Code 43 Findings Code 43 error, and how I fixed it.
Let's start off with my system:

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD X2 3800
2G OCX Memory (1G x 2)
2 BFG 7800 GTOC's in SLI
Creative X-FI Fatality
Vista Ultimate (32bit)

I bought Vista the day it came out and installed. At the time, my system was configured as above, with SLI enabled. The Vista WHQL drivers are installed by default with the OS, and I downloaded the 100.54 drivers and installed them.

Things ran alright, not that great of performance of course. I went into the applet, and tried to enable SLI a few times and then of course realized SLI doesn't work with the .54 drivers. Bummer.

A few days later, I saw 100.59 was released. I downloaded and installed these.
In the middle of installation, the screen went black and never came back. Reboot.
Tried installing again, and this time it went through and the system restarted as required. On bootup, I had a black screen. You could hear the Vista startup .wav, but no video. I tried moving the monitor to all 4 of the DVI outputs thinking maybe the drivers were being weird since SLI isn't supported (shouldn't prevent single card even in SLI I thought). Nothing.

So I booted to Safe Mode, uninstalled the driver, and reverted back to 100.54. Back to normal.

I decided to remove my system from SLI configuration, to see if I could use the 100.59 drivers then. Shutdown, removed the 2nd card, flipped the onboard SLI SIMM looking thing (sorry, can't remember the name) to single card configuration, and put the case back on. Booted up and installed 100.59, and it installed fine. Restarted the system as required, and it came up. However it came up in the wrong resolution (not 1680x1050), and wouldn't allow me to go to that resolution. Upon looking at the Device Manager, I noticed the Code 43 error. I went through all kinds of uninstalling, driver cleaners, etc to see if it was something like that, but to no avail, I'd always receive the Code 43. So i reloaded 100.54 and continued to play games while I waited for the next release.

100.64 was released, and I downloaded those to the same outcome. Code 43. Grr. The more I thought about it, the more I was sure there was something messed up from a previous install, but I couldn't find a way to fix that. I decided to be drastic this Friday since I'd have time over the weekend, and did a System Restore to the day of the Vista Installation.

Booted up after the System Restore, noted the return to the stock WHQL drivers, and I downloaded the 100.64 drivers from nvidia.com. Installed them, and voila, no more Code 43. Now what I don't know, is did they install correctly and not jack up my system because I'm not in SLI? Did messing with the SLI toggle in the applet with the .54 drivers jack up something in the registry that would cause the newer drivers to Code 43? Did not unloading the .54 and installing .59 over top cause the issue (yes, I will now always uninstall the current driver just to be safe, never did on XP). I don't know.

I know this is rather verbose, but I hope by listing my complete steps from start to finish will help identify the cause of this, and perhaps have a cleanup or fix included in future driver releases to save others the frustration of having to reinstall apps and such from a Restore Point/re-install.

To those hoping for an easy fix, I'm sorry, it's still a crappy fix, but a fix nonetheless, something I was unable to find in all my searches for the issue.

Good luck to all you fellow 43'ers!
Let's start off with my system:

Asus A8N-SLI

AMD X2 3800

2G OCX Memory (1G x 2)

2 BFG 7800 GTOC's in SLI

Creative X-FI Fatality

Vista Ultimate (32bit)

I bought Vista the day it came out and installed. At the time, my system was configured as above, with SLI enabled. The Vista WHQL drivers are installed by default with the OS, and I downloaded the 100.54 drivers and installed them.

Things ran alright, not that great of performance of course. I went into the applet, and tried to enable SLI a few times and then of course realized SLI doesn't work with the .54 drivers. Bummer.

A few days later, I saw 100.59 was released. I downloaded and installed these.

In the middle of installation, the screen went black and never came back. Reboot.

Tried installing again, and this time it went through and the system restarted as required. On bootup, I had a black screen. You could hear the Vista startup .wav, but no video. I tried moving the monitor to all 4 of the DVI outputs thinking maybe the drivers were being weird since SLI isn't supported (shouldn't prevent single card even in SLI I thought). Nothing.

So I booted to Safe Mode, uninstalled the driver, and reverted back to 100.54. Back to normal.

I decided to remove my system from SLI configuration, to see if I could use the 100.59 drivers then. Shutdown, removed the 2nd card, flipped the onboard SLI SIMM looking thing (sorry, can't remember the name) to single card configuration, and put the case back on. Booted up and installed 100.59, and it installed fine. Restarted the system as required, and it came up. However it came up in the wrong resolution (not 1680x1050), and wouldn't allow me to go to that resolution. Upon looking at the Device Manager, I noticed the Code 43 error. I went through all kinds of uninstalling, driver cleaners, etc to see if it was something like that, but to no avail, I'd always receive the Code 43. So i reloaded 100.54 and continued to play games while I waited for the next release.

100.64 was released, and I downloaded those to the same outcome. Code 43. Grr. The more I thought about it, the more I was sure there was something messed up from a previous install, but I couldn't find a way to fix that. I decided to be drastic this Friday since I'd have time over the weekend, and did a System Restore to the day of the Vista Installation.

Booted up after the System Restore, noted the return to the stock WHQL drivers, and I downloaded the 100.64 drivers from nvidia.com. Installed them, and voila, no more Code 43. Now what I don't know, is did they install correctly and not jack up my system because I'm not in SLI? Did messing with the SLI toggle in the applet with the .54 drivers jack up something in the registry that would cause the newer drivers to Code 43? Did not unloading the .54 and installing .59 over top cause the issue (yes, I will now always uninstall the current driver just to be safe, never did on XP). I don't know.

I know this is rather verbose, but I hope by listing my complete steps from start to finish will help identify the cause of this, and perhaps have a cleanup or fix included in future driver releases to save others the frustration of having to reinstall apps and such from a Restore Point/re-install.

To those hoping for an easy fix, I'm sorry, it's still a crappy fix, but a fix nonetheless, something I was unable to find in all my searches for the issue.

Good luck to all you fellow 43'ers!

Posted 02/19/2007 04:34 PM   
Scroll To Top