shutter glasses vs other 3d solutions (e.g. IZ3D)
I'm considering buying the iz3d monitor that's coming out in April/May but I'm curious if anyone has any other recommendations and/or if anyone has used the iz3d and can say how bright they are relative to shutter glasses and if the 3d effect is any better than the lcd glasses.

I'm expecting the following improvements:
1. image a lot brighter
2. much less ghosting (actually i'm expecting no ghosting at all)
3. 3d effect better (??)

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Thanks.
-Nate
I'm considering buying the iz3d monitor that's coming out in April/May but I'm curious if anyone has any other recommendations and/or if anyone has used the iz3d and can say how bright they are relative to shutter glasses and if the 3d effect is any better than the lcd glasses.

I'm expecting the following improvements:

1. image a lot brighter

2. much less ghosting (actually i'm expecting no ghosting at all)

3. 3d effect better (??)

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

-Nate

Posted 02/15/2007 06:34 PM   
Hello!

I can't comment on the 22" version because I don't own one yet, but I have been happy with the 17" model.

Do a search, and you will find that I gave a detailed review in this forum.

There is some ghosting with the 17" model, but you can't really mention IZ3D and LCD Shutterglasses in the same breath - there's no comparison.

Read the review!

There are some color adjustments I use to reduce ghosting even further.

Oh - and the image is not dark like LCD shutterglasses. As I said, you can't compare the two.

Regards,
Choppper :magic:
Hello!

I can't comment on the 22" version because I don't own one yet, but I have been happy with the 17" model.

Do a search, and you will find that I gave a detailed review in this forum.

There is some ghosting with the 17" model, but you can't really mention IZ3D and LCD Shutterglasses in the same breath - there's no comparison.

Read the review!

There are some color adjustments I use to reduce ghosting even further.

Oh - and the image is not dark like LCD shutterglasses. As I said, you can't compare the two.

Regards,

Choppper :magic:

Posted 02/15/2007 09:01 PM   
Thanks, Chopper, I saw your review, that's good info!

Are you still using your iz3d monitor for 3d games and still enjoying it?
Thanks.
-Nate
Thanks, Chopper, I saw your review, that's good info!

Are you still using your iz3d monitor for 3d games and still enjoying it?

Thanks.

-Nate

Posted 02/15/2007 10:02 PM   
Of course I'm still using the monitor!

My shutter glasses and CRT are getting dusty as we speak.

Regards,
Chopper :magic:
Of course I'm still using the monitor!

My shutter glasses and CRT are getting dusty as we speak.

Regards,

Posted 02/15/2007 11:49 PM   
Thanks for the quick reply, Chopper. I asked because I'm curious about longevity of use and I get a knot in my stomach when I think about dropping $900 for something. I bought an ECCI wheel a couple years ago for around that amount and have really been happy with it for driving games, but it took me a couple months to finally go ahead and do it.

I'm thinking of driving 3 hours to Plano, Texas to try the 17" monitor out. They have it at a gaming place there, GameWyze. They don't sell it, but you can play on their computer that is using it.

I did read your review and it answered most of my questions.

One question I still have is, do you perceive more depth with your monitor relative to shutter glasses? In addition to the image being 1)brighter 2) less ghosting and 3) no flicker, do you also think it gives a better sense of depth?

Thanks for your help!
-Nate
Thanks for the quick reply, Chopper. I asked because I'm curious about longevity of use and I get a knot in my stomach when I think about dropping $900 for something. I bought an ECCI wheel a couple years ago for around that amount and have really been happy with it for driving games, but it took me a couple months to finally go ahead and do it.

I'm thinking of driving 3 hours to Plano, Texas to try the 17" monitor out. They have it at a gaming place there, GameWyze. They don't sell it, but you can play on their computer that is using it.

I did read your review and it answered most of my questions.

One question I still have is, do you perceive more depth with your monitor relative to shutter glasses? In addition to the image being 1)brighter 2) less ghosting and 3) no flicker, do you also think it gives a better sense of depth?

Thanks for your help!

-Nate

Posted 02/16/2007 01:58 AM   
Save yourself the gas money - there is no need to drive!

I've never seen the 22" monitor firsthand, but the 17" monitor is in itself impressive.

You can find lots of reviews for it on the Internet.

I find that with most products, they improve with each revision, and I'm confident that the next release is going to be something else.

Price out a traditional 22" monitor, and see if it's worth your while.

I find the 3D effect is more related to software than hardware these days, but I'm really big on the pop-out effect - and I like it with this monitor.

Besides, my wife likes the IZ3D glasses more than the LCD Shutterglasses....so you can can lose the "I'm Too Geeky to be Around Women" effect.

Regards,
Save yourself the gas money - there is no need to drive!

I've never seen the 22" monitor firsthand, but the 17" monitor is in itself impressive.

You can find lots of reviews for it on the Internet.

I find that with most products, they improve with each revision, and I'm confident that the next release is going to be something else.

Price out a traditional 22" monitor, and see if it's worth your while.

I find the 3D effect is more related to software than hardware these days, but I'm really big on the pop-out effect - and I like it with this monitor.

Besides, my wife likes the IZ3D glasses more than the LCD Shutterglasses....so you can can lose the "I'm Too Geeky to be Around Women" effect.

Regards,

Posted 02/16/2007 03:18 AM   
Chopper,

I too was thinking of purchasing the new 22" IZ3D monitor but had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I don't do gaming and use stereo mostly for 2D to 3D conversion of video. Some movies but mostly sporting clips. I shelled out $300 for DDD's tridef media player which works pretty well..but my question is will the IZ3D monitor work for what I am doing? Will it work with the media player? If so, will it work well especially with the "pop-out" effect you are talking about. I don't know if you've use the monitor for movies, etc.

2) I bought an nVidia quadro FX1400 card specifically to use the openGL page-flipping feature on Tridef's media player, which again works pretty well with shutterglasses but I don't know for the new IZ3D monitor. I read the open GL thread on IZ3D's forum but I am still not sure. Will I need to get a new card?

3) The pre-order sale for $819 for the 22" looks pretty good considering that the 17" was going for $1300 not too long ago. Especially since it looks like they don't charge your card until its shipped. My question, though, is that I was also thinking of upgrading my shutterglasses to the stereographics Crystal eyes 3 or workstation, which would run me $450 with their upgrade special. Have you tried these glasses for better viewing (reduced ghosting, etc) on traditional CRT displays? Or is this a no-brainer and I should definitely go with the IZ3D? I guess the big question, though, is how well it works with non-gaming applications.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray
Chopper,

I too was thinking of purchasing the new 22" IZ3D monitor but had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I don't do gaming and use stereo mostly for 2D to 3D conversion of video. Some movies but mostly sporting clips. I shelled out $300 for DDD's tridef media player which works pretty well..but my question is will the IZ3D monitor work for what I am doing? Will it work with the media player? If so, will it work well especially with the "pop-out" effect you are talking about. I don't know if you've use the monitor for movies, etc.

2) I bought an nVidia quadro FX1400 card specifically to use the openGL page-flipping feature on Tridef's media player, which again works pretty well with shutterglasses but I don't know for the new IZ3D monitor. I read the open GL thread on IZ3D's forum but I am still not sure. Will I need to get a new card?

3) The pre-order sale for $819 for the 22" looks pretty good considering that the 17" was going for $1300 not too long ago. Especially since it looks like they don't charge your card until its shipped. My question, though, is that I was also thinking of upgrading my shutterglasses to the stereographics Crystal eyes 3 or workstation, which would run me $450 with their upgrade special. Have you tried these glasses for better viewing (reduced ghosting, etc) on traditional CRT displays? Or is this a no-brainer and I should definitely go with the IZ3D? I guess the big question, though, is how well it works with non-gaming applications.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Posted 02/19/2007 03:39 AM   

-----

You're going to have to ask IZ3D about this.

The monitor is very much based on the NVIDIA driver set. DirectX is supported, and OpenGL SHOULD be supported, but the current NVIDIA release is buggy for the IZ3D portion. Why, I don't know. I'm really holding my breath for the next Forceware and Stereo combo because the OpenGL problem should be very easy to fix.

OpenGL is definitely implemented, but NVIDIA forgot to initiate the polarization in their IZ3D component.

I'm not familiar with that player, but if it uses DirectX and bases it's compatibility on the NVIDIA stereo drivers, you should be fine....SHOULD.

----

It's not the monitor that would hold you back, it's the driver. As soon as a new stereo driver is released, I'm going to test OpenGL on IZ3D. NVIDIA implemented it, no question - it's just got a minor bug that prevents the whole thing from working.

The screen splits and converges the way it should, but the polarization isn't turned on, so it's as though the glasses aren't working.

----

This is something I just can't answer for you. I've never used the Crystal Eyes solution, and I'm into games more than anything.

When NVIDIA gets the OpenGL properly implemented the way they have for other 3D solutions, I think the IZ3D solution will work for you.

Regards,

-----

You're going to have to ask IZ3D about this.

The monitor is very much based on the NVIDIA driver set. DirectX is supported, and OpenGL SHOULD be supported, but the current NVIDIA release is buggy for the IZ3D portion. Why, I don't know. I'm really holding my breath for the next Forceware and Stereo combo because the OpenGL problem should be very easy to fix.

OpenGL is definitely implemented, but NVIDIA forgot to initiate the polarization in their IZ3D component.

I'm not familiar with that player, but if it uses DirectX and bases it's compatibility on the NVIDIA stereo drivers, you should be fine....SHOULD.

----

It's not the monitor that would hold you back, it's the driver. As soon as a new stereo driver is released, I'm going to test OpenGL on IZ3D. NVIDIA implemented it, no question - it's just got a minor bug that prevents the whole thing from working.

The screen splits and converges the way it should, but the polarization isn't turned on, so it's as though the glasses aren't working.

----

This is something I just can't answer for you. I've never used the Crystal Eyes solution, and I'm into games more than anything.

When NVIDIA gets the OpenGL properly implemented the way they have for other 3D solutions, I think the IZ3D solution will work for you.

Regards,

Posted 02/19/2007 04:47 AM   
If you use shutter glasses with a a high refresh rate monitor (1024x768@120hz) shutter glasses will be as good if not better than the iz3d monitor ... and of course its only a fraction of the price of the iz3d monitor. But what you will need is an nvidia graphics card that is not an 8 series (8800gtx) because the 8 series has no available stereo drivers yet.
If you use shutter glasses with a a high refresh rate monitor (1024x768@120hz) shutter glasses will be as good if not better than the iz3d monitor ... and of course its only a fraction of the price of the iz3d monitor. But what you will need is an nvidia graphics card that is not an 8 series (8800gtx) because the 8 series has no available stereo drivers yet.

Posted 03/25/2008 05:38 PM   
you can view the screen from any angle with shutter glasses where as the viewing angle is limited with iz3d
you can view the screen from any angle with shutter glasses where as the viewing angle is limited with iz3d

Posted 03/25/2008 05:46 PM   
[quote name='Warlock_boy_burn' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:38 AM']But what you will need is an nvidia graphics card that is not an 8 series (8800gtx) because the 8 series has no available stereo drivers yet.
[right][snapback]350846[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
For iZ3D Monitor you can use any single chip video card. iZ3D Driver for D3D8,9 perhaps better than NVidia Stereo Driver.
[quote name='Warlock_boy_burn' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:38 AM']But what you will need is an nvidia graphics card that is not an 8 series (8800gtx) because the 8 series has no available stereo drivers yet.

[snapback]350846[/snapback]

For iZ3D Monitor you can use any single chip video card. iZ3D Driver for D3D8,9 perhaps better than NVidia Stereo Driver.

Posted 03/25/2008 09:40 PM   
Scroll To Top