Vista - nForce network driver issue?
  1 / 5    
I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit, on an Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe 590 AMD mobo.

Anyone else have (and hopefully fix) this problem?:

When booting, there's a 50/50 chance that the Ethernet adapter will not set up properly, so no Internet connection.

The funny thing is it's completely random -- sometimes it boots and the Internet is there, sometimes I get nothing. No pattern to the startup failures that I can discern.

Each time this happens, the problem can be easily fixed by uninstalling the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager, and then sitting back while Vista rediscovers the adapter and reinstalls its driver. Nonetheless, I'd like to find a solution for this, both because its a minor pita, and because I want to be able to trust that the machine will reliably start and connect to the Internet if I'm not there (e.g., for remote access for to avoid "it's not working" calls from spouse/kid.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit, on an Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe 590 AMD mobo.

When booting, there's a 50/50 chance that the Ethernet adapter will not set up properly, so no Internet connection.

The funny thing is it's completely random -- sometimes it boots and the Internet is there, sometimes I get nothing. No pattern to the startup failures that I can discern.

Each time this happens, the problem can be easily fixed by uninstalling the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager, and then sitting back while Vista rediscovers the adapter and reinstalls its driver. Nonetheless, I'd like to find a solution for this, both because its a minor pita, and because I want to be able to trust that the machine will reliably start and connect to the Internet if I'm not there (e.g., for remote access for to avoid "it's not working" calls from spouse/kid.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted 03/09/2007 07:36 PM   
Yep, exact same thing for me.

nForce 15.00, Vista 64-bit, BFG 680i in my case.
No solution I'm afraid. I guess we just wait for the next driver release.

Same problem for me too; GF keeps complaining 'computers not working' and explaining to her how to un-install the ethernet adapter isn't an option. Luckily a reboot usually cures it (as you said, it's 50/50).
Yep, exact same thing for me.

nForce 15.00, Vista 64-bit, BFG 680i in my case.

No solution I'm afraid. I guess we just wait for the next driver release.

Same problem for me too; GF keeps complaining 'computers not working' and explaining to her how to un-install the ethernet adapter isn't an option. Luckily a reboot usually cures it (as you said, it's 50/50).

Posted 03/10/2007 04:28 PM   
Same Problem here with V15.00 on Asus M2N32-SLIDEKUXE on Vista Ultimate. You can fix it if you change the Speed & Dublex settings from Auto Negotiation to 100Mbps Half Dublex from your Network Card settings.
There is another Problem with this driver. When you set a fix IP adress it will not show up the next time when you open your TCP/IP settings again.
Same Problem here with V15.00 on Asus M2N32-SLIDEKUXE on Vista Ultimate. You can fix it if you change the Speed & Dublex settings from Auto Negotiation to 100Mbps Half Dublex from your Network Card settings.

There is another Problem with this driver. When you set a fix IP adress it will not show up the next time when you open your TCP/IP settings again.

Posted 03/12/2007 03:12 PM   
I'm have the same problems. On my Foxconn nForce4 Ultra board. Running the 15.00's as well. But i have weird hanging problems after it happens if skype tries to start up.
I'm have the same problems. On my Foxconn nForce4 Ultra board. Running the 15.00's as well. But i have weird hanging problems after it happens if skype tries to start up.

Posted 03/17/2007 02:36 PM   
EVGA community forum page covers this issue pretty extensively. I believe Vista and the Nforce680i combined together can run into alot of issues. Some of the community members have recommended not to install NAM/Ntune, or even update to the 15.00 version set of drivers. Actually alot of recommendations were to after u install the Vista OS to go ahead and allow Vista to install the drivers automatically.
EVGA community forum page covers this issue pretty extensively. I believe Vista and the Nforce680i combined together can run into alot of issues. Some of the community members have recommended not to install NAM/Ntune, or even update to the 15.00 version set of drivers. Actually alot of recommendations were to after u install the Vista OS to go ahead and allow Vista to install the drivers automatically.

Posted 03/17/2007 05:24 PM   
[quote name='mneblett' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:36 PM']I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit, on an Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe 590 AMD mobo.

The funny thing is it's completely random -- sometimes it boots and the Internet is there, sometimes I get nothing.  No pattern to the startup failures that I can discern.

Each time this happens, the problem can be easily fixed by uninstalling the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager, and then sitting back while Vista rediscovers the adapter and reinstalls its driver.  Nonetheless, I'd like to find a solution for this, both because its a minor pita, and because I want to be able to trust that the machine will reliably start and connect to the Internet if I'm not there (e.g., for remote access for to avoid "it's not working" calls from spouse/kid.

Thanks,
Mark
[right][snapback]169655[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I had that problem with Vista when I upgraded from XP . No amount of uninstalling reinstalling drivers or driver updates seemd to fix it the problem always croped back up. I ended up doing a reformat and clean install with the 15.00 drivers and never had the problem again. I'm using a BFG 680i chipset board.
[quote name='mneblett' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:36 PM']I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit, on an Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe 590 AMD mobo.

The funny thing is it's completely random -- sometimes it boots and the Internet is there, sometimes I get nothing.  No pattern to the startup failures that I can discern.

Each time this happens, the problem can be easily fixed by uninstalling the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager, and then sitting back while Vista rediscovers the adapter and reinstalls its driver.  Nonetheless, I'd like to find a solution for this, both because its a minor pita, and because I want to be able to trust that the machine will reliably start and connect to the Internet if I'm not there (e.g., for remote access for to avoid "it's not working" calls from spouse/kid.

Thanks,

Mark

[snapback]169655[/snapback]

I had that problem with Vista when I upgraded from XP . No amount of uninstalling reinstalling drivers or driver updates seemd to fix it the problem always croped back up. I ended up doing a reformat and clean install with the 15.00 drivers and never had the problem again. I'm using a BFG 680i chipset board.

Motherboard: Foxconn Bloodrage
Processor: Intel I7 920
Video: 2-480 GTX's in SLI
Memory: 4 GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600
Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Home theater HD
Hard Disk: 2-Corsair P128 SSD's in RAID0
Case: Coolermaster STORM Sniper

Posted 03/19/2007 05:32 AM   
Yep same problem with my setup too:

EVGA 680i (v15, bios on 24)
Vista ultimate 32-bit
Core 2 E6600
MSI 8800GTX (100.65)

I did find that hitting repair on the nic that failed sorted it out occasionally.

It's a real pain as I TS in to my home machine from work all the time, and as port 3389 (RDP) can only be redirected to one internal IP on my router, it means I have to keep restarting the machine in the mornings (before going to work) until nic 1 decides to work.

Any offical word on this or is it just another bane being on the (b)leading edge?

Cheers
Yep same problem with my setup too:

EVGA 680i (v15, bios on 24)

Vista ultimate 32-bit

Core 2 E6600

MSI 8800GTX (100.65)

I did find that hitting repair on the nic that failed sorted it out occasionally.

It's a real pain as I TS in to my home machine from work all the time, and as port 3389 (RDP) can only be redirected to one internal IP on my router, it means I have to keep restarting the machine in the mornings (before going to work) until nic 1 decides to work.

Any offical word on this or is it just another bane being on the (b)leading edge?

Cheers

Posted 03/20/2007 08:30 PM   
[quote name='mneblett' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:36 PM']I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit

[right][snapback]169655[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Mark and others-

I am running the 15.00g driver on an Averatec 2370 notebook. This is a Vista Express Upgrade machine purchased last fall. Under XP the nForce Network Controller was rock solid stable. Now under Vista Home Premium, it is my least stable driver. The 15g driver is the latest available through Nvidia's site. The OEM is offering 15 (no letter) through its site.

When the adapter fails, it is always when doing a full power-up boot (another reason I use Sleep under Vista far more than I did under XP). In each case the failure is that the driver did not load. A perception is the driver is most prone to failure if Vista has some 'extra chores' to complete on that boot cycle. I suspect the driver loader times-out waiting for Vista. Also, in every case so far, IPv4 has been configured to use a DHCP server to obtain proper addressing parameters.

The most frustrating part is that once failed there is no way to get the driver operational again through disabling/enabling or re-booting while connected to the same network. You can remove/reinstall as previously mentioned - or, I have found another trick that seems to work. Connect the PC to a different Ethernet connection, such as the assigned IP address will be different from what was previously used. On re-boot, almost without fail, the driver will properly load and IP will be configured.

This is a bit tough to do with a desktop. I've been known to take my laptop over to a network printer, unplug the CAT5 cable from the printer, plug in my notebook and re-boot. I'm sure the IT staff wouldn't be thrilled to know this. If this happens at the end of a day, I can also take the notebook home and plug into my home network - the trick is the IP address must be different from the one in use when the network driver failed.

Once re-booted and the network driver is working properly, I reconnect to my usual cable in my office and the adapter changes to the new IP address without problem.

I hope that is enough information for a Nvidia software engineer to diagnose the problem and build a better driver.

Jim Johnson
[quote name='mneblett' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:36 PM']I'm running the nForce 15.00 drivers, Vista 32-bit

[snapback]169655[/snapback]

Mark and others-

I am running the 15.00g driver on an Averatec 2370 notebook. This is a Vista Express Upgrade machine purchased last fall. Under XP the nForce Network Controller was rock solid stable. Now under Vista Home Premium, it is my least stable driver. The 15g driver is the latest available through Nvidia's site. The OEM is offering 15 (no letter) through its site.

When the adapter fails, it is always when doing a full power-up boot (another reason I use Sleep under Vista far more than I did under XP). In each case the failure is that the driver did not load. A perception is the driver is most prone to failure if Vista has some 'extra chores' to complete on that boot cycle. I suspect the driver loader times-out waiting for Vista. Also, in every case so far, IPv4 has been configured to use a DHCP server to obtain proper addressing parameters.

The most frustrating part is that once failed there is no way to get the driver operational again through disabling/enabling or re-booting while connected to the same network. You can remove/reinstall as previously mentioned - or, I have found another trick that seems to work. Connect the PC to a different Ethernet connection, such as the assigned IP address will be different from what was previously used. On re-boot, almost without fail, the driver will properly load and IP will be configured.

This is a bit tough to do with a desktop. I've been known to take my laptop over to a network printer, unplug the CAT5 cable from the printer, plug in my notebook and re-boot. I'm sure the IT staff wouldn't be thrilled to know this. If this happens at the end of a day, I can also take the notebook home and plug into my home network - the trick is the IP address must be different from the one in use when the network driver failed.

Once re-booted and the network driver is working properly, I reconnect to my usual cable in my office and the adapter changes to the new IP address without problem.

I hope that is enough information for a Nvidia software engineer to diagnose the problem and build a better driver.

Jim Johnson

Posted 07/20/2007 12:49 AM   
I was having the same problem with my NIC. After T/S it for a while, I discovered if you play with the speed and duplex setting, the connection will be come stable. The downside to it is that you might not be able to take full advantage of your networks speed. Right now I am running 10/Full.

Motherboard: MSI Neo4 (nForce4 chipset)
Driver Ver.: 15.01
I was having the same problem with my NIC. After T/S it for a while, I discovered if you play with the speed and duplex setting, the connection will be come stable. The downside to it is that you might not be able to take full advantage of your networks speed. Right now I am running 10/Full.

Posted 07/22/2007 01:24 PM   
[quote name='dent.masterson' date='Jul 22 2007, 08:24 AM']I was having the same problem with my NIC.  After T/S it for a while, I discovered if you play with the speed and duplex setting, the connection will be come stable.  The downside to it is that you might not be able to take full advantage of your networks speed.  Right now I am running 10/Full.

[right][snapback]226182[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually i got an answer about it from tech support...and posted it in a thread somewhere, but essentially what youve done is what they told me to do...

go into the NVIDIA Networking Controller in the device manager and under the Advanced>Speed/Duplex Settings i set it to Force 100 Full Duplex...

sometimes I have to switch it over to somethign else and then back again for it to work..and sometimes it works on Full Autonegotiation...

I have to say i have more issues with this particular motherboard than any ive ever had before...
[quote name='dent.masterson' date='Jul 22 2007, 08:24 AM']I was having the same problem with my NIC.  After T/S it for a while, I discovered if you play with the speed and duplex setting, the connection will be come stable.  The downside to it is that you might not be able to take full advantage of your networks speed.  Right now I am running 10/Full.

[snapback]226182[/snapback]

Actually i got an answer about it from tech support...and posted it in a thread somewhere, but essentially what youve done is what they told me to do...

go into the NVIDIA Networking Controller in the device manager and under the Advanced>Speed/Duplex Settings i set it to Force 100 Full Duplex...

sometimes I have to switch it over to somethign else and then back again for it to work..and sometimes it works on Full Autonegotiation...

I have to say i have more issues with this particular motherboard than any ive ever had before...

Posted 07/23/2007 07:38 PM   
[quote name='serenityconsult' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:49 PM']I am running the 15.00g driver on an Averatec 2370 notebook. This is a Vista Express Upgrade machine purchased last fall. Under XP the nForce Network Controller was rock solid stable. Now under Vista Home Premium, it is my least stable driver. The 15g driver is the latest available through Nvidia's site. The OEM is offering 15 (no letter) through its site.

[right][snapback]225149[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Update:
I have moved to the 15.1 driver. The behavior persists. It is still very much a PITA (pain int the ...)

I have found one way to trigger the problem. If I make system changes requiring a reboot (for example, I just enabled auto-login), sure as the devil, the driver for the networking controller will fail to load at re-boot. The only reliable work around remains as listed above. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
[quote name='serenityconsult' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:49 PM']I am running the 15.00g driver on an Averatec 2370 notebook. This is a Vista Express Upgrade machine purchased last fall. Under XP the nForce Network Controller was rock solid stable. Now under Vista Home Premium, it is my least stable driver. The 15g driver is the latest available through Nvidia's site. The OEM is offering 15 (no letter) through its site.

[snapback]225149[/snapback]

Update:

I have moved to the 15.1 driver. The behavior persists. It is still very much a PITA (pain int the ...)

I have found one way to trigger the problem. If I make system changes requiring a reboot (for example, I just enabled auto-login), sure as the devil, the driver for the networking controller will fail to load at re-boot. The only reliable work around remains as listed above. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 07/30/2007 03:38 PM   
[quote name='serenityconsult' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:38 AM']Update:

I have found one way to trigger the problem. If I make system changes requiring a reboot (for example, I just enabled auto-login), sure as the devil, the driver for the networking controller will fail to load at re-boot. The only reliable work around remains as listed above.  /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
[right][snapback]230345[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Out of curiosity; those of you experiencing this may want to try these steps:

Open up a command prompt and run ipconfig. See if your primary default gateway is set to 0.0.0.0 with your secondary being your usual. If so, go to your network adapters in the network and sharing panel and disable and then re-enable the adapter and see if it fixes your problem.

I get the same issue roughly 40% of my startups and this is what causes/fixes it.

Good Luck!
[quote name='serenityconsult' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:38 AM']Update:

I have found one way to trigger the problem. If I make system changes requiring a reboot (for example, I just enabled auto-login), sure as the devil, the driver for the networking controller will fail to load at re-boot. The only reliable work around remains as listed above.  /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

[snapback]230345[/snapback]

Out of curiosity; those of you experiencing this may want to try these steps:

Open up a command prompt and run ipconfig. See if your primary default gateway is set to 0.0.0.0 with your secondary being your usual. If so, go to your network adapters in the network and sharing panel and disable and then re-enable the adapter and see if it fixes your problem.

I get the same issue roughly 40% of my startups and this is what causes/fixes it.

Good Luck!

Posted 07/30/2007 04:04 PM   
[quote name='NaterGator' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:04 PM']Out of curiosity; those of you experiencing this may want to try these steps:

Good Luck!
[right][snapback]230366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Tried it - no go. If the driver doesn't load at startup, it won't load no matter how many times you try disabling/enabling.

So far you must either uninstall/reinstall the entire device driver (with a re-boot afterward), or find a network connection point with a different DHCP derived IP address and re-boot.

I'll try running ipconfig from the command prompt next time it happens, but I expect to find no listing at all for the wired Ethernet adapter (nForce Networking Controller). Without a loaded device driver, Vista doesn't even know the physical device exists. Certainly with no active device driver you can't get to the linked IPv4 protocol to manually change IP settings. Ditto, you can't run Vista's IP repair tools because Vista can't see a device to repair.
[quote name='NaterGator' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:04 PM']Out of curiosity; those of you experiencing this may want to try these steps:

Good Luck!

[snapback]230366[/snapback]

Tried it - no go. If the driver doesn't load at startup, it won't load no matter how many times you try disabling/enabling.

So far you must either uninstall/reinstall the entire device driver (with a re-boot afterward), or find a network connection point with a different DHCP derived IP address and re-boot.

I'll try running ipconfig from the command prompt next time it happens, but I expect to find no listing at all for the wired Ethernet adapter (nForce Networking Controller). Without a loaded device driver, Vista doesn't even know the physical device exists. Certainly with no active device driver you can't get to the linked IPv4 protocol to manually change IP settings. Ditto, you can't run Vista's IP repair tools because Vista can't see a device to repair.

Posted 07/30/2007 04:35 PM   
I am dead in the water with the same issue. I was running fine on my Asus P5N32E-SLI and Windows Vista since February. I upgraded from 15.00 to 15.01 (as well as a BIOS upgrade) and I've been having this problem ever since.

I'll try to play with speeds but I do a lot of video editing on this mahcine and move some pretty heafty files all the time. Running anything less than GigE speed is going to kill me.
I am dead in the water with the same issue. I was running fine on my Asus P5N32E-SLI and Windows Vista since February. I upgraded from 15.00 to 15.01 (as well as a BIOS upgrade) and I've been having this problem ever since.

I'll try to play with speeds but I do a lot of video editing on this mahcine and move some pretty heafty files all the time. Running anything less than GigE speed is going to kill me.

Posted 08/04/2007 10:12 PM   
I have almost the same problems with my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570 SLI motherboard... but only in combination with Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. When I install VPC2007 and I reboot my computer I get a 1-10 chance that the networkcard is working.

When it's not working, I can't even disable/enable the card using the device manager. The device manager will freeze afther I click on disable..

Weird problems...
I have almost the same problems with my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570 SLI motherboard... but only in combination with Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. When I install VPC2007 and I reboot my computer I get a 1-10 chance that the networkcard is working.

When it's not working, I can't even disable/enable the card using the device manager. The device manager will freeze afther I click on disable..

Weird problems...

Posted 08/06/2007 07:08 AM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top