Battlefield 2142 Widescreen Help! Can't get Battlefield 2142 to work...
  1 / 2    
(!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

I have read so many posts trying to fix this problem, whether it is going into the "shortcut properties" and modifying that, or going into the "Video.con" file and messing with that, nothing has worked! It's so bad, it's to the point where I just double click Battlefield 2142, it loads up to just a black screen, then exits back to my desktop!

I recently (before Christmas) owned a 19" monitor, which of course Battlefield 2142 worked perfectly on. Then Christmas time rolled around, and I got the Dell UltraSharp 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor I wanted. (Being specific just in case) So of course I immediatly loaded up World of Warcraft, looked beautiful on it, purely awesome. Then later on in the week, I had the urge to play Battlefield 2142 on it, and to my surprise it just didn't load up. [b]It doesn't even load up to the menu people, just goes to a black screen and spits it up back to the desktop[/b]. I've tried just re-intalling it, that didn't work either. I have tried virtually everything I can think of to custom tweak the resolution so it could work!

If someone out there knows any way to fix it at all, even if it is something I have done. Please list it in detail what to do and where to go below, I could have messed up on something I have tried before. Also, if fixing it results in small black bars around my screen, I am perfectly fine with it. I just want a nice, clean, crisp version of it that I can play!

Thankyou, and please post soon!
-FiveFourthsDumb ^_^
(!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

I have read so many posts trying to fix this problem, whether it is going into the "shortcut properties" and modifying that, or going into the "Video.con" file and messing with that, nothing has worked! It's so bad, it's to the point where I just double click Battlefield 2142, it loads up to just a black screen, then exits back to my desktop!

I recently (before Christmas) owned a 19" monitor, which of course Battlefield 2142 worked perfectly on. Then Christmas time rolled around, and I got the Dell UltraSharp 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor I wanted. (Being specific just in case) So of course I immediatly loaded up World of Warcraft, looked beautiful on it, purely awesome. Then later on in the week, I had the urge to play Battlefield 2142 on it, and to my surprise it just didn't load up. It doesn't even load up to the menu people, just goes to a black screen and spits it up back to the desktop. I've tried just re-intalling it, that didn't work either. I have tried virtually everything I can think of to custom tweak the resolution so it could work!

If someone out there knows any way to fix it at all, even if it is something I have done. Please list it in detail what to do and where to go below, I could have messed up on something I have tried before. Also, if fixing it results in small black bars around my screen, I am perfectly fine with it. I just want a nice, clean, crisp version of it that I can play!

-FiveFourthsDumb ^_^

Posted 02/13/2007 01:41 AM   
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 12 2007, 05:41 PM'](!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

I recently (before Christmas) owned a 19" monitor, which of course Battlefield 2142 worked perfectly on. Then Christmas time rolled around, and I got the Dell UltraSharp 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor I wanted. (Being specific just in case) So of course I immediatly loaded up World of Warcraft, looked beautiful on it, purely awesome. Then later on in the week, I had the urge to play Battlefield 2142 on it, and to my surprise it just didn't load up. [b]It doesn't even load up to the menu people, just goes to a black screen and spits it up back to the desktop[/b]. I've tried just re-intalling it, that didn't work either. I have tried virtually everything I can think of to custom tweak the resolution so it could work!

-FiveFourthsDumb  ^_^
[right][snapback]158912[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Did you go to My Documents\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\cache and delete the files there?
What exactly did you do to your short cut?
It should look exactly like this in the target field if your resolution is 2560x1600.
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600
The video.con mod does not work.
I hope this helps.
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 12 2007, 05:41 PM'](!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

I recently (before Christmas) owned a 19" monitor, which of course Battlefield 2142 worked perfectly on. Then Christmas time rolled around, and I got the Dell UltraSharp 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor I wanted. (Being specific just in case) So of course I immediatly loaded up World of Warcraft, looked beautiful on it, purely awesome. Then later on in the week, I had the urge to play Battlefield 2142 on it, and to my surprise it just didn't load up. It doesn't even load up to the menu people, just goes to a black screen and spits it up back to the desktop. I've tried just re-intalling it, that didn't work either. I have tried virtually everything I can think of to custom tweak the resolution so it could work!

-FiveFourthsDumb  ^_^

[snapback]158912[/snapback]

Did you go to My Documents\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\cache and delete the files there?

What exactly did you do to your short cut?

It should look exactly like this in the target field if your resolution is 2560x1600.

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600

The video.con mod does not work.

I hope this helps.

Posted 02/13/2007 02:58 AM   
i am having a similar issue and have not found an answer on any threads thusfar.

I just bought an hp dv9000 w/ following specs
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
- Intel® Core(tm) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
- 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
- 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600
- 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

game: battlfield 2142
issue: when i click on any of the shortcuts it says bf2142.exe has stopped working. "A prblem caused the program to stop working etc..." This happens after the initial picture for the game comes up then the screen goes black and kicks me back to my desktop w/ that message. I tried to change the compatibility and run the program in compatibility mode fro Windows XP pack 2 but then a new message comes up saying please insert the bf2142 disc....but it is in there already and won't start up. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? THANK YOU
i am having a similar issue and have not found an answer on any threads thusfar.

I just bought an hp dv9000 w/ following specs

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

- Intel® Core(tm) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)

- 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)

- 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600

- 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

game: battlfield 2142

issue: when i click on any of the shortcuts it says bf2142.exe has stopped working. "A prblem caused the program to stop working etc..." This happens after the initial picture for the game comes up then the screen goes black and kicks me back to my desktop w/ that message. I tried to change the compatibility and run the program in compatibility mode fro Windows XP pack 2 but then a new message comes up saying please insert the bf2142 disc....but it is in there already and won't start up. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? THANK YOU

Posted 02/14/2007 06:42 AM   
Yes, that is exactly what my shortcut looks like, and it doesn't work. I realized the video.con thing doesn't work either. I will try to delete the things you said to, I don't know what that will do though.

If anyone else has any fixes please help me!! I almost would want to play with black bars if I have to, it's no big deal at all, any fixes, please help!
Yes, that is exactly what my shortcut looks like, and it doesn't work. I realized the video.con thing doesn't work either. I will try to delete the things you said to, I don't know what that will do though.

If anyone else has any fixes please help me!! I almost would want to play with black bars if I have to, it's no big deal at all, any fixes, please help!

Posted 02/16/2007 04:39 AM   
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 15 2007, 08:39 PM']Yes, that is exactly what my shortcut looks like, and it doesn't work. I realized the video.con thing doesn't work either. I will try to delete the things you said to, I don't know what that will do though.

[right][snapback]160285[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What resolution is your desk top?
It may be that the drivers only support 2048x1536.
Try changing it to +szx 2048 +szy 1536
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 15 2007, 08:39 PM']Yes, that is exactly what my shortcut looks like, and it doesn't work. I realized the video.con thing doesn't work either. I will try to delete the things you said to, I don't know what that will do though.

[snapback]160285[/snapback]

What resolution is your desk top?

It may be that the drivers only support 2048x1536.

Try changing it to +szx 2048 +szy 1536

Posted 02/16/2007 08:24 PM   
Just tried changing it to that, doesn't work either.

Once again, if anyone has any other fixes to this problem, please post. I will try anything to get this working.
Just tried changing it to that, doesn't work either.

Once again, if anyone has any other fixes to this problem, please post. I will try anything to get this working.

Posted 02/16/2007 09:57 PM   
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 16 2007, 05:57 PM']Just tried changing it to that, doesn't work either.

[right][snapback]160464[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What OS are you running?
What video card?
What driver version?
[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 16 2007, 05:57 PM']Just tried changing it to that, doesn't work either.

[snapback]160464[/snapback]

What OS are you running?

What video card?

What driver version?

Posted 02/16/2007 10:28 PM   
does 2142 support widescreen
does 2142 support widescreen

GTX 580 3 GB

6 GB Corsair xms gold @ 1066

core i7 920 stock

windows 7 64 bit

Posted 02/20/2007 11:17 PM   
[quote name='beastoftheeast' date='Feb 20 2007, 06:17 PM']does 2142 support widescreen
[right][snapback]162089[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Non of the Battlefield games support native widescreen. You can force them to use the widescreen resolution, But the images will be stretched out.
[quote name='beastoftheeast' date='Feb 20 2007, 06:17 PM']does 2142 support widescreen

[snapback]162089[/snapback]

Non of the Battlefield games support native widescreen. You can force them to use the widescreen resolution, But the images will be stretched out.

Posted 02/21/2007 12:53 AM   
[quote name='TigerClaw' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:53 PM']Non of the Battlefield games support native widescreen. You can force them to use the widescreen resolution, But the images will be stretched out.
[right][snapback]162128[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Not stretched - it cuts off top and bottom, reducing the field of view.
[quote name='TigerClaw' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:53 PM']Non of the Battlefield games support native widescreen. You can force them to use the widescreen resolution, But the images will be stretched out.

[snapback]162128[/snapback]

Not stretched - it cuts off top and bottom, reducing the field of view.

Posted 02/21/2007 01:47 AM   
<deleted>
<deleted>

Posted 02/21/2007 01:47 AM   
I had that problem for weeks...

SOLUTION:

*delete the battlefield 2142 folder in my documents*

i emailed the technical support people and they told me that the bf2142 folder in my documents get corrupted over time.

it worked for me, good luck! :D

[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 12 2007, 09:41 PM'](!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

-FiveFourthsDumb  ^_^
[right][snapback]158912[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I had that problem for weeks...

SOLUTION:

*delete the battlefield 2142 folder in my documents*

i emailed the technical support people and they told me that the bf2142 folder in my documents get corrupted over time.

it worked for me, good luck! :D

[quote name='fivefourthsdumb' date='Feb 12 2007, 09:41 PM'](!) Okay, so I know someone will flame me telling me to read the other posts on this topic, but trust me...I have!

-FiveFourthsDumb  ^_^

[snapback]158912[/snapback]

Posted 02/22/2007 09:00 AM   
Had the exact same problem playing BF2142 on my HD TV. In my case (and sounds like you may be having the same issue as me), I had to set the display back to my CRT monitor, start up the game and go into video and change the res to be 800x600 @ 60hz.

After I did that, (I already had my BF icon set to launch @ 1920 x 1040 using the +szx 1920 +szy 1040 setting) I just clicked on the icon and voila. I haven't looked back since. I guess that even though you tell it to launch the game at a certain res, something is still reading the in game res setting, then says your monitor can't support it and the game just sends you back to desktop.

Where I think my problem was, is that my refresh was set to 85hz (which is what my crt uses) and of course my lcd tv runs at 60hz.
Was your 19" an lcd or a crt?

Anyways, not sure if this will help but try setting your res in game to the lowest 800x600@60hz graphics setting (I guess you'll need another monitor to actuallly launch the game first). Then set your res via your launch command .

Let me know how it goes.
Had the exact same problem playing BF2142 on my HD TV. In my case (and sounds like you may be having the same issue as me), I had to set the display back to my CRT monitor, start up the game and go into video and change the res to be 800x600 @ 60hz.

After I did that, (I already had my BF icon set to launch @ 1920 x 1040 using the +szx 1920 +szy 1040 setting) I just clicked on the icon and voila. I haven't looked back since. I guess that even though you tell it to launch the game at a certain res, something is still reading the in game res setting, then says your monitor can't support it and the game just sends you back to desktop.

Where I think my problem was, is that my refresh was set to 85hz (which is what my crt uses) and of course my lcd tv runs at 60hz.

Was your 19" an lcd or a crt?

Anyways, not sure if this will help but try setting your res in game to the lowest 800x600@60hz graphics setting (I guess you'll need another monitor to actuallly launch the game first). Then set your res via your launch command .

Let me know how it goes.

Posted 03/21/2007 04:29 PM   
well i to have this problem but also i have another problem as well. i now cant install or uninstall the game at all. guess i should back up a bit.

i have remove the bf2142 folder from My Documents and even remove the main folder for bf2142 . and tried to uninstall the game since it is still in the add/remove program which still won't work. the install shield will start up and the green bars go by, and then puff back to desk top.it does this for either trying to install or uninstall the game.

heres is the screen shots of what i see and then nothing

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SCAVENGER1/BF2142/bf2142crashforinstal.jpg"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SCAVENGER1/BF2142/bf2142crashforinstal-1.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SCAVENGER1/BF2142/bf2142installcrash.jpg"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SCAVENGER1/BF2142/bf2142installcrash-1.jpg[/img][/url]

even tho i have another pc to play this on. i have copy the main game folder over to my main pc and i can get it to load up and i can even set all of my option in game. and then when i go into a server i get kick for PB error. even tho i have the pb tool to retest the pbA and pbB . but still it kicks. but i also cant even patch up oy uninstall or install the game still.

i just hoppe it doesnt need to be reformate to fix it, and hat if it would.
well i to have this problem but also i have another problem as well. i now cant install or uninstall the game at all. guess i should back up a bit.

i have remove the bf2142 folder from My Documents and even remove the main folder for bf2142 . and tried to uninstall the game since it is still in the add/remove program which still won't work. the install shield will start up and the green bars go by, and then puff back to desk top.it does this for either trying to install or uninstall the game.

heres is the screen shots of what i see and then nothing

even tho i have another pc to play this on. i have copy the main game folder over to my main pc and i can get it to load up and i can even set all of my option in game. and then when i go into a server i get kick for PB error. even tho i have the pb tool to retest the pbA and pbB . but still it kicks. but i also cant even patch up oy uninstall or install the game still.

i just hoppe it doesnt need to be reformate to fix it, and hat if it would.

Posted 02/05/2008 07:50 PM   
BF2142 DOES support widescreen
BF2142 does NOT stretch the screeen to achieve this
Here is the problem.
the previous poster got this correct however there is ether a typo or he forgot to write WIDESCREEN
so: like this "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600
but with these corrections "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +WIDESCREEN 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600****
** you must put in your monitors max res. for instance, mine is "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +[b]widescreen[/b] 1 +szx [b]1680[/b] +szy [b]1050[/b]

Next- once you log in, you will notice that the screen IS infact stretched. Go into your Video settigns and select the res you manually put in. It will default at a res that is not widescreen and will be stretched. You will have to manualy select this to 1680 by 1050 or what ever you set the max to in the previous action. In other words if you changed the target line to:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx[b] lick my [/b]+szy [b]crack[/b], you will see that res in you video settings -: 800 x 600 1280 1024 etc and lick my crack. Find your max res by using the windows utility where you adjust your screen size /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> Jerramie lvl 80 feral druid from hell! and I play BF when the wow server is down
BF2142 DOES support widescreen

BF2142 does NOT stretch the screeen to achieve this

Here is the problem.

the previous poster got this correct however there is ether a typo or he forgot to write WIDESCREEN

so: like this "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600

but with these corrections "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +WIDESCREEN 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600****

** you must put in your monitors max res. for instance, mine is "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

Next- once you log in, you will notice that the screen IS infact stretched. Go into your Video settigns and select the res you manually put in. It will default at a res that is not widescreen and will be stretched. You will have to manualy select this to 1680 by 1050 or what ever you set the max to in the previous action. In other words if you changed the target line to:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx lick my +szy crack, you will see that res in you video settings -: 800 x 600 1280 1024 etc and lick my crack. Find your max res by using the windows utility where you adjust your screen size /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> Jerramie lvl 80 feral druid from hell! and I play BF when the wow server is down

Posted 02/10/2009 05:20 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top