so it aint the psu. i've had my rig for 2 weeks and i've been playing rainbow six, vegas, and after about 20-40 minutes of playing, my screen will say "entering power save mode", then it will go to a blue crash dump screen. i have the 158.18 drivers. also my computer does not wake up from sleep. any one have any ideas???

thanks.

[quote name='murakume' date='Mar 13 2007, 11:21 AM']Thanks man you've been a big help. I'll search around on newegg for a better PSU that'll fit, unless regular ATX supplies fit in mini towers? I'm not sure about that, I don't know if the measurements are different or not. If anyone can give me a quick answer on this, I'd appreciate it. Also what would the ideal PSU ratings be for my system? I can figure out everything except what kind of PSU to put in any builds I've considered  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />  Guess I'm stupid with electricity.

Description

Problem signature

[right][snapback]171040[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm getting the same problem that murakume has been getting, and my psu is 850watts, so it aint the psu. i've had my rig for 2 weeks and i've been playing rainbow six, vegas, and after about 20-40 minutes of playing, my screen will say "entering power save mode", then it will go to a blue crash dump screen. i have the 158.18 drivers. also my computer does not wake up from sleep. any one have any ideas???

thanks.

[quote name='murakume' date='Mar 13 2007, 11:21 AM']Thanks man you've been a big help. I'll search around on newegg for a better PSU that'll fit, unless regular ATX supplies fit in mini towers? I'm not sure about that, I don't know if the measurements are different or not. If anyone can give me a quick answer on this, I'd appreciate it. Also what would the ideal PSU ratings be for my system? I can figure out everything except what kind of PSU to put in any builds I've considered  /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />  Guess I'm stupid with electricity.

Description

Problem signature

[snapback]171040[/snapback]

BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (overclocked at 620mhz in package)
Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB DDR2 800 l
2.4 ghz core 2 duo E6400
850 watt thermaltake psu
Raid - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM
GIGABYTE 3D Aurora case
ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i motherboard

Posted 05/12/2007 04:53 PM   
[quote name='fatfrank' date='May 12 2007, 11:53 AM']I'm getting the same problem that murakume has been getting, and my psu is 850watts, so it aint the psu. i've had my rig for 2 weeks and i've been playing rainbow six, vegas, and after about 20-40 minutes of playing, my screen will say "entering power save mode", then it will go to a blue crash dump screen. i have the 158.18 drivers. also my computer does not wake up from sleep. any one have any ideas???

thanks.
[right][snapback]196181[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

one more thing. my graphics card runs at 78 degrees idle, seems high but apparently the 8800 gtx's run hot.
[quote name='fatfrank' date='May 12 2007, 11:53 AM']I'm getting the same problem that murakume has been getting, and my psu is 850watts, so it aint the psu. i've had my rig for 2 weeks and i've been playing rainbow six, vegas, and after about 20-40 minutes of playing, my screen will say "entering power save mode", then it will go to a blue crash dump screen. i have the 158.18 drivers. also my computer does not wake up from sleep. any one have any ideas???

thanks.

[snapback]196181[/snapback]

one more thing. my graphics card runs at 78 degrees idle, seems high but apparently the 8800 gtx's run hot.

BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (overclocked at 620mhz in package)
Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB DDR2 800 l
2.4 ghz core 2 duo E6400
850 watt thermaltake psu
Raid - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM
GIGABYTE 3D Aurora case
ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i motherboard

Posted 05/12/2007 04:55 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top