Force Display detection
  1 / 3    
Hi folks,

I have a problem with some users, who boot the PC first and thereafter a beamer, so the PC don`t detect the beamer and they get a singleview on the monitor.
Is there a chance to force a output on both outputs? My goal is that the Desktop is cloned on the beamer and the TFT, wether the beamer is startet during the pc-boot or not.

any hints?
Hi folks,

I have a problem with some users, who boot the PC first and thereafter a beamer, so the PC don`t detect the beamer and they get a singleview on the monitor.

Is there a chance to force a output on both outputs? My goal is that the Desktop is cloned on the beamer and the TFT, wether the beamer is startet during the pc-boot or not.

any hints?

Posted 02/28/2007 11:07 AM   
no idea? Maybe I can tweak the registry or patch the firmware... /book.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':book:' />
no idea? Maybe I can tweak the registry or patch the firmware... /book.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':book:' />

Posted 03/02/2007 09:47 AM   
[quote name='kniepbert' date='Mar 2 2007, 01:47 AM']no idea? Maybe I can tweak the registry or patch the firmware... /book.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':book:' />
[right][snapback]165954[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution yet?
[quote name='kniepbert' date='Mar 2 2007, 01:47 AM']no idea? Maybe I can tweak the registry or patch the firmware... /book.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':book:' />

[snapback]165954[/snapback]

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution yet?

Posted 03/09/2007 02:19 PM   
Hi Fearless,

yes, I have found an solution... B)
You need the tool "nvregset.exe", which force the display-detection.
To force...
... port1&2 to analog-output:
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 3[/code]
... port1&2 digital-output:
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x30000[/code]
... port1 analog, port2 digital:
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x20001[/code]
... port1 digital, port2 analog:
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x10002[/code]
... back to autodetection (I guess its useful to bring it back to work):
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0 [/code]

This works after a restart. To set the display-options (singleview, clone, etc) you can use this:
singleview port1 analog: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard AA[/code]
singleview port2 analog: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard AB[/code]
singleview port1 digital: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard DA[/code]
singleview port2 digital: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard DB[/code]
clone port1&2 analog: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone AA AB[/code]
clone port1&2 digital: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone DA DB[/code]
clone analog - digital: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone AA DA[/code]
clone digital - analog: [code]rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone DA AA[/code]

Source: [url="http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t9392.html"]http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/lofive....php/t9392.html[/url]

I don´t know, where you can get the nvregset-tool, we get it for business-use, so I guess I can`t share it.

Greetz
Hi Fearless,

yes, I have found an solution... B)

You need the tool "nvregset.exe", which force the display-detection.

To force...

... port1&2 to analog-output:

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 3

... port1&2 digital-output:

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x30000

... port1 analog, port2 digital:

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x20001

... port1 digital, port2 analog:

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x10002

... back to autodetection (I guess its useful to bring it back to work):

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0

This works after a restart. To set the display-options (singleview, clone, etc) you can use this:

singleview port1 analog:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard AA

singleview port2 analog:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard AB

singleview port1 digital:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard DA

singleview port2 digital:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard DB

clone port1&2 analog:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone AA AB

clone port1&2 digital:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone DA DB

clone analog - digital:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone AA DA

clone digital - analog:
rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 clone DA AA

Source: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/lofive....php/t9392.html

I don´t know, where you can get the nvregset-tool, we get it for business-use, so I guess I can`t share it.

Greetz

Posted 03/14/2007 08:05 AM   
Cool! I can change clone mode now from command line. But first i have to switch on the projector, because i cannot find nvregset.exe :-( If you cannot give it to me, how did you get it? With what software?
Or could you look for "DevicesConnected" in the registry and post the path, so i can add the entry myself?

Thanks
Cool! I can change clone mode now from command line. But first i have to switch on the projector, because i cannot find nvregset.exe :-( If you cannot give it to me, how did you get it? With what software?

Or could you look for "DevicesConnected" in the registry and post the path, so i can add the entry myself?

Thanks

Posted 03/14/2007 07:49 PM   
Hi Fearless,

I just figured out the Regestry-entries, which changed by this tool:
There are three of them, but only two of them are changed.
You`ll find it near:
[code][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000][/code]
and
[code][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000][/code]
the last entry doesn`t change:
[code][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000][/code]
This entries don`t exist before you tweak your system with this tool, maybe you`re in a mood to check it of your own... :D
The key is a "binary word" named "DevicesConnected" and have the value "00 00 00 00".
It`s located in the column of numbers ({XXXXXXX-XXXXX}) in which are a lot of "_<gamenames>".

Good luck

PS: The tool (44K) is given direktly by a member of nvidia. I work in a big german car-company, so we get it on the short way. I don`t find it in the wide world-net, so I think I can`t share it. sry.. :unsure:
Hi Fearless,

I just figured out the Regestry-entries, which changed by this tool:

There are three of them, but only two of them are changed.

You`ll find it near:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000]

the last entry doesn`t change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{XXXXXXX-XXXXX}\000]

This entries don`t exist before you tweak your system with this tool, maybe you`re in a mood to check it of your own... :D

The key is a "binary word" named "DevicesConnected" and have the value "00 00 00 00".

It`s located in the column of numbers ({XXXXXXX-XXXXX}) in which are a lot of "_<gamenames>".

Good luck

PS: The tool (44K) is given direktly by a member of nvidia. I work in a big german car-company, so we get it on the short way. I don`t find it in the wide world-net, so I think I can`t share it. sry.. :unsure:

Posted 03/15/2007 07:41 AM   
Thanks! I think i found the right place in the registry like you described, but it doesn't seem to work. After starting the PC without the projector, it will still only show my analog Samsung Syncmaster if I look at the NVidia settings. :-(
I'm not sure, if i inserted the right value, you just say "00 00 00 00" but what would that be for
[code]nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x10002[/code]
0x10002 -> 01 00 00 02

Is that right? If so, I don't know why it doesn't work. :angry:
Thanks! I think i found the right place in the registry like you described, but it doesn't seem to work. After starting the PC without the projector, it will still only show my analog Samsung Syncmaster if I look at the NVidia settings. :-(

I'm not sure, if i inserted the right value, you just say "00 00 00 00" but what would that be for

nvregset.exe DevicesConnected 0x10002

0x10002 -> 01 00 00 02

Is that right? If so, I don't know why it doesn't work. :angry:

Posted 03/16/2007 05:22 PM   
Hi,

the binary-word for 0x1002 is "02 00 01 00".
I don`t see why it is that word but the tool make such an entry. :unsure:
- 2xdigital -> "00 00 03 00" (0x30000)
- 2xanalog -> "03 00 00 00" (0x3)
- digital/analog -> "02 00 01 00" (0x10002)
- analog/digital -> "01 00 02 00" (0x20001)

Greetz
Hi,

the binary-word for 0x1002 is "02 00 01 00".

I don`t see why it is that word but the tool make such an entry. :unsure:

- 2xdigital -> "00 00 03 00" (0x30000)

- 2xanalog -> "03 00 00 00" (0x3)

- digital/analog -> "02 00 01 00" (0x10002)

- analog/digital -> "01 00 02 00" (0x20001)

Greetz

Posted 03/19/2007 08:11 AM   
Thanks. Somehow it almost worked the first time I restarted, but then never again!?! It didn't work until I switched the input of the projector to the pc. But when i executed the clone script, the projector was the primary display. So this was good, but not perfect. I will try a little more if I find time...
Thanks. Somehow it almost worked the first time I restarted, but then never again!?! It didn't work until I switched the input of the projector to the pc. But when i executed the clone script, the projector was the primary display. So this was good, but not perfect. I will try a little more if I find time...

Posted 03/19/2007 06:51 PM   
I would love to know how to do this..
I would love to know how to do this..

Posted 09/16/2007 01:39 AM   
This issue is also discussed on
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=42965&hl=auto+detection"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...=auto+detection[/url]
And there is no acceptable answer from NVidia so far. Actually I have received no answer at all when asked about it this forum some time ago.

I myself was struggling hard over the same issue (using video splitter for second screen which was not detected during startup) so I've gained some experience:

during the boot-up, the NVidia driver is set to querry all the outputs (VGA,DVI,TV-out) for a "consumer", and the definition for "consumer" is a 75 Ohm impedance on the output line.
However, NOT ALL video devices have this - for example many video splitters and labaratory monitors don't. So they remain undetected during the autodetection process.

The problem is that NVidia's autodetection solution is oriented for "simple" users only, so anything that is not just plug and play won't work.

It's time to NVidia to realize that they have to provide solution for the industrial sector as well.
This issue is also discussed on

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...=auto+detection

And there is no acceptable answer from NVidia so far. Actually I have received no answer at all when asked about it this forum some time ago.

I myself was struggling hard over the same issue (using video splitter for second screen which was not detected during startup) so I've gained some experience:

during the boot-up, the NVidia driver is set to querry all the outputs (VGA,DVI,TV-out) for a "consumer", and the definition for "consumer" is a 75 Ohm impedance on the output line.

However, NOT ALL video devices have this - for example many video splitters and labaratory monitors don't. So they remain undetected during the autodetection process.

The problem is that NVidia's autodetection solution is oriented for "simple" users only, so anything that is not just plug and play won't work.

It's time to NVidia to realize that they have to provide solution for the industrial sector as well.

Posted 09/27/2007 01:47 PM   
[quote name='ev_mp' date='Sep 27 2007, 07:17 PM']The problem is that NVidia's autodetection solution is oriented for "simple" users only
[right][snapback]257437[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Not true. I have an old TV that I want to connect using composite video - [b]can't get more 'simple' than that[/b], :P and it still doesn't work. :(

Problem is, the S-Video to composite adapter/converter/cable does not provide 75 ohm termination/loading on [b]both[/b] outputs. Result: same detection failure. :(

This is far more irritating for me. To get back the composite video output, I have to
1. unplug the S-Video to composite adapter/ cable,
2. connect the TV using the regular S-Video cable (disconnecting it from whatever it was connected to earlier),
3. open the nVidia control panel,
4. detect the TV and set up multiple displays,
5. close the nVidia control panel,
6. unplug the S-Video cable,
7. plug in the S-Video to composite adapter/ cable (reconnecting the S-Video cable to whatever it was connected to earlier)

I have to repeat above procedure [b]every[/b] reboot and [b]every[/b] time the nVidia control panel is opened. :'( /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

Fortunately my TV does have an S-Video input - (being used by something else, so I still want the composite video from the computer), otherwise I wouldn't even have got this far. With a 'composite only' TV/device [b]the card is completely unusable[/b].

They told me my support request was in level 2 tech and something would be done in the October release. No joy so far - still hoping. /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' />
7600GS 256MB AGP
[quote name='ev_mp' date='Sep 27 2007, 07:17 PM']The problem is that NVidia's autodetection solution is oriented for "simple" users only

[snapback]257437[/snapback]

Not true. I have an old TV that I want to connect using composite video - can't get more 'simple' than that, :P and it still doesn't work. :(

Problem is, the S-Video to composite adapter/converter/cable does not provide 75 ohm termination/loading on both outputs. Result: same detection failure. :(

This is far more irritating for me. To get back the composite video output, I have to

1. unplug the S-Video to composite adapter/ cable,

2. connect the TV using the regular S-Video cable (disconnecting it from whatever it was connected to earlier),

3. open the nVidia control panel,

4. detect the TV and set up multiple displays,

5. close the nVidia control panel,

6. unplug the S-Video cable,

7. plug in the S-Video to composite adapter/ cable (reconnecting the S-Video cable to whatever it was connected to earlier)

I have to repeat above procedure every reboot and every time the nVidia control panel is opened. :'( /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

Fortunately my TV does have an S-Video input - (being used by something else, so I still want the composite video from the computer), otherwise I wouldn't even have got this far. With a 'composite only' TV/device the card is completely unusable.

They told me my support request was in level 2 tech and something would be done in the October release. No joy so far - still hoping. /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' />

7600GS 256MB AGP

Posted 10/22/2007 10:52 PM   
[quote name='Sujit Liddle' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:52 AM']Not true. I have an old TV that I want to connect using composite video - [b]can't get more 'simple' than that[/b], :P and it still doesn't work. :(
[/quote]

I completely agree with you. Actually I was saying that NVIDIA is focused on a main stream users (gamers) and doesn't pay attention to the small features that used to make their products look more professional than ATI.
Where is the backward compatibility? I'm not talking about new features, but things that worked with GeForce 7 (driver 84.21) are now (driver 93.+) partly buggy (store/apply profile settings), partly not available at all ("disable autipanning" in clone mode)!

BTW, I even bought (12$) a termination plug 75 Ohm to be used during boot as "starter", then I replace the plug with a real cable. This in order to avoid the procedure you describe.

Regards
[quote name='Sujit Liddle' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:52 AM']Not true. I have an old TV that I want to connect using composite video - can't get more 'simple' than that, :P and it still doesn't work. :(

I completely agree with you. Actually I was saying that NVIDIA is focused on a main stream users (gamers) and doesn't pay attention to the small features that used to make their products look more professional than ATI.

Where is the backward compatibility? I'm not talking about new features, but things that worked with GeForce 7 (driver 84.21) are now (driver 93.+) partly buggy (store/apply profile settings), partly not available at all ("disable autipanning" in clone mode)!

BTW, I even bought (12$) a termination plug 75 Ohm to be used during boot as "starter", then I replace the plug with a real cable. This in order to avoid the procedure you describe.

Regards

Posted 10/23/2007 12:22 PM   
Nice tip about the plug. I can build it myself using a regular s-video plug and soldering two 75ohm resistors across the outputs.

I'm also considering building a more elaborate solution using a triple video buffer IC - terminate each output, buffer them, do the s-video to composite conversion, then buffer the composite video to send to the TV. I can draw power from the PC to run the buffer IC.

Sigh! :( All these workarounds for something that can very easily be fixed in the driver. :P Maybe we should pressurize nVidia to release the source code for their drivers. ;) :lol:
Nice tip about the plug. I can build it myself using a regular s-video plug and soldering two 75ohm resistors across the outputs.

I'm also considering building a more elaborate solution using a triple video buffer IC - terminate each output, buffer them, do the s-video to composite conversion, then buffer the composite video to send to the TV. I can draw power from the PC to run the buffer IC.

Sigh! :( All these workarounds for something that can very easily be fixed in the driver. :P Maybe we should pressurize nVidia to release the source code for their drivers. ;) :lol:

Posted 10/23/2007 12:53 PM   
btw. I'm sure those using component video would face the same problem if one of the cables was disconnected. Can someone who has such a setup please verify?
btw. I'm sure those using component video would face the same problem if one of the cables was disconnected. Can someone who has such a setup please verify?

Posted 10/23/2007 12:59 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top